Reasonable or being precious?

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 Faradaye

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

My DH and I used to host a weekly family dinner.

Attendees were DH and I, our two girls, my mum (who would travel up once a week from 1.5 hours away) and my brother and his wife (who live locally).

Some of the time my SIL was doing a special program at the gym and so was following a special diet.  When she was on the program she would bring her own meal, a microwave bag of vegetables and a tin of tuna.

My DH does most of the cooking and as this was a weekly casual family dinner it wasn't like he was cooking a three course gourmet meal each week.  Regular meals included stuff like lasagna or spaghetti bolognaise or a curry.  Things our kids like and as my mum was undergoing chemo DH used to send leftovers home with her.

My brother and his wife stopped coming to the meals and I found out it was because he completely cracked it with us for not serving more healthy meals.  He never mentioned it, or offered to bring a salad or anything (he used to bring a bottle of wine each week but no other contribution).

He felt our meals were excluding his wife and we weren't making enough effort to cater for her.

He has now stated he wants a commitment from DH and I that if we invite him to our house for a meal we must provide either vegetables or a salad, suitably healthy, as part of the meal, or he will again be dreadfully offended by our selfishness.

I personally feel if you are a guest at someone's house you eat what you are given without complaining as the menu is secondary to actually spending time with friends / family.

My brother's quote about it was 'there has to be more effort made than you just get what you get.'

Is my brother being precious?  Or am I being selfish and unreasonable in thinking my standard family meals should be fine?

#2 cinnabubble

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

I think he's being ridiculous. He can host dinner if he feels that strongly about it.

#3 JRA

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

I think there is a bit of both. I would find it odd to have every meal without vegies or a salad. So yes, I think it is odd what you were feeding every week,=.

On the other side, I suppose why didn't the others suggest - can we bring a salad, or something like that.

#4 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

I think your brother is being extremely rude! If they aren't interested in eating what you cook and spending time with your family, they can bugger off and eat at home mad.gif

#5 Still-here!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

Rude!

I don't think I'd want to be the one to cook each week, why not take turns?

#6 mocha444

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

Ask them to bring along a salad each week instead of wine.

#7 Mamabug

I think you are both being a bit stubborn.

You knew your SIL was eating healthy, yet couldn't even throw together a salad or serve of veg for her? Sure, it is her lifestyle choice, but you are family, you take that into consideration.

He however is a pillock for being offended, but also being too much of a git to speak up about it.

#8 Mamacass2

He is being unreasonable. Whenever I have been on a strict diet or lite n easy or whatever I have either taken my own to people's houses or eaten what I am given. You are being generous providing the food they have no right to complain.

#9 kiwi-girl

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

It really annoys me when  people throw a tantrum when they could have raised an issue in a reasonable manner. Why not make future dinners pot luck so everyone contributes or take turns to host? It sounds like you have been really generous with a weekly family dinner.

#10 Feral Nicety

I think he could have brought something healthier than a bottle of wine.  Like a huge salad or a huge vege dish that his wife could eat.

#11 kadoodle

QUOTE (cinnabubble @ 02/01/2013, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think he's being ridiculous. He can host dinner if he feels that strongly about it.

This.

What's so unhealthy about what you were cooking?  Spag bol and lasagne are meat, veg and pasta with some cheese on top.  What's wrong with that?  

Salad and a tin of tuna is unsustainable IME.  Your SIL needs to pull her head out her a*se.

#12 mum201

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

Your brother is being rude. When you go to someone's house you eat what is served, don't go or byo if family and they understand your strict regime. But on the other hand surely you would make some sort of veggies to go with dinner?

#13 Mootmoot

I'd have a problem with people coming to my house and making demands - and giving me an ultimatum about it.

However, a couple of years ago I did a weightloss program and really appreciated my friends and family who helped me out with it.

Perhaps you could compromise that every second week they could bring a salad or bowl of steamed veg for everyone?  And you could look at making sure your meals are fairly healthy and low-fat - that would benefit everyone.

#14 credence

It wouldn't kill you to do some veggies or a nice salad.

YES - he's being a bit of a brat, but looking at the big picture, it would just be easier to say, "OK brother, I didn't realise I was being rude, of course I'll include a healthy option."

#15 casime

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

I generally say eat what you get, but if I regularly had someone coming who was on a very stright diet, then I'd probably make an effort to provide a salad or somethingbthey (and everyone else) can eat, just like I would with allergies, or even food prefernces.  Even if I were serving lasagne or spaghetti, it's not hard to throw a salad on the table, even if it's a prepackaged woolies version.

Have you asked him and sil to provide a salad for the table each week? That would seem like the most logical solution.

#16 laridae

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

So you guys were footing the bill for the dinners every week & doing the cooking?  And he's complaining about what you serve?

Well, easy answer is, everyone (who can), provides a dish to share, that will split the costs, and everyone has something they like to eat.  Otherwise, alternate who hosts.
Sounds like its their turn for quite a few weeks...

#17 Ange

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

I think tone and the right choice of words could have made this situation a hell of a lot better.

I can understand where the brother is coming from, I get that he wants to have the opportunity to eat a salad/vegies with his meal but he could have gone about it in a polite way.

He could bring a salad to share as you stated.

I know if I was trying to stay off carbs and every week was served lasagne, spaghetti and other carb heavy meals I would prob offer to bring something too.

For the sake of the family, I wouldn't cause a rift between you and your brother over a salad.

Yes he is being a little rude, but if it were me, I'd keep the peace and try to accomodate and make a salad original.gif

#18 i-candi

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

Just tell him that one week will be at his house where he can serve all the vegetables and salad he wants and one week at your house where you can serve what you want.

Although every week without a vegetable or salad??? I find that unusual and my kids would love it if I didn't serve it but I do and they eat it.

#19 Funwith3

A bit of both....he could have offered to bring a salad if it was going to be a deal breaker to the weekly dinners.

However, I think you need to make allowances for your guests if you really want them to come (and I assume you want them to enjoy their meal). If you know they're trying to be very healthy, and if you know they specifically want veggies or salad with their meal, is it that hard for you to accommodate their wishes?

Don't make a big deal of it. Just put together a salad.

#20 Faradaye

QUOTE (JRA @ 02/01/2013, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think there is a bit of both. I would find it odd to have every meal without vegies or a salad. So yes, I think it is odd what you were feeding every week,=.

On the other side, I suppose why didn't the others suggest - can we bring a salad, or something like that.

Fair point but perhaps I wasn't clear.  We eat plenty of vegetables.  Bolognaise will have grated carrot and zucchini in it, our curries are full of vegies, and sometimes we absolutely served the old meat and three veg meals.

I guess for my DH cooking for a larger group he found it easier to make a big pot of something so it did tend to be that sort of thing.

#21 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (JRA @ 02/01/2013, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, this..

I've been doing a low-carb thing for a while, and have lost a fair bit of weight, so I'm motivated and trying to stick to it.  A good friend has lost a lot with weight watchers.  When she comes over, I always put together a plate of veges,dips etc that she and I both like.  And the kids love it too.  When I go there, she will accommodate me to.

We both find we are able feed our families together, and have choices for both of us.  

If your standard family means no regular vegetables/salads etc, then you are doing them a disservice, not to mention your brother/sil.  

But they need to chill out a bit too, an offer to bring something to share/contribute.

Really not worth a family war, though.

#22 Mootmoot

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (kadoodle @ 02/01/2013, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This.

What's so unhealthy about what you were cooking?  Spag bol and lasagne are meat, veg and pasta with some cheese on top.  What's wrong with that?  

Salad and a tin of tuna is unsustainable IME.  Your SIL needs to pull her head out her a*se.

Depends how you make it, really.  We now make a pretty healty lasagne with loads of vegies and low-fat mince and low-fat ricotta instead of white sauce and very little cheese, and have it with a green salad.  But we used to make one chock full of meat and cheese and white sauce and have it with garlic bread.  There's a reason I used to be over 30kg heavier!  It doesn't hurt anyone to have healthier options available.

#23 FeralLIfeHacker

Edited by lifehacker, 13 January 2013 - 11:34 AM.

#24 AnnBB

Your brother carrying on and making demands is rude. I have no  problems with him wanting more healthy options though and I have no problems if he were to raise it politely with you. Shame he didn't do this though and instead made a 'thing' out of it.
Why don't you try to mix up the dinners a little bit and let them know in advance what you are having and they can bring a suitable side dish to share?

#25 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

Your brother is being a gronk.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Why I don't breastfeed

The truth was, when it came to feeding my baby son, I didn't want to see milk coming from anywhere but the shops.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.