Be prepared and stay safe!
Catastrophic/Extreme bush fire warnings!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 -*meh*-

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

To all of our hills/country dwellers where there is such a warning today please stay safe and be prepared.

I would prefer you all to feel like you over reacted and were safe than to have news of people being trapped and in danger such as black saturday and ash wednesday.

Take what can't be replaced and remember the rest is just material!

#2 Regular Show

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

Current Bushfire Warning In South Australia

CFS advises that a serious bushfire is burning out of control at Cunningham, approximately 10km west of Ardrossan on the Yorke Peninsula near Simmons Road and Maitland to Ardrossan Road, between Kleem Road and Standpipe Road.

The CUNNINGHAM fire is travelling in a Southerly direction towards Lodges Road. There is a risk to lives and homes.

The uncontrolled fire is burning in Stubble.

Check and follow your bushfire survival plan. Take shelter when the fire arrives and protect yourself from the fires heat.

Only leave if the path is clear to a safe place.

You should not enter this area as the roads may not be safe.

Homes that are situated and constructed or modified to withstand a bushfire, that are prepared to the highest level and actively defended, may provide safety.

Stay tuned to this radio station on a battery-powered radio for updates.

For information about bushfires, check the CFS website www.cfs.sa.gov.au or call the Bushfire Information Hotline on 1300 362 361.

Repeating, CFS advises that a serious bushfire is burning out of control at Cunningham, approximately 10km west of Ardrossan on the Yorke Peninsula near Simmons Road and Maitland to Ardrossan Road, between Kleem Road and Standpipe Road

Current Incidents List - CFS

Edited by Regular Show, 04 January 2013 - 10:34 AM.

#3 Cancerian Moon

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

I'm in Vic and I can't access the CFA website to find out what's going on (hopefully nothing). Is anyone out there able to access it?

#4 Mootmoot

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

Apparently they're having issues with the Vic websites, have been down since around 10 and no immediate fix in sight (so said ABC local radio just now).  They suggest trying twitter or other sources of information.

#5 greatwon2

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

its loading slowly for me , if i get on ill post whats on there

Twitter page

https://twitter.com/CFA_Updates

Current warnings

Mill Park, Advice04/01/13 12:52:00 pm

Dandenong, Dandenong South, Hallam, Hampton Park, Keysborough, Advice04/01/13 12:46:00 pm

Koallah, Weerite, Pomborneit, Advice04/01/13 12:26:00 pm

Lysterfield, Advice04/01/13 11:49:00 am

Outtrim, Advice04/01/13 11:33:00 am

South Purrumbete, Advice04/01/13 10:28:00 am

Dartmoor, Casterton, Advice04/01/13 11:32:00 am

Narrung, Boundary Bend, Advice04/01/13 08:56:00 am

Hillside, Taylors Hill, Advice

Cabbage Tree Creek, Advice

Sorry , can't seem to get the individual warnings detail pages to load

Edited by greatwon2, 04 January 2013 - 12:22 PM.

#6 Cancerian Moon

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

A friend suggested following @CFA_Updates on Twitter, the info seems to be just as good. And yes, there are fires already :-(.

Thanks Greatwon2, don't worry about it, sounds like a waste of time.

Edited by CancerianMoon, 04 January 2013 - 12:25 PM.

#7 countrychic29

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

I live in the hills but at work today ... been checking on DH and the pets all morning.
Now however at work we have heaps of smoke coming through the aircon due to a large grass fire at end of street. sad.gif

My brother works with me and we both said this morning, today just reminds us too much of Black Saturday, not a good memory.

I know the CFA does a brilliant job, however it is disappointing that on the first real fire danger day the site crashes.

#8 emnut

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

CFA also has the app & a facebook page that is being updated with information

#9 JuniPooks_

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

I'm actually feeling quite scared today. Something about the weather is reminding me of Black Saturday sad.gif

Please, anyone in affected areas, just leave and leave early.

#10 Regular Show

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

I have family all throughout the hills and country region and fires are popping up all over the place its very scary.

Current Incident List SA

Edited by Regular Show, 04 January 2013 - 01:59 PM.

#11 erindiv

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

My two kids are going to their dad tonight and he lives in the middle of the bush. I'm terrified.

#12 TupperChick

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

in vic there is this site you can use as well
http://emergencyvic.info/#

#13 countrychic29

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

Yep we used the app and have left work.
The grass fire in dandenong was 500m from our factory with lots of vacant land, gas plants and a cardboard factory between us and the fire it wasnt worth hanging around with all the road closures etc. sad.gif

#14 liveworkplay

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

http://www.fire.tas.gov.au/Show?pageId=colCurrentBushfires
for current status on Tas fires.

#15 greatwon2

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

I'm in Tassie nothing much going on near us but half the states on fire and its so hot and windy sad.gif I really feel for the Firefighters , must be hell on earth fighting fires in these conditions.

Just heard houses have been lost in Dunalley and the fires on its way to more towns down south and we have multiple emergency warnings ...scary, scary stuff.

Stay safe everyone in fire areas

#16 Regular Show

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

891 ABC Adelaide
FINNISS Bushfire Emergency update:

CFS advises that the situation at the serious bushfire burning out of control at FINNISS near Winery Road, Gilbert Siding Road and Sorrells Road may change and threaten your safety.

CFS expects that a change in the wind direction / or fuel type at approximately 4pm may cause the fire to change direction or accelerate and move towards Township of Finniss, Properties Andrina Park , Merdia,Gutteridge, Reedlands and Tucker Ford.
near Winery Road, Sorrells Road, Finnis to Clayton Road, Finnis to Milang Road and Strathalbyn to Goolwa Road.

CFS are reporting trees have fallen across Winery Road.

People in this area may be threatened by this fire from now.

Check and follow your bushfire survival plan.

Take shelter when the fire arrives and protect yourself from the fires heat.

Only leave if the path is to a safe place.

You should not enter this area as the roads may not be safe.

Homes that are situated and constructed or modified to withstand a bushfire, that are prepared to the highest level and actively defended, may provide safety.

When the fire front approaches shelter in a solid structure immediately.

Close all doors and windows and stay inside.

Stay tuned to 891 ABC Adelaide on a battery-powered radio for updates

#17 Gallifrey

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

countrychic29 - I work in the same area but am on holidays till Monday. Our shop is on Hammond road near the bus factory and Visy, you sound like you aren't far away. Was much burnt out around there yesterday? Rang my boss to tell him about the fire and how close to work it was and his response was "Oh ok well let me know if anything happens". At least it is a little cooler today.

#18 **Xena**

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

Please stay safe!

Devastated about the Tassie fires. Came home today and it's just horrible. I really hope we get them under control soon. My sympathies and respect to our fierys!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.