Reasonable or being precious?

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 Faradaye

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

My DH and I used to host a weekly family dinner.

Attendees were DH and I, our two girls, my mum (who would travel up once a week from 1.5 hours away) and my brother and his wife (who live locally).

Some of the time my SIL was doing a special program at the gym and so was following a special diet.  When she was on the program she would bring her own meal, a microwave bag of vegetables and a tin of tuna.

My DH does most of the cooking and as this was a weekly casual family dinner it wasn't like he was cooking a three course gourmet meal each week.  Regular meals included stuff like lasagna or spaghetti bolognaise or a curry.  Things our kids like and as my mum was undergoing chemo DH used to send leftovers home with her.

My brother and his wife stopped coming to the meals and I found out it was because he completely cracked it with us for not serving more healthy meals.  He never mentioned it, or offered to bring a salad or anything (he used to bring a bottle of wine each week but no other contribution).

He felt our meals were excluding his wife and we weren't making enough effort to cater for her.

He has now stated he wants a commitment from DH and I that if we invite him to our house for a meal we must provide either vegetables or a salad, suitably healthy, as part of the meal, or he will again be dreadfully offended by our selfishness.

I personally feel if you are a guest at someone's house you eat what you are given without complaining as the menu is secondary to actually spending time with friends / family.

My brother's quote about it was 'there has to be more effort made than you just get what you get.'

Is my brother being precious?  Or am I being selfish and unreasonable in thinking my standard family meals should be fine?

#2 cinnabubble

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

I think he's being ridiculous. He can host dinner if he feels that strongly about it.

#3 JRA

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

I think there is a bit of both. I would find it odd to have every meal without vegies or a salad. So yes, I think it is odd what you were feeding every week,=.

On the other side, I suppose why didn't the others suggest - can we bring a salad, or something like that.

#4 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

I think your brother is being extremely rude! If they aren't interested in eating what you cook and spending time with your family, they can bugger off and eat at home mad.gif

#5 Still-here!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

Rude!

I don't think I'd want to be the one to cook each week, why not take turns?

#6 mocha444

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

Ask them to bring along a salad each week instead of wine.

#7 Mamabug

I think you are both being a bit stubborn.

You knew your SIL was eating healthy, yet couldn't even throw together a salad or serve of veg for her? Sure, it is her lifestyle choice, but you are family, you take that into consideration.

He however is a pillock for being offended, but also being too much of a git to speak up about it.

#8 Mamacass2

He is being unreasonable. Whenever I have been on a strict diet or lite n easy or whatever I have either taken my own to people's houses or eaten what I am given. You are being generous providing the food they have no right to complain.

#9 kiwi-girl

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

It really annoys me when  people throw a tantrum when they could have raised an issue in a reasonable manner. Why not make future dinners pot luck so everyone contributes or take turns to host? It sounds like you have been really generous with a weekly family dinner.

#10 Acidulous Osprey

I think he could have brought something healthier than a bottle of wine.  Like a huge salad or a huge vege dish that his wife could eat.

#11 kadoodle

QUOTE (cinnabubble @ 02/01/2013, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think he's being ridiculous. He can host dinner if he feels that strongly about it.

This.

What's so unhealthy about what you were cooking?  Spag bol and lasagne are meat, veg and pasta with some cheese on top.  What's wrong with that?  

Salad and a tin of tuna is unsustainable IME.  Your SIL needs to pull her head out her a*se.

#12 mum201

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

Your brother is being rude. When you go to someone's house you eat what is served, don't go or byo if family and they understand your strict regime. But on the other hand surely you would make some sort of veggies to go with dinner?

#13 Mootmoot

I'd have a problem with people coming to my house and making demands - and giving me an ultimatum about it.

However, a couple of years ago I did a weightloss program and really appreciated my friends and family who helped me out with it.

Perhaps you could compromise that every second week they could bring a salad or bowl of steamed veg for everyone?  And you could look at making sure your meals are fairly healthy and low-fat - that would benefit everyone.

#14 credence

It wouldn't kill you to do some veggies or a nice salad.

YES - he's being a bit of a brat, but looking at the big picture, it would just be easier to say, "OK brother, I didn't realise I was being rude, of course I'll include a healthy option."

#15 casime

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

I generally say eat what you get, but if I regularly had someone coming who was on a very stright diet, then I'd probably make an effort to provide a salad or somethingbthey (and everyone else) can eat, just like I would with allergies, or even food prefernces.  Even if I were serving lasagne or spaghetti, it's not hard to throw a salad on the table, even if it's a prepackaged woolies version.

Have you asked him and sil to provide a salad for the table each week? That would seem like the most logical solution.

#16 laridae

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

So you guys were footing the bill for the dinners every week & doing the cooking?  And he's complaining about what you serve?

Well, easy answer is, everyone (who can), provides a dish to share, that will split the costs, and everyone has something they like to eat.  Otherwise, alternate who hosts.
Sounds like its their turn for quite a few weeks...

#17 Ange

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

I think tone and the right choice of words could have made this situation a hell of a lot better.

I can understand where the brother is coming from, I get that he wants to have the opportunity to eat a salad/vegies with his meal but he could have gone about it in a polite way.

He could bring a salad to share as you stated.

I know if I was trying to stay off carbs and every week was served lasagne, spaghetti and other carb heavy meals I would prob offer to bring something too.

For the sake of the family, I wouldn't cause a rift between you and your brother over a salad.

Yes he is being a little rude, but if it were me, I'd keep the peace and try to accomodate and make a salad original.gif

#18 i-candi

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

Just tell him that one week will be at his house where he can serve all the vegetables and salad he wants and one week at your house where you can serve what you want.

Although every week without a vegetable or salad??? I find that unusual and my kids would love it if I didn't serve it but I do and they eat it.

#19 Funwith3

A bit of both....he could have offered to bring a salad if it was going to be a deal breaker to the weekly dinners.

However, I think you need to make allowances for your guests if you really want them to come (and I assume you want them to enjoy their meal). If you know they're trying to be very healthy, and if you know they specifically want veggies or salad with their meal, is it that hard for you to accommodate their wishes?

Don't make a big deal of it. Just put together a salad.

#20 Faradaye

QUOTE (JRA @ 02/01/2013, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think there is a bit of both. I would find it odd to have every meal without vegies or a salad. So yes, I think it is odd what you were feeding every week,=.

On the other side, I suppose why didn't the others suggest - can we bring a salad, or something like that.

Fair point but perhaps I wasn't clear.  We eat plenty of vegetables.  Bolognaise will have grated carrot and zucchini in it, our curries are full of vegies, and sometimes we absolutely served the old meat and three veg meals.

I guess for my DH cooking for a larger group he found it easier to make a big pot of something so it did tend to be that sort of thing.

#21 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (JRA @ 02/01/2013, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, this..

I've been doing a low-carb thing for a while, and have lost a fair bit of weight, so I'm motivated and trying to stick to it.  A good friend has lost a lot with weight watchers.  When she comes over, I always put together a plate of veges,dips etc that she and I both like.  And the kids love it too.  When I go there, she will accommodate me to.

We both find we are able feed our families together, and have choices for both of us.  

If your standard family means no regular vegetables/salads etc, then you are doing them a disservice, not to mention your brother/sil.  

But they need to chill out a bit too, an offer to bring something to share/contribute.

Really not worth a family war, though.

#22 Mootmoot

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (kadoodle @ 02/01/2013, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This.

What's so unhealthy about what you were cooking?  Spag bol and lasagne are meat, veg and pasta with some cheese on top.  What's wrong with that?  

Salad and a tin of tuna is unsustainable IME.  Your SIL needs to pull her head out her a*se.

Depends how you make it, really.  We now make a pretty healty lasagne with loads of vegies and low-fat mince and low-fat ricotta instead of white sauce and very little cheese, and have it with a green salad.  But we used to make one chock full of meat and cheese and white sauce and have it with garlic bread.  There's a reason I used to be over 30kg heavier!  It doesn't hurt anyone to have healthier options available.

#23 FeralLIfeHacker

Edited by lifehacker, 13 January 2013 - 11:34 AM.

#24 AnnBB

Your brother carrying on and making demands is rude. I have no  problems with him wanting more healthy options though and I have no problems if he were to raise it politely with you. Shame he didn't do this though and instead made a 'thing' out of it.
Why don't you try to mix up the dinners a little bit and let them know in advance what you are having and they can bring a suitable side dish to share?

#25 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

Your brother is being a gronk.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Mums reveal their nappy bag essentials

Ever wondered what other mums carry in their nappy bags? We have, so we asked mums to tell us their must-have nappy bag items.

Toddler died because he wasn't given antibiotics soon enough

A 15-month-old boy would almost certainly be alive today if doctors had given him antibiotics sooner, a coroner has ruled.

VIDEO: moment a toddler falls on to train tracks in Melbourne

Shocking footage has emerged capturing the moment a pram carrying a toddler rolled off a platform and onto train tracks in suburban Melbourne.

Sold on natural birth? Read the fine print

In the excitement and anticipation of a first pregnancy, I ignored the fine print: some women, some of the time.

Child with alcoholic mum who drank while pregnant won't win pay-out

A young child is not entitled to criminal injuries compensation after her mother drank excessively while pregnant.

Superbugs killing India's babies, posing wider threat

A deadly epidemic that could have global implications is quietly sweeping India, tens of thousands of newborns dying because antibiotics no longer work.

Can you teach a toddler to sleep in?

Parents share their tips on getting their early risers to sleep in, even for just a little bit longer.

Keeping your relationship on track as new parents

About 70 per cent of couples experience a slump in their relationship within three years of having a baby. Here's how we tried to get back on track.

America's favourite baby names of 2014

Americans are turning to television, Netflix and sports for ideas for what to name their wee ones.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.