Jump to content

Amnio after PGD - advice/ thoughts please!
FS recommended it but i m terrified!!


  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 1sttimelucky

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

Hey everyone.

I really need some opinions and perhaps some information you may have from your own experiences..

My FS mentioned that an amnio is encouraged to 100% confirm that our baby (currently 15 weeks- yay!) does not have Cystic Fibrosis.. ( we had PGD done to eliminate the chance and it was the only reason to have IVF)

as you can all appreciate more than anyone else this is a TERRIFYING concept when there is a .5% risk of miscarriage from the procedure and my clinic gives me a 1% risk of them being wrong about our baby not being affected...

i honestly do not know how i will feel if they did get it wrong and my baby is affected either by CF or something else.. i cant be sure so my thoughts on what we will do with the results arent helping my decision either!

has anyone else had their clinic suggest this? i know they are covering their bum but i m getting all bogged down in the stats; the chance of them being wrong weighed against the chance of miscarriage..

it would be a real help to hear from anyone who has been through PGD and your thoughts on amnio/CVS.

thanks!



#2 Magenta_

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

Hi 1stTimeLucky,  

Great to hear everything is going well (I am 15 weeks tomorrow too!) but sorry you have to make these decisions, it must be so difficult.

Fortunately, our NT scan came back as really low risk but I prepared in case I had to make this decision by researching as much as possible about the risks/procedures.  The best article I found was this one on the ABC.  I'm not sure what our "magic number" would have been to do additional testing but this made me feel MUCH more comfortable with it, had we needed to go down that path.

From my maths 1:1600 = 0.000625% and 1:1000 = 0.001% which were odds I was very comfortable with.  That said, a 1% chance of them being wrong is a 99% chance of them being right!  wacko.gif

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/progra...8314#transcript

I hope this helps in some way - wishing you luck with your decision!  hhugs.gif

Magenta xx

#3 Corella

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

Would you terminate if the results came back positive? Would you be ok with losing a normal pregnancy (a 1 in 200 risk with an amnio)?

#4 TillyTake2

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE (Corella @ 04/01/2013, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would you terminate if the results came back positive? Would you be ok with losing a normal pregnancy (a 1 in 200 risk with an amnio)?


This would be my thoughts. If you wouldn't terminate I wouldn't do the test. If you would then you need to weigh the options. I personally wouldn't terminate so I wouldn't do the test.


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

 

Mum shares hilarious story about attempting shower sex

As most parents know, finding time for sex post-kids is one of life's not-so-little challenges.

16 things you'll learn on the preschool party circuit

Kids birthday parties sound fun in the abstract but the reality is they often end up an introverts worst nightmare – forced social interaction in the name of good parenting.

The 92-year-old who's a great-great-great-grandmother

A 92-year-old Canadian woman has become a great-great-great grandmother this week after the family welcomed a baby boy.

The Pramrolla mimics a walk in the park to help your baby get to sleep

Simply put the pram brake on, set the wheels on top of the Pramrolla, plug it in and off they go ... or so they think.

Beyonce shares surreal pregnancy photo shoot

Pop superstar Beyonce on Thursday released a slew of photos of herself posing pregnant and nude.

Airport staff order mum to squeeze her breasts to prove she's lactating

A Singaporean mum of two has spoken about her humiliation at the hands of German airport security guards who ordered her to prove she could breastfeed.

How to keep your baby or toddler safe at home

Child-proofing tips that will ensure your home remains a safe haven for curious toddlers and babies on the move.

Told to get rid of their dogs, this expectant couple took the sweetest photos instead

When the couple conceived their first human child they came under enormous pressure to give up their dogs.

Bereaved parents take baby home for 'family time' after death, thanks to cuddle cot

A bereaved mother has spoken about her decision to take her daughter's body home to spend time as a family before her funeral.

'Get off your phone!': the daycare note that's got people talking

A note posted by a US daycare facility has urged parents to get off their phone when collecting their children:

Babysitter's creative 'hands-free' baby carrier hack

We've all been there – you need to hold the baby, but you also need to eat.

Will these be the most on-trend baby names of 2017?

Nameberry has crunched the numbers, predicting which monikers will see a rise in 2017.

Firefighter adopts the baby he helped deliver

Five years ago firefighter Marc Hadden took an emergency call that changed his life.

Mum shares graphic image to highlight importance of rear-facing car seats for kids

A British safety blogger has shared a graphic photo of the damage a seatbelt can do in a car accident in a bid to persuade more parents to use rear-facing car seats for as long as possible with their kids.

Pharrell Williams and his wife welcome triplets

Now that's a good way to start the new year.

Turn yourself into a child's climbing gym with this wearable vest

It's such a neat idea for those living in high density apartment blocks where children may struggle to get enough physical activity.

Bugaboo unveils its new Bugaboo Bee5

The lightweight and compact Bugaboo Bee has been on the scene for a decade now.

The first few weeks of pregnancy: surreal, scary, exciting

It is okay to be worried, nervous, anxious, in love and happy all at the same time.

 
Advertisement
 

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement
 
 
 

From our network

Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores

3-5 March 2017, Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre. Get your FREE ticket now. Save $20.

Your child's fine motor skills: what you should know

There is less of a focus on fine motor skills, but they're just as important as others. (SPONSORED)

5 ways music helps your toddler's development

There are at least five other compelling reasons to get musical around your toddler. (SPONSORED)

 

Free ticket offer

Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores

3-5 March 2017, Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre. Get your FREE ticket now. Save $20.

 
Advertisement
 
 
Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.