Holidays = late nights for 6 yr olds
Am I the only one who disagrees??

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 FiFiLicious

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

DD is six and is just superb all.the.time. ( for the most part). She seems to have endless energy and would party all night if required and I would be pressed to read her tired signs.  This means taking her out and about is easy, she's no trouble and often engages with the adults ( but prefers to be with the kids)

However, every child needs sleep right? The odd occasion here and there isn't a problem but arguing that every other night in the hols is acceptable because - it's the holidays!! For 5 weeks?  

She sleeps well from 730 - 530/6.  A late night DOES NOT mean late sleep in, EVER!!

Am I the only one who says no to late nights to every,  or, every other night of the holidays??

#2 Mamabug

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

We have bumped bedtime out to 7.30pm for the holidays for out three older ones (7, 6 and 4).

This will be reigned back in to 7pm the week before school starts.

That said, we had the rare event of friends over for dinner tonight, so the kids were up until 9pm...and crashed the moment their heads hit the pillow.

With a 16mo, there will be no sleep in for anyone in the morning!

#3 reachforthestars

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

Not the only one. Children's bedtime generally stays the same here, holidays or no.

#4 cinnabubble

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

My six year old wakes at stupid o'clock every morning. There's no way I want her staying up late. She doesn't sleep enough as it is.

Edited by cinnabubble, 02 January 2013 - 09:07 PM.

#5 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

DD is staying up later now that she is on holidays, but she does sleep in later too, so it's not like she's losing much sleep.

#6 LambChop

Holidays are for resting as well, I have mine going to bed at normal time for the most part.

#7 Oriental lily

My eldest dd who is on school holidays bed time never changes.
The only time it changes is if we are out ( rarely) or we have friends with kids (also rarely)

My kids don't know the meaning of 'sleeping in' so they don't catch up in the morning if they stayed up later at night.

Kids need their sleep for their growth and and to not be grizzle guts and drive me batty by their lack of sleep.

I also need the break from them at night.

#8 ChunkyChook

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

DD has been in bed about 7.30 but watching movies til 10 or 11  ph34r.gif

#9 censura carnero

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

Our bedtime is possibly earlier in the holidays on many nights because the kids are so flogged from swimming and running around like lunatics.  My kids don't sleep in either.  Always been jealous how some families can put kids to bed late and have a sleep in.  So not us.  But a late bed time would be no more than an hour over usual bed time and that happens rarely.

#10 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

Ds is 6 he's been up later than usual between christmas and New Years Eve, however now that is all over I plan to bring it back to a more normal time. He does sleep in in the mornings though so it's not a huge issue as he still gets a decent sleep.

He goes to bed at 8 pm on a normal school night, it's been anywhere from 9 - 12 pm over xmas/NYE.  
Aiming to bring it back to 8.30-9pm for the next week or so then back to 8 pm the last week of the school holidays.

#11 Propaganda

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

My child gets a later bed-time, but only by one hour. 8.30pm instead of 7.30pm.

#12 ekbaby

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

It's 10pm and my 4yr old and 1yr old are only just going to sleep now, so yes, holidays usually mean late nights every night here. They don't seem affected by it, they sleep in till 8 most mornings. If i could see they were getting negatively affected and cranky I'd make more of an effort to reign it in but it's easier to just go with the flow on holidays.

#13 amaza

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

Later nights here original.gif On a school night I am so rushed getting them and myself home from school/work and having 1 hour to cook dinner, do homework, baths and do stories that I feel like I'm spending the whole time getting grumpy at them and am only a 'normal' parent for the hour or so in the mornings that we have to relax before school.

In the holidays I get home from work and talk to them about their day, hang out with them, let them play and then cook dinner, bathe them etc. It usually makes bedtime 1.5 hours later.

DS1 was shocking at the end of the school year with whinging and crying at the drop of a hat. Even though he has had later nights he has had less 'thinking' time during the day and is much more relaxed and happy. He's certainly had his batteries recharged and is less tired than he is when getting towards the end of a school term.

#14 EBeditor

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

We had a few late nights and the kids (3 & 5) were getting pretty cranky, so I am getting them back in to normal routine of 7.30 bedtime.

My daughter might sleep in if not woken by the 5 year old who never sleeps in.

#15 Alina0210

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

My kids have had later bed times during holidays and weekends if we r doing things, they have gone to bed midnight before when we have had a party but then they do sleep in so that's a plus...

#16 HubbaBubbaMumma

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

My kids have later bedtimes during the holidays. DD15 and DS10 are watching a DVD in the lounge on the fold out bed now and they'll crash there tonight!

DS13 and DS12 are away on the scout jamboree so who knows what time they'll be in bed......they're going to be ratty as anything when they get home!

I generally let the reins loosen - we spend too much time running to a schedule during the year so it's nice to just relax a bit now!

#17 JustBeige

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE (FiFiLicious @ 02/01/2013, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DD is six and is just superb all.the.time. ( for the most part). She seems to have endless energy and would party all night if required and I would be pressed to read her tired signs.  This means taking her out and about is easy, she's no trouble and often engages with the adults ( but prefers to be with the kids)

However, every child needs sleep right? The odd occasion here and there isn't a problem but arguing that every other night in the hols is acceptable because - it's the holidays!! For 5 weeks?  

She sleeps well from 730 - 530/6.  A late night DOES NOT mean late sleep in, EVER!!

Am I the only one who says no to late nights to every,  or, every other night of the holidays??

No I was the same at this age.

My two could have been up till 2am and still not slept past 6.  Drove us nuts.

Now they are 12 and 11 and we are having to wake them (after 8:30) every morning. yippee.  - though I may not be saying that in a few weeks when they go back to school.

We do let them stay up now till 9:30 - 10.  But that is it.  They will need to get their body clocks back into school hours and we will be doing that the week before school starts back.

#18 Heffalump

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

I allow DD (7) to stay up until about 9.15pm on the holidays, then bed with lights out at 10.00pm.  I know she sneaks the light back on to read a bit more though and I pretend not to notice until about 10.30pm.  Always up and full of beans by 7.30 to 8.00am no matter what time she goes to bed.

School night bedtime has been 7.30pm with lights out at 8.00pm, but I am going to phase her into a new school night bedtime of 8.00pm with lights out at 8.30pm for the new school year as she's been finding it increasingly difficult to get to sleep before 8.30pm.

#19 **Tiger*Feral**

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

----

Edited by Tyrone Finkelmeyer, 26 March 2013 - 08:26 PM.

#20 kel378

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

Yes  pretty relaxed bedtime here being school holidays unless it's been a busy day and kids are showing really tired whingy behavior. So holiday bedtime for DS8 and Dd6 around 8:30pm-9:30pm but they do sleep in later till about 7:30-8:30am. Normal bedtime is 8-8:30pm wake up 7-7:30am

#21 scardycat

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

We relax bedtime over the holidays too. It's nice to be able to spend some quality time after work. Plus dd always sleeps in after a late night. And yep, she stayed up til midnight nye

#22 FiFiLicious

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

Yes, if I could guarantee my kiddo would sleep in, I wouldn't be too concerned as it is, DD naturally wakes at 620 (?)! But since the baby, they both wake for the day at 530, no amount of late  night partying will fix that for either of them apparently!  I do envy a child who will sleep past 7 am. DD has done it a couple of times and each time ibpve gone in to check she's alive !:)

#23 cinnabubble

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

Seven am? Bloodeh luxureh. If the time doesn't start with five, I consider it a good morning. I'd be relaxed about bed times if there was a chance of a sleep in.

#24 the wudges

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

We relax bed time in the holidays a little while we are on leave too, but as soon as we go back to work, it stops. We need to drop them at Grandma's etc. before getting to work on time, so they can't sleep in to make up for any late nights.  I am also wary of them being grumpy and sleep deprived for people doing us a favour and looking after them.

Edited by the wudges, 02 January 2013 - 10:07 PM.

#25 angelinaballerina

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

DS who is also 6 still goes to bed at his usual bed time of between 6pm and 6:30pm.

Occasionally we let him stay up later than usual if we are having visitors or we are out.

However - over christmas he stayed up until 8:30/9pm 3 nights in a row and it took its toll on him. We had several meltdowns over the following days which is totally out of character for him. So, it is back to only one or two late nights a week from now on.

Oh, and a late night doesn't mean a sleep in here either. He will still wake around 6am.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Funny Father's Day cards

A little fun never goes astray when celebrating special occasions and Father's Day is no different. We've rounded up some funny Father's day cards for your husbands, fathers and other important men in your lives.

Electronic tags may keep newborns safe

The possibility of using electronic bracelets for mothers and their newborn babies is being investigated by Adelaide's Women's and Children's Hospital. 

Baby steps: when your little one starts walking

As a parent there are so many milestones to look forward to. That first smile, first word - and, of course, that first step.

Julia Watson's new book 'Breakfast, School Run, Chemo'

Tomorrow my friend Julia launches her first book. And while we're all overjoyed, the success is tinged with sadness. You see, Julia has stage 4 bowel cancer.

How not to name twins

Call me boring, but I don't think that when it comes to choosing my twins' names is the right time to use a good pun.

Fun Sunny Life pool inflatables just for babies

The babies of 2015 will thus be thrilled to paddle their happy baby legs in these brand new flamingo and swan baby inflatables.

Baby and bulldog born on the same day are best friends

When Chicago mum Ivette Ivens saw a French bulldog puppy who had the same birthdate as her son Dilan, she "just knew it?s meant to be" and took him home. Five months later, puppy Farley and Dilan are the best of friends - as Ivens says, "I?m pretty sure Dilan thinks they?re both the same species, as they walk at the same level and are both going through the stage of chewing on everything.?

Breastfeeding basics for beginners

Here are 10 tips to help make breastfeeding successful and stress free for both you and your baby as quickly as possible.

Girl smothers baby brother with peanut butter

This mum had a big clean up job on her hands.

How to hide those under eye shadows

Pandas are the only ones who benefit from under-eye shadows. If you're not fluffy and cute, you'll just look tired.

Young mum dies after being denied pap smear

A mother has died after she was denied a pap smear because she was deemed "too young" to need it.

Birthday cakes banned at childcare centre

A childcare centre in Sydney has banned birthday cakes after parent complaints about excessive sugar and children with allergies being left out.

Triplet surprise for newlyweds

As the radiographer moved the wand over her abdomen, Shelley King got the surprise of her life.

3 yummy Thermomix baby and toddler recipes

Louise Fulton Keats shares her recipes for babies and toddlers, including corn and sweet pikelets, pumpkin and pea risotto, and cheesy bunny biscuits.

Man arrested over toddler Nikki's death

A 31-year-old man has been arrested over the death of two-year-old Nikki Francis-Coslovich in Mildura.

Adoption ban on pregnant women to be lifted

Pregnant women will no longer be barred from adoption waiting lists in NSW, after the Baird Government decided the practice was discriminatory.

Are you getting enough magnesium?

Magnesium is the fourth most abundant mineral in the body, but we don't talk enough about it and the vital role it plays in great health and energy, as well as disease prevention.

5 workplace lessons for new parents

Take heart in these principles that will transfer seamlessly from the workplace into your new life as a parent.

Mums to follow on Instagram

A creative outlet for many, there are some savvy women complementing their blogs and businesses with riveting Instagrams feeds. We've chosen a few which have bucketloads of appeal; there are some big time players and some smaller local ones, and they each bring their special brand of magic to the Instagram experience.

Review: The Volvo 2015 XC90 SUV has all the safety features your family needs

The new Volvo XC90 SUV's focus on keeping you safe does not come at the expense of comfort in the XC90.

Kim Kardashian reveals she may have hysterectomy

Kim Kardashian has revealed complications during pregnancy means she might have to have a hysterectomy after the birth of her second child.

Why late night snacks wreak havoc on weight loss

Loath as you may be to admit it, chances are that at some point you have found yourself in the kitchen late at night, devouring food.

Toddler twins pretend to be asleep to fool mum

They say twins have a unique connection. If this cute clip is anything to go by, these toddler sisters like to use their special bond to try to fool their mother.

Dad bags: 10 picks for out and about

Getting out of the house is a big priority in the early years of parenthood and you need to take a well-stocked kit with you. We've chosen 10 of the best nappy bags sure to appeal to dads in style and function.

Win a Mountain Buggy Swift

To celebrate Essential Baby reaching half a million Facebook fans, we have a Mountain Buggy Swift to giveaway to a lucky fan.

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Dads who do their share have more sex: study

For women trying to encourage their partners to take more interest in fatherhood, it could be the ultimate incentive.

Think you might have IBS, coeliac disease or Crohn's?

Conditions affecting the gastrointestinal tract are common in modern humans, and many are on the rise - including irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and coeliac disease.

Couple poses for newborn shoot with adorable puppy

Tired of being asked about their baby-making plans, Australian couple Matt and Abby decided to give a creative answer.

The exercises you know you should be doing (but probably aren't)

I bet your to-do list today is long. But somewhere on that massive list, are you making time for your pelvic floor?

This baby really loves the family cat

Some babies get excited when mum or dad come to get them from their cot after a nap.

Designer kids clothing good enough to eat by Oeuf

Even if you aren't heading to the Northern hemisphere in the next six months, you can't help but love the amazing food-themed knits for babies and kids by cult kids brand Oeuf.

Early exposure to peanuts recommended for allergy prevention

A paediatricians' group is recommending that infants at high risk of peanut allergies be given foods containing peanuts before they turn one.

Home brand foods contain less salt than pricier rivals

Supermarket home brand foods, long derided as cheap and inferior, contain far lower levels of salt than pricier, branded rivals, new research shows.

Nannies for hire, wherever you're flying

Ever dreaded the prospect of a long flight, dreaming about how wonderful it would be for a nanny to entertain the kids?

Couple poses for newborn shoot with adorable puppy

Tired of being asked about their baby-making plans, Australian couple Matt and Abby decided to give a creative answer: with an unusual photo shoot with their 'baby', a groodle (poodle/golden retriever cross) named Humphrey. The talented Elisha from Elisha Minnette Photography caught all the precious shots.

Is it okay to name your baby with a sense of humour?

My husband was sure that Danger was a good option for a boy. And as the pregnancy progressed, it actually started to sound really good.

Woman gives birth after having her own mother's uterus transplanted

In a world first, a healthy baby has been born from the same womb that nurtured his own mother.

So hot right now: double-barrelled baby names on the rise

It's one way to make your baby stand out from the pack – giving them not one, but two first names.

Second time around: is it really better the devil you know?

When I fell pregnant with my second child I was, naturally, very excited. Then it all started to come back to me - and I freaked.

Shopping with kids: breaking the pester-power cycle

You're out shopping with your little one and they're incessantly whining that they want a treat. It's easy to say no ... the first time, at least.

How did we have babies before apps came along?

Three months ago, my wife, Chrysta, and I were driving along Melrose Avenue in Los Angeles when she let out a harrowing cry.

When your toddler disagrees

There comes a time when your child starts having different views to you. I didn't realise that time would come so soon.

Win a Pacapod this Father's Day

To celebrate dads and families, we are giving away a Picos Pack from Pacapod Australia filled with a few extra goodies ENTER NOW

FREE TICKET

Discover the magic of the LEGOŽ DUPLOŽ Play Area in Sydney

Get your free ticket to The Essential Baby & Toddler Show and save $20 - register online now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.