moving to own room
at three months.

21 replies to this topic

#1 José

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:36 AM

I know the sids recommendations are to have baby in ur room until 6 months,  however DH and I are thinking about moving DS into his own room at 3 months  will we really be putting him at risk of sids?

#2 Nofliesonme

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:25 AM

Mine have slept unown room since birth and so far they are fine. DS2 Is in our room but won't be there til he is 6 months

#3 mumma_ox

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:34 AM

I think there are lots of things that will put your children at risk in one way or another.  You might decide not to give your child peanuts in the early days to avoid the "risk" of a peanut allergy, but it doesn't necessarily change the outcome.  You need to be comfortable with the decision because it feels right to you.

Our little one is still in with us after 14 months and I am only just ready now to move her out into her own room.  I didn't keep her in with us for fear of SIDS, I kept her with us because it felt right.

#4 whale-woman

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:52 AM

Seriously, do what works best for your family. There are a million different things recommended as a parent none of which in the end are likely to make much difference. You have better knowledge of your baby and it's needs. Guidelines are based on a theoretical average baby/family not yours and don't take into consideration the problems that might arise if you are a slave to recommendations.

I will be having this bub sleep in a different room, at times, from birth. I did the same for DD. I also let DD sleep with a soft toy in her cot from about 3months as she needed something to cuddle to sleep. It was either that or we all would have fallen apart from sleep deprivation. I figured that her life was more at risk from our sleep deprivation than it was from having a toy she'd cuddle.

#5 ~Supernova~

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:09 AM

DD was in her own room after around a month or so I think. She was a very loud sleeper and drove me nuts.

DS was in his own room at about 1 week old. Fast forward to 10mths and he sleeps in our room, in a sidecar setup (but ends up snuggled between us in the wee hours), which we started a few months ago when his sleeping got horrible.

Do whatever works for you and your family.

ETA: DS also uses a pillow, and has been a tummy sleeper since a few weeks old. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do! Not that I advocate either of these, but DS is a stubborn little thing who knows what he wants, and won't sleep unless it's the way he wants it!

Edited by Mareek, 04 January 2013 - 06:11 AM.

#6 axiomae

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

I think the idea is that in your room you can hear differences in breathing and activity and respond appropriately. I am such a deep sleeper that my dog (who sleeps next to our bed) can bark hysterically and I won't wake up, so having DD in our room for that purpose was fairly futile. She was in her own room after a few weeks and we had a good quality monitor to let me know when she needed a feed.

#7 Domestic Goddess

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

I had this great plan of keeping DS in my room in a bassinette until he was 3 months old at least. After 3 weeks of waking up every few minutes from his grunting, I was desperate. I put him in his cot in his own room (next to mine with the cot against my wall) and invested in a good baby monitor.

He just turned 3 and is still going strong lol.

#8 meemee75

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

Room sharing has been found to be one of a  few   factors  that can reduce the risk of SIDS.

. I put him in his cot in his own room (next to mine with the cot against my wall) and invested in a good baby monitor.

A good monitor  and the baby in another room is not protective against SIDS at all.

Babies sleeping close to their parents or mother are safer and a more regular breathing pattern and more arousal from sleep and more contact with their mother.  A good monitor does not perform this function for the baby huh.gif

There are a million different things recommended as a parent none of which in the end are likely to make much difference.

Slight exaggeration there huh.gif .
There are not 1 million recommendation there are SIX !
Six recommendations to help decrease the risk of SIDS.
Also the recommendations have made a big difference to death rates from SIDS
http://www.sidsandkids.org/wp-content/uplo...981-to-date.pdf

The 6 recommendations

http://www.sidsandkids.org/safe-sleeping/

SIDS and KIDS recommendation link for room sharing info
http://sidsandkidswa.org/assets/info-state...oom_sharing.pdf

I think people are very quick to underestimate or brush off this particular recommendation.

So in answer to you OP....your baby is at less risk of SIDS if you leave him in the room with you for the next 3-9 months of his life

Edited by meemee75, 13 January 2013 - 09:26 PM.

#9 meemee75

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

Sorry weird double post

Edited by meemee75, 13 January 2013 - 09:22 PM.

#10 Corella

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:12 AM

Well yes you are. Is the risk large? Does changing the sleep arrangements chane that risk profile hugely? It depends on where you start with the other risks. Anecdata from people who moved baby out doesn't change the risk either it just illustrates how statistics work.
I'd keep them close at hand personally as a monitor doesn't take the place of being near to a baby. Your kid your choice though but as a breast feeder it is easier to have them close by.

#11 Bluenomi

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

We moved DD around 12 weeks. None of us were sleeping well, noisey DH woke DD, she woke me and since she was sleeping through that was really annoying!

Everything else we did was right by the SIDS guidelines so we were happy to move her. She slept better, we slept better so it was the right thing to do. It was also so much easier to feed her in the nursey as I had a chair to feed in.

#12 Giltine

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

We moved DD into her own room a few days ago. She's 4.5 months old. After 4.5 months of me not getting any sleep because she's such a noisy sleeper, and DF not sleeping because I wake him up when I move (he sleeps through her noises), we have been slowly going insane. Co-slept for a while, but she's so strong now she beats me up and I can't handle it.

Also, she outgrew her bassinet two months ago and has been sleeping on a mattress on the floor, but she's started rolling off it. The cot won't fit in our room, so into her own room she goes. We really had no other option.

#13 Peppery

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

DD slept in her own room from 2 weeks old. I had intended for her to sleep in our room for much longer however i wasn't able to sleep. Every little sound she made i jumped out of bed to check on her. Even though she was a great sleeper, i got hardly any sleep during those 2 weeks. I could barely keep my eyes open during the day so we decided to move her to her own room. I still got up during the night to check on her but i settled down after a couple of weeks.

#14 M1B2G

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

Our children have slept in their room from a young age.  I followed the other 5 recommendations...

DD2 who is 7 months is in the room right next to us.  We had visitors for Xmas so we bought her into our room for a month.  She did not sleep anywhere near as well as she normally does...

Good luck with what you decide.

#15 Kay1

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

I have been sleeping in DS3's room after his first night feed (so about 11ish onwards. He is 5 months now and his sleep has been deteriorating (waking every 2 hours and sometimes awake for 3 hours in the middle of the night). I recently remembered that DS2's sleep improved enormously when we moved house and he got his own room so the last couple of nights I have gone back to our bed after feeding him. He has slept much better. Not sure yet if its coincidence. Its odd because he has a noise machine on quite loud in his room so I don't think he can hear me but obviously he is aware I am there.

#16 roses99

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

If at all possible, you should definitely keep him in your room until 6 months. The recommendations are what they are and the advice of experts should trump the anecdata of other parents.

That said, I would and did move my child at a much younger age than that. Our first was in our room for the first six months and it worked brilliantly. When preparing for our second, we rearranged our room so that we could fit the bassinet next to my side of the bed, fully intending that that's where the baby would sleep.

But our new baby was a very independent little soul. She just didn't settle in our room, with us there, at all. We wheeled the bassinet into the next room and she slept brilliantly from then on. She needed a very dark, very quiet room and that's how she slept best; our room didn't work for her.

So we took a calculated risk. A baby monitor - even an Angelcare one with a sensor pad - will not prevent SIDS. But we made sure we followed all of the other recommendations to the letter. We accepted the very small risk, balanced against the need for all of us (bub included) to get good sleep.

#17 José

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

Thanks to all who replied. I have put DS in his own room and we have all had the best three nights sleep since DS was born. DS has been waking only for a feed twice during the night and is sleeping later. When in our room I was getting up to him at least 6 times per night.

#18 Loz07

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

Good to hear you have had some good sleep feliz! I have read a few of your posts and know it has been a battle. Fingers crossed he continues to improve!  original.gif

#19 Alpha_Chook

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

DS has slept in his own room in his cot since birth. We even had toys in the cot from an early age

#20 José

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (Loz07 @ 14/01/2013, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good to hear you have had some good sleep feliz! I have read a few of your posts and know it has been a battle. Fingers crossed he continues to improve!  original.gif

Thanks loz. I don't think I realised how stressed I was until  I started to relax a little the past couple of days. A bit of sleep has made us all happier and DS is having such great play time and DH is excited to come home to us. I hope the improvement continues.

#21 mrsjane

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

read with interest here about putting DS in a separate room. I think it's wonderful that he is adjusting and that you can get some rest. really lovely to hear, afterall, we want what is best for our children

#22 erindiv

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

Good to hear he is adjusting well original.gif

DD was in our room until about 3 months, then I cracked it because I wasn't getting ANY sleep, she was such a noisy sleeper. Moved her out, she slept a hundred times better and so did I.

DS was in his own room from the day I brought him home. He wasn't as good a sleeper as DD but I definitely got a LOT more sleep.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.