Hot or cold?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 erindiv

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

Which do you prefer?

I don't mind being too cold as I can rug up, have a hot cuppa, get under some blankets and turn the heater on. But I HATE, and always have hated, summer. I hate being sweaty. I hate not being able to sleep. I hate losing my appetite because it's too hot to cook anything and I haven't slept properly in a week and I just can't be bothered uuuurgh. I hate the sunburn, the flies, the mozzies, the ants, the snakes. The constant fear of bushfires.

I hate driving with the sun in my eyes (taking kids to and from their dad is in the dark in winter, sunset in summer). I hate wanting to drink fizzy drinks and then ending up dehydrated because I haven't had enough water. I hate salads and BBQs. I hate cold showers, which are the only kind bearable in 40 degree heat.

I don't like the beach. I don't like swimming. I hate having to wear lighter clothes that reveal my horrid belly and complete lack of boobs. I hate that my anxiety occurs ten times more often and ten times as severe in the heat than it does in the cold.

Winter, to me, is wonderful. Maybe it's because I was born in winter so it was the first thing I knew. I love snuggling up under three blankets. I love hearing rain on the roof. I even like driving in the rain. I love that delicious moment when I come into the house, freezing cold, and hop into a hot shower. I love bundling the kids up in fuzzy warm clothes and strolling around the shops. A warm Milo with Tim Tams. Roast dinners. Long, dark car rides with the kids snoozing in their seats while I listen to ABC News Radio...

Which do you prefer?

#2 BadCat

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

Hot is wilting and sucky.  Cold is bracing and lovely.

#3 i-candi

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

I prefer hot only because of the daylight hours. I hate short days and where you can go weeks without seeing the sun !!!!!

#4 Jane Jetson

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

I actually quite like winter, even in Canberra. Frost looks awesome and if I'm cold I can stick a jumper on.

Heat gives me a monster headache and there are only so many clothes that can be removed without horrifying anyone who walks past the house. Further, I hate bugs, beaches, sand, boats and that awful yellow thing in the sky that gives me sunburn. Winter, on the other hand, is lovely and cosy inside and pleasantly bracing outside, and doesn't come with the threat of large-scale burnination.

#5 coffy11

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

I prefer winter when it's summer and summer when it's winter tongue.gif

Luckily in Melbourne we get all winter one day, summer the next ect...

#6 Suz01

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

I use an aircon and make the most of both extremes. Love hearing rain no matter which season we're in.

#7 Isolabella

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

I like cold so long as I am appropriately dressed and can get warm.

4 degrees and drizzle at Auskick on a Saturday morning is more freezing then sunny and minus 16 on top of a mountain in Switzerland.

DH did complain below minus 30 was tough on the breathing.

I can't stand wet cold. I like dry cold. I also prefer dry heat.

40 and dry in Melb us better then 26 and humid in Sydney.

(Sydney sider who has lived in Melbourne for 13yrs and has family in Switzerland). DH recently went to Mongolia for work.

#8 HRH Countrymel

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

I like cold.

Love a cold clear sunny day.

I DON'T like the shortness of Winter days though.

#9 blackcat20

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

I like being warm, but I hate being hot. 25-28ish is the hottest, any over that is just uncomfortable. I don't mind the cold as long as I'm rugged up and not suffering.

#10 Zahhy

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (coffy11 @ 03/01/2013, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I prefer winter when it's summer and summer when it's winter tongue.gif

Story of my life lol.

I prefer the length of the days during summer, and this summer has not been too bad, while it's been unbearably hot  in the mornings, we are living so close to the beach that we get those glorious sea breezes come afternoon.

#11 baddmammajamma

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

Even after 2.5 years in Singapore (we are now in Sydney), I still prefer heat to cold. I should add that we have air con.

I love being able to go swimming or to the beach and being able to walk around in a sundress with Havaianas. I love the long days. I love the warm summer nights.

I don't mind crisp and cool days (bright blue skies), but I find the grey, drizzling Sydney winters to be depressing. I would much prefer the kind of bright sky winters that you see in the Rocky Mountains.

Edited by baddmammajamma, 03 January 2013 - 08:40 PM.

#12 Bob-the-skull

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

cold...

DP is a person who always feels hot so summer is painful to him...

i can always put more layers on but there is only so many layers i can take off!

the sun burns... lots!

#13 The Old Feral

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

I'm the opposite to you OP.

Today the mercury hit 38 and I spent the afternoon outside,  snoozing in a hammock original.gif

Cold - real, subzero cold - saps all my energy and makes me miserable.

#14 Drowningnotwaving

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

Cold. I love it. You can rug up and cuddle into a good book or movie with a blanket.

Heat. I hate it. You sweat your a*se off while trying to sleep.

#15 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

I love the heat. It makes me feel so good. Overly cold weather leaves me miserable and unwilling to move far from a couch.

#16 **Tiger*Feral**

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (Jane Jetson @ 03/01/2013, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I actually quite like winter, even in Canberra. Frost looks awesome and if I'm cold I can stick a jumper on.

Heat gives me a monster headache and there are only so many clothes that can be removed without horrifying anyone who walks past the house. Further, I hate bugs, beaches, sand, boats and that awful yellow thing in the sky that gives me sunburn. Winter, on the other hand, is lovely and cosy inside and pleasantly bracing outside, and doesn't come with the threat of large-scale burnination.

I knew I liked you, Jane.

#17 Feral_Pooks

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

I prefer winter of the two, but love Autumn best.

Much easier to rug up. If hot, once your naked, you can't get more naked.

#18 coffy11

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE (baddmammajamma @ 03/01/2013, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even after 2.5 years in Singapore (we are now in Sydney), I still prefer heat to cold. I should add that we have air con.prefer the kind of bright sky winters that you see in the Rocky Mountains.

My sister lives in Singapore, we visited a few years ago and I couldn't believe how hot and humid it was!!  Aircon on all night.  I loved the thunderstorms in the evenings though

#19 Isolabella

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

We are in Sydney... DH keeps on asking what has happened to my hair.

#20 cesca

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

I'm in NZ, so it's never TOO hot and it's never TOO cold.

I prefer the heat, as long as it doesn't go hotter than about 30 degrees and there's no humidity.  I like sunshine.

But I also quite love a nice crisp winter's day, when it's 2 degrees out at 10am and the air is clear blue and the grass crunches when you walk on it.

I can't STAND endless overcast skies and rain.  Rain that goes on for days and weeks. That saps my strength and makes me very depressed.

#21 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (lsolaBella @ 03/01/2013, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We are in Sydney... DH keeps on asking what has happened to my hair.

Ha! I am the same, although this summer hasn't been too bad for me....yet. I like the cold but winter does seem to drag on...I am liking summer more and more since we got air con.....

#22 unicorn

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

Temps between 6 and 18 suit me nicely, will tolerate colder climes but I hate the heat. DH is the opposite hence choosing holiday destinations is a PITA

#23 SW-

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

Heat! 40+ days are my favorite days of the year.

Nothing beats a swim before breakfast, pack a lunch and head to the beach for the day, come home around 3.30-4.00 ish, relax swim before dinner, swim before bed.....the best days of the year.

In winter I feel bone cold all winter.

#24 Feral Madam Mim

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

Cold, much easier to get warm than it is to get cool. I do love swimming though (thank god for pool heating lol).

#25 Wise Old Owl

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

OP I could have written your post word for word and you have described everything I hate about summer.

Needless to say I hate the heat and love the cold and DH is the same.  So much so that we are daydreaming of moving to Tasmania  wink.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Tell us what you think

to WIN 1 of 2 $500 Coles/Myer gift cards

What not to say to a new mum

Some phrases just pop out before you really think about them, but there are some things you should try to not say to a new mum.

Why I'm glad to be an indulgent granny

The phone calls started a couple of weeks ago. At about 5.30 each evening - if I am lucky - I will be greeted by a sweet, excited voice declaring: "'Allo Annie".

Is this the worst relationship advice ever published?

You sometimes have to wonder whether relationship/sex advice from magazines is designed to help or humiliate.

How you talk to your baby now can impact social skills later

People used to think that social skills were something kids were born with, not taught.

Three truths about C-section mums

Lately I've been thinking about the caesarean stories and the brave women who birth their children with strength and beauty.

Scientists predict when you should start a family

Scientists have calculated at exactly what age you need to start trying to get pregnant to have the best chance of realising your dream. 

Differently abled child

When 'protecting' a child is really a cover for judgement

Why are people so concerned for this happy child and his mother?

When toddlers have strange obsessions

When it comes to two-year-olds and birthday cakes there are a few requests that are usually at the top of the list. But a cake featuring a local personal injury lawyer?

When Mama Bear strikes

When we become mums, our instinct to protect our children and keep them safe from harm is so strong we're often likened to a Mama Bear protecting her cubs.  

Immunity boosters for kids

There are no guaranteed ways to avoid the dreaded winter illnesses completely, but there are ways we can boost our children's immunity.

Mum shares portrait of her proudly breastfeeding three-year-old

Jade Beall usually chooses to breastfeed her son, now 3, in private. This week, however, she shared portraits of her breastfeeding her preschooler.

Dealing with a toddler's morning tantrums

Your schedule is not important to your two-year-old, and you cannot convince her otherwise. So what can you do?

Child in suitcase 'could have died eight years ago'

A child whose remains were dumped in a suitcase in the South Australian bush is believed to have been a girl aged between two-and-a-half to four.

MP breastfeeds baby during parliamentary session

An Argentinian mum and politician has caused a stir on social media after being filmed breastfeeding her baby.

My baby's first seizure

It was 1am on a cold winter's night when I woke suddenly to the screams of my 12-month-old son. Our lives were about to change forever.

Portable pools 'more dangerous than permanent ones'

Inflatable and portable children's pools may be required to be sold with compulsory fencing to prevent backyard drownings, with some experts even floating the idea of a ban.

Heartbreaking moment mum kisses her one-week-old goodbye

At 11.07am on April 2 this year, Sarah Marriott welcomed baby Sebastian into the world.

The amazing Tee Pee bed and kid-friendly Frankie Bunk bed

These kids' beds definitely fit the brief of providing personality and personal space for little people who are moving up in the world.

The funny things kids say when you're pregnant

Since becoming noticeably pregnant, my son has taken more of an interest in the sibling he'll soon have.

The real problem with having one child

In this age of political correctness, it seems the one subject still subject to discrimination is that of the Only Child.

Six-week-old baby found dead, believed stabbed

A neighbour heard a child screaming before a baby was found dead, believed to have been stabbed, in a house in Newcastle.

The fire hazard in more than 70,000 Australian homes

So far, 206 Samsung washing machines have caught fire and some have exploded. But many remain in people's homes.

How having a baby can bring on OCD

We all know that having a baby can turn your life upside down - and it can also bring a raft of new anxieties and worries.

IVF gender selection being considered for Australian parents

Couples using IVF may be able to choose the gender of their babies and women could be financially compensated for donating their eggs.

The best age to get married (according to the latest study)

Not too young, and not too old. That's reportedly the best age to get married. Not everyone agrees.

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Tell us what you think

to WIN 1 of 2 $500 Coles/Myer gift cards

Why I'm choosing to be a single mother right from the start

I believe that you get out of families what you put into them, and I will give mine my all.

Mother and baby units are a necessity for mental health, not a luxury

I have had two postnatal psychotic episodes. The first when my eldest child was six weeks old, and another after my second child was born.

30 French baby names

French names are always in fashion, but a few have risen in popularity in recent years.

New mum's Spanish maternity nightmare

A British woman who gave birth in Spain has told of her ordeal after spending weeks trying to convince medics the baby girl was hers.

Preparing Rover to be a good dog with baby

Some friends of ours say that it's dangerous to have a dog around a newborn and that we should start looking for a new home for him. Is it?

Company offers to ship working mums' breast milk home

First Apple and Facebook announced they would pay $20,000 towards the cost of their female employees freezing their eggs, now IBM in the US has come up with an innovative new policy aimed at retaining female employees.

Prince William speaks of his pride at wife Kate and 'little joy of heaven' Charlotte

The Duke of Cambridge opened up about family life and his plans for the future in an interview to mark his first day as an air ambulance pilot.

'Glowing' eye saves baby Mason's life

A simple photo taken in front of an evening fire gave new mother Sarah Bowers the power to save her baby's life. 

Parenting and decision overload

Of all the advice people told me before having a baby, no one warned me about the amount of decisions involved.

Proof that toddlers can't be left unsupervised - ever

Parents of toddlers all know the moment when realise your child is being suspiciously quiet. It can only mean one thing - trouble!

Meet Jeremy Ryan, The Voice contestant with seven kids

If you have trouble recalling the ages of Jeremy Ryan's seven children on The Voice, you're not alone. So does he.

Baby's adorable reaction to wearing glasses for the first time

Getting glasses can be a formative moment in a person's life.

Police officer buys supplies for family after mum of six caught shoplifting

When a mum of six was caught shoplifting nappies, clothes and shoes for her kids, the last thing she expected was for a stranger to pay for her haul.

Why pregnant women on antidepressants shouldn’t panic about birth defect claims

The risk of having uncontrolled depression is far greater than the small increased risk of birth defects that may be associated with specific antidepressants.

Arrests made over children's birthday party brawl

Police have raided properties and arrested a number of people over a brawl at a child's birthday party at a play centre in Sydney's west.

Family shares awesome drone baby announcement

Looking for a creative way to share some big news? Look to the skies, like this family did.

Young warrior Owen defies doctors' predictions

Little Owen DiCandilo's name means "young warrior", and it's a description that perfectly fits the inspiring 18-month-old

Advice for dads: when to approach your wife for sex

The exhaustion that comes with caring for young children often means romance between parents becomes a thing of the past.

I might be fat, but I don't need saving

I've been fat for pretty much most of life, besides a few crazy moments of being less-fat, but for the most part I've existed on this earth with a little more meat on my bones than desirable.

The rookie mistakes we make as parents

Since the dawn of civilisation, generation after generation of new parents have had to rely on instinct, trial and error - and sometimes get it wrong.

FREE TICKET

See Pinky McKay live in Sydney

Get your free ticket to The Essential Baby & Toddler Show and save $20 - register online now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.