Online Fabric shops

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 76 others

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

Where do you get fabric from? Reasonable prices but cool prints? I have just started learning sewing basics and I am not sure what is good value. What etsy shops do you use also?

#2 76 others

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (Gloriosa @ 02/01/2013, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where do you get fabric from? Reasonable prices but cool prints? I have just started learning sewing basics and I am not sure what is good value. What etsy shops do you use also?

Nobody?

#3 Madnesscraves

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

No advice sorry OP, But I will watch this thread with interest.

#4 Wishing2011

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

fabric.com? original.gif

#5 MrsWidget

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

I'm quite new to sewing too. I've mostly bought from Etsy shops and The Fat Quarter Shop. My Etsy name is the same as here so feel free to check out my favourite shops.

I have to say the prices compared to here are incredible.

#6 LittleListen

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

Some of my faves - I only order in Aus as I like to support locals.

http://www.kelanifabric.com.au/

http://www.duckcloth.com.au/

http://www.fabrictraders.com.au/shop/ - haven't ordered but love to browse

#7 Guest_3Keiki_*

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

fabric.com
Hawthorne Threads
Spoonflower
Banberry Place
The Fabric Fairy
Fat Quarter Shop
Pink Castle Fabrics
Fabricworm
Pink Chalk Fabrics
xogigifabrics
Fashionablefabrics

Knit Fabrics
Ixat fabric
Harts Fabric

as a start

#8 cantstayaway

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

I've never ordered from them, but I quite like the range here:

http://www.funkyfabrix.com.au/

#9 Guest_3Keiki_*

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

yeah i would like to order in aus but when i can buy a print for $8 jper yard and it is $25 - $30 here I have to pass....
And with coupons and shopping credits I end up with a LOT more than I would buying locally. Unfortunate but true

#10 Wishing2011

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

oh yes and google coupon codes for fabric.com if you use them. I almost always get a discount on my order which covers a nice portion of the postage original.gif

sometimes fashionable fabrics have good sales on and are worth ordering from.

#11 Guest_3Keiki_*

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (MrsWidget @ 02/01/2013, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have to say the prices compared to here are incredible.

Yes 2nd that one... always good to sign up to your fav shops email list and alerts I get some great bargins that way, awaiting an order from Fabric.com where I got ten yards a mix of colours of seersucker to make some kids clothes for $2 a yard (Spotlight is about $12) to say nothing of the awesome prints etc

#12 LittleListen

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

3keiki - I completely agree that it makes more financial sense to buy OS supply, but its not my choice. I would rather see my $ in the Aus economy and support small business (having been in small business myself in past times). I know its not for everyone, just my choice.

#13 Guest_3Keiki_*

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

eyesabove, I have a small business selling childrens clothes so I TOTALLY want to support local businesses after all I am asking people to buy from me rather than some online shop os BUT I would have to charge $45 for a pair of ruffles if I used australian suppliers. And thus wouldn't sell any. It is my total preference to support local and can happily stomach some mark up but not the one we end up paying for fabric here.
I also know that it is not the fault entirely of our local fabric stores - the person that is the agent for Micheal Miller fabrics has a huge markup before it even gets to the local shops. And then undercuts them by discounting it in his own fabric store. I won't ever buy from them even in sales just out of principal.

#14 indigo~

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

I use fabricshack.com. huge range and half price shipping to Aus. Very prompt servic too.

#15 blackcat20

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (3Keiki @ 02/01/2013, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah i would like to order in aus but when i can buy a print for $8 jper yard and it is $25 - $30 here I have to pass....

That's because Aussie shops have to buy through a local distributor, rather than through the OS wholesaler. Their wholesale price is around the same as the US retail price...

I buy from a few shops, including fat quarter shop, fabric shack, Bella's patchwork (local).

#16 76 others

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

Wow thanks! And ops to the buy local debate I inadvertently started. Mrs widget I'll check out your etsy list, thanks!

#17 Guest_3Keiki_*

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

yes that is the point I was making about the Micheal Miller agent here, I am sure if they scrapped the international agents and allowed stores to buy direct we would see a  reduction in prices....

#18 Cyaira

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

I use this website, no probs ordering from them yet.

http://www.equilter.com/

#19 blackcat20

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE (3Keiki @ 02/01/2013, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes that is the point I was making about the Micheal Miller agent here, I am sure if they scrapped the international agents and allowed stores to buy direct we would see a  reduction in prices....

Agree! But don't see it changing unfortunately. No wonder so many local stores have closed in the last year.

#20 Guest_3Keiki_*

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

Blackcat20 I know it is such a shame, I am very happy purchasing os, because of the superior range, price and especially in apparel fabrics the quality, but i look at some of the pics of american bricks and mortor fabric stores with envy, I love to head into a store and be inspired.

#21 Froger

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

I just thought I would add this suggestion, even though it isn't strictly online shopping (although it can be if you want it to be!).

But you said you were after interesting prints. So my suggestion is to go buy some sarees. If you buy last seasons sarees from a shop here in Australia you can get plain cotton printed ones for about $10, and really intricate embroidered and/or sequeined ones for about $50-60 (sometimes they were orignally selling for upwards of $400 in the shop).

This will give you at least 5.5 metres of material, and often alot longer, maybe up to 8.5 metres. Sometimes the end of the saree has a top front and sleeves printed on the material at the very end, so you use that to make a nice top (or even a nice dress bodice, and use the rest of the material to make the skirt). So sometimes you are getting fantastic material for as low as around $2 a metre.

As sarees are most usually border printed I mostly use them to make baggy trousers, skirts and tops (especially tunic style tops, or shorter tops). Sometimes the material is very thin, so you can use the end which is less or non printed/embroidered as lining. I flat line tops to make it easier and quicker than bag lining. But some sarees are thick enough to just make up without lining.

If you want to know where to buy them in your local area go to your local shop which sells Indian grocceries. You will probably be able to pick up your local Indian or Hindu (or even Muslim) paper. Have a look and you will see adverts for shops that sell sarees. Sometimes I find they are sold from people's houses, so you would never have known about them otherwise. You will probably be surprised at the number of shops that sell them in your area, even if you have never seen a person wearing a saree in your local area.

Or of course you can buy them online. But I like to go and look at them, so I can think about how the design will work with what I want to make.

Just this weekend I picked up two last season 9 yard sarees that are both beautifully embroidered with flowers (one with gorgeous really intricate roses) for just $50 each! I'm making shortish tops and long gathered skirts for my daughters.

Edited by SarahM72, 03 January 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#22 Guest_3Keiki_*

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Sarah what a great idea - thanks!

#23 76 others

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

That's a good idea Sarah, from what I have seen on saris, I am not sure if it is the type of material that I am looking for or would suit me.

MrsWidget, I can't figure out how to find you on etsy. How do I do it?

#24 melmax

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

Some of my favourite Australian based online stores
Wrapped in Fabric (does great discount codes if you sign up to newsletter)
The Oz Material Girls
The Fabric Jungle
Fabric Love Australia
The FabricBug
Fabri-licious
Bec Clarke Creations

I do also shop at fabric.com hawthorne threads , sky reve fabrics and etsy

(and yes I buy fabric a LOT!)

#25 MrsWidget

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE (Gloriosa @ 06/01/2013, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
MrsWidget, I can't figure out how to find you on etsy. How do I do it?

Try this http://www.etsy.com/people/MrsWidget  biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.