Changing your baby name at last minute..

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Little.One

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

Hi everyone,

My baby is due in 3 weeks and we have a short list of names with one firm favourite. I mentioned to DH that I feel another of our chosen names might be a better option but wonder if we would always regret not going with our original name we chose (and loved for many years).

We've decided we will wait til baby arrives and decide when we see her before fully committing.

Has anyone changed their baby name choice at the last minute? Did u regret it? Did you use that name later on?

Thanks original.gif

Edited by Little.One, 05 January 2013 - 09:25 AM.

#2 casime

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

DS was going to be a different name for most of my pregnancy (and for years before that).  When he was born, he just suited a different name better.  I'm still glad I changed my mind.

#3 fooiesmum

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

We never really had a list of names - she arrived and I announced to mum & DH the morning after what her name was original.gif I think they thought it was the drugs talking (I was in ICU at the time) but it's perfectly her.

#4 AntiBourgeoisie

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

We had a long list of names we didn't really love for one of ours. We had 90% settled on one, but neither of us loved it.
When he was born, another name just suited him better. We still mused for a couple hours (to the frustration of the ILs who wanted to know NOW, LOL - it was actually sweet).
I never believed that babies 'looked like' or 'didn't look like' a name until then.

#5 R2B2

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Yes! our last daughter was going to be Lola. we had decided and stuck with it throughout most of the pregnancy.
towards the end, we decided on another name.

as soon as we looked at her, we knew she wasn't a Lola at all!!! sometimes, the change is for the best biggrin.gif

so far, no regret. I still adore Lola, but she just could never ever be a Lola!

#6 EffiesMum172

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Edited by EffiesMum172, 05 January 2013 - 08:30 PM.

#7 PurpleNess

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

We had 6 of each but didn't chose a name until we met DS, go with your gut.

#8 geckogirl

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

We had a name picked out for months. But after DS was born, it didn't suit him at all.  We love the name we ended up calling him. It suits him down to the ground.

#9 happygurl06

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

I saw a name when I was 8 weeks PG and liked it a lot, then after many lists and months we decided on Caitlyn if we had a girl.  As they handed me my daughter I said hello Alexia!  My husband just looked shocked, but I am so happy I decided on that first name I locked onto so early on.

#10 bakesgirls

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

DD3 was going to be named Isobel Emily from before she was even concieved. Then I gave birth. Within 5 minutes her name was Georgia Emily. We love her name and it suits her. I really couldn't imagine her with any other name. So no regrets here at all original.gif

#11 Feral Alpacas

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

We only had one name of each sex for DD1, an I'm glad the name suited her. With DD2, we had one firm fave, half a dozen back-ups, when she was born we threw out the list, none suited her at all. It took three more days for us to name her.

#12 Bluemakede

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

My mother did that with me, she had a female and male name picked out the whole pregnancy, she had a strong feeling I was a girl though. 2 weeks before I was born she changed her mind. I'm glad she did, I dislike the name she had originally chosen lol.

For me at the rate I'm going I won't even have a name chosen by the time I give birth, baby will just be called 'no name'.

#13 Etcetera

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

DD was going to be Caitlin - it's the name I've had picked out since I was about 14 and DH loved it as well.
We had two boys and then when we were pregnant with a girl, changed our minds!

#14 CallMeFeral

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

It's never crossed my mind to fix a baby's name before they were born. Shortlist, yes, but decide, no. How do you know it will suit them?

You can change it anytime before you've sent off the birth registration document original.gif

#15 ChunkyChook

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

I had a short list of 5 or 6 but she was still 4 days old before I decided.

#16 chickenpants

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

We didn't find out what we were having, so we had names picked for both sexes.  He was going to have a certain name until I was about 39 weeks and while tootling round the internet, found the one he ended up with.

Which was amusing because my anaesthetist ended up having the name we had originally picked and joked "Name him after me!" to which we were all..  "Ha, well... you only missed out by a week or 2."

Luckily, the new name we picked suits him perfectly and we can't see him as the other at all.

Edited by chickenpants, 05 January 2013 - 09:24 PM.

#17 Madeline's Mum

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

We had about 4-6 on our list, Atticus was the forerunner having been my swoon name for years.

When DS was born he just wasn't an Atticus and one of our other names (Hugo) was just him. I don't understand how people can go through pregnancy already having named their kids...

#18 Roobear

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

DS was named after he was born. We had a list but couldn't come to an agreement. When he was born we were able to agree quite quickly original.gif

#19 FeralHez

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

My parents changed their minds on my brothers name, it hadn't even been discuss but it suits him.

We had two or three likely names by the time dd arrived, one I felt we would use, which we did, one we knew was wrong as soon as we saw her, and one we thought about for a couple of hours but I am glad we didn't use as it wouldn't fit her and is quite popular atm.

#20 Expelliarmus

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

QUOTE (Madeline's Mum @ 05/01/2013, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't understand how people can go through pregnancy already having named their kids...

They are the sort of people who don't understand how talk about a name 'suiting' or 'not suiting' the baby. wink.gif

#21 SeaPrincess

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

We changed our mind on DD's on the way to hospital, although it was only a switch of first and middle. It wasn't the name we would have used if the boys had been girls.

DS1's first name was picked very early on. DS2 had a short list of 2 with different first and middle names but I only loved one of them. I hadn't even seen him when they asked me what his name was (he was whisked across the room for oxygen), so he got my favourite and it really suits him.

#22 Feral Madam Mim

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

DH and I had the name Lily on our list since ttc #1, we ended up with a boy so obviously didn't use it, it stayed on the list for our next baby but when pregnant decided we loved Anna more, so went with that as our number 1, and put it on the if DS2 winds up being a girl list lol, he obviously wasn't a girl so we still haven't used it. It is still on the list if we ever go back for another but has dropped from first place yet again.

#23 The 7 Dwarfs

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

My twins were going to be Matthieu and Olivia from the moment we found out they were a boy / girl, we'd announced them to everyone, even labeled their Christmas present with those names. Then 3 days prior to their birth, I decided I didn't liked them anymore. On the morning they were born, as the induction was being set up be decided on Victoria. Adrian was named soon after he was born. For the first few weeks I'd slip up and call them the wrong name though lol.

None of my subsequent children have been name Matthieu or Olivia for neither first or middle name.

I've named some before birth, some after birth. I don't really have a preference as to which is better. I also don't get the whole 'suiting them' stuff either. Hard enough finding something for me and DH to agree. I've never thought my kids looked anything but what we named them

#24 bakesgirls

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

I don't understand how people can go through pregnancy already having named their kids...

Does it really matter? You don't need to understand why people name thier kids what they do. For all you know it could be a family name, or a name after a loved one that has passed away. It could be a name that the couple decided they loved when having hypothetical discussions about their future family, and still continue to love the name. They do what suits them and you do what suits you.

Edited by bakesgirls, 06 January 2013 - 12:09 AM.

#25 fiveforme

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:41 AM

We changed DS#4's name after he was born, we had chosen a name and when he was born that was his name, but DH wasn't sure about it so 7 hours later we decided on a different name, we kept his original leaving hospital name as his middle name. I'm happier with his name as is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.