Ikea Expedit storage question

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 jobo77

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

So some other threads on toy storage have me inspired to do something about mine and I have just looked online at the Ikea range. There seem to be a few of you out there who have this storage system so for those who know about the Expedit series, there is a 4 cube shelving unit for $59 (on sale at moment) which looks great but then also a "bookshelf" for $89 that has 8 cubes that can be laid on its side. The measurements for the bigger one look fine and slightly less than putting 2 x 4 cubes together. Does anyone know if there is any difference other than that with the 2 units? The price difference has thrown me slightly I guess but if they are the same unit I will go with the bigger size unless the smaller ones are more stable etc  unsure.gif  
Thanks!

#2 Isolabella

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

We have both ( in different places).

We use the 2x2 inside the front door then the 1x5 laid down in the hallway for the kids shoes and school bags.

The boys room has the 2x4 in both horizontal and vertical positions. It is really you choice and what you need.

#3 TinMan

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

I have two of the 2x4 in DD room- they are very stable- no bend or wobble if leaned on- with the price at the moment I'd go the bigger set if you have room for them.

#4 LJandAJ

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

We have the 4x2 in easpch of the kids rooms, both laying down. When they getolder we will stand it up so I love that it can be a 'long term' peice of furniture. I wouldn't trust a 2x4 on top of another one so when the kids are older we would have needed to buy something new.

#5 jobo77

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

Thanks yes I prefer the bigger one but having just measured the car...I think getting it home might be a problem so we might have to get 2 of the 4 cube ones. Their delivery fee is ridiculous! Will try and get in there this weekend to check them out  original.gif

#6 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE (jobo77 @ 03/01/2013, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks yes I prefer the bigger one but having just measured the car...I think getting it home might be a problem so we might have to get 2 of the 4 cube ones. Their delivery fee is ridiculous! Will try and get in there this weekend to check them out  original.gif

Aren't they all flatpacked, build yourself type things?

#7 Carabosse

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

We fitted the 5 x 5 and the TV unit in our station wagon. But DH had to come back and pick us all up laughing2.gif

The kids have Trofasts in their bedrooms but I now wish I had bought Expedits. The Expedit is working out SO much better for toy storage and as a bookshelf than I had even imagined!

Edited by Carabosse, 03 January 2013 - 06:52 PM.

#8 jobo77

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

Aren't they all flatpacked, build yourself type things?

Yes but the length won't work unless I take out the car seats and lie the seats down. HATE getting the car seats back in with a passion so its not worth it for me  laugh.gif  My brother has access to a work van so he might be able to help out... will pay the store a visit and see how we go!

#9 Two Socks

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

We have 4x2 units in one of our children's bedrooms.  DS2 has three units in his room - one upright in his wardrobe as shelving, and two in his room - one upright for toys and treasures and the other horizontal under his elevated bed for books.  Very versatile units!  Hope your brother can help you out!

#10 i-candi

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

We have two 4x4 expedit storage side by side in our play room. They have really grown with the kids (have had them now for 5 years), so easy to store toys. They've gone from baby type books to novels to barbies now to Warhammer storage ! I'm so happy we got them.

#11 ~ky~

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:39 AM

We have a 5 x 5 and got that along with a bunk bed home in the back of an old Pajero. We bought both from the "as is" section of ikea and ended up getting the two for less than a new 5 x 5 expedit. The only damage it had was some scratches on the bottom from being dragged across the showroom floor!

I'm looking at getting a 4 x 2 for kids storage. I currently have some of their fabric cubes in our big expedit and they are fantastic. I use them for nappies, bibs, toys etc.

#12 Myprincesses

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:54 AM

They are great. We have a 5x5 for toy area, each DD has a 2x4 lying down in their rooms, and I have a 4x4 in the study for my craft things. They are a great investment and everyone foments on them.

In terms of what I get. it depends on what you are wanting them for. 2 2x4 would work if you needed to have them separate. Just when you put them together stand them next to each other not on top of each other.

Also just discovered yesterday that Bunnings sell fabric drawers that fit these in a huge range of colours for $13 each ($10in Sydney).

#13 winkywonkeydonkey

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:36 AM

We have 2 4 cube  because we couldnt fit the 8 cube box in our car original.gif

I had them nex to each other but now i have them split up into each kids room .

Edited by winkywonkeydonkey, 04 January 2013 - 07:22 AM.

#14 HRH Countrymel

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:16 AM

Hijack just a little...

Has anyone stacked expedit on top of expedit?

I've been looking at this on ikea hackers and am wondering: if I stacked two hacked 5x5s either on top of or underneath a couple of 5x1s then I could cover a whole wall in our bedroom and maybe - just maybe - my giant piles of crud could become an organised wall of wonderfulness?

Thoughts?

#15 BeYOUtiful

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

I would love to go on a spending frenzy at Ikea but budget won't allow it at the moment.
I bought these the other week at Big W - $10 + $12.
http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr169/J...zpsc0e8926a.jpg

They look pretty good I think for the price, and will do the job for some books and fabric baskets for toys.

The Bunnings fabric baskets a PP mentioned sound good.  What size are they PP? original.gif

#16 katpaws

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

If you are buying from Ikea make sure you have one of their memberships. There are some discounts on furniture etc atm for members.

#17 PurpleNess

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

Can I just OP what ever you get please bolt them to the walls!!

Can I just OP what ever you get please bolt them to the walls!!

#18 k10

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

AS PP's have said it depends on what you want it for.  We just bought 4 expedits (5x5, 4x4, 2x4 (laying on its side and 1 x 5).  I was umming and ahhing about the 2 x 2 for our room and ended up getting a Billy low unit that we haven't yet assembled and will most likely return for the 2x2.  this all filled a ute and the bigger ones are heavy!

We also got the canvas boxes from Bunnings ... colour range is great.  They are 33cm x 33cm and fit the expedits perfectly

Countrymel - not sure about the stacking ... I think you probably could stack a 1 x 5 on its side on top of a 5x5 if all were wall fixed?  I don't think I'd put a 5 x 5 on top of anything - too heavy! original.gif

#19 zzgirl

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

I put the 2x4 in the back of a hyundai excel with the back seats down - if you've got a hatchback it should fit.

#20 Bathsheba52

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE (countrymel @ 04/01/2013, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hijack just a little...

I've been looking at this on ikea hackers and am wondering: if I stacked two hacked 5x5s either on top of or underneath a couple of 5x1s then I could cover a whole wall in our bedroom and maybe - just maybe - my giant piles of crud could become an organised wall of wonderfulness?

Thoughts?

You had me at hackers.... I've also seen a walk-in wardrobe fitted out floor to ceiling with it - here - http://www.ikeahackers.net/2012/12/expedit...-in-closet.html

My two cents worth is - secure it to the wall, and each unit to another. Put the 1 x 5 on top, not on the bottom. Wish Ikea made 5 x 2.... Also, measure twice and cut once (not that you should need to cut...) - but make sure what you make up will fit the space. I used a 5 x 5 recently as a room divider - $200+ and you have a new room. Can't beat that!

#21 BeYOUtiful

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

We also got the canvas boxes from Bunnings ... colour range is great. They are 33cm x 33cm and fit the expedits perfectly

Cheers, thanks for that k10.

#22 Riotproof

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE (countrymel @ 04/01/2013, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hijack just a little...

Thoughts?

I think you'd need to bolt them to the wall, which you can do with the four cube one, not sure about the bigger. Thanks for the tip about the Bunnings canvas boxes, has anyone found cheaper sturdy baskets or cane ones? I want to be to able to put ds's books in something.

#23 HRH Countrymel

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

Another question...  I'm sitting here trying to work out how I can hack this expedit but my maths is letting me down!

Can some kind expedit owning soul please do me a huge favour?

Can you measure the inside measurement of a square as well the width of the dividers/walls?

I would be ever so grateful!

#24 HRH Countrymel

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

*bump*

Anyone?

Anyone with a ruler and a kindly disposition?

#25 item

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

Ask on the hacker forum, there are ppl there who do thi for fun!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win a Mountain Buggy Swift

To celebrate Essential Baby reaching half a million Facebook fans, we have a Mountain Buggy Swift to giveaway to a lucky fan.

Shopping with kids: breaking the pester-power cycle

You're out shopping with your little one and they're incessantly whining that they want a treat. It's easy to say no ... the first time, at least.

eBay jacket may hold clue to murdered girl's identity

A jacket similar to the one found with the remains of a brutally murdered little girl in South Australia has been identified on eBay.

New mum forced back to work early due to paid parental leave 'technicality'

Shelley Parker had to keep driving buses until the date her baby was due and will have to rush back to work at the end of this week after being denied paid parental leave on a "technicality".

Pregnant Amanda Palmer poses naked for book drive

It has to be the most original way ever of promoting a children's book donation day.

The conception dilemma facing many parents today

Some parents who conceived through a sperm donor will be wary of telling the child, while others prefer to deal with it early on. But recent research suggests it makes little difference either way.

The wedding photo the bridesmaid would rather forget

We've probably all seen a passed-out bridesmaid at one wedding or another, but it usually happens towards the end of the night.

Pregnant TV meteorologist takes on haters

Pregnant TV meteorologist Katie Fehlinger has hit back at haters who called her a "sausage in casing".

Honest words from first-time mums

I didn't want to say anything negative to my pregnant friend, but I wish I'd been more honest.

Adorable baby experiences rain for the first time, couldn't be happier

Harper had seen rain from the comfort of indoors before, but had never had the pleasure of being outside and experiencing it first hand.

What it's really like to start a family in your fifties

Many people suppose that it must be much more tiring to have a baby in middle age, but all the mothers in the playground look exhausted, whatever their age.

'Biggest hypocrite ever': Josh Duggar admits to Ashley Madison account

An American reality TV star has been busted with a cheating website account, according to US media.

Long recovery ahead for girl hit by car weeks after baby brother's death

A little girl is more alert and starting to talk after being hit by a car a week ago, but still faces a long recovery.

How to react when a toddler lies

Q: My almost-3-year-old is starting to figure out that he can lie when asked if he ripped the book, threw the food, hit his brother, etc. Totally normal, I know. How do we respond?

The circular experience of a Centrelink client

A mum-to-be experiences the frustration of dealing with Centrelink, myGov and everything in between.

Kelly Clarkson announces live on stage: 'I'm pregnant!'

Singer Kelly Clarkson has announced she is pregnant with her second child during a concert in Los Angeles.

Hack

How to search the leaked Ashley Madison data

At least three sites are republishing Ashley Madison's user data on the public-facing internet.

Mum dances her way through labour

There are a fair few ways to distract yourself and beat pains while in labour, but it's probably a rare woman who chooses her dance her way through it.

'Rest in peace, my little lion': premmie baby Jacob passes away

Baby Jacob, whose photo of him born at just 27 weeks was deemed 'too graphic' for a fundraising site, has died.

Mum killed three young sons 'to help her daughter', prosecutor says

Niall Pilkington's death last summer apparently raised little alarm in Bellefontaine, Ohio. Tragic accidents happen, after all.

Shorter women have shorter pregnancies: study

When a group of researchers studied nearly 3500 mothers and their babies, they noticed a curious pattern.

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

The worst 20 minutes of my life

Thirty seconds was all it took to turn a shopping trip into my worst nightmare.

Top baby names for England and Wales in 2014

George has overtaken William in the official rankings of most popular British baby names - and Game of Thrones is still having an impact on parents.

Baseball or baby? Dad's tough choice

What's more important, a baby or a baseball? That's a question this dad seems to struggle with.

Childbirth choices: five star or free?

It's not often you hear the words labour and luxury in the same sentence but for some, a 5-star start to parenthood is exactly what they seek. And with a number of private hospitals now offering packages which include a post-birth stay at a sumptuous first class resort, many mums are choosing to recover in style.

'Where did your boobies go, Mummy?' and other soul-destroying comments from kids

Most women carry a smidge of baby weight after giving birth. If you're lucky enough to have an older child in the house, they can keep you on track with your weight loss goals.

Do you read me, baby?

Is it too soon to be reading to my two-month-old son? If not, what should I read?

Minimising sibling rivalry when you've got a baby

Sibling rivalry is an act of competition, but if your children feel involved and special, this type of jealousy will be minimised.

Will studying on maternity leave take you away from your most important job?

I remember when I was trying to decide if I could combine motherhood and furthering my university education.

Win a Pacapod this Father's Day

To celebrate dads and families, we are giving away a Picos Pack from Pacapod Australia filled with a few extra goodies ENTER NOW

Preschooler hit by car shortly after baby brother's death

A mother has had a frantic race to the hospital after her daughter was hit by a car, just four weeks after her infant son died.

Gay couple and Thai surrogate in custody tug-of-war

A six-month-old baby girl is trapped in the Thai capital in a bitter custody wrangle between her Thai surrogate mother and her biological father.

Couple denied IVF over parenting concerns

A mother of six has been denied access to IVF treatment in order to have another child over concerns about her parenting skills.

The book that promises to put your children to sleep

Exhausted parents from around the world are singing the praises of a "miracle" book which promises to put even the most restless child to sleep in just minutes.

5 things every parent who feels guilty needs to know

Parenthood can make you feel bad, but you're not alone.

Royals criticise 'dangerous' attempts to photograph Prince George

The British royal family criticized paparazzi on Friday for what it called their increasingly dangerous attempts to photograph young Prince George.

'No jab, no play' rule to cover Victorian kindergartens and childcare centres

"Anti-vaxxers" face not being able to send their children to childcare centres or kindergarten if they refuse to have them immunised.

15,000 birthing kits on their way to developing countries

Giving birth in a hospital surrounded by medical experts is tough enough, but some women deliver babies without a clean sheet to lie on.

Photo of premmie 'too graphic', fundraising site says

When their son Jacob was born at just 27 weeks, Christina and Jeff Hinks were thrown into an uncertain world.

The latest Bugaboo collections: cool chevron and runner prams

Bugaboo sure likes to keep things fresh, and with the Australian spring/summer season coming up, there are two new Bugaboo pram releases.

Making room for two in the bed

Mum's room or their own room? Cot or bassinets? Deciding where twins will sleep can be tricky.

FREE TICKET

See Hi-5 LIVE in Sydney!

Get your free ticket to The Essential Baby & Toddler Show and save $20 - register online now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.