A career as a journalist?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Verurtle

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

When you dont know how to copy and paste links such as email addresses?

DP is looking for a career change.  

He loves sports and wants to find a job where he wants to go to work each day.

He is looking into TAFE courses, but I dont know if it would be a career as such or more of just a hobby?

I know the TAFE course would be great for him as it will help him with tasks such as copy and paste, however I have stressed to him that I am not doing the course for him.

I think he should keep his day job and treat this more as a hobby, but I dont want to put him down.

How hard is it to get work as a journalist?

#2 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

He'd need to do a uni course in Journalism, such as RMIT, not Tafe... it isn't something you just walk into.

#3 Chief Pancake Make

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

Very hard to get work.

A friend (and most her friends) who have degrees in journalism have found it very hard to get work - and thats with a degree.  She had to move to the country and work on small regional papers originally.  Traineeships/cadetships are also hard to get and the pay is terrible.  My friend now works in communications, and most of her friends who she studied with are also no longer in the field.

#4 Lady Garden

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

It's a bit of a redundant profession. Proven by the massive downsizing at Australia's two major media companies (News and Fairfax) and the gross outsourcing of many functions such as sub-editing to offshore.

#5 Verurtle

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

Is there any other career or type of work that he could get into that is related to this?

The only other option he is thinking of is as a pit crew guy with a motor sport team.

#6 Laborious Nicety

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Sports journalism is very competitive and you'd  need a degree at the very least to break into the field.

It looks like your DH is at least dreaming large wink.gif with the career change.

#7 Lady Garden

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

He could start a blog reviewing modified cars. But that would be a hobby, not a job.

Good luck.

#8 Epitome

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

I have a masters in communication, majoring in journalism.
I work in lobbying/pr as do most of the people I went to uni with.

Traditional journalism is dead. Without established contacts in the industry you want to cover you are without a chance.

Sport journalists are increasingly retired athletes and/or their children.

Sure, he could write a blog... But I don't think the time and expense required to be qualified would be anywhere near reciprocated financially or professionally.

#9 **Tiger*Filly**

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

What does he do at the moment?
What sort of work does he want - in an office, in the outdoors, working with his hands, doing research, solitary, mixing and talking with lots of people etc. I would think that's what he needs to work out first.

#10 erindiv

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

You wouldn't be putting him down, you'd be being realistic. It sounds like he dreams big, as a PP said. Nothing wrong with dreams, but the sorts of dreams your DH is dreaming take a long, long time and a lot of hard work to achieve, and you're competing with hundreds, even thousands of other people who want the same dream job.

I'm sure most people at some stage dream of having a job where they love going to work. For some people, it just can't happen.

I'd say he should figure out a bit more of a vague area he wants to get into, research it, do it as a hobby and try to work his way up.

You mentioned being in a pit crew. Would he be interested in becoming a mechanic? That's a lot easier to get into.

Edited by erindiv, 05 January 2013 - 10:30 PM.

#11 Mamma_mia

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (melbelle @ 05/01/2013, 10:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a masters in communication, majoring in journalism.
I work in lobbying/pr as do most of the people I went to uni with.

Traditional journalism is dead. Without established contacts in the industry you want to cover you are without a chance.

Sport journalists are increasingly retired athletes and/or their children.

Sure, he could write a blog... But I don't think the time and expense required to be qualified would be anywhere near reciprocated financially or professionally.

Wow, good to know. I started a comms/journalism degree but dropped out when i was told i was not assertive enough to be a journalist (among other reasons). I had to agree and think it was the right decision.

#12 ~shannon~

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

I am a journo/sub editor who left the profession full time over a year ago due to DH getting a better job in the bush... Turned out to be the right decision, as I probably would have been among the many redundancy casualties. IMHO, I think your DH is dreaming... It is hard to get a decent job, the pay is rubbish, there is a lot of competition and he would at least need a degree. I am doing a small amount of freelance work, but it is only making me money to fund my hobbies, certainly not enough to live off.

#13 KylieY

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

I have a degree in Comms majoring in Journalism as well and agree that it is an almost redundant field.

Very difficult to get a job. I got my degree 18 years ago and if I had my time over I would have left school in year 10 and looked for a cadetship and even that is next to impossible. I sat the exam for a cadetship with the ABC where there were 600 people vying for 3 positions. 3!

All my jobs since finishing uni have been in PR type roles, never real writing roles to my great disappointment.

#14 Jupiter

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

Journalism is not dead. huh.gif

If you're prepared to go to the country, you'll get work.

But I would suggest going down the path of contributing/freelancing for particular sports, doing write-ups and taking photos.

It would need to be in addition to another job though.

#15 Jane Jetson

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

No, journalism's not dead. It's just lying flat on its back making a horrible rattling noise.

Honestly, while I love this job my advice to anyone starting out would be "don't do it". The model has changed too much, and while I believe strongly that there is a future for good writers and good communicators, traditional journalism is now centralised to the point where there are few jobs out there, and fewer *good* jobs. There is probably much better money in being a mechanic.

If he wants to write regardless of whether he'll get paid, there's always blogging, and if he's good at it - and good at self-promotion - this *could* generate money down the track, but it is a long shot and not something that should be planned for.

#16 Epitome

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

Journalism in its old glorious form is dead.

Maybe as 21 year old its feasible to move to a country town, do some work experience and then get a 45k a year job on the local paper (all of which are generally owned by companies which are laying off huge numbers of staff) work a shift roster etc etc etc but even for those positions you are competing against hundreds of applications.

As a man with a family and the associated obligations, I don't think so.
Especially considering its going to take at least three years of study and considerable periods of work experience and luck to even get that far.

The one person I know who has a serious career as a national journalist is scarily smart (as in did an undergraduate degree in political science at Yale) and his family is old money connected.

#17 Chillax

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

QUOTE (Jupiter @ 05/01/2013, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Journalism is not dead. huh.gif

Thank you. Not dead; simply changing. If anything, the traditional sense of a newspaper where reporters have weeks to research stories and take long boozy lunches is dead. Newspapers are being scaled back considerably because they consistently lose millions of dollars. There are exciting things happening in other forms of journalism though, particularly online. It's changing, not dying.

Anyone who works in communications should know this, rather than taking such a simplistic - and archaic - view.

That said, there is no doubt it is an incredibly difficult field to break in to. Very competitive - it always has been - but the shrinking of the traditional model means there are considerably less jobs going around. And whoever said the pay was rubbish was right. Particularly at a cadet or beginner level. I would think you'd find it extremely difficult with a family. And like Jupiter said, you'd have to start rural/country town. I disagree with those who said a degree is a pre-requisite though; there arejournalism schools around that do a great job with their students in one year rather than three.

If your husband has a passion for writing (a hefty dash of talent helps too), people and sports, there are ways to do it.

#18 minidiamond

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

If he can't cut n paste, yes, amongst many other barriers he would find it hard to break into the industry.

Im assuming he doesnt have great computer skills, but if I'm wrong, how about social media ? Or getting his computing skills and knowledge up to speed as a start.  It's growing quickly but some organizations might be prepared to give someone a break, especially if he's prepared to start out doing it in his spare time - very easy via modern day devices.  Identify organizations (eg motoring bodies/teams etc, I gather that's an interest ?) or just set up his own twitter account as a fan group to start with.  Twitter is a very small world in a lot of ways so it's easier to make "contacts".  Of course, that's not the be all and end all of social media but I reckon it's the best place to start if he's got the passion.

#19 minidiamond

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:01 AM

Double post

Edited by minidiamond, 06 January 2013 - 01:02 AM.

#20 findingada

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

I quite enjoy seeing changes to journalism, education, and the health professions as technology evolves. I came across this site recently: http://www.newsflare.com/about. Basically it provides a marketplace for video journalists and media outlets to do business. There are bounties for certain assignments and it seems to have some kind of ranking and reward system for contributors too. It is focused on the UK at the moment and I imagine there are other similar types of sites/systems too but I just thought it might be a good example showing how technology might open doors for talented journalists that might otherwise be closed?

#21 Maple Leaf

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

How hard is it to get work as a journalist?

I would say very hard currently. With the amount of layoffs from Fairfax, News Limited and APN happening. Plus having one journalist cover a huge area and also do their own photos as well as they are laying off photographers.

.Dh worked for APN for 20 years and now works for News so has seen so many leave.

I personally know a journalist that does car reviews for News Ltd, she used to cover the cricket circuit and travel everywhere so she's gone from sports to cars. She works from home and only goes into the city once a week to pick up a new car to test drive and review for that week. Her job sounds pretty perfect but she's been with the company for years.

#22 Verurtle

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies.

It most certainly is more food for thought.

At the moment DP is not working, he is looking to study at tafe and wants to do something he will enjoy rather then just labouring work each day.

The other course he was thinking about is kind of like mechanics, but will get him closer to the motorsport.

I know a tafe course will help him with styling and also computer skills.  I dont think he is ready for uni just yet as he needs more practical skills.

#23 Kalota

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

I was a journalist before I changed careers to become a primary school teacher. To become a journalist, you definitely need to study at university these days (as opposed to TAFE). I studied journalism at Monash and unfortunately it was very hard to get into. And even when I finished my degree, it was extremely competitive and so difficult to find steady work, even though I completed my degree with a high distinction. This is why I eventually changed careers to becoming a teacher - journalism was just way too competitive and too difficult to find steady work. And sports journalism was the most popular! sad.gif

I agree with you and other PPs that there are probably loads of TAFE courses that would lead him into a vocation that is suitable for him and not just labouring work. You said he loves sports - what about some kind of sports health course? Does he have any other interests other than sports? original.gif

#24 crazyone2989

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (Kalota @ 06/01/2013, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was a journalist before I changed careers to become a primary school teacher. To become a journalist, you definitely need to study at university these days (as opposed to TAFE). I studied journalism at Monash and unfortunately it was very hard to get into. And even when I finished my degree, it was extremely competitive and so difficult to find steady work, even though I completed my degree with a high distinction. This is why I eventually changed careers to becoming a teacher - journalism was just way too competitive and too difficult to find steady work. And sports journalism was the most popular! sad.gif

I agree with you and other PPs that there are probably loads of TAFE courses that would lead him into a vocation that is suitable for him and not just labouring work. You said he loves sports - what about some kind of sports health course? Does he have any other interests other than sports? original.gif

Haha I have a communications degree (major journalism) and I found the same thing so am doing my Masters in Teaching! Too funny!

I know very few people who did a journo degree who actually work as a journo or the ones that do work for very little or have spent YEARS interning (yup years not actually earning anything!!)

To be honest it does not sound like the right thing for him AT ALL. You need pretty good computer skills these days, helps to have a good idea of social media and all things digital. Given that is so competitive you also need to be a pretty amazing writer.

#25 Laborious Nicety

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

I know several journos, one who is a national newsreader but did a cadetship when we all finished school back in the dark ages.

All of the successful ones I know are old, old, old like me or older.  It's a very different world out there these days.  Even freelancing is tougher than it was 15 years ago.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Ideas for recording baby milestones

Get the props, lights and camera ready to record the milestone moments in your baby's first months and years. Tip: set a reminder in your phone (or jot it in a calendar) to make sure you remember it every month.

From penis amputation to fatherhood

After a botched circumcision as a child, Mike Moore was left without a penis. Years later, and after meeting the right surgeon, he was able to become a dad - naturally.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Your baby's first shoes, made with your own hands

Imagine someone saying to you, "Your baby?s shoes are magnificent, where?d you get them?" And you reply, "Oh, these? I made them."

Mother bites off pit bull's ear to save toddler

What would you do if your child was being attacked by a vicious dog? One mother recently had to learn the hard way.

Couple dies 15 hours apart after 70 years of marriage

A couple who held hands at breakfast every morning even after 70 years of marriage have died 15 hours apart.

Behind the scenes of Kate and George's cuddly photo

Every face is partially obscured, but there's no denying the happiness and love in the faces of the royal mum and bub.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Your baby?s developmental roadmap

Caring for your new baby can feel like driving along a dark highway without a GPS: you know your destination ? a happy, healthy human being ? but you?re not sure whether you?re heading in the right direction.

Breaking out of the isolation of motherhood

There can be many reasons for mummy isolation ? and you don?t have to be a new mother to feel like you're often doing it all alone. Here, mums share their stories of feeling isolated, and what they do to try to break out of it.

The billionaire baby with $10,000 worth of prams

When money is no object you can go all out when it comes to baby transportation, as this billionaire socialite has shown.

Medication helps depressed mums to breastfeed

Breastfeeding mums are often told their medication may pass into their milk, but a new study suggests the benefits of taking antidepressants are greater than any risks to baby.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.