Installing a dishwasher

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Apageintime

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

So, our kitchen is about 10 years old, and its high time we got a dishwasher so we (ok, DH...) does not have to keep doing them by hand.

How do I go about this? Do I go out and buy a dishwasher, then call a plumber to install? or will I need a cabinet maker or an electrician at some point? who do I call first?

Or is there some kind of all in one dishwasher install type person?

Thanks!

#2 Apageintime

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

Also - what is a decent brand of dishwasher? anything specific that makes a dishwasher awesome?

#3 qak

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

I am waiting for my very noisy dishlex to die so I can get a Bosch or Miele.
you need to measure the cabinet space as there is some variance in sizes.

If you already have a power point, separate water supply and drainage points then installation should be a job that you can do yourselves.

#4 laridae

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Well, first you need to figure out where the dishwasher will go.
Do you want it under the bench (taking up spaces of existing cupboards) or is there room to put it somewhere else?

If you want to put in under the bench, then (if your not handy), you will need to get someone to take out the cupboards so there is space for it.
You will also need a powerpoint near where it is going (so will need a sparky) these are usually installed on the wall or floor under the bench, and you'll need to to get a plumber to connect up the pipes (normally a hot or cold inlet, and a waste outlet).

You can get slimline dishawashers if you only want to take out 1 cupboard - that what I have.  Otherwise you will probably lose 2 as dishwashers are fairly wide.

You probably should choose your dishwasher first - so you know what size to make the hole if its going under bench.  
I have an Electrolux - it seems to work quite well.  I hear Miele and Bosch are good.

Edited by laridae, 02 January 2013 - 01:27 PM.

#5 unicorn

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

I bought a Siemens brand, love it. It does a rinse at the beginning which determines how dirty the dishes are and then runs the cycle according to that. Everything comes out squeaky clean.
As for installing, is your sink plumbed for a dishwasher? There will be a small outlet on your s&p that the drain hose connects to, it just slips on, if not you can buy the pipe at bunnings with the outlet and it takes about 5 minutes to swap them over, a handyman could do that and the cabinet. They plug into an ordinary PowerPoint so you would need a sparky to wire that up. Ask them they might do the whole install for you.

Eta, forgot the water inlet, mine only has a cold water inlet, but you will need taps out on your water taps to connect to, similar to a washing machine.

Edited by unicorn, 02 January 2013 - 01:31 PM.

#6 PatG

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

If you are installing it near your sink the plumbing shouldn't be difficult (you branch off the hose that goes to your taps and the outlet goes into a little point on your sink outlet pipe that you have to drill out).  Power is probably more complicated, and costly.  We still haven't had ours done and run the cord up over the bench!

We did the install ourselves, there had not previously been a dishwasher in the kitchen.

#7 Feral Nicety

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

It's not hard apart from the electrics which you cannot do yourself.

I bought a Bosch this weekend and I am in love with it.

#8 Cyaira

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

Some retailers will do delivery and installation in one step (for a fee).

We recently bought a dishwasher. Definitely measure the space you want it to go in. When you look at dishwashers, also consider the size of cups and plates you use (better yet - bring some along). Some machines stack much better than others.

Also remember - some machines are designed to connect to a HOT water outlet and some connect to a COLD one. It's important not to get this wrong.

We have a Bosch and love it, so quiet and efficient and cleans beautifully. original.gif

#9 Coffeegirl

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

We have a Bosch.   Has  quick 30 minute cycle and a delay timer so I can run it while we sleep and the power is cheaper.    

It is really quiet too.

Love it.  It replaced our F&P dish drawers which were crap.

#10 SeaPrincess

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

When we put one in our own house, we had a cabinet maker come in to make a space and he arranged the electrician for the power point as well.  You can get the tap thing from Bunnings - DH did one in a house that already had the space and power.

As far as dishwashers go, I hate the Miele in our current house - the quick cycle is ridiculously long compared to the 30-minute quick wash on our old Westinghouse. I'm also not a fan of BIL's Fisher and Paykel dish drawers either.  I like to be able to run a half load, either top or bottom.

The recommended models in last year's Choice testing were:
1 Electrolux ESF66814XR $1639
2 Dishlex DX301WK $1009
3 LG LD1454TFES2 $1599
4 Miele G5141i $1699
5 Miele G5935 SCi XXL $3749
Note, these are RRP's - you shouldn't have to pay that amount.

#11 Apageintime

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:24 AM

Thank you so much to everyone for this advice. I knew EB would help me!

We have the space under the sink available, and an electrician coming out next  week for some other jobs so I'll be getting him to put in the extra power point we need.

Now off to choose a dishwasher!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.