educate me about minecraft

43 replies to this topic

#26 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

DS plays it on-line with a group of his mates. I keep forgetting they can hear me when I go into his room to get him for dinner and a voice from the screen asks "What's for dinner Mrs OGM?"

#27 2_little_boys

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

DS' 6yo and 10yo play it on the laptops and on ipod.

I have noticed 6yo's spelling has improved with playing it which is a little bonus.

I agree that they do get a bit obsessed and it can be a problem to get them off ("I just have to.......") but mine only play "linked" to each other.  Although I do get sick of the whinging "mum he destroyed my......" "dont put that there", etc.

lol

#28 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:08 PM

View Postunicycle, on 14 January 2013 - 02:22 PM, said:

I would love a detailed mum explanation of buying the game( we found a wrong site pretending to be it) and how to set up anLAN , whatever that is, so he can play with friends overseas.

THis too, please!!! I've tried googling, but need a dumbed down version!!!

#29 starraffy

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:49 PM

View PostR, on 02 January 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

Minecraft is a 3D 1st player perspective game that requires players to survive in a world filled with monsters and animals. Players mine ores from the ground, harvest wood from trees and farm plants and animals to supply them with their raw materials. Players then craft all kinds of items with these materials.
The game is not particularly frightning and is highly addictive (for both adults and children).
I would have no reservations about children ages 4 and up playing this game, with the exception of online game servers (which can be set up by anyone). DH, DD1 (7) and DD2 (5) love playing the game. DH has set up a server where all three of them can play together at the same time.
Look up www.minecraftwiki.net to find out everything you need to know.

Ive been hearing about this too... but no idea . thanks for the info!

#30 Sandy1902

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:54 PM

My ds 6 plays on the iPad, so far we have only gotten him the free version (only because we are tossing up what kind of tablet or iPad to get him). Bt he loves it,  

He tries to explain it to me but I don't get it lol.

#31 Nomling

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:29 PM

View Postunicycle, on 14 January 2013 - 02:22 PM, said:

I would love a detailed mum explanation of buying the game( we found a wrong site pretending to be it) and how to set up anLAN , whatever that is, so he can play with friends overseas.

View PostRuffles, on 20 August 2013 - 05:08 PM, said:

THis too, please!!! I've tried googling, but need a dumbed down version!!!

I bought the game a few years ago when it was still in development. It's since become one of my favourite games as it allows for so much creativity. Not a violent or gory game, and the only scary thing are creepers (silent green monsters which explode when they are close to the player).

The game can be bought after registering an account at minecraft.net. Just choose a username not already in use. At the time, the only payment method was PayPal, but there's probably more now.

I want to stress that since this game is popular with people of all ages, and not just children, setting up a private server at home is a very good idea. The Minecraft wiki at gamepedia is fairly detailed about how to go about doing it, although admittedly it's rather technical. I play solo or on established servers so I haven't had any experience in setting up my own.

#32 Ninjah Kitteh

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:43 PM

Kids love it, I don't get it.

I'm not good with IRL lego, though either, lol.

It's at the top of the list of video games I allow and encouage, though.  

DD (9) isn't allowed to play with people she doesn't know, DS (15) is, and I trust him.

#33 belinda1976

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:52 PM

Sad but my 7 year and old 5 year old both play it, 7 year old more so.

They connect to each other and play together.... something 7 year old worked out herself.  Me, no idea.  I know it's about building things with blocks.

7 yo is also into watching the You Tube videos but I've banned it of late as there seems to be a bit of swearing going on.

Edited by belinda1976, 05 November 2013 - 10:53 PM.

#34 Feraldadathome

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:55 AM

We regularly have multiple kids on different machines playing on the same server, and some of DS10s friends have set up their own servers. These kids all tend to interact with each other only, even when on public servers.

DS10 also occasionally has sessions with a friend overseas where they skype and log onto a common server at the same time.

I have no real clue about the technicalities though, but have noted that it's a significant creative outlet for both our boys.

#35 cward

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:38 AM

My DD's play on the ipad/ipod so they connect with each other on our wifi.  We bought the mobile version for them (and lots of other similar games as well) but I don't let them play on the computer because I don't trust the other people playing.

I did hear that they were going to do an update to the mobile version so you could set up groups across different wifi's but don't think this has happened yet.

#36 PatG

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:44 AM

I've also heard of it being used to made models of real life things - so learning about scale etc.

#37 starraffy

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:48 PM

View Postdadathome, on 06 November 2013 - 07:55 AM, said:

We regularly have multiple kids on different machines playing on the same server, and some of DS10s friends have set up their own servers. These kids all tend to interact with each other only, even when on public servers.

DS10 also occasionally has sessions with a friend overseas where they skype and log onto a common server at the same time.

I have no real clue about the technicalities though, but have noted that it's a significant creative outlet for both our boys.

its a good outlet yeah... but not too much :)

#38 Feraldadathome

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:03 PM

View Poststarraffy, on 06 November 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

its a good outlet yeah... but not too much :)

Don't worry, DS10 still enjoys minecraft, but is obsessed with Warhammer, even though he only has the rulebook....

#39 starraffy

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:45 AM

View PostNomling, on 05 November 2013 - 10:29 PM, said:

I bought the game a few years ago when it was still in development. It's since become one of my favourite games as it allows for so much creativity. Not a violent or gory game, and the only scary thing are creepers (silent green monsters which explode when they are close to the player).

The game can be bought after registering an account at minecraft.net. Just choose a username not already in use. At the time, the only payment method was PayPal, but there's probably more now.

I want to stress that since this game is popular with people of all ages, and not just children, setting up a private server at home is a very good idea. The Minecraft wiki at gamepedia is fairly detailed about how to go about doing it, although admittedly it's rather technical. I play solo or on established servers so I haven't had any experience in setting up my own.

They say its expensive? how much is expensive and cheaper?

#40 IsolaBella

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:56 AM

Belinda1976 - I had issues with swearing. Generally find Stampy and Minecraftdad not too bad for language for the boys.

We did have an issue though.... Last month we hit Internet limit for downloads as kids had been watching too much. Now back to 2 videos a day.

#41 Feraldadathome

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:19 PM

View Poststarraffy, on 07 November 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

They say its expensive? how much is expensive and cheaper?
It's around $30 to register for the full desktop version.

#42 FeralMinx

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:44 PM

My kids are OBSESSED.  They are also autistic and although its a controversial thing to link that particular obsession with autism, I can see how they co-occur.

If you want to see minecraft in all its glory subscribe to cupquake, stampy and other similar gamers on youtube.  Oh yea, my kids are obsessed with watching them too.  Some days cupquakes voice is coming through 2 ipads and the desktop at the same time and drives me bonkers. 'hey everybody and welcome to another episode of minecraft oaisis' yada yada -.-

Its not my thing, but basically my girls usually play on 'peaceful mode' (minus the creepers etc).  In peaceful mode it functions much like a complex and never ending 'lego land' where they can build, create, farm, etc.  They also play with the baddies on there but not often as there is risk involved and they are risk averse.

They have been playing for a couple of years now, and are pestering me to let them play online on servers instead of just with each other.  I've found a kid friendly one I am happy with, its called minecraft sandbox or something similar.  Just trying to figure it all out now.  That kind can only be played on a desktop version of minecraft so I am loathed to let them get in to it as I will never get the pc back.

#43 FeralMinx

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:46 PM

Oh and its not expensive at all.  7 bucks for the ipad edition and 25ish for the desktop edition and nothing more to spend ever - cheap as.  cheaper than lego - which is their IRL obsession.

#44 starraffy

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:46 PM

View Postdadathome, on 07 November 2013 - 12:19 PM, said:

It's around $30 to register for the full desktop version.

not too expensive but i guess pricey for someone who's not into this games... :)

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.