I have some newbie questions
No idea what I should be doing!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 *RockTot*

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

Sorry for the rambley post...

DD has lost 30g since she was weighed a week ago.  I'm crushed as I thought we were doing so well.  I had supply issues with DS - I thought this time would be different sad.gif

I'm at a loss as to why she would have lost weight - I'm demand feeding, she is a bit up and down with her feeds - sometimes she sucks well, other feeds she only sucks for a short period.  Her attatchment isnt the best, but I can hear her swallowing.  
She prefers one breast over the other, and seems to not try very much at the least preferred side, so when I switch to the other side she will suck much better.  I'm worried I could end up with Mastitis again because she is not draining the other breast completely.  Or maybe there is just not much in it?  I can never express more then a few drops from this breast, but the other I can get 30mls or so.

Also, Should I be switching sides?  Or is that only for the colostrum stage?  DD feeds for around 20-25mins at once side before nodding off, so even if I put her on the other side when she stops sucking, she might only take 4-5 proper sucks in 10mins.  Again, I'm worried about Mastitis!

Any tips on what I can do to boost her weight back up again?  Other then expressing?  I honestley dont have the time to express, and I get so little out anyway...

#2 deejie

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

Hi Rocktot,

Don't get yourself disheartened by the 30g loss. You said you are at a loss, but it doesn't seem that way from your post. You are obviously a very clued-in, observant mother and have an idea of where to start tackling the problem. It is not automatically a supply issue, it could be combination of things.

If you think your daughter's attachment isn't the best, is it possible to see a lactation consultant to work on that? A deep, proper latch will help her feed from the breast far more effectively. Some councils have breastfeeding clinics, public hospitals, or of course you may have access to a private one who can come and see you in your own home.

My children have always preferred one side too. The nipple on my left is slightly flatter and the flow is never as good. Some things I did on the "bad" side was breast compressions-- as your baby is feeding, squeeze the breast towards the nipple to increase the flow. Watch for swallowing.

After taking one side, change your daughter's nappy to rouse her and then offer the other. Try to avoid your baby falling asleep on the breast early on. You can do breast compressions as above, tickle their feet, stroke their cheek gently, walk your fingers gently up their back. If the sucking slows, use your tricks to keep her feeding as long as you can.

How long is your daughter typically going between her "demand" feeds? Any long stretches where you could sneak in an extra one? Is it possible you need to do a couple of extra feeds over the course of a day?

#3 MintyBiscuit

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

Deejie has some great advice, but I just wanted to second the switch feeding. DS always favoured my right side and it would be a struggle for him to drain the left, so I would switch sides a number of times throughout a feed, especially in the early days. I found giving him a little tickle behind the ear would help to rouse him if he was getting sleepy during a feed, and I'd also often lightly pat his bottom during a feed to keep him awake.

It may not be helpful for a baby as young as your DD, but when DS was a little older (maybe 4-6 weeks?) I would actually pop him off the breast if he fell asleep and that would usually rouse him enough to get him sucking again. Arduous, but it did the job for us.

#4 lucky 2

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

Hi there, what did your chn suggest you do to help your baby grow?
I second the pp's suggestions to get more milk into your baby.
If you are having bfing difficulties then try and see a LC asap.
If bfing is really problematic, ie baby too sleepy to suckle enough or breast is developing blocked ducts then express after those feeds to keep your milk production happening and to get some milk out to give to your baby.
Since you have a history of low supply I am inclined to think that expressing after feeds atm may be helpful to maximise your chances of reaching a full supply.
It would be great if your baby could do all the work but if she has lost weight then this is an indication that less milk has been removed from your breasts (and into baby) than ideal and expressing will help until the problems are sorted.
This doesn't necessarily mean that your supply potential is low but that your baby may not be attaching and breastfeeding effectively which leads to less than ideal intake and under stimulates milk production. I hope that made sense.
I am hoping your chn worked with you on a feeding plan and booked a follow-up visit.
If there is a time lag in seeing a LC you could also call the ABA.
All the best.

#5 Loz07

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:15 AM

Hi,

Were the weigh conditions exactly the same both times? Same set of scales, same amount of clothes (or lack of!), pre (or post) a feed, pre (or post a poop)? If any of these were different it could easily account for the 30g difference (or more!) Is your baby happy, alert (as a 2 week old gets!), settling well, having plenty of wet and poopy nappies, nice and pink? I say this because while weight gain is obviously important, it is not the only indicator of a healthy baby. My DD lost mmore than 10% and took more than 2 weeks to gain it back, but none of the health professionals who reviewed her were overly concernced because she fit the above (we were still working on feeding etc tho).

Having said that, re your supply
* agree with the pp's about having a feeding plan (eg on demnd, but no more than 3hourly during the day/4 hourly overnight)
*agree with seeing a LC/CHN/midwife to assist
*agree about still switching sides, and even switching back (eg, offering 3 or 4 breasts during a feed)
*from what I understand, it is milk out and nipple stimulation that promotes milk supply so offer extra/longer feed(s) and/or express. I was told in the early days when trying to boost supply to express after a feed for not more than 10 mins per side (told tht longer can cause nipple trauma early), so 20 mins a couple of times a day? Or even expressing on the non-preferred side to help its supply?
*can you offer the non-preferred side firstt when she is especially hungry and more likely to drain?
*fennel tea is supposed to help supply, and boobie biccies - there are recipes online (and maybe here on EB) or you can buy from Pinky McKay's webiste Pinky McKay

Good luck!

#6 happygurl06

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

My DS lost weight for longer than expected as well.  Unfortunately the third in home MCHN was useless and actually said to me "I don't understand this whole having to breastfeed thing and the emotions involved, maybe it's because I don't have kids".  She left and I called the ABA in tears.  I had a wonderful lady talk me through how to keep an eye on his attachment and swallowing and how to identify letdown.  DS was not having heavily wet nappy's and had not done poo in days, he slept alot and would fall asleep feeding.  The ABA consultant suggested expressing and feeding via bottle (offering breast at the end) and got me onto a LC.  

As it turned out DS had tongue tie that was not noticed in hospital or by the three MCHN's we saw.  He had to try so hard to get milk that it tired him out.  I got that fixed and with one more visit from the LC we were well on the way to a much better BF relationship... Still going strong now at 13 months.

Use the resources that are available, I didn't with my first and had a terrible time.

Edited by happygurl06, 06 January 2013 - 09:17 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.