Spelling and grammar
Does this annoy you?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Tilli+Macey

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

Surely I'm not alone?

So there is a man who has been messaging me after a mutual friend thought we may get along, both have a daughter, single, like same sort of things etc.
In his messages he writes 'hey how r u' ok, I can put up with this for a little bit. But not every time I get a message. I ended up telling him that I have a hard time enjoying messages from him when they are written like that. He said he'd try and stop. But next message 'so what r u upto this week?'
Also after me saying 'I'm good thanks, how are you?' he replies ' yeah I good, jus workn'

I have a girl on Facebook who writes every status lyk dis. Tuk a foto of my boi, c u tumoro. And she isn't even overly young.

Any other spelling freaks out there that just gets annoyed at it like I do?

Oh, and the r and u is more a personal thing. If you're interested in me ( friendship or relationship) then take the time to put a little effort into your sentences.
Maybe this is why I'm single :-)

Edited by Tilli87, 03 January 2013 - 07:53 PM.

#2 lamarque

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

Oh for sure, that would annoy the heck out of me, unless you're both 15 of course.  original.gif

#3 Jenferal

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

I hate it as well.

My MUM does it sometimes, it's annoying...but in mum's case she's old and has slow fingers lol.

#4 Tilli+Macey

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

25 for me and 30 him. Well and truly mature enough to spell out the words.

#5 sakura73

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

I am totally with you. It drives me insane. My DP has learnt not to take short cuts when texting me!

#6 Propaganda

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

I can't handle it.

A girl in a group I'm a part of on facebook does the same. I mostly just bypass her posts because they're such an effort to read.

I view lazy text-typing as poor manners, especially when you're not close to that person. Putting in a bit of time to use full words shows a little more consideration and respect for the person who has to read it. Like they're worth the effort of a few extra letters.

I'm a spelling snob, and while I'm not perfect, I can tell instantly if I could be in a relationship with a man based on his texts. I don't mind the odd "u" for "you" but shortened words taking up the entire message bother me in a rather irrational way.

#7 bambiigrrl

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

maybe that is the reason your single....

im pretty sure abbreviations are used alot in txt messages because it costs less, it could mean the difference between sending 1 message or 2.

Also I dont know about others out there but I find it can be fiddly to text and wanna get it over and done with asap, and writing u instead of you is a way to do that.

Honestly I think your making a big deal over nothing and should stop being so petty. Even if this did annoy me which it doesnt I wouldnt bother saying anything.

eta: I origninally thought you were referring to mobile txt messaging, but maybe you were referring to facebook? If you were referring to facebook op, then I do get what you mean about it being hard to read, I have a young sister in law who writes everything like what you referred to above, and it is hard to read. But i still read her posts, I don't get annoyed by it and I certainly dont take offense to it, nobody that writes like that is trying to be disrespectful. Thats ridiculous. Maybe he doesnt go on facebook much and is used to texting, so writes on facebook in the same way? He could be the love of your life and your considering blowing him off over somthing this silly?Sounds like something you would see on sienfeld!

Edited by bambiigrrl, 03 January 2013 - 08:17 PM.

#8 Procrastinator5000

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

I've come to live with r and u.

I cannot and will never be okay with 'c*m' (yes, I've got a friend who'll say 'r u going to c*m over later'...) or anything like 'lyk' or 'dis'. 'Tuk a foto of my boi' would be really pushing it.

If it's a friend, I look past it, since they're obviously okay writing like that - their loss if they want to look illiterate. If it's an acquaintance, I'd communicate less and less with them because of the pain to the eyes.

It's weird when it's not even saving them time. Boi...boy...weird.

Even when it does save them time, to paraphrase Lynn Truss, what are they doing with all that time they're saving? Volunteering at the local soup kitchen? Somehow I doubt it.

#9 bluecardigans

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE (Tilli87 @ 03/01/2013, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a girl on Facebook who writes every status lyk dis. Tuk a foto of my boi, c u tumoro. And she isn't even overly young.

This is extremely annoying as they barely use less letters anyway.

#10 lamarque

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

The thing that annoys me the most is that I have to say each letter in my head like a 6 year old!!

#11 SeaPrincess

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE (Propaganda @ 03/01/2013, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm a spelling snob, and while I'm not perfect, I can tell instantly if I could be in a relationship with a man based on his texts. I don't mind the odd "u" for "you" but shortened words taking up the entire message bother me in a rather irrational way.

I've got a friend who only uses shorthand in texts with people who know her well enough to know she can spell.  She definitely wouldn't do it in texts to someone she's just met or just getting to know.

#12 i-candi

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

DD 10 has just got a free text iPod app to text her friend down the road. I told her if she wrote in text speak I'd throw out her phone !!!! lol, she came to me saying sorry she wrote BRB for be right back. I had   mental giggle and told her to try harder next time !

#13 MrsLexiK

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (bambiigrrl @ 03/01/2013, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
maybe that is the reason your single....

im pretty sure abbreviations are used alot in txt messages because it costs less, it could mean the difference between sending 1 message or 2.

Also I dont know about others out there but I find it can be fiddly to text and wanna get it over and done with asap, and writing u instead of you is a way to do that.

Honestly I think your making a big deal over nothing and should stop being so petty. Even if this did annoy me which it doesnt I wouldnt bother saying anything.

I agree, we use it in our instant message system at work. And I use some in txt messages because it is just easier and the auto correct doesn't seem to try and change them on me.

#14 erindiv

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

DBF has always been like this, but he is a wonderful person so I got over it.

#15 cinnabubble

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

There was a poster last week who claimed to be the 39 years old in her sig who wrote every post like that. If I see her again, I'll block her. It must take more effort to write like that than to write properly.

#16 chookpea

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

My cousin does this with her emails, it's impossible to read.  So I don't bother.

#17 Jane Jetson

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

On one hand I think it's kind of exciting that mass literacy at the level we now have seems to be *encouraging* rapid change in the written language, which is usually far more formal than the spoken, instead of slowing it down like usual.

On the other hand it bugs me no end because it looks horrible. It's rude and demonstrates that the writer couldn't be a*sed spending a single extra second communicating with their conversational partner. I might also suspect that their intellectual abilities might not sit at a level I could find attractive.

#18 Chchgirl

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

I cannot stand it! My nephew's fiancee writes like this, and she's nearly 27! I cannot understand a word she says, and even my teenage daughter doesn't write like this. She also has trouble deciphering what is being said...

My well known pet hate is yous..youhs..I dearly love my inlaws but all of them use this word regularly, and now their children are using it..I want to cry.. cry1.gif

#19 BetteBoop

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE (Tilli87 @ 03/01/2013, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Surely I'm not alone?

So there is a man who has been messaging me after a mutual friend thought we may get along, both have a daughter, single, like same sort of things etc.
In his messages he writes 'hey how r u' ok, I can put up with this for a little bit. But not every time I get a message. I ended up telling him that I have a hard time enjoying messages from him when they are written like that. He said he'd try and stop. But next message 'so what r u upto this week?'
Also after me saying 'I'm good thanks, how are you?' he replies ' yeah I good, jus workn'

The bloke might not be much of a typist. I wouldn't discount someone altogether for something that petty. My DH doesn't really get the difference between you're/your or to/too and we're still together 11 years later.

But older people who try to be hep by using words like boi, make me cringe. WTF is it with deliberately misspelling as many words as possible? If it was a constant thing, I would block their newsfeeds or my brain would bleed.

#20 Chchgirl

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE (BetteBoop @ 03/01/2013, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The bloke might not be much of a typist. I wouldn't discount someone altogether for something that petty. My DH doesn't really get the difference between you're/your or to/too and we're still together 11 years later.

But older people who try to be hep by using words like boi, make me cringe. WTF is it with deliberately misspelling as many words as possible? If it was a constant thing, I would block their newsfeeds or my brain would bleed.

I had to do some hiring once, and went through some resumes..you just reminded me of a guy who had an email with his resume attached, the email was something along the lines of sexyboi..made me laugh ( and bin the thing!)

#21 bambiigrrl

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

I personally think that people who do that whole bout 2 taka piccy of ma boi or whatever the hell it was are maybe just trying to seem cool? Thats how it comes across to me anyway...

#22 Zahhy

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

I'll shorten words like "you" and "are" to their respective letters in texts - IF by doing so it'll get me under the character limit for one message. That is the only time it is acceptable IMO.
"how r u" does not even approach the character limit for texts and would just annoy the crap out of me.

eta: and in great 'do as I say, not as I do' form, I abbreviated "in my opinion" Tounge1.gif

Edited by Tonberry, 03 January 2013 - 08:35 PM.

#23 Born Slippy

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

My DP and I bonded over a mutual hatred of text speak...

#24 LynnyP

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

I detest it.  I can sort of understand u and r in SMS but I would hate to be that time poor or on that strict a budget that it made a significant difference to me.  Where a full keyboard is available and the person isn't actually under fire from a terrorist cell I find it arrogant and have to stop myself discounting their intelligence level.  I won't read posts on EB from people who regularly use it because I feel that if they want to save their time in typing by taking up my time in deciphering then I will save lots of my time by skipping over them!

#25 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

It's a pet hate of mine. Rightly or wrongly, I automatically deduct 20 IQ points from someone who writes that way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Pete Evans says a paleo diet can prevent autism. He's wrong

Pete Evans is not a paediatrician or even a nutritionist or dietitian. So why should we believe his extreme views and remove food groups from our children's diets over the advice from those more qualified?

Let's get back to commonsense parenting

Forget the new 'Lawnmower' parenting trend; try using plain old-fashioned commonsense instead.

Woman sues after having a mixed-race baby

A US woman is suing a sperm bank after it sent her vials from African-American man, instead of the white donor she had selected.

Bonding ideas dad will love

Dad may not say it, but he could be feeling lost, confused and seriously left out. However, there are lots of things new fathers can do to be more included in the excitement of pregnancy and new parenthood.

The house that hope built for childhood cancer

Baby Laelani Baker was diagnosed with cancer before she was even born. Her heartbreaking story is just one of the reasons the Build for a Cure project is raising money for vital research into childhood cancer.

Does stay-at-home parenting get better?

Parenting doesn’t ever get easier; the challenges just change. But the challenges of caring for young children definitely lessens as they get older.

Inquest into the short and tragic life of Chloe Valentine

As the first phase of an inquest into the death of Chloe Valentine drew to a close, there was no doubt Chloe's life was marred by appalling neglect.

When mothers kill

The act of killing one's child is unthinkable for most, and a mother who kills her offspring has a special power to inspire shock and revulsion.

6 beauty tips for tired mums

For those of us with young children, eight hours sleep is a distant memory. And while we can’t do much to secure more shut-eye, there are some ways to fake it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Awkward grandparents

When Grandma and Grandpa pose for a snap with the kids, things can get very weird, very quickly.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.