Belly after baby
Would you share a photo?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Little.One

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

I'm almost 37 weeks pregnant and can't believe how much my belly has grown nor can I ever imagine it returning to resemble what it previously looked like! Do belly buttons ever go back in? laughing2.gif

Woud anyone be willing to share photos of their belly before, during & after baby?

Edited by Little.One, 04 January 2013 - 03:10 PM.

#2 mummahh

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

I don't have photos so I can't show you.

I do get what you mean though. When I was pregnant last time I would see girls the same size as I used to be and think "gee, there's no room for a baby in that body!"

I don't think it ever goes back to quite the same, but it does go back in (assuming you generally lose the extra weight you gained during pregnancy)

#3 raone

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

I would add but dont have them.

I loved my stomach before hand. I gained around 40 kilos ohmy.gif Im now about 4 months since birth got about 7 kilos left to lose my belly button is finally starting to look normal. The stretch marks gross me out and I have a little pouch. But I had a csection so I'm hoping when I can exercise properly again it will look almost the same. I'm guesing with a vaginal birth you could bounce back quicker.

#4 mysonsmum

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

Haha I have seen some bellys go back to normalish but I wasn't so lucky. I prefer my pregnant belly outy button to what I have now which is my belly button looking elongated & almost saggy. Very strange, in the days after I gave birth it was so big my son would put his foot in there huh.gif I'll try to post a pic for u but on the whole to be honest I am quite happy with how I look, I have never been in worse shape in my life but at the same time I have never appreciated my body so much, Goodluck biggrin.gif

#5 mysonsmum

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

How do u post a pic? Sorry I'm not very tech savvy

#6 Carabosse

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

Over time mine went back after my first, but the second one broke me! It will never look the same and now my tummy is pretty yuck, but I am trying to accept this wink.gif No amount of bio oils and body butters made any kind of improvement on the outcome laughing2.gif  Not showing photos sorry! I was huge with all my pregnancies (think strangers asking your due date expecting you to say 'next week' from about 6months) and babes were over 9pounds.

The body is pretty amazing though original.gif

Enjoy your final weeks of pregnancy! Just don't expect to spring back immediately!

Edited by Carabosse, 04 January 2013 - 03:25 PM.

#7 MrsLightyear

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

I'll be happy to share a photo, but I will need to wait till DH gets home to show me how.

Not sure it will give you the reasurance you looking for though... blush.gif

#8 HeartMyBoys

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

Everybody is different.
I had big babies, and my belly was huge. I ate right and exercised and my stomach went back to normal......no saggy skin. I didnt even get a single stretch mark, but i think thats genetics as none of the women in my family got them.

Eta.....i tried to add a pic but cant work out how. Can anyone explain pls

Edited by HeartMyBoys, 04 January 2013 - 03:42 PM.

#9 HeartMyBoys

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

#10 hunter4

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

I think this is one of those things where you can ask 20 people and get 20 different answers.  every body is different and every pregnancy is different.  Personally after my first my belly went back pretty well - I don't remember ever even thinking about it to tell the truth so I assume that it must have been pretty much normal for me.  My second however was a different story.  He was a lot bigger and my belly was a lot bigger, I had a lot more stretch marks too.  Now post #2 the belly is terrible, still all saggy and baggy and the stretch marks are  all still there. Probably not what you want to hear, but it could go either way for you.  Hopefully it'll all go back to normal easily for you.

#11 Little.One

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE (HeartMyBoys @ 04/01/2013, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Everybody is different.
I had big babies, and my belly was huge. I ate right and exercised and my stomach went back to normal......no saggy skin. I didnt even get a single stretch mark, but i think thats genetics as none of the women in my family got them.

Eta.....i tried to add a pic but cant work out how. Can anyone explain pls

So true about genetics! My friends belly went down within a day for both of her pregnancies and u wouldn't even know she had a baby. She was very lucky though and I have no high expectations like that! I'm hoping within 3 months it will have gone down and I can work on tone tone toning! laughing2.gif

Edited due to iPad corrections.

Edited by Little.One, 04 January 2013 - 03:50 PM.

#12 Elpie

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

OP there is a website called The Shape of a Mother where people submit photos of their bodies after baby (some include before as well). They also have a little post about themselves (age, number of children etc). It's really interesting.

http://theshapeofamother.com/blog/

#13 HeartMyBoys

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE (Little.One @ 04/01/2013, 04:49 PM)
15207403[/url]']
So true about genetics! My friends belly went down within a day for both of her pregnancies and u wouldn't even know she had a baby. She was very lucky though and I have no high expectations like that! I'm hoping within 3 months it will have gone down and I can work on tone tone toning! laughing2.gif

Edited due to iPad corrections.

Within a day wow! Not the case for me. It took me at least 3 months.

#14 Little.One

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (Elpie @ 04/01/2013, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OP there is a website called The Shape of a Mother where people submit photos of their bodies after baby (some include before as well). They also have a little post about themselves (age, number of children etc). It's really interesting.

http://theshapeofamother.com/blog/

Thanks for sharing original.gif

QUOTE (HeartMyBoys @ 04/01/2013, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Within a day wow! Not the case for me. It took me at least 3 months.

Yes her body responds amazingly! Even the nurses commented on uterus but she said the afterbirth pains she experienced were dreadful.

#15 whale-woman

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

I'm 34 weeks currently with #2.
I was just looking at a photo of me in a tiny red bikini with DD a year ago (aged 2). Flat tummy, no stretch marks visable, a few ribs visable, so skinny. So yep it does come back at least sometimes. I unfortunately didn't lose weight whilst BFing but as soon a that stopped I went back to my normal size/wt. I hope the same happens this time too. Fingers crossed. I'm mid thirties and had a caesar, so it's not just spring chickens who can come through these things relatively unscathed.

ETA I actually don't feel as big with this bub and am getting comments on how tiny I am, so I'm hoping I may escape the 'didn't spring back after #2 syndrome.'' Only time will tell.

I haven't got any stretch marks yet.Jinxing myself here:( My Mum tells she got tons... so even with the family history it MAY be possible to escape.

Edited by whale-woman, 04 January 2013 - 04:22 PM.

#16 mysonsmum

Jealous of people with those genetics! I only gained 16kgs during pregnancy & after 11.5 months of clean eating, daily exercise & lots of breastfeeding I am now 5kgs lighter than when I got pregnant & tho my stomach is flat the skin is very loose & saggy, I often tell my DF to hurry up & knock me up so I can have tight skin on my belly again. Sometimes even though u can loose the weight & get toned by eating well & exercise it doesn't change the elasticity of ur skin. But I can genuinely say I don't mind at all. You can tell it is there from carrying a child not from eating irresponsibly ect, I'm not to hard on myself. I just got back froma holiday where I spend a week in a bikini & was completely comfortable. Once your baby is born be kind to yourself & eat for your health & energy then no matter how your belly reacts you will be happy with yourself.

#17 HeartMyBoys

#18 deejie

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

There is a lovely YouTube video showing women's stomach post children and them talking about how they feel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=kfOBGQpG9fA

Some certainly bear the marks of pregnancy and childbirth, but instead of shying away from them, are proud of them. I thought it was a beautiful video and made me rethink how I feel about my post-baby body.

#19 Little.One

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (deejie @ 04/01/2013, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is a lovely YouTube video showing women's stomach post children and them talking about how they feel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=kfOBGQpG9fA

Some certainly bear the marks of pregnancy and childbirth, but instead of shying away from them, are proud of them. I thought it was a beautiful video and made me rethink how I feel about my post-baby body.

Wow that was interesting. Thanks for sharing! original.gif

#20 MyButterflyGirls

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

I'm one of those annoying people who bounced back pretty much to normal after each of my two kids. Lost almost all of my weight within 4 weeks and back into my skinny jeans within 2 weeks. My skin has gone back to normal (despite being pretty large at the end!) and I have no stretch marks. I have an ordinary (bordering on crap!) diet and wouldn't know what exercise was if it hit me in the face.

My figure wasn't amazing to begin with or anything but I started slim and I'm back to slim. I'm just incredibly lucky with my genetics I guess. (I told you I was annoying.) But I suppose I give hope that others might have the same outcome? I'd post some pics but don't want to come across as too gloating. sad.gif  Urgh I sound gloating no matter how I word it. Sorry.

Good luck with your birth! original.gif

#21 Lokum

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (Little.One @ 04/01/2013, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm almost 37 weeks pregnant and can't believe how much my belly has grown nor can I ever imagine it returning to resemble what it previously looked like! Do belly buttons ever go back in? laughing2.gif

Woud anyone be willing to share photos of their belly before, during & after baby?

Mine at 38+3 was horrific. My fundal height was 44cm at 37+4, if that gives you some idea. I would have given octomum a run for her belly.

I lost my belly button around the 32 week mark, to my utter disgust.

I don't want to share pics, as the baby's only 6 weeks old. I have purple stretch marks and it's quite flabby, but already remarkably shrunk, down to slimfit size 12 jeans and shrinking. With no effort. I am at the point where I need to start watching it though, or I won't lose anymore.

My belly button, returned back to its neat shape (innie, not outie)  almost immediately.
As with 1st birth, I'm expecting my stretchies to fade to silvery nothings in about 12 months. It's amazing.

#22 Squick

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

Just because I have no shame, let's see if this works...

Me pregnant. Went to 40+11 with 8lb10oz baby. Gained 20kg during pregnancy.

Me now. No obvious stretch marks so that helps.

Edited by MrsBG, 04 January 2013 - 07:47 PM.

#23 Feral_Pooks

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

This is mah tummeh, 10 months post birth. Sorry it is sideways. I can't edit it on my iPad. You can see some scarring around my belly button from my laparoscopy, that removed the painful endometriosis and helped restore some fertility about 3 years ago. There are some big long stretch marks on the lower middle and left, as this is where DS's head and shoulders seemed to be for a while there, and his feet were up in my ribcage on the right original.gif as you can see, I am a real "pear shape" and my hips actually seemed to have most of the stretching to do to accommodate my baby, there are lots of small, translucent stretching marks along my hips. I still have a little pooch belly but that is partly because I am overweight at the moment, which doesn't really bother me but the way my tummy holds the weight has certainly changed. I have found that my body shape overall has just changed and that different styles of clothing are more flattering and comfortable now than pre-baby. It took me a while to get used to the physical changes but now I love them, I love them as a reminder of what my body accomplished, and my DP thinks I'm a spunkaroo so that is all that matters to me original.gif

#24 axiomae

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

I actually found I looked at my body with so much more respect following the birth. Like, I made a baby! What an amazing machine! The extra kilos and few stretch marks I did gain don't bother me at all. I'm 5kgs more than my pre baby weight, and despite needing a new wardrobe, I couldn't care less! And I was always one of those women who complained about not being skinny enough when they are really actually quite thin.

#25 password123

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

I was huge. Belly button out at 24 weeks. I have no pregnant belly pics on this phone. But here is a 5 months post c section pic. No stretch marks and a small flap over the scar. It's been 2 months since that was taken and I've managed to improve a bit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.