Lists for baby and hospital
Organising

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 starfire

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

The nesting bug has hit me hard and I am in the process of organising lists for my baby shower (SIL is organising this but has asked me for guest list and items I need so guests can buy) and  I also decided to get started on a list for what I need in hospital.

Can you guys go through the list and add/suggest what I need considering I am a first timer.

Ok list for baby's room:

Sleeping needs:

Cloth cot sheet set x 2

Flanette cot sheet set x 2
Blanket x 2
Swaddles/muslin wraps
Sleeping bag
Basinette and basinette cot sheets
Portacot  

Bathing needs:
Baby bath (with a plug if possible) and stand
bath shampoo and body wash
moisturizing cream

(I already have handtowels, washers and towels)

Nappy needs:

Box of disposable newborn nappies
Terry cloth flat nappies
2 nappy buckets
bulk box of nappy wipes
cotton wool balls
cotton buds
nappy rash cream
baby powder (cornstarch)
nappy bags (for bringing home wet cloth nappies

(I am getting a change table so this is not included)

Getting around with baby needs:
baby carrier/sling
baby capsule/carseat
nappy bag with change mat
car window sun shades

Clothing needs:
singlets x 5 (sizes 0000 and 000 ONLY)
long sleeved wondersuits (with feet) x 5 (sizes 0000 and 000 ONLY)
short sleeved body suits x 5 (size 000 ONLY)
socks x 3
beanies and mittens
jumpers x 3

Feeding needs:
disposable breast pads
breast feeding pillow
bottle cleaning equipment
bibs (2-3)
freezer bags for expressed breast milk

General needs:
baby monitor (video preferred)
digital ear thermometer
nail scissors/clippers
play mat for tummy time
nasal aspirator

Mummy needs:
nursing bras (at least 3)
baby gate

Ok hospital list:

overnight bag:
pjs with buttons at front
2 maternity bras
nursing pads
undies for a week just in case
2 packs of maternity pads
slippers
body wash and shampoo
hairbrush and hair bands
toothbrush and toothpaste
deo
going home clothes (comfortable)

Baby's bag:

nappies
baby body wash and shampoo
nappy cream
3 x muslin cloth
5 x baby jump suits
5 x singlets
mittens and beanies
hand towels

(note I plan on breastfeeding - do I still pack bottles just in case anyway?)
baby book

Labour bag:

something comfortable to labour just in case you don't wanna be naked
massage oil
relaxation CD or other music
birth plan
health insurance details
lollies and lollipops
camera/video camera
mobile phone and mobile phone charger
change for vending machines
3 x water and 3 x Gatorade
address book for sending out baby announcements and phone numbers
magazines

(Sorry about dodgy fonts - I cut and pasted but the format went weird and I can't fix it)

Edited by starfire, 02 January 2013 - 04:49 PM.

#2 IsolaBella

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

Swap swaddled and muslin wraps for woombies.

http://www.thewoombie.com.au/

No flannie sheet sets.

Do you need bassinet? Do you need baby bath?

Don't need baby powder. Even the so called cornstarch ones are only minimally so.

I would be researching and requesting what car seat I got. Not all are the same.

Oops came in from recent topics

Edited by lsolaBella, 02 January 2013 - 05:29 PM.

#3 starfire

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it! I am totally new to this.

What are woombies? Are they like a sleeping bag but clothes? How many of those would you need?

I thought about it, I am not going to buy a basinette but I thought if someone does buy me one, I would use it but I was thinking the porta cot would be enough. What do you think? The only thing is our bedroom is a bit of a distance from baby's room so I am not comfortable with not having baby sleeping in with us from day one.

Bath is necessary, we don't have the means of bathing baby in the laundry sink (no bench space as laundry is in garage) and kitchen sink is not big enough to accomodate a baby, no tub in shower either - I've been told bathing baby in the bathtub is a bad idea as babies are slippery??  Otherwise suggestions for bathing alternatives are welcomed.

Don't you need flannette sheets in winter? Will baby still be ok with blanket/layered clothes? What is usually the process for sleeping newborns in winter?

I don't think anyone would get a carseat as they are so expensive but I left that on the list as I wil probably forget to buy one after the baby shower lol biggrin.gif

We already have the cot and mattress as well as mattress protector, MIL is buying us our pram (we just have to go and pick one out).  Am I missing anything else?

#4 Gixxie

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

You forgot the CAMERA! original.gif

i know it sounds weird, but i suggest u pack it because im sure hubby will be in a panick and forget it!

#5 Jenferal

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

Coming in from recent topics, but...
Skip the jumpers. Too hard with tiny babies. Growsuits and a zip up jacket and layer underneath will be fine.
Also, singlets ride up, you're better off getting the short sleeved suits with snaps in the crotch.
I would only buy bottle stuff if you plan on using bottles. If you're going to BF, then bottles etc are a waste of money. If you have trouble BF or need to express you can get pumps and stuff pretty easily anyway.

I wouldn't worry about too many clothes for the baby in hospital. It's easier to let them wear the tiny outifts the hospital provides(IF they do!). Also the hospital will have wraps etc as well.

I used MCN's and only ever needed one nappy bucket, not 2.

Oh, get a membership to the ABA if you plan on BF. Great support, lessons and books available to you if you join.

#6 luke's mummu

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

I would go with at least 3 sets of cot sheets - cotton (summer) and flannelette (winter). If baby vomits/wees thru one set early in the night, and you change it, it's nice to not have to worry about washing it immediately.

#7 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

QUOTE (lsolaBella @ 02/01/2013, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://www.thewoombie.com.au/

No flannie sheet sets.

Don't need baby powder. Even the so called cornstarch ones are only minimally so.

Why no flannie sheets? I think they're nicer and warmer in winter...
I actually found the woombies not that great, they were a bit scratchy and only fit for limited time. You can get plenty of flannelette wraps for the same price original.gif  And we use, and have always used baby powder - it helps to keep their little creases dry!

#8 Jenferal

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:31 AM

I think powder can be a problem if it has talc in it. It can cause cervical cancer in girls when the tiny particles travel up into the vagina. Plus inhaling it is a problem for babies.
You can use it if it's talc free and you dust your hands facing away from the baby(though that means you're not holding the baby on the change mat or looking at it which is another problem!)

It is good for keeping creases dry. I've used it sparingly by just using a small amount on my finger and running it along the area.

#9 Blossom73

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:36 AM

For baby's room, I'd also suggest 2 x mattress protectors. These were a lifesaver for when DS had a pee leak so the mattress did not get wet. I'd keep the flannel sheets on your list as it will be winter.

For baby wraps, I tried lots of different ones, but the ones that worked for DS were these:

http://www.lovetodream.com.au/babySwaddle_original.htm

I also had some muslins to cover up the pram or me when BF.

We didn't use a baby bath, just bathed bubs in the bath (very carefully, as yes they can be slippery) or in the shower.

Would not bother with any nappy buckets if you are using disposables. The terry flat nappies are a godsend though!

We don't use powder either, and to be honest just used water to bathe DS for about the first 4 months then moisiurised him with olive oil from the pharmacy (suggested by the midwives).

Would not bother with bottles if you are going to BF - if you need them later you can always get them. Bottles can be trial and error to see what works for bubs as well.

Also second the suggestion of an ABA membership.

#10 tick

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

Came in from recent topics ..... Your baby might not even like swaddling so don't spend too much on woombies and other such things yet!

I wouldn't bother with shampoo and body wash either. My six month old has only ever been washed in plain water and her skin is much nicer than her sister's was (who got washed in baby wash stuff etc). We moisturise in avocado oil only.

You'll definitely need waterproof mattress protectors, don't buy the cheap ones though. Get PVC free ones (urethane laminate). For us we pretty much only use flannel sheets even in summer, DD2 seems to wake up when I lay her down on cold cotton sheets. She loves bring warm though, whereas other babies are really sweaty and hate it.

Different things work for different babies. Getting too much of any one thing is probably not wise until after s/he is born!

#11 IsolaBella

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

I found my babies sweated so flannelette would be too much. Never used hats on them either.

Bathing be did in the big bath. dH helping me.

As I said even the cornstarch advertised powders are majority talc.

Short sleeved body suits are better than singlets. Mothercare do great ones.

We hired hospital bassinet. Easy to move around on wheels. If you are thinking bassinet I would do this type.

http://www.tasmaneco.com.au/buy-bassinette-online.html

Edited by lsolaBella, 03 January 2013 - 08:14 AM.

#12 sarkazm76

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:28 AM

We  borrowed a bassinet with DS and for this one we're going to rent one!  Try Hire For Baby - they told me it will be $55 for 6 months - sweet biggrin.gif  After that bubs will go into the cot we already have.  For DS the lady who loaned us the bassinet suggested just using pillow cases for sheets and that actually worked really well.  And for in the cot we did sheet, blanket shet and always all cotton.  I myself can't stand flannette - too hot, so not too keen on buying it for baby.  The cotton blankets are very warm.
For clothes think of trying to get as many things that DON'T have to go over the head as possible as it makes dressing them much easier.  We never used separates with DS as they would ride up all the time and never stay in the right place on him.  I don't think he went into separates regularly until he was in a 00 or 0.  
For bottles/ BF etc I would try and get a breast pump that comes with some bottles - this worked well for us.  Somewhere to store boobie milk to feed them later and then also to use when we supplement fed due to BF woes.  
For linens I got a lot of towells at my shower and they are great but the washers I got/ bought are crap and all falling apart now.  Better off just buying regular (not baby) washers I think.  We made do with only 2 or 3 sheet sets but that was because we had mattress protectors and also, as he had reflux, we usually put an old school terry nappy under him as well!!!  We didn't use a sleeping bag much at all and even when we wrapped him up well with wraps he always got his arms out during the night which he seemed to prefer.
No baby bath products and just sorbolene for moisturiser.  You have to be very careful of products you sue - our son, for example, has a reaction to all QV products.  I'm told it's the stearic acid they use - and this is a brand that Dr's RECOMMEND for eczema (which he also had due to food issues).  We never ever used cotton balls for anything.  INstead of a nappy bucket we use one of those disposal systems - they are awesome but we found you go through the cassettes very quickly.  After about 8 months we stopped buying the cassettes and use the system but just with nappies put in nappy bags.... but have bought some cassettes for when number 2 arrives.  You can get one brand (I forget which one) which doesn't use a cassette so you can use a regular bin liner inside.  But if you'll mostly be using cloth nappies then nevermind biggrin.gif  I got some MCN as well but didn't use them much in the end - i found them impossible to get pooh off to be honest - like soaking then 3 times through the machine - wtf?!!  I don't think you need baby powder - we never used it and it can make fungal infections worse/ more likely.  Bepathen make a good nappy rash cream or Sudocream is good too.
I wouldn't let someone buy you a carrier unless they have used a good one themselves otherwise you'll get one that is no good/ even bad for baby.  I would recommend an Ergo or a Manduca as my top 2.  We have a Mnaduca but getting an Ergo for this one so DH and I can have one each, lol.  Same for car seats/ capsules - do your research and specify what you want.... also you can rent a capsule from Kid Safe (this is Qld I don't know about other states) and they will install for you.  It's cheap as chips and DS was in his for about 6 months.  After that straight into the same seat he's in now at nearly 2 years old.  This time I will rent (from Hire for Baby) a capsule that is compatible with my stroller.  Because, again, you don't need to spend all that money on something you will use for 6 months only!  We had the safe and sound capsule for DS and I loved it - so easy to carry him around in it, sit it in a trolley when shopping.
I'd buy more maternity pads then that.  I don't remember how many I went through in those 3-4 days in hosptial but it was a lot and the ones they provide are CRAP.  Libra make the ONLY good ones I found out of about 5 types I ended up with!!!
I woudn't take bottle to the hospital - they will have equipment there to help you if you have any troubles so you can express and feed bubs with that.   I also wouldn't worry about products for baby at the hospital - just a simple moisturiser.
Put some stress balls or balled up socks in your labour bag.  Buy a copy of Birth Skills by JuJu Sundin and Sarah Murdoch.  This book was awesome and really helped me through my labour - the socks were fantastic to squeeze and focus on during labour.

#13 Blossom73

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

Oh, I also recommend Baby Love by Robin Barker as a "bible" for the early days, and also the Wonder Weeks book.

#14 Blossom73

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

Sorry, one more thing! The other thing I'd buy is some face washers - I got a 10 pack from target and they were really useful as wipes, etc.

#15 Beancat

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

Some great advice here starfire.  def dont buy jumpers, button up or zip up cardies are the way to go and not hoodies, too dangerous for a nb.

Def get Robin Barker Baby Love, an abosolute life saver in those first few months.

My advice, boring but practical, get yourself about 5-6 pairs of full brief undies in black.  full brief becuase they are way more comfy with the big horrible pads and if you end up having an unplanned cesear you will need undies that sit above your wound.  And black, becuase things can be messy in that first week and they are so mucy easier to clean original.gif

#16 mumma_ox

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

Just curious about having disposable breast pads on your list - particularly since you plan to use cloth nappies?

I found the disposables annoying - kept getting scrunched up in my bra and then would need replacing frequently. I preferred washable breast pads and they are a great item to include on a baby shower list.

#17 bright*future

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

also on the talc, I've just been reading baby love and if you need it she recommends using actual cornflour, in a little saucer  then apply with your fingers.

#18 theweehaggis

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

take a shower cap to the hospital for yourself... i had to have loads of showers after dd and really tge last thing you wanted to do was have to dry yoyr hair but you really dont want wet hair either. Same with labour.. i was in the shower for a while which felt good but had wet hair for the rest of my labour which was yuck!! so a showercap is highly recommdnded!

take a shower cap to the hospital for yourself... i had to have loads of showers after dd and really tge last thing you wanted to do was have to dry yoyr hair but you really dont want wet hair either. Same with labour.. i was in the shower for a while which felt good but had wet hair for the rest of my labour which was yuck!! so a showercap is highly recommdnded!

#19 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

Coming in from recent topics.

I would not get anything like sleeping bags or woombies until after the baby is born. You might have a baby who doesn't like them or even being wrapped. They are so expensive so silly to buy them now and you might not even use them.

I used muslin wraps (Duck brand) and for my winter baby a flannelet bunny rug over the top. I made them myself. Wraps need to be at lest 120cm wide. Anything smaller is useless.

Baby shower list-

Don't ask for toiletries. People seem to buy a lot of this stuff anyway and you will end up with a heap of stuff you will never use.

Clothes are very popular baby gifts. You will get more than you will ever need if you ask for clothes.

I used flannelette sheets in winter. Get more socks. They get lost so easily. I had 8-10 pairs.

Terry cloth nappy squares are so handy. Great burp cloths. Put one under babies head in the bassinet keeps the sheets clean.

No need for bottles or sterilizer if your plan on breastfeeding. Hospitals have bottles and breast pumps.

You won't need nappy cream for the baby while you are in hospital. I only ever used it when there was nappy rash. I have never used baby powder. Had corn starch but hardly ever used it.

Good luck. Preparing for the birth of your first child is such a special time. My first baby is turning 8 this year! Time goes so fast.

#20 Maniacal_laugh

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

Hi OP,

Is there a reason why you specified certain sized clothes for your baby shower list? If not, I wouldn't ask for specific newborn sizes. Most people will buy you 0000 or 000 anyway as they are so cute and you may end up with too many.

However, some people might buy you 00 or 0. I had some of these as presents, and they looked ridiculously large at the time. But it's great to have some larger sizes stowed away, it feels like you get the present all over again when it's time to use it. I always buy larger sizes now as baby gifts, as you can easily get lovely second hand stuff in the newborn sizes as it's worn for such a short time.

Big pack of big black knickers for maternity ward  tthumbs.gif best thing ever!

And I'd definitely get a bassinet so they can nap in your room, in the lounge, and you can potter about and don't need to keep going into their room to check on them. I also wouldn't bother with bottles as they are easy to pick up if you do need them.

Oh, also might be worth checking with your hospital to see what they supply for mum and baby. It varies quite a lot between hospitals.

HTH

EDIT: Read your list again and thought of a couple more things:

BF pillow - I wouldn't bother. I spent $100 on one and it was a complete waste. I know some people love them, but I'd wait to see if you need one first.

Bibs - I'd get a lot more than 2-3 (unless it was 2-3 packs). 10-20 might be better. I also got some nice 'posh' ones as a present from Marks and Spencers as DD was a very spewy baby so needed one with every outfit for about 12 months!

Playmat for tummy time - again, you probably won't need this, just pop some toys on a mat or a mirror to look at. If s/he's like most babies, she'll hate it anyway ... Again, I bought a specific one for tummy time and it was a waste for us.

Oh, and a couple to add: - some sort of bouncer, and a playgym (where they lie on their back and bat toys). You can use this one for tummy time too. Most people I know got a lot of use out of these two items.

Sorry for long post, slow work day wink.gif

Edited by tiggywinkle, 07 January 2013 - 03:16 PM.

#21 MrsLexiK

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

I'd probably get 3 cot set sheets.  I also probably wouldn't get any flanette sheet sets until after the baby is here.  I could easily sleep on flanette but my DH can't he struggles with a mattress protector and the heat and babies don't do well when they overheat.

I am getting a sleeping bag or two but that is because of the SIDS recommendations. We grabbed a bath and stand on ebay for $40. I too wouldn't ask for creams and stuff because in my experience this is the typical gift that people give you.

We are hiring our capsule, a safety 1st one for $110 for 6 months.  We will then get the car seat before the baby moves from the capsule.

I think you need more socks, I remember folding my SIL's washing once and there was about 4 or 5 socks left over which non matched - socks always go missing. I also when buying clothes for someone will be a mix of sizes.  I figure most people will buy the newborn clothes and I buy something that can be used after as well.  So I will tend to buy something newborn, something about 00 and something 0.  for my neice recently I brought her a range of singlets from 0000 - 0, and an outfit for each size.  These are more things that I would buy when the baby is born though.  Oh and I always add socks!

I notice you don't have any clothes on your hospital bag, just PJ's and undies and socks.  I would add in trackies and yoga pants/leggins (it can get warm in hospital esp in the maternity area) and t-shirts and the like.

I'm a first time mum as well, but I have the lovely added bonus of having a bunch of sisters, step sisters and SIL all having giving birth to a grand total of 17 neices and nephews. I have learnt a trick or two from all of them original.gif

#22 purple_daisy

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

So much great advice on here. I second the PPs advice about throwing a few items of clothing into your bag as well as your pjs. You will be in so many of the photos when grandparents/aunts/uncles/friends come to visit and in years to come you might be thankful that you aren't wearing your tweety bird flannies in every shot original.gif  I also found it incredibly warm in the postnatal ward, and sweated a LOT so being able to change into knee-length yoga pants and some loose singlets was really good.
Just remember to throw in an oversized jumper for the trip home. I had taken a pre-pregnancy zip up hoodie, but my boobs were so large that I couldn't do it up - not ideal on a rainy winter's day haha.

Once you've had the baby you might find that friends start offering you hand-me-downs and second hand toys etc. These are great, so try to resist the urge to buy up big now.

For the first two months we kept it really simple - 6-8 wondersuits, a few benis and swaddles. That did us fine and buying no-name wondersuits (eg the $7 suits from target) kept it pretty affordable too.

Good luck!

#23 starfire

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

Sorry for being so late in replying back - I was overwhelmed by all your suggestions and feedback, I really appreciated it considering I am quite clueless so didn't want to make expensive mistakes as we really can't afford to!

I have taken each of your advice on board and made some adjustments and amendments to each list.

To answer some questions -

I have a box of disposable nappies and also cloth nappies on my list (yes it seems confusing) but I have been told by a friend that I might prefer to use disposable and cloth with a newborn for the first few weeks until I adjust and find my footing and then convert to full cloth when I am ready.

Is this a stupid idea? Should I just commit to cloth? I had a hard time trying to find some good cloth nappies (MCNs) so decided to use terry for now - would this be ok? How many terry cloth nappies should I buy/request?

We already have waterproof mattress protectors - those were the next thing we got after buying the cot and mattress! That is why I didn't list this at all.

Thank you for the book suggestions - I didn't think about books and I don't really have any apart from 'What to expect when you are expecting' so thanks!

I wasn't sure if I should ask for disposable breast pads or not as I have some cloth breast pads but thought that disposable would be great for while in hospital and also at night sleeping? Please feel free to correct me if I am crazy!

I thought about only specifying cloth sizes because I was worried that I would get too much of one thing and none of the other sizes as when I first announced my pregnancy, I got a few onsies that were size 0000 and nothing else. So I was worried that my request would backfire on me so wanted to ensure that I got a variety. But if you suggest that I should just leave the sizes up to the gift giver then I will leave it.

Also, a big thank you for suggesting packing normal nice clothes for the hospital - I totally forgot about that!! I would feel strange if I was in my pjs all the time biggrin.gif

#24 MrsShine

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

I also wouldn't bother getting a baby gate just yet, your bub won't crawl till at least 6 months and by then you might have got one/borrowed one from a friend etc.

I took a friend baby essentials shopping last week actually and some of the other things we got you may want to consider are: dummies, we thought that 1 or 2 newborn size on hand mightn't hurt if you're not completely opposed to trying them out as its likely to be 3am when you decide you wish you had some!

Same goes for baby panadol.

We also got the fragrance & phosphate free washing detergent to pre wash all the baby clothes and bedding.

Baby hats and mittens are also handy to go along with the socks - especially in the early days when they tend to scratch themselves all the time!

A mobile for over the cot/bassinette?

Agree with PP that snap crotch singlet suits are better than singlets, and yes to LOTS of bibs!

Have you considered a bath/room thermometer?

Also maybe a nighlight and or a monitor with light. A friend has an LED push light she bought cheaply from a hardware store and just double sided taped to the inner frame of her nursery door, this way it s a very soft glow that makes no sound to turn on/off and perfect for checking on bub or breastfeeding in the middle of the night without disturbing the baby.

#25 MrsLexiK

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE (starfire @ 10/01/2013, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a box of disposable nappies and also cloth nappies on my list (yes it seems confusing) but I have been told by a friend that I might prefer to use disposable and cloth with a newborn for the first few weeks until I adjust and find my footing and then convert to full cloth when I am ready.

Is this a stupid idea? Should I just commit to cloth? I had a hard time trying to find some good cloth nappies (MCNs) so decided to use terry for now - would this be ok? How many terry cloth nappies should I buy/request?

The advice I have gotten from a lot of people is that the cloth nappies don't always fit great when bubs is little so can be fideley and messy but this is only experience from others not first hand experience, and like you said some people like to establish feeding and sleeping before the hurdle of cloth. I know I would be very happy after little sleep with cracked nipples to not have to worry about washing the nappies as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.