Painting a laminate kitchen
Any experience/ideas?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 julia*v

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

Hi All

I have a kitchen that I really hate the colour of. But... it does the job and is in good condition. Spending a lot of money on a full reno isn't possible at the moment. However, spending some money painting the cabinets, putting in a new tile splash back (I have a family member who is awesome at tiling!) and updating the handles is on the cards.

I have been trying to research some laminate painting - and while I have now found out how to paint it, I haven't seen many reviews on how easy/hard it was and what the wear and tear was like?

I have called a company who spray laminate for a quote, but need to wait a few weeks until their painter is back from leave. I have no idea how much it would cost to have someone to come in a do it.

Does anyone have any experience with either DIY or having a company come in and paint their laminate?

Would love to hear any stories!

#2 mummacat

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

While I do not have any experience with a kitchen, I did use laminate paint on a wardrobe.

We used the white king laminate primer and then the white king laminate paint as the top coat.

It was a little hit and miss quality wise and you had to be very careful not to get runs in the paint. We took the doors off which did make it a little easier and used one of the mini rollers so we didn't get brush strokes.

The paint is very soft IMO, for example there is a mark on one door which was hit once from the roller blind handle (plastic end bit). I do not think I would want to use it in my kitchen, as the bashing my 2 give our kitchen would mark it.

There is another white king product called bench top clear that may be worthwhile looking into as this may make the paint more hard wearing.

#3 MrsLexiK

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

My dad is a painter and cringes when he is hired to do this. The finished product never looks fantastic. Depending on the shape of your bench you maybe able to just buy new laminate to cover the benchtop. My IL's who renovate their own properties and also other people's do this often - and it looks much better then any painting does. If you do still do it def go with the rollers.

#4 FiveAus

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

Once you've got a quote for spraying the laminate, get another quote for replacing just the bench tops. If you approach a couple of small cabinet workshops, you might be very surprised by how reasonably priced it is.

#5 Tobias'smum

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

make sure you clean/ prime really well before you paint make arrangements not to use your kitchen while you are doing it . remove doors etc dont try to do it with them attached.

Make sure you are not doing when too hot or too cold. Bunnings has a good guide for doing it.

Dont paint too thick - we learnt all this from my sil doing her kitchen - we will be doing ours soon - our laminate or rose pink every where   sick.gif

#6 unicorn

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

You can buy new laminate to cover the doors with, we bought a cheap but functional kitchen and the only downside was the aqua blue doors, very swish, the laminate comes off quite easy and you cut sheets to fit and just glue them on. I would be doing this rather than trying to paint what is there.

#7 Pearson

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

We are looking at covering our doors with vj particle board for a country look. We will then paint this.
This is what we are looking at. We will then replace the bench tops.  This is still cheaper than a whole new kitchen.  Laminate paint DIY is not recommended for bench tops. You could look at attaching thin Mdf to the front of the doors and painting that, replace the benchtops.

My kitchen currently Is dark timber look laminate with Dark brown tiles, dark brown marbled patterned benchtops. We will paint white with lighter benchtops, and hopefully new floors (probably Lino for the time being) and then a large size tile backsplash. It will do for 5 years till we can afford to rip out and replace and dd is older and we can put down floating floors....

#8 Corella

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

You can buy products to make the paint stick to the laminate - either something like Pentrol or ESP, or a specific tile and laminate paint system. It's easy and fun and cheaper.

But could you just replace the doors and leave the carcasses as they are?

#9 julia*v

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Thank you for all the replies and suggestions!

I will research some of the suggestions and see what I come up with.

I have considered just replacing the doors... but then I also have the wall oven and the bottom stick under the doors... so not sure if that would work.

I could take the laminate off and iron on new laminate (maybe?) but I was hoping to add some trimming to the doors and the back of the island bench to add some interest and get away from the 'builders standard' look.

It's not that old, so apart from the cost of removing and replacing, I feel wasteful as well, given that the kitchen is in perfect condition (and due to the layout of the house, it wouldn't be possible to change the design of the kitchen - so it would be exactly the same, just a different colour).

Why, oh why do people who build put in colour kitchens, bathrooms and tiles? Save the techni-colours for the walls and cushions people! hehe

#10 lucy-lu

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:06 AM

There is product out T buntings, can't ink of the name now that you apply over the top and allows you a finish similar to stone.

Basically you put some think stuff on it, like a thick paste consistence, then you add you stone decorations, which you sprinkle on and then you seal it all.

#11 sohandy

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:38 AM

I have used the White Knight tile paint, which u need to use with a special primer & the results are ok but IMHO never going to approach the finish u get with spray. Have u considered getting a spray gun from Bunnings?

#12 mpjp

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

Also done the White Knight on our fluro blue laminate at a holiday house (so less use than a residential - but it gets rented and so the care taken is generally less as well). I have it a go as I thought nothing could be worse than the fluro blue!! I used the Young House Love blog as inspiration!!

We used the cleaner, primer and laminate paint. It actually looks OK I think - I used a foam roller - and as a pp said - make sure you go slow and don't overload the roller - the drips and runs are REALLY hard to deal with. I also used a bit of foam on a stick (from craft shop) to do all the strips and surrounds. I think the PP's suggestion of a spray gun would really be worth considering.

Also you need to make sure everything is immaculately clean - there were a couple of spots that must have still had some grease on them and those bits did chip off. But the rest is pretty hard.

i think its OK if you are happy to know that you are only going to have an ok looking product for a few years. I'll be replacing the kitchen within 5 so am happy with this.

I didn't do the benchtops as I decided that was too risky in a holiday let - people would cut on the bench using knives and I can see it damaging. I'll replace the benchtops at some point instead with a different laminate.

GOOD LUCK!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.