setting up holiday place
advice please

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 babysaurs

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

Hi
Dh and I are looking at setting up a holiday rental in the pines York peninsula sa.
For those in sa would love to know if this would be a place you would go on holiday?
It would be a 3 bedroom place.
What things do you kook for in a holiday rental that we should have here? What configaration of beds?
What else are the essential things?
Any help or advice greatly appreciated:)

#2 LittleMissPink

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

If you are catering to families, a bathtub, highchair and clean portacot would come in handy.

It depends on your market for the bed configuration, but for general rentals I would suggest a queen, a twin room ( 2 singles) and a bunk room.

#3 Genabee

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

Can't help you with the location, but when we have stayed at a holiday rental, we have needed (and looked for rentals based on whether or not they can provide):

- cot or porta cot
- high chair
- linen
- heating/cooling options
- basic kitchen equipment (pots, pans, knives, cutlery, crockery, can opener, bottle opener etc)
- Wifi
- washing facilities
- Perhaps information on where the local shops, doctors, chemist and other important, useful services are located.

#4 babysaurs

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

Thankyou so much for your reply!
Will add those things to our list.
Is bed configuratin of 1x queen in eac larger room and the 2x bunks in 1 room ok?
Do people prefer bunks or are they seen as too dangerous for kids?
Games and dvds are a great idea i know we have appreciated these things before too:)

#5 Elemenopee

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

First thing I would check is if The Pines is on mains water. Some towns further down the Peninsula are not. Ours isn't. This means we cannot supply any linen, and also means we need to consider how much water we've got, which then effects how many bookings we can take. You're not it SA OP? I would also need to know that I had a cleaner first - or 2. Our cleaner gave us 4 hours notice that she had left town, and we had people coming in that day, so it was a mad scramble to find someone else.
Would I stay there? I'm not sure what the beach is like there, that would be are biggest consideration. How far is it to surf beaches? I think there is just one shop. Yorkes is a great place to holiday, and we get lots of bookings. Ours is in the main surfing hub so we get lots of surfers.

#6 babysaurs

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

Do to the area wifi would not be an option so i dont think there would be any interenet access at the property. It is a rural area about 1 st back from the beach:)

#7 Elemenopee

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

That is the bed configuration we have - 2 queens, and 2 bunk beds, so sleeps 8, but we say hous limit of 6 as more than that burns through our rainwater.

#8 elmo_mum

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

decent cookware
usable knives
nice linen

king bed
as many beds as u can - a dble bunk?
fold out couch
comfy couches!!!

nice sized dinig table

good tv - prefer cable, even basic package, or at least dvd/blue ray with a decent libary!

#9 Elemenopee

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

A loclable cupboard/room/shed so when you stay there you can have a place to leave things you don't want others to have access to.
My husband asks if The Pines has mobile phone service?

A loclable cupboard/room/shed so when you stay there you can have a place to leave things you don't want others to have access to.
My husband asks if The Pines has mobile phone service?

#10 babysaurs

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

We are in SA about 2hrs awat from where the property is:)
Elemenopee do you mind me asking where your property is?

This is a link the some info on the beach
http://beachsafe.org.au/beach/sa0455

#11 sandgropergirl

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

We have a place and have all that has been suggested but we also have king sized beds

#12 Elemenopee

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

Marion Bay

#13 Elemenopee

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

Ooh thought of another question I would be asking: How far to nearest boat ramp?

#14 babysaurs

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

Nearest boat ramp is about 200m away but a tractor is needed to launch there otherwise there is one at pt turton about 20kms away.
Yes the is phone service there.
There is a small general store there too i believe.
I dont think the pines is on main water so yes thats also a factor we hadnt thought of great point!

#15 Escapin

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

I would hope to find:
good knives
comfy beds with decent pillows
shower with decent water pressure.

Anything else is a bonus! Good luck, how exciting. This is something I'd love to do one day original.gif

#16 babysaurs

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Elemenopee what size and how many rainwater tanks do you have at the propety in marion bay? Do you find thats enough?
There are 2 on the property we are looking at but nt 100% sure of the size of them yet.

#17 Elemenopee

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

Water is our biggest factor. If we have a breakdown, it's usually the water pump. We have had to replace a water tank this season, and buy in water. It's something we have to always keep an eye on.
I have never been to The Pines, but just had a look on the map and it is close to Pt Turton, which is a beautiful town.
PS you must be closish to me, we are 2.5hrs straight up from Marion Bay

Sorry just saw your question. Our new tank is 14000L, which is how much water we bought to fill it. Should see us through summer.

Edited by Elemenopee, 03 January 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#18 babysaurs

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

I didnt even know you could buy in water lol!
Do you find your rental rents out ok? Do you manage it yourself or though realestate Elemenopee? And do you stay at your very often?
We planing to stay at ours when ever possible and no being used:)
We are near Clare in mid north sa:)

#19 Mpjp is feral

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

We have also had several rentals. Water is also our biggest issue, we are on tank and ate careful but holiday renters most definitely are not. We now have a policy where the tank is full at the start of their stay but if, within a week they run out the cost of water gets added to the bill. It's a high demand area so we get away with this. We also have a max no of people (and bedding that reflects this) so we don't get huge crowds in.

I second the cleaner issue.

When we've rented we always like it when the max bedding equals everything else in the house I.e sleeps 8 do also seats 8 (dining and lounge), eating implements etc. We once rented a6 bedroom place w family, and it only came w 6 sets of plates etc! You'd have to have eaten in shifts!!

#20 Corella

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

We tend to go south to rent but some things we also like are - hand reels for fishing if there is a spot nearby, contact numbers for someone who can do something in an emergency (not some random who's 200km away), clear instructions on how to work things in the house, a DVD player, and the others as written above original.gif.

#21 Elemenopee

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

Ahh and I have just worked out who you are. Duh! Hope J has settled in well to school.
Ours rents out OK. It covered about 1/2 our monthly mortgage repayments.
We use takeabreak and stayz.
I don't tend to go down much as it is too hard with our 4 kids. My hubs goes down all the time as he surfs.
PS I know your from kindy if you are still trying to figure it out

#22 babysaurs

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

Mmm kindy might need a few more clues lol!

#23 Frockme

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

It's so refreshing to walk into a holiday house, no matter the "dressing up" of the place, to find it well equipped.
Laundry = washer + drier and laundry powder + clothes line, basket and pegs.
Will Beds to include linen or not? A price for rental linen for interstate travellers is a must!
Good cutlery, bread boards, knives that cut! A bottle opener! Peeler, grater etc all the basic and some!
Pp's have listed good things here too.
A to do list and a where to eat list is vital. Not just a where you would eat but a good description of local eats and drinks is so handy.
Details re bin night if you need guests to put them out!

If you have a high yearly turn over then the need to buy new mattresses regularly is essential.

Odds and sods are always a pleasant surprise. A Christmas cake for Xmas holiday renters, noodle for the pool, binoculars if you have a great view etc etc. board games, DVD's ( no videos). Books, local paper, recent magazines.

Create an atmosphere of pay it forward! One tenant leaves a book ( hopefully with a message in the cover), another leaves a tub of washing powder and a bottle of olive oil or a positive message somewhere.

Hope it makes sense.  original.gif

#24 ChilliDog

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

Lots of good suggestions here OP.

Just thought I'd add that if space allows try and have a king bed in the main bedroom. DH and I won't even consider staying somewhere that doesn't have a king bed! Maybe we're spoilt but that's what we're used to ... and those not used to it will think its an awesome added extra!

#25 HubbaBubbaMumma

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (EHB @ 03/01/2013, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We had a holiday place and had much of what Cattivo suggested, including the books, games folder of local attractions/restaurant brochures. Ours was only a small 2 bed place, but we managed to have 6 beds (2 bunks in 1 bedroom).

Good saucepans
Good knives
Good cutlery
Proper cutting boards
Coffee pot (we only supplied a stove top type)
Plenty of glad wrap, foil, baking paper,paper towels
Cleaning products
garbage bags, dishwashing liquid/powder
Soap on tap in bathrooms/kitchen
Toilet paper-Plenty
Vacuum, brooms.
Soap, shampoo even
Tea towels
My way of thinking is the more cleaning stuff there the more likely the occupants will clean up.

We also had a great coits set which could be played indoors.
A solid outdoor setting is great if you have a bbq/garden/view.
Magazines
Pens, paper, guest book
Lots of spare blankets, pillows - I hate being cold.
Mattress and pillow protectors.
Plenty of coat hangers.
Condiments, cold water in fridge, ice made.
Air conditioning.

These are all winners for me!
We spend a week away with my family every year, in fact we leave today to go! There's usually 12 of us and the thing we really like is plenty of fridge space. That many people need lots of food (and drink) so haing adequate storage is a must.
Tissues in the bathrooms and a bin too are needed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

A solo birth, a wasp swarm and a forest fire: mum and baby's amazing story of survival

Desperate, out of petrol and low on food, a new mother lit a fire in the hope of attracting attention.

Boy found on swing died of hypothermia and dehydration, autopsy finds

The story was chilling and heartbreaking: a three-year-old boy was found dead in a Southern Maryland park, his mother pushing him on the swing.

Child's play and laughter help battle fatigue

Feeling fatigued? Uh-huh, thought as much. Join the queue.

Dad shares entertaining 'how to hold a baby' clip

For many new dads, their own child is the first baby they have ever held. So one dad has posted an instructive YouTube video titled "How to Hold a Baby".

The Australian baby with 100,000 Facebook fans

She may be only eight months old, but Egypt has already amassed more than 100,000 fans and received a letter from royalty - Hollywood royalty that is.

Public welcome outside church for Princess Charlotte's christening

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have invited well-wishers to see Princess Charlotte outside church in Sandringham on day of her baptism.

Tongue tie: what you need to know

Tongue and lip tie can lead to many problems for babies - and their parents. Here are the signs of tongue tie and how it's treated.

My daughter is small but that doesn't matter

My daughter may be small, but it's my job as her parent to refocus back where it belongs - on who she is as a person

Wet wipes linked to rise in allergic reactions

The government has issued a health warning after a rise in allergic skin reactions has been linked to a preservative found in some wet wipes.

Gay couple in their 80s first to wed in Dallas after Supreme Court ruling

Love may have won, but it came with quite the wait.

William Tyrrell's family marks birthday with cake and renewed appeal

The family of missing boy William Tyrrell will mark his fourth birthday on Friday making a cake to share with friends and family as NSW police renewed their public appeal for information on his disappearance.

What all parents should know about safe babywearing

A picture of Ryan Reynolds always gets the girls talking, and a recently shared photo has done exactly that - but this time, it's for all the wrong reasons.

Baby's head shape reveals potentially fatal condition

Thinking her baby just had an unusually shaped head, a mother was shocked to discover it was instead linked to a dangerous condition.

'Help - my toddler hits me!'

My toddler has started hitting when he gets frustrated, is feeling ignored, or just thinks it might be fun.

Why IVF success rates may not be what you think

Transparency, accountability and responsibilityare essential measures to protect IVF vulnerable patients.

On the 10th anniversary of my son's death

This day marks a significant day. Today marks 10 years since I lost my son Kai.

Mother-in-law 'from hell' inspires survival guide

The happily ever after Nicola Milan had imagined wasn't to be – and she blames her mother-in-law.

Name your baby Quinoa, win a $10K gift card

Choosing a name for your little bundle of joy is always a major decision. It can be something traditional, trendy, creative … or inspired by the menu of your favourite chain restaurant.

Owning a pair of nail scissors does not make me a hairdresser

It's been a whole year since sleeping in until 10am. A whole year since having a peaceful shower.

The 83 children who were tragically let down in the last decade

Over a 10-year period, 83 children died from domestic violence abuse in NSW, with three quarters of the victims aged five years or under, the NSW Ombudsman has revealed.

Expert Q&A: Gross motor skill development in toddlers and preschoolers

Dr Katie Heathershaw answers questions about jumping, toe walking, riding a bike and being pigeon toed.

Is it reasonable to expect your partner to give up drinking in pregnancy?

From the moment that I fell pregnant with my son, I realised just how much my life had already started to change.

Stroke victim joins class action against makers of popular contraceptive pill

"I was terrified I would always be this way. The pill needs to come with a much higher warning."

Sexy time

Why you should get excited about scheduling sex

Unfortunately, the belief that sex should always be spontaneous is a myth. It just isn't.

When newborn photoshoots get messy

When it comes to newborn photoshoots, it is all about the timing.

Orphaned baby daughter Ayla wakes from coma

Former All Black Jerry Collins' critically injured orphaned daughter has awoken from her coma and is able to bottle-feed.

Dad takes miraculous catch while feeding baby

One American father has taken multitasking to a new level at a Cubs-Dodgers baseball game at Wrigley Field.

'Samuel is our firstborn, and he will never be forgotten'

Having lost their firstborn at one day old, the Carrolls were overjoyed to welcome their daughter Isobel into the world a year later.

Channel 10's Sarah Harris expecting first child

The Studio host Sarah Harris doesn't mind if her first baby is a boy or girl, but she does hope it is born with one thing in particular.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

27 funny ultrasound pictures

Ultrasounds give you a look at your growing baby ... and sometimes what appears to their womb-buddy, or your bub in an amusing position.

The top 6 misleading parenting terms

From 'morning sickness' to 'the terrible twos', there are many parenting terms that are misleading.

When 'good' nannies go bad

While most nannies take pride in their work, there can be some who have a hidden side.

Woman hospitalised for skinny jeans injury

Beware: skinny jeans might be bad for your health.

Gauze seeding: the bacteria-breeding birth trend

A number of women having caesarean deliveries are now taking steps to give their baby a better 'microbiome' start in life.

Jimmy Fallon writes new children's book for dads

Jimmy Fallon, host of NBC's The Tonight Show, recently wrote a children's book about every father's secret wish for their baby's first word to be "dada" - not "mama".

28 names for babies born in winter

Looking for some baby name inspiration for a bub born during the colder months? Here are 28 options from around the world to consider.

The horrible act that sparked a brawl at child's birthday party

The uncle of the seven-year-old girl at the centre of the brawl at child's birthday party in Sydney's west has described the events leading up to the alarming show of violence.

Babies 'benefit from iPads at a young age': study

More often than not, you'll read that screen time for children should be kept to a minimum - but some scientists are now challenging this way of thinking.

Do mums really just obsessively talk about their children?

Natalie Reilly describes three main types of conversations mothers have. And, surprise, they're not all about kids.

Why some dogs might attack babies or young kids

A baby's smell, the noises it makes and even its gaze can contribute to the potential for a dog attack.

Mum demands refund for 'beargina' christening cake

It was meant to be a tasteful cake to help celebrate a three-year-old's christening.

5 things no one warns you about after giving birth

How many times have you been warned about all the sleepless nights you have to 'look forward to' when you become a parent?

Police officer sang nursery rhyme as heartbreaking photo was taken

A police officer arrived at a devastating scene on Thursday: a car crash resulting in all passengers being thrown from the vehicle.

Don't worry, working mums: Just leave Dad in charge at home

Want to open the boardroom doors for women? Encourage - heck, praise - dads who stay home with their children.

Hilaria Baldwin shares post-baby selfie

Just two days after giving birth, actor Alec Balwin's wife posted a post-baby picture on social media.

'Help - my child won't ever do what I ask!'

Compliance is part of the parent-child relationship, but so is resistance. It's all natural.

Postnatal depression support gets $23 million boost in NSW

The Baird government will include $22.8 million in Tuesday's NSW budget to expand a program designed to help parents at risk of postnatal depression (PND).

'I'm just as tired, scared and stressed as you': stay-at-home dad's plea

I'm really lucky to have two great kids, but I found it really tough with so much being aimed at the mothers and not the fathers.

FREE TICKET

Get your FREE ticket to the Baby & Toddler Show

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.