Booster seat

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dadda64

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

It is legal to use a booster seat that doesn't have tethers (anchor strap) in a car where such anchors are not possible. The seat belt, together with an anti dive strap, should provide sufficient protection, as it does for other car occupants.  If a booster seat does have tethers, they must be correctly attached to an anchor point.

However, I have been unable to find any booster seat available for sale, that doesn't have an anchor strap.  Does anyone know of one please ?

#2 roses99

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

I have a feeling the Pegasus is the only booster that fits that description. All others have an anchor strap.

How old is your child?

ETA:

The following information is from: http://www.raa.com.au/page.aspx?TerID=790

The Pegasus Booster Seat is the tallest foam booster seat on the market. It is made from a compression resistant polystyrene foam, which provides added strength and durability whilst being impact absorbing.

The Pegasus is a good choice for vehicles that do not have anchorage points as it is not required to be tethered.

This booster features a “slide guard clip”, designed to prevent a child from sliding off the seat and to guide the lap part of the belt onto the hips.

This booster is compatible with a Child Safety Harness.

Edited by roses99, 05 January 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#3 Dadda64

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

Thanks roses.  

I did find that one but it I couldn't find anyone still selling it.  It seems to be out of production.

#4 IsolaBella

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

Infa produce a non tethered booster called the Traveller. It is a folding booster.

Only boosters weighing less than 2kgs can be used without anchor tether.

http://www.infasecure.com.au/product_range/14/Booster-Seats

Britax now have the Urban as their foam booster

http://www.britax.com.au/car-seats/safe-n-...ster-seat/urban

#5 HairyMaclary

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

Neither of those seem to have an anti-submarining clip.  Does this mean that there are no longer any untethered boosters with this feature?

We thought we had enough anchor points but have recently found out that we are having twins.  DS1 will be 7 when this happens and will have to move into an untethered booster.  Which of these would you recommend?

#6 ednaboo

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE (HairyMaclary @ 10/01/2013, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Neither of those seem to have an anti-submarining clip.  Does this mean that there are no longer any untethered boosters with this feature?

Sadly yes.  It is a mystery to me why SnS don't make a version of the Pegasus anymore - it might be worth emailing them to ask.  I think I would probably use the Infa as the armrests should help keep the lap belt low on the hips (though they don't look as snug as the armrests on the Infa Vario).  It doesn't have an extendable headrest though, so won't last a child as long heightwise as an Infa Vrio for example.

#7 Dadda64

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

Thanks Isola.  I've written to both companies as follows:

Do you have a booster seat that does NOT have a tether strap but DOES have an anti-dive strap ?
My car cannot be fitted with an anchor.

#8 TeaTimeTreat

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

The tether AFAIK is to prevent the booster seat becoming a heavy projectile in a crash when there is no child in it, so could you use a HiLiner or similar untethered when your 7yo is in the car and then put it in the boot when they are not.

You would be disobeying the instructions that say the booster seat should be tethered at all times but you could youtube untethered boosters v tethered in a crash test and use that to help make your decision.

Edited by sparkler, 15 January 2013 - 10:54 AM.

#9 IsolaBella

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

Dadda64 the Anti Sub clip is SnS patent design and will only be found on their sets. Infa go for Anti Sub Design by keeping armrests low. The infa seat has low armrests.

Edited by lsolaBella, 15 January 2013 - 02:57 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.