Jump to content
Repeat c/sections at what gestation?
13 replies to this topic
Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:27 PM
Just wondering if you have had repeat c/sections at what gestation they were done?
I'm pregnant with my fourth and while in surgery having my third daughter I asked if I was allowed another csection, the surgeon advised that yes I could however my uterus was very thin and they would do the next csection no later than 37 weeks.
I asked about this when I had my first appt this pregnancy and there is nothing indicated in my notes therefore they are likely to do it at 39 weeks as they did with dd3.
My concern is that they are also going off my first scan date rather than my last period and there is 6 days difference in my edd. Therefore going by there calculations off the scan date and only keforming the section at 39 weeks I'm effectively (going by my dates) having a section at 40 weeks not the 37 that I was told I needed when having dd3.
I'm hoping you can understand my babbling above but I'm just very concerned.
Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:36 PM
I've had 4 c/s and will be having another later this year. Thin uterus was mentioned at c/s 2 so my Ob decided to deliver the next two at just over 38 weeks. Next one hasn't been decided.
Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:45 PM
I have had 3 C Sections.
Mine have been at 36,37,38weeks. (Before 38wks due to medical reasons)
Baby born at 37 weeks and one at 38weeks were healthy at birth and no complications being born before 39wks.
Currently pregnant and doctor says I am fine for around 38wks.(I do have largish babies)
Edited by jewel2, 05 January 2013 - 12:47 PM.
Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:56 PM
I've had 4 c-sections. The first 3 were done at 38 weeks and the last one at 37 weeks - all elective.
Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:02 PM
Both mine were at 39 weeks - but two is very different to 4
Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:11 PM
My OB told me not to fall PG with #4 (as my uterus was close to rupture with DD at 36w3d).
I was told if I did fall PG he would have bubs out pre 36wks.
Private OB though.
ETA DS1 booked for 38w5d arrived a week earlier
DS2 booked for 38w(OB. Dates) 37w5d my dates
DD booked for 38w5d arrived 36w3d
Edited by lsolaBella, 05 January 2013 - 11:07 PM.
Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:18 PM
My first was scheduled for 39 weeks, but ended up happening at 36 weeks due to IUGR, second was scheduled for 38 weeks (I had developed GD) but he decided to come 5 days early.....so that was an emergency c, even though there was nothing very "emergency' about it...it was just that I had gone into labour (very early labour) ....both with a private OB...
Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:17 PM
I'm booked in to have my third in two weeks time. First one was at 39wks, second was an attempted VBAC which ended up an emergency csection, I was 41wks and this one I'm booked in for my due date.
Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:56 PM
The thickness of my uterus was never a concern so my caesars have all been performed when it was best for the individual baby.
First at just before 37 weeks due to DD having very little fluid around her.
Second at 36 weeks due to enormous size of DS and 6 litres of excess fluid.
Third at 39 weeks due to DD having complex congenital heart disease and needing to be supported by my system and grow as strong as possible so had to leave it as long as possible. It had to be scheduled though as we lived 3 ½ hours from the hospital.
Fourth was at nearly 38 weeks also due to DD's size.
Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:22 AM
I had one elective c-section at 39+1, and am having another one in July where I have been given the choice of 38+3 or 39+3 (OB does Caesars on Wednesdays) and I've decided to go with the earlier one, because I don't want to go into labour and I know if I choose the later date, I'd really be regretting it by 38 weeks, lol.
My OB did say that the recommendation these days is to go as late as possible, but in your situation OP I'd be after a second opinion given what the surgeon said in your last caesar. Good Luck
Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:34 AM
I've had 3.
DS1 was 38 weeks but his was an emergency c-section
DS2 was an elective at 39 weeks
DD was an elective at 39 weeks
But, nothing has been said to me about a thin uterus. I would ask again if I were you as you are worried about it. I wonder if you can get in contact with the previous surgeon and see if he has it on his notes somewhere??
Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:49 AM
I've had 3 csections.
DS1 was 38w5d
DS2 was 39w1d
Pregnancy 3 my uterus was seen to be thin and at risk of rupture.
Csection booked for 37w5d and I went into labour that morning so ended up with an emergency csection.
All with private Ob.
I would be asking for an ultrasound to measure the thickness of the uterine wall and check on scar.
Depending on what it showed, I would be requesting a date prior to 39 weeks.
Risk of rupture isn't something to be taken lightly. Good luck.
Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:33 AM
My 2 have been elective, not for medical reasons and my ob does them at 38wks 3 days. She wont do them earlier unless there's a medical reason.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users
Click now for your chance to WIN a Springfree Trampoline (R54 Compact Round) plus Australia-wide delivery ? valued up to $1774!
Baby Emelia's arrival into the world wasn't exactly smooth sailing.
Register now for your free ticket (valued at $20) for the Melbourne Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores.
You are over it and you want to know, is this all worth it?
Why do babies need vitamin K after birth? Here's what you need to know.
A heartfelt letter from a mum to her nine-week-old son has a struck a chord with working mothers everywhere.
Experiencing recurrent miscarriage is like entering an endless dark tunnel. Once you enter that tunnel it is a fight from start to finish
You will want to check your cupboard and give these the flick, after a recall was issued this week.
Top 5 Articles
Last chance for free tickets