What would you do?
Neighbour alarm going off at midnight

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 i-candi

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

Neighbour away and we are looking after dog, putting out bins watching over place. We are semi rural on big blocks.

Midnight their back to base alarm went off. We have no street lighting, we are on big blocks out of town and it is very very dark. Their block backs creek that leads to town. My DH away so home alone with two kids!

I took our German Shepherd over to look in front windows, only problem is our dog doesn't like their tiny Jack Russell or so we think as every time our dog sees their dog her hairs go up. I was looking in front door window (other blinds closed) and all looked ok then my torch went out.

I don't want to walk out their back with our dog but what else could you do? If anyone was to rob the place it would be from the back as they would have access to the creek, our neighbours front faces our side of the house.

Would you go out back?

I text my neighbour telling them their alarm went off saying I went over with our dog and said all looked ok. I also said I don't want to go out back seeing as it is midnight but will go first thing in morning to see all ok. Their dog barked then my dog barked and hairs went up, my dogs bark was an angry bark but I think it was because of the Jack Russell.

Back to base turned off the alarm.

eeekkkk Alarms are rare here,  I don't bother setting ours!

#2 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

I wouldn't be going investigating on my own with no lighting. I'd go back in the morning and check everything was okay but I wouldn't go at night unless safe to do so.

#3 InsertAwesomeHere

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

I second sunnycat. I wouldn't have go e over at all as I'm a big wimp. Is it possible to call the police to tell them the alarm went off?

#4 OutForLunch

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

I'd have hidden under my blankets and cried! You're so brave!

#5 i-candi

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

Neighbour text back asking if it was hot or windy (this can set off alarm) NO on both counts !!!!!

Plus someone in town (on other side of creek) was setting off fire works tonight!!!

I'm sure it's all OK. I again said I'll check it out tomorrow, if it was me I wouldn't expect  someone to check our house out??? When we went OS we didn't bother to set alarm, I figured if it went off it would just peeve the neighbours off.

Our dog is at my feet right now, I don't think I'll shut my bedroom door tonight lol

#6 ~faerydust~

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

I'd be calling police and not leaving my house.

#7 i-candi

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

QUOTE (InsertAwesomeHere @ 04/01/2013, 12:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I second sunnycat. I wouldn't have go e over at all as I'm a big wimp. Is it possible to call the police to tell them the alarm went off?

A police officer lives on the 'estate' across the road from us, he is dog squad though (and what a well behaved dog they have !!!!!!)

QUOTE (Codswallop @ 04/01/2013, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd have hidden under my blankets and cried! You're so brave!

lol but I have a big huge German Shepherd !!!!! I tripped over her in the dark and had to pull on her chain to keep going, she is a timid thing lol. Not sure if she is ready for police work!

#8 mygirlcharlotte

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

is there someone like security guy or the police to phone and ask them what to do

#9 monkeys mum

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:57 PM

Id be expecting the security company to follow it up. Or calling the local police with my concerns, their a bit better equipped ti check it out with torches and two people.

#10 Duck.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

i would call the cops.
i always do for my neighbours when their alarm goes off and dp isnt home to check it out.

#11 Feralishous

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:27 AM

QUOTE (~squiggle~ @ 03/01/2013, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd be calling police and not leaving my house.

same!

#12 Feral-Lausii

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:27 AM

Is it a back to base alarm? If  so should have been taken care of by the alarm company? You are brave, I would not have done that!

Edited by Lausii, 04 January 2013 - 06:30 AM.

#13 scarfie

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:37 AM

If it is back to base I would be expecting them to come out when it goes off.  What are your neighbours actually paying for if the service provider doesn't check it out?

You are brave though OP, no way I'd be out in the dark after midnight exploring.

#14 Frockme

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:38 AM

When you have back to base alarm you set up a system of calls. So alarm goes off, base is notified, they check call list and notify the 1st person on list, if they can't get through they go to the next person on the list. The people on the list advise the base company on what to do. ETA- the base company won't come out, they'll employ a security company to go take a look at your extra cost. They can call the police but I've also heard that some wont go out unless someone with keys is there to meet you. Not always convenient!

No way should you wonder over and check it out! (A little late now) by all means look over there but don't go over.
Some alarms work on vibration waves eg if a window is shoved open it'll pick up on it and go off. So fireworks could have set it off.
I think I'd have called the local police station and let them know.

Hope it was a false alarm.

Edited by Malaya, 04 January 2013 - 06:40 AM.

#15 ~sydblue~

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:44 AM

You definitely are a brave woman.
BTB monitoring stations will not send a guard company unless the owner of the house or building has given or gives permission. As it incurs a fee, which can be huge on public holidays or weekends.

#16 i-candi

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:11 AM

I went over earlier this morning and all is good, all blinds are down but I looked in Kitchen window and couldn't see anything amiss.

I don't think the police would want to know about an alarm going off unless you could see a car that shouldn't be there or people or broken window.

Sometimes I think alarms really work and are a headache for neighbours unless they are back to base. One other neighbour's alarm went off for over four hours one night and they knew it was going off as another neighbour told them but they were to selfish to come home and turn it off, then it went off same time the next day!!! We rarely set ours because we leave our dog inside when we go out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

WIN two Sea-Bands plus $1000

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band Prize Pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos Gift Card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.