Would you agree with this?
He's home now. Updated post #83

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 bryce's-mummy

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

An opportunity came up for DH to earn some extra $$$ (as DH is not being paid over this two weeks due to Xmas shut down of his workplace). A friend of a friend told him that if DH helped him move house this weekend then he would pay DH $200. DH has his truck licence and this guy needed a houseful of furniture moved from Adelaide to Melbourne. About an 8 hour straight run. DH would be driving the truck which this bloke was hiring (and fuelling) and his mate (not the one moving but the mutual friend) would also come along to help (but can't drive the truck so that would be up to my DH only). DH was told to get down to the south of the city this morning so that he could help load the truck. We live up north so it took over an hour and a half for DH to get there (his car also broke down in the meanwhile). He was then under the impression that he would be loading the truck and leaving by around midday, expecting to arrive in Melbourne around 8pm where he would spend the night and then help unload in the morning and then leave around midday tomorrow, to get home in the later hours of tomorrow night.

DH called me at 7pm tonight and he told me that he was still at this blokes house! He said that this bloke was not organised and they spent all day loading the truck and packing up his house! He then told me that he would be still driving tonight!!! So he was up early this morning, worked all day loading a truck full of furniture in 44 degree heat and then was planning on driving the 8 hour journey overnight tonight! Not sure if this matters but DH has NEVER driven to Melbourne and in fact has only ever been there once before. I told him he was mad to do that for only $200. Yes it's $200 which for us helps somewhat with rent and is a lot of money but he can't be expected to do all of that for only $200!! And he had to go out and (in order to legally drive a truck) had to buy a log book which cost him $20 so really it's only $180 he's 'earning'.

So I asked him when he was planning to sleep (estimating he would arrive in Melbourne around 4am) and he said when he got there! I asked him who was going to unload the truck if he was sleeping and he said his mate and this bloke (who supposedly is following them up in his car). Yeah, right! But then he's planning on getting home late tomorrow night still (or the early hours of Sunday morning)- and he does also go back to work at 6am Monday morning.

I am worried that he shouldn't be driving a truck when he will be tired, both tonight and tomorrow (especially in this heat that we've had) and I am annoyed that he isn't being paid much for it. I worked out that its more than 24 hours of work!

Do I have a right to be annoyed? Would you agree with this? While I am enjoying the peace around here and the kids and I are spending some nice time together without the stress that's usually present here, I can't help but be worried and annoyed at the whole situation. Problem is- DH wouldn't speak up even if he did agree with me.  rant.gif

EFS

Edited by bryce's-mummy, 06 January 2013 - 09:31 AM.

#2 Expelliarmus

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

That's a crap amount to get for loading and driving a truck to Melbourne. It's crap money for driving to Melbourne! And it's idiotic to be driving at night unless you've had a nap during the day.

I would not agree at all.

#3 bluedragon

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

There's no way I would want my DH driving that distance at that time of night with that little sleep. No matter how much money he's getting, his life is more important!

Also $200 is not much for the amount of work he's doing, even if they left on time! This friend of a friend is taking advantage if you ask me.

#4 *lightning

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

If he wants to help out his friend then that's up to him but if he is looking at it as a job, yes he is being paid crap money for it.

#5 bryce's-mummy

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

Well now it's past midnight and I'm worried and upset and don't know if I should call or not.

#6 bryce's-mummy

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

QUOTE (*lightning @ 05/01/2013, 01:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If he wants to help out his friend then that's up to him but if he is looking at it as a job, yes he is being paid crap money for it.

If it were HIS friend then I may at least understand where he is coming from. But it's not his friend. He has never met the bloke. Just a friend of his mates. In fact- I don't even know who the hell it is (I don't even have his name!!!) I have no idea whereabouts in Melbourne he is going or anything!

Edited by bryce's-mummy, 05 January 2013 - 12:08 AM.

#7 wenchwitch

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

In terms of helping out a mate then I would have no problem with it. As an opportunity to earn $180 it is appalling.

#8 bluedragon

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

Can you contact the friend who is accompanying him? I'd be wanting to ring DH if it was me but wouldn't want him answering his phone or generally distracting him if he's on the road.

What about a text to say to give you a ring if they stop for a break? They can't do Adelaide to Melbourne without at least stopping for fuel.

#9 Bazinga

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

I wonder what are the regulations in regards to sleep/driving hours. Surely it would be an OHS issue as he's been awake for so long.

#10 bryce's-mummy

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:16 AM

QUOTE (bluedragon @ 05/01/2013, 01:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can you contact the friend who is accompanying him? I'd be wanting to ring DH if it was me but wouldn't want him answering his phone or generally distracting him if he's on the road.

What about a text to say to give you a ring if they stop for a break? They can't do Adelaide to Melbourne without at least stopping for fuel.

I just called and spoke to his mate in the car. Dh said he doesn't want to talk to me and that he'll call me in the morning. I'm not surprised. He thinks I overreact all the time- he can't see why I'm so upset with it.

#11 bryce's-mummy

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

QUOTE (Bazinga @ 05/01/2013, 01:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wonder what are the regulations in regards to sleep/driving hours. Surely it would be an OHS issue as he's been awake for so long.

I presume that's what the log book thing is for? But I have no idea really.

#12 Velvetta

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

$500 or more. Way undersold

#13 bryce's-mummy

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:22 AM

I wish he had asked for more- his pay is going to be bad next week and we have a lot of things to pay for. It certainly would have helped sad.gif

#14 bakesgirls

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:22 AM

I wouldn't be impressed at all if I were you or your DH. It sounds like a very unfair deal.

It sounds to me like your DH's 'friend' is taking advantage of the fact that he knows you guys need the money pretty badly at the moment. He's the one who suggested your DH to his friend even though I suspect he probably knew that the work would be worth a lot more than your DH is going to be paid.

#15 bluedragon

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE (bryce's-mummy @ 05/01/2013, 01:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just called and spoke to his mate in the car. Dh said he doesn't want to talk to me and that he'll call me in the morning. I'm not surprised. He thinks I overreact all the time- he can't see why I'm so upset with it.

You're not overreacting! I'd be reading him the riot act next time I got my hands on him tbh! You don't take chances like that on the road, it's not worth it.

But there is not much you can do about it now. I hope he is courteous enough to let you know he's arrived safely at least.

#16 aidensmum

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:33 AM

That's an awful was to treat someone. Most of the removalists round here charge $100 ph for 2 guys and a truck. If your ptr met them at 9am Fri and won't be home til after 9pm Sat that's 36 hours, so $5 per hour.  I'm betting he won't be volunteering to help anyone move ever again.

He probably doesn't need you getting him more stressed when he knows he's in a bad situation. Best if they just dump the guys stuff in Melb quickly and get a couple of hours sleep and come home.  Probably time to stop being nice to the guy who's moving. Not being packed and ready to go is very poor form.

#17 Bazinga

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:47 AM

QUOTE (bryce's-mummy @ 05/01/2013, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I presume that's what the log book thing is for? But I have no idea really.

Logs are easily forged. I'm sure there would be a minimum rest period that is getting overlooked. This is how accidents happen. I hope he arrives there and home safely.

#18 natangel

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:29 AM

I don't blame you for feeling cranky.

Your DH's so-called mates are really taking the p**s.

Your DH sounds like a good bloke (which would explain why he is being taken advantage of).

He definitely deserves better by way of remuneration; however, what's done is done.

Try not to worry too much; i'm sure he will be careful.

Best wishes for a safe journey.

#19 trishalishous

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:05 AM

Id be really annoyed too! Thats a shocking amount to be paid for such a big job! If it was simply load/drive/unpack/drive then I wouldnt have an issue, but not still packing boxes

#20 mpjp

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:31 AM

Terrible, he is being taken advantage of and ripped off. It would cost in the thousands to use a professional for that job. And the mates mate would know it. But you hassling him about it won't change that, he probably already feels bad/ used and you'll end up making yourself the bad guy if you go on and on about it. He'll focus his anger on you instead of the real culprit.

#21 Ireckon

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:02 AM

We paid $500 for a friend of a friend to drive our relocation from Sydney to Bathurst. 2 hr drive. We had already packed the house, we helped load and unload.

Your DH is worth at least that for what he is doing, perhaps more.

#22 casime

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

Yes, he's being underpaid, but shouldn't have agreed in the first place.  The guy is hardly going to turn around and pay him extra, and your DH knows that, which is why he doesn't want to hear you going on about it.  He's better to just get it done and not help again.  Nagging him is just going to stress him out even more.

#23 Holidayromp

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:15 AM

Your DH was taken advantage off BIG TIME.  I hope that they paid for all of his meals and drinks during this time.
When things are calmer perhaps mention to him that removalists are $100.00 per hour (that is what we paid).  But getting him to pack up the house PLUS drive is taking the p*ss.  He was only paid to drive the truck NOT everything else.  I hope that they pay him more for the extra work.

#24 MrsLexiK

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:58 AM

I'd be peeved at the friends mate for the little pay (or being disorganised) but I wouldn't stress to much if it was my DH driving the truck as long as someone else was in the truck with him. But my DH will work for the day then jump in the car with a mate or two and tow the boat say 8 hours away occasionally (my dad did the same) but and this is a big but I know my DH will pull over and take a nap if he has to or switch drivers if he has that option. I know this because he has done it with me in the car when I was on p plates and couldn't tow, and messages me to say "going to get there about an hour later we pulled over for a nap" if my DH didn't do that or I knew he would struggle saying "I need to pull over" I would think differently.

#25 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

I wouldn't be happy about it either.  Pretty annoyed actually.

But your DH is a big boy, what's done is done.  I'd keep my mouth shut and just wait for him to come home ASAP.  If your DH was/is annoyed as you are, then he will say something.  Otherwise, if he keeps his mouth shut, there is no point in ringing him up and hounding him.

Certainly a big lesson learned. Hopefully not to be repeated.

Yes, he's being underpaid, but shouldn't have agreed in the first place. The guy is hardly going to turn around and pay him extra, and your DH knows that, which is why he doesn't want to hear you going on about it. He's better to just get it done and not help again. Nagging him is just going to stress him out even more.
agree with this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.