Hot or cold?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 erindiv

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

Which do you prefer?

I don't mind being too cold as I can rug up, have a hot cuppa, get under some blankets and turn the heater on. But I HATE, and always have hated, summer. I hate being sweaty. I hate not being able to sleep. I hate losing my appetite because it's too hot to cook anything and I haven't slept properly in a week and I just can't be bothered uuuurgh. I hate the sunburn, the flies, the mozzies, the ants, the snakes. The constant fear of bushfires.

I hate driving with the sun in my eyes (taking kids to and from their dad is in the dark in winter, sunset in summer). I hate wanting to drink fizzy drinks and then ending up dehydrated because I haven't had enough water. I hate salads and BBQs. I hate cold showers, which are the only kind bearable in 40 degree heat.

I don't like the beach. I don't like swimming. I hate having to wear lighter clothes that reveal my horrid belly and complete lack of boobs. I hate that my anxiety occurs ten times more often and ten times as severe in the heat than it does in the cold.

Winter, to me, is wonderful. Maybe it's because I was born in winter so it was the first thing I knew. I love snuggling up under three blankets. I love hearing rain on the roof. I even like driving in the rain. I love that delicious moment when I come into the house, freezing cold, and hop into a hot shower. I love bundling the kids up in fuzzy warm clothes and strolling around the shops. A warm Milo with Tim Tams. Roast dinners. Long, dark car rides with the kids snoozing in their seats while I listen to ABC News Radio...

Which do you prefer?

#2 BadCat

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

Hot is wilting and sucky.  Cold is bracing and lovely.

#3 i-candi

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

I prefer hot only because of the daylight hours. I hate short days and where you can go weeks without seeing the sun !!!!!

#4 Jane Jetson

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

I actually quite like winter, even in Canberra. Frost looks awesome and if I'm cold I can stick a jumper on.

Heat gives me a monster headache and there are only so many clothes that can be removed without horrifying anyone who walks past the house. Further, I hate bugs, beaches, sand, boats and that awful yellow thing in the sky that gives me sunburn. Winter, on the other hand, is lovely and cosy inside and pleasantly bracing outside, and doesn't come with the threat of large-scale burnination.

#5 coffy11

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

I prefer winter when it's summer and summer when it's winter tongue.gif

Luckily in Melbourne we get all winter one day, summer the next ect...

#6 Suz01

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

I use an aircon and make the most of both extremes. Love hearing rain no matter which season we're in.

#7 IsolaBella

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

I like cold so long as I am appropriately dressed and can get warm.

4 degrees and drizzle at Auskick on a Saturday morning is more freezing then sunny and minus 16 on top of a mountain in Switzerland.

DH did complain below minus 30 was tough on the breathing.

I can't stand wet cold. I like dry cold. I also prefer dry heat.

40 and dry in Melb us better then 26 and humid in Sydney.

(Sydney sider who has lived in Melbourne for 13yrs and has family in Switzerland). DH recently went to Mongolia for work.

#8 countrymel

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

I like cold.

Love a cold clear sunny day.

I DON'T like the shortness of Winter days though.

#9 blackcat20

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

I like being warm, but I hate being hot. 25-28ish is the hottest, any over that is just uncomfortable. I don't mind the cold as long as I'm rugged up and not suffering.

#10 Tonberry

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (coffy11 @ 03/01/2013, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I prefer winter when it's summer and summer when it's winter tongue.gif

Story of my life lol.

I prefer the length of the days during summer, and this summer has not been too bad, while it's been unbearably hot  in the mornings, we are living so close to the beach that we get those glorious sea breezes come afternoon.

#11 baddmammajamma

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

Even after 2.5 years in Singapore (we are now in Sydney), I still prefer heat to cold. I should add that we have air con.

I love being able to go swimming or to the beach and being able to walk around in a sundress with Havaianas. I love the long days. I love the warm summer nights.

I don't mind crisp and cool days (bright blue skies), but I find the grey, drizzling Sydney winters to be depressing. I would much prefer the kind of bright sky winters that you see in the Rocky Mountains.

Edited by baddmammajamma, 03 January 2013 - 08:40 PM.

#12 -*meh*-

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

cold...

DP is a person who always feels hot so summer is painful to him...

i can always put more layers on but there is only so many layers i can take off!

the sun burns... lots!

#13 The Old Bag

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

I'm the opposite to you OP.

Today the mercury hit 38 and I spent the afternoon outside,  snoozing in a hammock original.gif

Cold - real, subzero cold - saps all my energy and makes me miserable.

#14 Drowningnotwaving

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

Cold. I love it. You can rug up and cuddle into a good book or movie with a blanket.

Heat. I hate it. You sweat your a*se off while trying to sleep.

#15 Swahili

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

I love the heat. It makes me feel so good. Overly cold weather leaves me miserable and unwilling to move far from a couch.

#16 **Tiger*Filly**

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (Jane Jetson @ 03/01/2013, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I actually quite like winter, even in Canberra. Frost looks awesome and if I'm cold I can stick a jumper on.

Heat gives me a monster headache and there are only so many clothes that can be removed without horrifying anyone who walks past the house. Further, I hate bugs, beaches, sand, boats and that awful yellow thing in the sky that gives me sunburn. Winter, on the other hand, is lovely and cosy inside and pleasantly bracing outside, and doesn't come with the threat of large-scale burnination.

I knew I liked you, Jane.

#17 JuniPooks_

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

I prefer winter of the two, but love Autumn best.

Much easier to rug up. If hot, once your naked, you can't get more naked.

#18 coffy11

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE (baddmammajamma @ 03/01/2013, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even after 2.5 years in Singapore (we are now in Sydney), I still prefer heat to cold. I should add that we have air con.prefer the kind of bright sky winters that you see in the Rocky Mountains.

My sister lives in Singapore, we visited a few years ago and I couldn't believe how hot and humid it was!!  Aircon on all night.  I loved the thunderstorms in the evenings though

#19 IsolaBella

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

We are in Sydney... DH keeps on asking what has happened to my hair.

#20 cesca

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

I'm in NZ, so it's never TOO hot and it's never TOO cold.

I prefer the heat, as long as it doesn't go hotter than about 30 degrees and there's no humidity.  I like sunshine.

But I also quite love a nice crisp winter's day, when it's 2 degrees out at 10am and the air is clear blue and the grass crunches when you walk on it.

I can't STAND endless overcast skies and rain.  Rain that goes on for days and weeks. That saps my strength and makes me very depressed.

#21 Lucretia Borgia

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (lsolaBella @ 03/01/2013, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We are in Sydney... DH keeps on asking what has happened to my hair.

Ha! I am the same, although this summer hasn't been too bad for me....yet. I like the cold but winter does seem to drag on...I am liking summer more and more since we got air con.....

#22 unicorn

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

Temps between 6 and 18 suit me nicely, will tolerate colder climes but I hate the heat. DH is the opposite hence choosing holiday destinations is a PITA

#23 SW-

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

Heat! 40+ days are my favorite days of the year.

Nothing beats a swim before breakfast, pack a lunch and head to the beach for the day, come home around 3.30-4.00 ish, relax swim before dinner, swim before bed.....the best days of the year.

In winter I feel bone cold all winter.

#24 mad madam mim

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

Cold, much easier to get warm than it is to get cool. I do love swimming though (thank god for pool heating lol).

#25 Wise Old Owl

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

OP I could have written your post word for word and you have described everything I hate about summer.

Needless to say I hate the heat and love the cold and DH is the same.  So much so that we are daydreaming of moving to Tasmania  wink.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.