Which names do you really like and why?
Spin off

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Ingrid the Swan

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

Spin-off for balance (and as a self distraction as DD is asleep and the TV is failing me - ABC for Kids is actually the best thing on).

What classes / styles of names do you really like?

Obviously there are exceptions to every group, but on the whole...

1. I tend to like feminisations on girls - Claudia, Georgia, Harriet, Erica, Carla, Carlotta

2. I like unisex names for both boys and girls,  depends on the names as to which I prefer for which gender but it's not always around the traditional usage lines

3. I like more out-there names for girls, there are a few in the top 20 I like but the popularity puts ne off, but there are more outside the top 100 I like than inside it. I prefer more classic and popular names for boys - but not too popular.

4. I like simple names, not too many different ways of spelling and pronunciation, not too many syllables / number of letters and not too fancy.

Anyone else?

#2 Broxie

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

Something simple, properly spelled, with a history.

#3 Chief Pancake Make

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

Freya

#4 fluttershy

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

//

Edited by EHB, 06 January 2013 - 07:10 PM.

#5 Bel Rowley

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

I like:

1. Girls names that are long and frilly, often feminisations, typically from the Romance languages but with exceptions.

2. I like Italian and Spanish boys' names too, but also like a lot of Scandinavian names for boys.

3. I do like a lot of the popular classics for boys and girls: Sophie, Charlotte, Thomas, Samuel... but prefer not to use names that are too commonly used for my own children.

Edited by Bel Rowley, 04 January 2013 - 12:22 PM.

#6 Mummytoyou

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

Traditional ones.
Irish ones.
I love Malachy and Caitlyn.

#7 Lucretia Borgia

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

QUOTE (Chief Pancake Make @ 04/01/2013, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Freya

biggrin.gif

I like French and Italian names (despite being neither Italian nor French) .....they just "look" really nice...written, and to me they sound nice.....

I wasn't able to use any of the Italian or French names which I liked for my boys, due to DH thinking it was "pretentious" and no one would pronounce them correctly.

So I went with quite traditional English names (although Charles is obviously French as well as English)

#8 emlis22

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

1. Names from Greek mythology

2. Classic names for boys eg William, Henry, Thomas

3. Names for girls that are feminine but not a frill fest

Edited by emlis22, 04 January 2013 - 12:41 PM.

#9 Kikki-B

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

I love short, sweet names that are not in the top 100. At the moment I am thinking Lila or Ayla for my bub to be. Also love Asha but can't consider it because it's my nieces name
I find boys names really hard - just don't seem to love any!

#10 Magnus

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

I like frilly names, much to DPs disgust. Names like Seraphina and Isadora.

I like a lot of old man names that others might not like, e.g. Wilbur, but not all of them.

Nameberry has a list called 'clunky but cool names' (I think) and I really seem to like that category of pretty, but slightly awkward names. I'd say my taste is quirky.

I like quite a lot of biblical names for boys, even some of the fairly out there ones.

I also like soft sounding names for boys, like Ambrose.

I love the sound of names beginning with 'I'. I think Imogen, Isadora, Ishmael, Indigo, India, Iris, Isaiah and Isaac all sound great.

#11 glasnost

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

I really like "neutral" and classic names. I believe that certain names pidgeon-hole people and I don't want a name to dictate my children's future. I think that this is especially important for girls which is why I prefer names like Sarah, Alexandra, Louise etc as opposed to floral and girly names. When we were naming our children we tried to choose names that would be just as fitting for the prime minister as they would be for a teacher or a plumber or a rock star. No easy task!

That is just my opinion though and I know many people will disagree with me. Clover Moore (mayor of the City of Sydney and a women definitely not known for her wilting personality) proves me wrong I guess!

Edited by mamasaurus, 04 January 2013 - 02:01 PM.

#12 JuniPooks_

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

A lot of the names I have a special place in my heart for, are girl characters in books that I loved around age 11-12. That time in my life I seemed to do nothing but read. Mostly this was fantasy and old English classics. Names like Beth, Amy, Elizabeth, Eleanor...

I like short names, as a rule. One, two syllables, mainly.

I also like OT biblical names- Adam, Abel, Noah, Jonah, Moses, Ethan, Sarah, Hannah, Ruth, Rebekah, Rachel, Leah, and to a lesser extent NT names... I do love Luke though.

Mostly that is because I like what I consider to be "strong sounding" names.

I like names that have a beautiful meaning, especially from nature.

#13 PixieVee

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

My favourite girls name at the moment is Miranda. I just think it's wicked.

For boys I don't really have a love at the moment...

#14 Banana Pancakes

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

I like a lot of girl names that end in a 'A'- Lucia, Anna, Gemma, Rosa (love this name!) Nora etc
I like many Welsh and Scottish sounding names Arwen, Eirwen, Gwendolen, Sorcha, Lachlan and RĂ²nan.
I also love names that have obvious nicknames, Im a huge fan of nicknames  wink.gif

My favourite girls name at the moment is Miranda. I just think it's wicked
I love it as well, it just sounds so sophisticated.

Adam, Abel, Noah, Jonah, Moses, Ethan, Sarah, Hannah, Ruth, Rebekah, Rachel, Leah
Leah, Ruth, Noah, Moses, Ethan, Sarah and Rachel are beautiful names.

Isadora
Swoon, its up there with Lenora!

I like French and Italian names (despite being neither Italian nor French) .....they just "look" really nice...written, and to me they sound nice....
I love how the French say Adele. Most Aussies just butcher it!

#15 la di dah

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

1) I like Biblical names, primarily but not exclusively the "old" ones. Boys are easier than girls, as there's soooo many options, but I like Biblical names for girls too. Mostly not New Testament but there's a few of those too.

2) I like plant/tree/gemstone names a lot. I don't like EVERY botanical name -  but I like most of them. I like a lot of gemstone names. And I like names that have plant meanings in other languages, like Shoshana or Rosalba or whatever.

3) I like Isolde, Rosamund, Bellicent, Viola type Arthurian/Medieval/Shakespearean/fantasy novel names. For boys that's probably Lysander, Demetrius, Tristan, Alan, Raoul, Gareth.

4) I like Hebrew names and Gaelic names. I'm Jewish and DH is Irish-descent. I like names that reflect that. Some of the combos work better than others though.

#16 Ianthe

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

I love

-Irish names for girls in particular.
-pretty but strong names for girls like Freya and Phoebe
-name that were more common around 100 years ago or that sounds old fashioned-George, Edmund,Florence, Clementine
-names with a nice meaning-Felix and Isaac are great examples of this
-awesome sibling combos-Judd Apatow and Leslie Mann have two daughters named Maud and Iris and that just makes me so happy
-Biblical boy names
-a lot of Shakespearean names. I wouldn't personally use them on boys but I love if other people do. Benedict, Lysander, Celia, Audrey, Miranda, Jessica, Beatrice, Ophelia
-I tend to like boys names that sound a bit soft-I like ''s's" in boy's names.

#17 Ianthe

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE (Chief Pancake Make @ 04/01/2013, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Freya

My daughter and I thank you wink.gif

QUOTE (Magnus @ 04/01/2013, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like frilly names, much to DPs disgust. Names like Seraphina and Isadora.

I like a lot of old man names that others might not like, e.g. Wilbur, but not all of them.

Nameberry has a list called 'clunky but cool names' (I think) and I really seem to like that category of pretty, but slightly awkward names. I'd say my taste is quirky.

I like quite a lot of biblical names for boys, even some of the fairly out there ones.

I also like soft sounding names for boys, like Ambrose.

I love the sound of names beginning with 'I'. I think Imogen, Isadora, Ishmael, Indigo, India, Iris, Isaiah and Isaac all sound great.

Adore Seraphina, Isadora and Wilbur. I also have a thing for "I" names-I love Ines too.

QUOTE (Pooks_ @ 04/01/2013, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A lot of the names I have a special place in my heart for, are girl characters in books that I loved around age 11-12. That time in my life I seemed to do nothing but read. Mostly this was fantasy and old English classics. Names like Beth, Amy, Elizabeth, Eleanor...

I like Katy and Clover for the same reason.

My brother and SIL are having a baby in February and naming her Bethany. We are really hoping we will be allowed to call her Beth.

#18 la di dah

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE (Ianthe @ 04/01/2013, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love

-Irish names for girls in particular.
-Biblical boy names

This seems to be what we're falling into, too.  happy.gif

Except sometimes I get a bit muddled at Irish vs. Scottish or Welsh but I'm getting better!

#19 Ianthe

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

I said a long time ago that is what you should do LDD! I am very pleased wink.gif

#20 emlis22

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (Banana Pancakes @ 04/01/2013, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like a lot of girl names that end in a 'A'- Lucia, Anna, Gemma, Rosa (love this name!) Nora etc

How could I have missed my 'Ora' affection. I love Flora, Cora, Elnora, Nora, Lenora, Leonora, Annorah, Theodora, Liora, Honora, Thora etc .. I love them ALL biggrin.gif

#21 mysonsmum

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

I like Grady for a girl. It's very different but still simple & not weird! I think it's feminine with out being too girly girl.

#22 JuniPooks_

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (asha9 @ 04/01/2013, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like Grady for a girl. It's very different but still simple & not weird! I think it's feminine with out being too girly girl.

That is pretty cool!

#23 SophieBear

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

I love classic and simple names eg James, Thomas, Henry, William for boys and Anna, Ava, Sadie, Grace and Amelia for girls.

#24 4kidlets

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

I like short names with easy to understand spelling and pronounciation - not neccesarily the traditional spelling.

One or two syllables, although  I do like a few 3 syllable names too.

For example, I have a DD Dayna - now  I know it can be spelled Dana - but nobody reads out Dayna and gets pronounciation wrong (except la di dah who thought it was same as Donna LOL tongue.gif ) or doesnt get spelling after one spell.

I like names that dont get nicknamed or minimal nickname - ie Jenna getting shortened to Jen is ok but wouldnt do Elizabeth and always call her Beth.

I like many  flower and nature names and many biblical names - but not all of them, usually only those which fit the short easy to spell/pronounce rules as above.

#25 Zanbam

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

Having a name that no one has ever heard of has been a blessing and a curse for me, though day to day, more of a curse due to spelling and pronunciation.

Hence for my future bub I was determined to go strait forward for a name (while avoiding being the same name as 5 others in their class - my DSD has 4 friends called Katie/Caitlin and my DSS had 5 Jacks in his class of 15 boys).

Anyway, now the time has come for discussing names as we are TTC, we will almost definitely go with Robin for a girl and Griffin for a boy, I think the boy name is much more quirky than planned but due to our surname and DH not having exactly the same taste as me it is front runner.

BTW if I was going to be a single mum I might go Samara or Archer.

Edit for formatting doh IPad!

Edited by Zanbam, 04 January 2013 - 05:45 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.