What do you wish somebody had told you...
...before you had a second child?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 epl0822

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

Kind of self explanatory....what do you wish somebody had told you before you had your second child?

Is it much different having two kids as opposed to one? Having one kid was enough of a shock to my system....I want to have fair warning before embarking on #2.

#2 sarkazm76

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

My therapist told me it's like going from 1 to 3, lol.  You have your relationship with child 1 to maintain, relationship to build with child 2 and then you have to guide their relationships with each other as well (avoiding jealousy etc etc).  Sigh.
I'll be lurking for others feedback biggrin.gif

#3 Natttmumm

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

Despite what others say for me one was the hardest. Having number 2 didn't make much difference to us. I wish someone told me that as I stressed out beforehand.
Dont stress and keep a positive mind, oh and get a capsule so you can move bub from car asleep

#4 epl0822

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (Natttmumm @ 03/01/2013, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Despite what others say for me one was the hardest. Having number 2 didn't make much difference to us. I wish someone told me that as I stressed out beforehand.
Dont stress and keep a positive mind, oh and get a capsule so you can move bub from car asleep

I had a capsule with #1 and found it totally useless...(DS would wake up anyway, he was a fatty and nearly broke my wrist every time I moved him, etc....) would you say it's more useful for a second bub?

#5 *mylittleprince*

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

I've just gone from one to three (twins) and it's been great! I found my first the hardest whereas I feel like I know so much more this time round, especially with regards to sleep and settling.

#6 CupOfCoffee

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

That you might not be a perfect parent after all  laugh.gif

Turns out I just had an easy first child... my second child has shown me flaws in myself that I didn't know existed.

#7 I*Love*Christmas

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Going from 1 child to 2 children was way easier for me then going from no children to 1. But also my eldest, DS, was a nightmare baby who wouldn't sleep or settle.

The things that are noticeably different:

1) This may sound horrible but I found the milestones and firsts of everything weren't so dramatic and surprisng. Baby 1 got first tooth and it was incredible and then when baby 2 got a first tooth it was more 'meh'. Don't get me wrong it is still special but doesn't come with the fireworks too  wink.gif

2) You definitely don't get as many gifts or fuss which I preferred actually. I was more or less left alone to get use to my new baby. I have bags full of cards and stuff from when DS was born but only a little envelope  of cards from DD.

3) Each baby is likely to be different. Swing was a lifesaver with DS but DD screamed the whole time in it. Capsule was a lifesaver with DS as well but DD never went to sleep in the car.

#8 Fillyjonk

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

I found 1 to 2 a lot easier. Someone could have told me that I will not have anywhere near as much time or mental capacity to fret over the little things like sleep times etc that I did with the first.

#9 belindarama

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

That it would not be anywhere near as bad as I feared! I struggled a bit with the transition to motherhood. Going from one to two was easy in comparison.

I was terrified!

Also, that your standards slip a bit, you just don't have the ability to give number one the same attention you used to. Number 2 doesn't get the same attention number 1 did. The only place this has really mattered for me is discipline. It is just not as easy once you have two. For a start they have the ability to drive each other crazy so that causes more issues than when you just had one playing nicely alone.

Mine do entertain each other but they also argue about what to play, who had a toy first, whose turn it is to do x, y or z and so on.

Also, it is a heck of lot noisier but more fun.

I promise it won't be as bad as you think!

#10 ~benita~

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

That you love that new baby so fiercely and in turn love your first one so much more because they love the baby so much as well.

Then you love your husband so much - basically because it is a great big love in!

#11 FiveAus

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

If someone had told me that first child, who was such a sweet and placid baby, would go from crawling to climbing bookshelves, fences and everything taller than me, and run faster than I could ever dream of, and turn into a one-man demolition derby, by the time child two was 3 months old, I'd have seriously considered having my husband neutered.

#12 Natttmumm

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

For me the capsule was great, DD2 transferred beautifully and slept for ages. Worked for us until around 4 months when she would wake.
I guess they are all different.

#13 SeaPrincess

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE (Natttmumm @ 03/01/2013, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with the first part of this - the first baby was by far the hardest!

Capsule didn't work at all for me. I only had one with my third baby and she hated it - every car journey was filled with screams from the time the engine started until we reached our destination.  We had moved interstate and had a hire car and when our own car arrived, we put her into the convertible and she was absolutely fine.

#14 No girls here

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

I think a lot has to do with what the baby is like.

I had my difficult one first, so 1 to 2 was easier than I expected. I know others who had an easy baby for their first and struggled a lot with the second one.

#15 Maple Leaf

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

That the personalities of my 2 girls will be like oil and water and I will spend my days being a referee. Sigh.

Of course, that could never have been predicted, but I would have liked to have been a bit more prepared.

#16 FiveAus

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE (Maple Leaf @ 03/01/2013, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That the personalities of my 2 girls will be like oil and water and I will spend my days being a referee. Sigh.

Of course, that could never have been predicted, but I would have liked to have been a bit more prepared.

LOL! Mine are the same, but my girls were numbers 3 and 4. I got so used to the boys just rubbing along with each other, no fights, just two busy but cruisy little boys.......then along came Miss B, and ohmigod, she came out punching the air and screaming insults at everyone. Four and a half years later her quiet, sensitive sister was born, and it was on for young and old then! Princess Welterweight was in her glory.......someone smaller, someone who screamed back.

#17 **Tiger*Feral**

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

----

Edited by Tyrone Finkelmeyer, 26 March 2013 - 08:26 PM.

#18 Chelara

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

That it won't bring #1s world crashing down, they'll grow more independent, love the newbie fiercely and just get on with it. They'll also be great company for Mum and a motivator to get out each day.

#19 bikingbubs

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

second has not been as difficult as adjusting to our first.  best bit of advice - dont expect them to be the same! DD is 10 weeks old and totally different in many ways to her brother was!
to the pp that said you dont get as much help (or gifts, but dont care about that!) i found second time around much easier to actually ask for help rather than wait fpr it - although still had plenty of offers!

#20 ajo

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

That they really will be totally different in everything they do!!!! Mt first was in hindsight sooooooo easy but my second didn't sleep like my first, always wanted to be held and feed and was and remains  higher maintenance, so was a real shock when I couldn't get her to sleep 12 hrs a night at three months like my first!!! By my third I was nice a chilled and realized that they all are different and to go with the flow and enjoy the ride as they grow so quickly original.gif

#21 KatakaGeoGirl

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

I wish someone had untold me how hard it was going to be. It was so much easier than I was told by so many people.

But I think it depends on the temperament of the children in question. My first was a very difficult child from get-go - and the second just breezed into life pretty easily, and did everything when she was supposed to.

For me it was a breeze.

#22 snuffles

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

They are different.  My #1 was a velcro baby, screamed when put down and had real issues going to sleep.  #2 was cruisy, happy to be left on the floor for significant periods of time just looking at the things around him, slept pretty well and dealt with his older sister's attentions very patiently, LOL.  #3 was my gogo baby, as soon as he could commando crawl at just over 4 months there was no stopping him and he walked at 10 months.... also, he figured out how to climb the dining table at 8 months.

#23 Chelli

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

That #2 would bring child #1 just as much joy as she did us and that the novelty would not wear off. DD1 loves her sister so much and always has done. That also did not change when DD3 came along. I consider myself very lucky.

#24 mrsshero

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

Just because #1 was a relaxed/easy baby doesn't mean #2 will be a nightmare.
It is possible to have 2 (or even 3) relaxed/easy children original.gif

#25 123tree

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

You will never ever have a tidy house again.

They won't kill each other.  They will love each other and once the newborn is big enough to handle it they wrestle and kiss each other.  All the time.

They love to look after each other more than I would ever have thought or expected.  I have two boys so not sure if a boy girl combination may be different.

It is like the PP said about it all being a big family love in.  

I wish someone had told me that instead of making me think it was going to be hell.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Warnings over child pain relief doses

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has warned parents and carers over a "confusing" pain relief dosage system.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.