Should I cut all my hair off?
I did it!

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

I've had short hair since I was 17. Most of that time wasn't just short, it was super-short. My hair has been every colour under the sun and I used to love changing the colour and/or cut dramatically every few months. But since I had kids, my hair has been so boring. I don't like any of the supermarket colours and don't have the time or money to go to the hairdressers as often as I need to to keep any colours looking good (I usually go for the bright orange coppers). I've spent the last 2 years painstakingly growing my hair out, but all I ever do is put it in a ponytail. I can't stand the feeling of hair on my neck or face in the heat and if I do wear it out, the front bits always get caught in my glasses hinges and break anyway.  So I'm seriously contemplating cutting it all off again.

One of my biggest issues is that I'm a bit fat now, and I naturally have a round face, so I'm really not convinced I can pull off short hair anymore. Anyone have any ideas for easy, low maintainence short hairstyles that suit round chubby faces? (hey, I figure if I can ask the impossible anywhere, it has to be EB!)

Edited by ~Karla~, 28 February 2013 - 06:13 PM.

#2 Clever Bunny

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

I am just like you, grew my hair out despite preferring short hair for myself. After one hot day before Christmas I cut it off to avoid the feeling of hair on my neck. Just search online for hair cut for round faces and there will be lots! I can't help as I have a longish face but there wil be heaps. I do find it important to have a really talented hairdresser though, short cuts can need more precision. Good luck!

#3 Jenferal

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

I have a round fat face and I've always had short hair!
At the moment I've got a shaped concave bob(I know, so common, yet suits so many!) with the longer front bits and the shaped back. Long enough to tuck behind my ears, short enough to suit me. Longer hair drags my face down.
Look for a cut with height in the crown if possible to lengthen your face.
A good hairdresser should be able to help you find a cut which suits.

DO IT!!!!

#4 Academic

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

Hmmm. I think I would be inclined to keep it longer, maybe get a fringe cut (if fringes don't irritate you too much and your hair holds them in place without too much work) and maybe experiment with different ways of wearing it up, other than just in a ponytail (buns, french twists, braids etc.) Most up-styles don't really take much longer than a ponytail, you just have to play around a bit.

Otherwise, I'd go for the ubiquitous bob rather than super-short - chin or ear-length really suits round faces I think, especially with a thick blunt fringe (if you like a retro kind of look).

As for hair colours, I have very bright orange/red hair and I do it at home with this brand. I mix Mandarin and Coral Red for my colour. You can buy it on eBay from Australian suppliers. Still a little expensive, though two tubs last me two colourings (two-three months) and I have very long, thick hair, so it would last way longer with shorter hair.

#5 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

Thanks girls. original.gif So far I'm definitely leaning towards cutting it off. I can't do a fringe -  I haven't had one since i was a teenager, but my forehead gets too oily and in summer, it makes my fringe super-gross within hours. sick.gif I don't really want to risk it again. Oh, and I have a cow-lick, so they don't sit right anyway.

I've been googling, but haven't found anything that jumps out at me yet.

Edited by ~Karla~, 04 January 2013 - 09:21 PM.

#6 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

I love pixie cuts. Chop it, it's only hair!

#7 Ireckon

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE (Swahili @ 04/01/2013, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love pixie cuts. Chop it, it's only hair!

This! I am currently growing out a short cut, it is now past my shoulders and I hate it sooooo much. DD doesn't want me to cut it like a boy again. It is just so easy short. Do it.

#8 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

I never did a true pixie cut before - my old cuts were always funky and edgy. I always wanted to try a pretty, feminine pixie cut though. Will it suit a 30yo, chubby suburban mum?

#9 Coffeegirl

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

Ok. I'm going against the grain here

Short hair needs maintenance.  IE regular cuts every 4-6 weeks.   If you don't have the time or money to go to the hairdresser regularily, then don't cut it too short.   I have very thick, very straight, short hair and I NEED to have it cut every 4/5 weeks or it looks feral.  In fact after 4 weeks I start to hate my hair.

Why not compromise with a concave bob or similar that won't take as much effort to keep looking neat, but is shorter than you have now?

#10 *melrose*

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

Photo please biggrin.gif

#11 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

Coffeegirl, that's one of the main reasons I grew my hair out to start with! I don't think a concave bob would really work, as i compulsively tuck my hair behind my ears.

Melrose, no. biggrin.gif

#12 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

QUOTE (Coffeegirl @ 04/01/2013, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Short hair needs maintenance.  IE regular cuts every 4-6 weeks.   If you don't have the time or money to go to the hairdresser regularily, then don't cut it too short.   I have very thick, very straight, short hair and I NEED to have it cut every 4/5 weeks or it looks feral.  In fact after 4 weeks I start to hate my hair.

Agree with this totally.  But since the OP has had short hair previously, I figured she has this covered.

QUOTE (Coffeegirl @ 04/01/2013, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why not compromise with a concave bob or similar that won't take as much effort to keep looking neat, but is shorter than you have now?

it's a safe choice.  I tried the concave bob as well.  The long bits at the front drove me nuts, but it did look nice.  Just not what I wanted.

I recently went the chop and had my hair cut into a style that was very similar to this, although my colour is a deep walnut (I suppose that's what you would call it).  I couldn't be bothered colouring it every time I go to the hairdresser (totally over that) and have decided to grow it out for my natural colour.

Super easy to manage.  I can funk it up with product or smooth it out and volumise it for a more conservative look.  Hair is cut every 4-5 weeks.  I love it, it's been great going back to short again and I don't know why I put it off for so long (grew my hair out for about 2.5 years)

#13 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

Do you think this style would suit a round face? Or would it just look terrible?

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=emma+wat...t=safari#miuv=1

Considering all I do now is tie my hair back in a ponytail, I figure it's not that different (nothing around the face, no volume etc).....

#14 Ireckon

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE (~Karla~ @ 07/01/2013, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you think this style would suit a round face? Or would it just look terrible?

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=emma+wat...t=safari#miuv=1

Considering all I do now is tie my hair back in a ponytail, I figure it's not that different (nothing around the face, no volume etc).....

Do it. A good hairdresser will get the pixie cut just right for you. Damn, I want to cut my hair.

#15 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

I'm having this dilemma right now.  I've decided not to cut it right now.  Agree with pp, it takes work (for me anyway), to have short hair, my hair is thick and wavy so when it's short and I wake up in the morning it stands up like a birdsnest. I HAVE to style it.  
When it's longer I can leave it and go or pull it up in a ponytail.
I have decided to cut it a little shorter but long enough still to put up.
I do love short hair on others though.

#16 mummahh

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

I say go for it, and yes, it is more maintenance at the hairdresser, but much less maintenance in between. Just wash, add some wax and you are done.

Find a photo you like online and save to your phone. You can search for hairstyles that suit certain types of hair (e.g thick, wavy or fine) and also face shapes.

#17 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

biggrin.gif Looks like I'll be cutting it all off! biggrin.gif Will have to wait until school and kindy goes back though, before I will have the time.

#18 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (mummahh @ 07/01/2013, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Find a photo you like online and save to your phone. You can search for hairstyles that suit certain types of hair (e.g thick, wavy or fine) and also face shapes.

This is what I did.  I took in 6 photos of some short styles that I liked.  Discussed with hairdresser - she ruled out 2 styles because they required more upkeep than I was prepared to do (blowdrying every day, etc) and 1 style because it would suit my face and the longer bits would annoy me after a couple of weeks.  From the 3 remaining pics, we figured out what bits I/we liked the best, what we didn't like and viola, a new me!

Go the chop!  You'll be glad when you do.  original.gif

#19 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

I've had the same hairdresser for 10 years - no-one else can cut my hair short the way he can. I've tried so many other closer (and cheaper) ones, but no-one else knows my cowlicks etc line he does. I do trust him completely with my hair and I think he will be excited that I'm going to chop it all off again - as long as I promise to maintain it! He has been very disappointed with my hair for years and years now....

#20 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE (~Karla~ @ 07/01/2013, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've had the same hairdresser for 10 years - no-one else can cut my hair short the way he can. I've tried so many other closer (and cheaper) ones, but no-one else knows my cowlicks etc line he does. I do trust him completely with my hair and I think he will be excited that I'm going to chop it all off again - as long as I promise to maintain it! He has been very disappointed with my hair for years and years now....

he will be beside himself with excitement.  Mine just about jumped through the roof with joy.  It was hilarious!

#21 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE (YodaTheWrinkledOne @ 07/01/2013, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
he will be beside himself with excitement.  Mine just about jumped through the roof with joy.  It was hilarious!

Yes, that's kind of what I'm expecting too! My last short cut was similar to the photo you posted earlier, but I was struggling with getting it to look good without washing it first in the morning (and at that point, i couldn't leave the kids unattended for the 10 minutes) and didn't have the time to keep it in shape. So we decided I'd just grow it out. And I to love being able to just whack it up in a ponytail in the mornings, but it takes so much longer to wash (and dry) and I don't like it out and frankly, it doesn't seem in very good condition.

I've been thinking about cutting it for months, but it's taken me over 2 years to grow it this long ( it's past my shoulders now) and I'm worried I will regret throwing that all away.

#22 jusstyce

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

I just posted a similar topic the other day. I have a round face too. I cut mine and love it, actually want to go shorter lol s my advice is GO FOR IT!!!!

#23 dirtgirl

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (~Karla~ @ 07/01/2013, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been thinking about cutting it for months, but it's taken me over 2 years to grow it this long ( it's past my shoulders now) and I'm worried I will regret throwing that all away.

If you've been thinking about it for months, then I think it's safe to assume that you'll feel great when you cut it off.

I have had short hair for most of my adult life, but after my son was born I couldn't afford the regular cuts and decided to grow it out. Growing out short hair is the pits, but after it had grown out past my shoulders (which took about 18 months) I started to feel boring and not myself.  I thought about going short for months and finally made the decision to go short again. All I can say is that the moment the hairdresser cut it all off, I felt a huge weight lift off my shoulders...I finally felt like me again.  I've kept it short for almost 2 years since. I have toyed with growing it again, but I tend to just cut it off again because it just suits me and my lifestyle better.

Yes, there is upkeep in having to go to the hairdresser regularly, but I find the time I save getting ready in the morning far outweighs the costs of regular cuts. Also, if you choose a good cut and play around with styles, you might be able to squeeze a few more weeks out of it, which means you can go every 7 or 8 weeks, rather than 5-6 weeks - it really depends on the style and your hair type.

I say go for it...just do your research regarding suitable cuts.  Maybe something with a long sweeping fringe like  this?

Good luck!

#24 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

Jusstyce - my hair is about the same length as your long hair pic. But I thinking of going much much shorter! I still have some reservations though.

Dirt girl - that's exactly what I did after DS1 too! But now it's longer than it has been since I was about 15! I don't want another fringe like that - I have a cowlick and I can't get a fringe to sit right without washing it daily and styling it and it goes gross in summer from my oily skin (or maybe it's the fringe that makes my skin so much more oily? I don't know).

Other than the super short pixie I posted a link to earlier, I haven't found anything that really jumps out at me. But I know I can just turn up to my hairdresser and trust him to give me a fabulous cut. original.gif

#25 Lyra

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

For a start you do not have a chubby face!

For a second: chop it off! I have short hair and love it! I do find that it does get feral towards the end but it's worth it for the hassle-free mornings

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How I learnt to relax about routines

After many routine-led, tough years, we've realised that being parenting isn't about being perfect. It isn't about following a schedule to a T.

Should you have a third child or not?

I thought our family had been complete with our two boys. I had no idea how much I needed my daughter until she was here.

Helping a toddler embrace an adopted sibling

A single parent by choice, I am preparing to adopt a second baby from Morocco. And I face a special challenge.

When pregnancy messes with your self-esteem

Pregnancy doesn't make all women feel beautiful. It certainly doesn't raise every woman's self-esteem.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Robbie Williams live tweets wife's labour

And the award for most patient woman in labour goes to ... Robbie Williams' wife, Ayda Field.

Vaccine ignorance is deadly and contagious

In the absence of credible, strong political leadership, paranoia about disease can go viral.

Parenting differently based on birth order

All children have unique personalities, but keeping birth order in mind could help when parenting.

How to get rid of the mum guilt

Motherhood and guilt seem to go hand in hand, but there are ways to focus

Paid parental leave scheme grinds to a halt

The future of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme appears to be up in the air, despite the fact it is due to begin in less than nine months.

The devastation of foetal alcohol spectrum disorders

No one's sure how many Australians are affected by foetal alcohol spectrum disorders, but the consequences for those who are can be devastating.

The pros and cons of finding out the sex of your unborn baby

It’s often one of the biggest choices parents make during the course of their pregnancy; to find out, or not to find out, the sex of their baby before it’s born.

Toddler's awesome dress up month

Two-year-old Willow and her photographer mum, Gina Lee, made October "Dress Up Willow Month". She posted photos of Willow's costumes on her Instagram account, and her creative takes on popular culture are simply adorable.

Childhood around the world

It can be easy to assume our ideas around childhood are universal, but they are particular to where we live, as these practices show.

Best picks for baby and toddler shoes

Here's a great selection of footwear from pre-walker to walker ensuring comfort and style for growing feet.

I lost my wife and daughters to Ebola - then it came for my son

Sunday, September 21, is a day I will never forget.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss. It involves toilet talk, and probably caused my miscarriage. But it needs to be talked about.

Prenatal testing: the facts

Prenatal testing is done to check if a baby has certain medical conditions before birth. Here is some important information about what the tests are for and the risks involved.

5 things to do with your baby?s old clothes

Did you think your only option for your baby?s old clothes was to pack them away or give them to the Salvos? Think again.

Why it's possible to not realise you're pregnant until the baby arrives

After hearing about 'surprise babies' born to mums who didn't know they were pregnant, it's common to ask "how did she not realise?" But experts say it's entirely possible for it to happen.

'My miracle is finally here'

How has the world continued on its pace when mine has been altered so drastically?

Dairy can help older women fall pregnant: study

Ice cream may be the ultimate comfort food, but a study suggests it could also help older women to have children.

Megan Gale goes topless for 'sexiest people' cover

Six months after a heavily pregnant Megan Gale posed nude for Marie Claire, the glowing new mum has gone topless for the cover of another magazine.

A new perspective on life from living with two diseases

A mother shares her personal story about the difficulty of living with two conditions, one of which stops her from being able to see her daughter's face.

Warning about Children's Panadol dosage

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has issued a safety advisory warning parents about confusion when using the dosing syringe supplied with Children's Panadol.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Take 'The Coles Big Nappy Change' Challenge

You could become part of our Test Drive team and win one of 200 packs of Coles Little Explorer Nappies as part of our 5-day challenge.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Weird trend

Couple has five babies in 14 months

Julie and David Grygla weren't sure they'd ever have kids - but their dreams have now well and truly come true.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.