Which names do you really dislike and why?

• Please log in to reply
284 replies to this topic

#1 rains

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

1. Girls names with "belle" or "bella" at the end, especially if used as a nickname- they make me think the parents want to announce to the world how beautiful their child is.

2. Flower names- Rose, Lily, Ivy etc. Too girly for me.

3. Anything made up or deliberately misspelt. I could go on forever with a list here! I cringe when I see these names! And the misspelling thing is also a practical issue- people will be getting the name wrong throughout their life.

Ok, so maybe I have weird taste, but I want to see what other people think. Maybe someone hates my favourite names for reasons I've never thought of!

#2 baddmammajamma

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

These types of threads never end well.

Welcome to EB, by the way!

To answer your question, I don't like urban myth names (Le-a, ABCD, Orangejello & Lemonjello for twins, Female).

#3 Cranky Kitten

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

I have the Scrabbleboard rule. No child of mine will be named anything that can be legitimately played in a game of scrabble.

#4 suline

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

This is going to end in tears.

#5 Guest_Amy Ramekin_*

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

I hate surname-first names: MacKenzie, Jackson etc.

And I hate the name Wendy.

#6 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE (rains @ 03/01/2013, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. Girls names with "belle" or "bella" at the end, especially if used as a nickname- they make me think the parents want to announce to the world how beautiful their child is.

How awful of the parents to think / want the world to know their child is beautiful! unsure.gif

#7 happening

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

I don't like Bruce.

I don't like Grace.

I don't like Tracey.

I just realised I don't like names that have r as the second letter and a c in them.

There is no reason for this.

Of all my brother's friends, my favourite is Bruce, I was always half in love with him.   My friend has a lovely daughter named Grace.  I have a close friend named Tracey.  Like the people.  Intensely dislike the names.

#8 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE (suline @ 03/01/2013, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is going to end in tears.

Ha it will, but I'll play:

Adolf - self explanatory
Cecil
Trevor
Brian
Keith
Barry
Gary
Larry

...for the simple reason that to me they are old men names, I just simply couldn't imagine looking at a little baby boy and calling them these names.....

Gertrude
Ethel
Mavis
beryl
Pam
...same reason I guess...?

To anyone who I have offended, I am sorry! I'm sure your children are lovely, and I am sure you would hate the names of my kids!

#9 Guest_divineM_*

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

Sienna- sorry to all the Siennas out there. Don't know why I dislike it so much. Foreign names that Australians will have no idea how to pronounce- why do that to your kid?

#10 Ingrid the Swan

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

Yeah, these don't end well that often. Suppose we may be okay if we stick to classes of names rather than individual names themselves.

I don't like names that I've had a bad experience with - two names in particular, I swear I have actively disliked every person I've ever met with those names.

I don't like names that date easily and let people know exactly which half of which decade the person was born in. Probably from having a combined bad experience of having my own name be trend two decades before I was born, and having a number of friends growing up with the exact same FN and MN, most of whom disliked being known by their surname initial.

I don't like misspelled names as a rule, particularly when the spelling is not intuitive to the pronunciation.

And personal preference but I don't like names that have been made up recently, nor name smooshes unless they happen to make a legitimate name.

Forgot to add that I don't like names that I consider pretentious, especially on boys - and no, I'm not going to give an example, as one person's pretentious is another person's perfect.

Edited by Dabri, 03 January 2013 - 08:14 PM.

#11 LookMumNoHands

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

Oh good! I'm all up for some entertainment tonight  biggrin.gif .

#12 happening

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

Oh yes!  Trevor.   Truly awful name.  In my opinion.

#13 EsmeLennox

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

Any name that can be shortened to  something with 'azza' on the end... Shazza, Bazza, Dazza. I find them intensely annoying for some reason. There are also many, many names I dislike because they make me remember particular students...  wwhistle.gif

My brother's name is Trevor and I am now offended on his behalf. What, people don't like this stellar name of the 1960s???

Gawd, my brothers and sisters and I all copped names that stamp on us the time period in which we were born.

Edited by Jemstar, 03 January 2013 - 07:18 PM.

#14 twinboys

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

Male names with a V in them

Gavin
Kevin
Trevor
Calvin
Kelvin
Bevan
Ivor
Melvin
Evan

And so on!

#15 laura7

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

I don't like really common names like Isabella, Grace, Ava atm.  I liked these names before they were so popular.  I guess I want my child to stand out a little.  However, having said that people have criticised me on the choice of my children's names.  My two daughters are called Danica (pronounced Dah-nitz-a- the slavic pronounciation) and my youngest daughter is called Daniela.  My eldest child a boy is called Dominic.  So I have 3 D's and yes if I was to have another they would probably be called something starting with D too!!  Naming is very personal!

#16 Ingrid the Swan

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE (happening @ 03/01/2013, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh yes!  Trevor.   Truly awful name.  In my opinion.

Naw. I like Trevor, it's my grandfather's name and I would consider it in the MN position if we had two boys.

QUOTE (Jemstar @ 03/01/2013, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any name that can be shortened to
Something with 'azza' on the end... Shazza, Bazza, Dazza. I find them intensely annoying for some reason. There are also many, many names I dislike because they make me remember particular students...  wwhistle.gif

Like Warren  tongue.gif  (I still love it though, even though I know it will end up ocker, and DP and most people here think I have two heads for suggesting it)

#17 Guest_Amy Ramekin_*

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE (divineM @ 03/01/2013, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sienna- sorry to all the Siennas out there.

I dislike Sienna too. It soundish faddish to me.

And why should this thread end in tears? The OP stated that she hates my number one favourite girl's name in the world (my DD's middle name) but I couldn't give a rat's bottom what she thinks of it. I can't see the point of being offended just because a stranger on the internet dislikes my child's name.

#18 gemgirl

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

I don't like top 10 names, but obviously theyre popular for a reason. I do like surnames, unisex and place names, which are on a lot of people's hate lists.

#19 FeralBob!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Gobnat has never been a favourite of mine. Or Blodwin.

#20 Lucrezia Borgia

QUOTE (laura7 @ 03/01/2013, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Naming is very personal!

Exactly! I just realised the irony of posting that I don't like "old men names" when on my signature it's freely advertised that I named my second son "Charles" ...! Prince Charles anyone...? He's getting on a bit ..... tongue.gif

...we call him Charlie if that's any better...!

#21 Feral Mozzie

This is never going to end well. Names and naming style is such a personal thing!

I am not a fan of super traditional, commonly used names - such as David, Matthew, Michael, Ben. If I can type a name into our office intranet and find 5 pages of people with the same name, I'm not interested. This seems to before of an issue for boys names than girls.

On the other end of the spectrum, I'm not a fan of words used as names, or made up names (like Shade, Blade etc...).

My favorites are names that are easily recognisable but that you don't hear 20 times a day. I'm ok with recognized but lesser used spelling. I've never understood the argument about the child having to spell their name for life - I have an extremely common name and I have to spell it all the time.

Examples of names I like - Josephine, Amelia, Natalie, Julian, Nathaniel, Lachlan.

#22 Bunsen the feral

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

Thought I'd play along and see how quickly one of  my kids names would crop up - double whammy post #7 DS2 is a unisex tree!  biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Sassy Girl @ 03/01/2013, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Surnames

Unisex names

Places names

Types of trees

Made up names

Misspelt names

#23 Chelli

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

I dislike names that remind me of people I dislike. I won't name them here in case a relative recognises themselves tongue.gif

#24 ubermum

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

I don't like uneek names made up by some parents, or common names given uneek spelling.

Car, car enthusiast/ inspired or car like name- Porsha (spelled that way in dd's class), Mercedes, Holden, Bentley, Brock.

Surnames as first names- MacKenzie, Maclaren (ooh that one fits the previous category)

Place names, and in particular US states.

Animal names- Tiger, or names given to animals- Rex, Fifi

And, then a bunch of I just don't like them names- Boys names ending in aiden, Taj, Kai, Tristan and any girls names that featured in the biatch crowd at my highschool.

I don't like most names except the ones I have chosen. biggrin.gif

#25 ~~HappyMummy~~

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (rains @ 03/01/2013, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My daughter is Isabella (nn Bella) - I love it.  FWIW, she's named after my grandmother not the chick in Twilight.

I'm with you on made up names though and surnames as first names.
I have both in my mothers group - why why why??

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.