Big Difference in Incomes / Paying for ... stuff

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 Bedge

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Hi All,

Here's the story ....

I pay my phone bill, business expenses, do food shopping each week, pay rego & insurance, pay for most incidentals (stuff for our dog, medicines, gifts for family/friends ...) .. I can basically ‘pay’ for myself plus some extras. DH pays my car repayment and our family private health insurance.

Apart from that, he pays for the rest of the bills and rent. He also sometimes helps me out with big bills, like car repairs and such.

Of course I appreciate all of this, he works very hard and we live in a nice home and have nice things.

Although ... there is often an undertone ... and I am reminded, often ... that I should be paying for these things and contributing more .... and that “other couples ........” Which is fine ... once upon a time I could and did. Although circumstances have changed and I do the very best I can. On the other hand, I do the majority of the house work and cooking.

I was just wanting understand how it works in other people homes, when one earns much more than the other?

Added Info:

So .. don't know if I explained this part ...

I have my own small business ... so I have my business account where all my business income and expenses come in and out from. I have had my own biz since we met. As I claim my phone, car and everything on tax, it all just comes and goes from my biz account.

And we haven't really evolved since then!

I don't really draw a wage from my income ... as some weeks are good weeks and some are quite weeks ... so I just live from my business account ..

We have talked about when I become a SATM, and things will be different then which he knows.

It just seems ... now .. frustration that I'm not earning 'more' when I should be ... and semi joking comments about his money and that I should be paying this and that ...

I feel a bit .... frustrated .. for quite a few reasons you have all mentioned.

Edited by Bedge, 05 January 2013 - 05:26 PM.

#2 Stellajoy

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

We have quite a massive difference in incomes but it all goes into one bank account and is "our" money. All of our expenses are joint expenses, except maybe clothes which I spend more on. I do t think either of us have laid personal claim to money coming in since a year after we started dating.

#3 barrington

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Any money either of us earns goes into a joint bank account and all bills are paid from that account.  There is absolutely no separation of different bills paid by different members of the family.

#4 GoodGollyMolly

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

We pool our income do its "ours" not one persons or the others. This has worked for lots of stages of our relationship from me being a student and earning half what DH earns, to us earning about the same, to me earning twice as much.

We still have (an equal amount) of money that's put into our personal accounts every fortnight for each of us to spend how we please, but all the rest of the income goes into our joint mortgage offset account. We both agree that's our top priority for our income at the moment.

#5 Julie3Girls

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

Both our incomes go into the savings offset account. Everything comes out of that.

There is NO my money or his money. There is NO "I pay for this, you for that"

We've done since the moment we got married. So at first, we were probably on equal incomes. Now, due to me changing to part time, I earn only a fraction of what he does. Thankfully, my husband appreciates that I bring a lot more to our family that just a financial amount, and it's never been an issue.

I could not live with what you are describiing.

#6 TenYears

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

We have family money rather than his money and my money.  We discuss big purchases, (of stuff for just one of us or household stuff), before we go ahead with them.

Do sort this out before you have children so that expectations are very clear.  It'd be awful to discover later, for example, that childcare is 'your' expense and suddenly your contribution to the household funds will be considered even lower than it is now.

#7 JECJEC

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

That would be a red flag for me. I have earned and brought more into my relationship financially BUT we are building OUR future together.

Other people do it and I have seen one member of a family struggle whilst the other buys a boat, cigarettes and in the other example motorbikes.

#8 CoconutBaby

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

Money in this house is our money. Has been this way since we purchased our house and combined our bank accounts. However, even prior to that we still never considered it as a "yours" or "mine" thing, despite having different accounts. We each worked, sure the pay was uneven, but we both contributed and generally whoever had their card out first would pay.

#9 I'msoMerry

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

I dont know why you would consider having a child in this relationship. You are making a family and home together.
I earn nothing as I am a SAHM. My DH supports me, our child, and my two sons!!

I would think VERY carefully about a future with someone like that.

#10 Guest_AllegraM_*

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

I am a SAHM now but until then, we both worked fulltime and DH earned 8-10 times my wage.

From my wage and rental income I paid the mortgage and rates on my own pre-marriage rental property and paid the rego, service and running costs of my own car and paid my own phone bill. Everything else was pooled with DH and it has always been our money, without caveat.

DH would have been happy to assist or pay all of my bills but it was a matter of pride that I continue to pay them myself as I did as a single woman. Furthermore, despite having a wonderful marriage to DH, I think it is important to protect your assets and show that they were maintained independently by yourself in the event of a relationship breakdown. I paid off my own mortgage prior to becoming a SAHM and the repairs and rates on my own property continue to be paid from my rental income.

Otherwise, what is his is mine. I am pretty tight with money though, so DH has never been in a situation where he has to go all caveman on me and tell me to reign it in.

#11 bikingbubs

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

Everything is our money.  At the moment I contribute $0 and I would be furious if he implied I need to contribute more at any time!

#12 Expelliarmus

We also have 'our' money. It's not flawless but it all goes into one account and when we need to pay a bill, we pay it. When we need to buy food, we buy it. If my car needs petrol I put it in, if his car needs petrol he puts it in.

I see very little point in having 'our own bills' because very few of them are truly anything but family bills. It's been this way since well before we got married, even though we weren't living together. If something 'of mine' needed paying he would pay it, especially if I didn't have the funds. (I had a casual job and his was full time)

Usually he earns more than me, for a time I earned more than him. Right now it's about equal. I'm never going to catch up - I spent a number of years as a SAHM, studying or working part time. I would be very annoyed if he was keeping score like that. It's not something that CAN be made even because you never really know when someone is going to go through a period of unemployment, will retrain or who is going to be the at home parent.

It's my experience that 'other couples' pool some or all of the money that comes into the home and that the majority of bills, especially as regards to the house/rent/utilities/food are paid for from the pooled money.

#13 FeralLIfeHacker

Yep OUR money here too, years ago when I earned more than dh it was ours, now I don't earn anything it's still ours, when it stops being ours there will be problems.

#14 Klinkalink

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

We have split finances (both due to need as DP runs his own business and it's also how we like it). Our incomes are quite different, but we do have a joint account.

Each fortnight we each pay an amount of money (the same amount) into the joint account, which covers PHI, groceries, utilities, everything for the kids (inclusing childcare), contents insurance, the kids' investment fund contributions and all medical/pharmaceutical things. All of those expenses get paid out of that account.

We each pay for our own petrol, car insurance and mobile phone bills (and I pay the mortgage and rates as the house is in my name - again, this needs to be this way because of DP's business). Anything apart from what we put into the joint account is our individual play money to pay for our own clothes, hobbies, etc..

It works well for us and I love not having to ask for permission to buy something for myself, as is causing a lot of friction with one set of friends we have. One of us has quite a bit more money left over than the other on a fortnightly basis, but that's OK with both of us. One of us worked their butt off living poor at Uni for years to end up with a well paid profession, and the other, well, didn't  cool.gif . The one who earns more does get the 'big' new toys for the household when they're needed though, like TVs, large appliances, holidays, so it evens itself out in the end. They do all the housework and cooking too.

#15 JuliaD

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Joint account here too - ever since we got engaged 6-7 yrs ago.
Couldn't stand the idea that we had to split costs of everything, when it was "our" house; "our" families, 'our' bills etc.
We negotiate if either DH or myself wants to spend a large amount (more than a couple hundred dollars) on something for ourselves (eg extras for DH's car, clothes/shoes etc for myself), but other than that, it's just our money and we do what we need to with it.

#16 Ally'smum

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

All joint accounts here, everything is ours.

Just wondering why this is only coming up now? Ours were combined once we bought a house together.What discussions do you have about money/shared goals?

We sit down once a month and go through the budget so DH can catch up with everything as I seem to do most of the financial side of things.

If he is holding anything over you I would be sorting that out quickly before it develops into bigger problems.

#17 jks91

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

We each get our pay split into three lots by payroll - mortgage acct, bills/joint savings acct, personal acct.  

We definitely don't have the same income level so it works out that DP's income pays more of the mortgage (as we are paying a good 1.5 times the minimum), he probably gets slightly more spending money (only because he's had some payrises since we lodged the forms and haven't changed it) but I would say that our personal spending works out equal.  Our contribution to the bills account is exactly the same.  

Before we had this system we had individual accounts and would generally say his income pays mortgage and half of some bills and mine would pay groceries and other expenses - similar to what the OP described.  My DP would sometimes make comments about him being the greater income earner but never in a malicious way.  It was easier to think about our income as shared money when we each organised our pays to contribute to each account, we did this after about 12-18 months after moving in together.

#18 Kreme

Once we bought a house together we got a joint bank a/c and all of "our money" goes into that and all bills are paid out of it. We've operated this way for 10 years now.
If anyone should be talking about what "other couples" do I think it should be you because in my experience the way you are operating is quite unusual in marriage.

#19 CallMeFeral

Our money is combined. There is no he pays for I pay for.

Once we had kids and I was off work/working part time because of this, it's not really fair to split money, as one person's income is heavily dependent on the other person providing the non financial contribution of labour.

#20 marnie27

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

You definitely need to sort this out before kids come along.

DP and I have separate accounts plus joined accounts, but we each have access to all of them. She's always earned more money than me though we came into the relationship with similar assets. We talk about what needs paying first, and that's what happens. Petrol, groceries and stuff for the kids is bought as needed with whichever bank card is easiest/has more money on it at the time. DP tends to buy herself more stuff than I do, when I want things it's usually a big outlay all at once (new camera and lenses etc).

I couldn't be with someone who resented my earning capacity.

#21 KBM

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

If that was how it worked in my house, I wouldnt have a car, a phone, any new clothes, a gym membership, DH would never get any birthday/chrissy presents etc - cos Im a SAHM and I have NO income whatsoever.

As DH likes to joke/moan to people 'I earn the money, she spends it'.  Yes I spend it - on the mortgage, the food shopping, the bills.  I buy clothes for me, DH and the kids.  I buy whatever I want/need.  DH wouldnt have a clue how much gets spend on bills, insurance, rates, mortgage etc.

However, there must be trust in this sort of relationship, I wouldnt dream of making a major purchase without discussing it with him, and ditto the other way around.

that I should be paying for these things and contributing more .... and that “other couples ........

Urgh, this just made me cringe - firstly, you do contribute bu doing the cleaning, cooking, managing the household etc.  If he had to pay someone to do this, it would cost a fortune.  Secondly, I dont know what other couple hes been speaking to, all the 'other couples' I know do not have seperate bank accounts, do not have your bills and my bills.  You are in a partnership, be partners - not two individuals.  Sounds like hes treating you like a tenant and room mate who needs to pay their own way.

#22 RainRain

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

Good topic Bedge...

Well we are probably in the phase of adjusting to that situation. It had always been discussed that if we have a child and I stopped working he would support the family...but personally I'm still getting my head around it. I have always earned quite a lot more money than him and not had to really think about what i spent. I enjoy having financial options while I make a good wage. If that was to stop i would have to give up some of my investments along with personal financial freedom...the idea of asking for money makes me feel really uncomfortable. BUT...this is just where I am in my mind as we transition from ME to US I suppose, life is forever changing.

#23 Escapin

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

Your husband needs to grow up. To be honest, no matter how fab he is in other areas, this is only going to get worse when you have kids. Like a few other PPs, I think you need to seriously consider if this is what you want FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

#24 mum850

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

ooh. I would be unhappy about that.

I earn four times as much as my husband.
It's all OUR money.
He works less. He does more pickups of our three kids, more shopping and more cooking. I do more cleaning and all the organising of Stuff. I complain that I do it all but when he goes away for work (often) I do notice it.

we have both been SAHP when our kids were small. Him more than me cos i earn a lot more. Though I had to do the whole expressing at work thing. Nother story.

#25 kpingitquiet

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

All our money is shared, no matter who is earning or receiving it. It's all ours. I honestly think it would be such a stress to divide out who covers what and who contributes more/most/enough. I'm not employed and I control all the finances. That gives him power of earning and me power of financial control. We find it an easy arrangement and low-stress on each of us in that regard. When I go back to work it will still all be our money, even though I'll be out-earning him by nearly as much as he does now. Who cares? The bills have to get paid no matter whose name is on the account. Why not just merge?

Reminds me of that one couple in Joy Luck Club who had a list on the fridge of things they "shared". Everything 50/50, despite him making 3x more than her.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.