Stupid Question
about glasses

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Expelliarmus

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

I have been wearing glasses for 34 years. Thus I feel ridiculous asking this question, however I was never a klutzy small boy ...

Any tips, hints, or other general information about how to help a 9yo boy who has been and will remain gangly and awkward and completely uncoordinated for years, with caring for his glasses?

I don't care if my kids have to wear glasses, DD1 wears them, I just wanted to cry because he's the one kid I have who couldn't take care of them sad.gif He chose a cool Star Wars pair and we pick them up in about 2.5 weeks. But how do I make sure they don't get broken?!?!?!?!

#2 livvie7586

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

what does he need them for?  i'm short sighted, and therefore have my glasses on from the moment i get out of bed until the moment i go to bed (only take them off to shower), so there isn't a huge chance for them to get broken (as long as they fit well, i have had glasses get scratched as they were loose and fell off).

Long sighted-train him to put them straight in a case when taken off (and have more then 1 case).

And if for some reason he takes a tumble when wearing them and they break, there really isn't much that was going to save them anyway

#3 Expelliarmus

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

Short sighted. I will pick up an extra case, thanks. I don't use them nor does DD1, but I think having them in a case will help DS!

*crosses her fingers against taking tumbles* ...

#4 morgansacre

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

For my DS and my other two DDs I chose the ones that the arms bend backwards....these take a lot to break. I never in fact had to replace them except for new lenses.

Lynn

#5 livvie7586

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE (howdo @ 02/01/2013, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Short sighted. I will pick up an extra case, thanks. I don't use them nor does DD1, but I think having them in a case will help DS!

*crosses her fingers against taking tumbles* ...

NP original.gif  i'd have a case by his bed, a case near the computer/in the lounge room, a case at school etc, etc pretty much anywhere that they are likely to be taken off.  Plus i'd have some fairly dire consequences at the ready if the glasses are found off his face but not in a case (just something that will make him think about what he's doing quick smart).

#6 ♥~Bodhichitta~♥

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

My DS has been wearing them since he was 5, and to be honest we pretty much live at the optometrists getting them fixed  sad.gif .

He has 2 pairs, but seems to be forever breaking them.  Often it's just wear and tear - screws fall out, which lead to lenses falling out etc.  Sometimes he has dropped them.  Or stood on them  mellow.gif

The good thing is that generally the optometrist can fix them without charge.  Depending on what is wrong with them  original.gif

#7 Expelliarmus

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE (morgansacre @ 02/01/2013, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For my DS and my other two DDs I chose the ones that the arms bend backwards....these take a lot to break. I never in fact had to replace them except for new lenses.

Lynn

I haven't seen these for quite a while. sad.gif

#8 Expelliarmus

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (♥~Bodhichitta~♥ @ 02/01/2013, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My DS has been wearing them since he was 5, and to be honest we pretty much live at the optometrists getting them fixed  sad.gif .

He has 2 pairs, but seems to be forever breaking them.  Often it's just wear and tear - screws fall out, which lead to lenses falling out etc.  Sometimes he has dropped them.  Or stood on them  mellow.gif

The good thing is that generally the optometrist can fix them without charge.  Depending on what is wrong with them  original.gif

See that is what worries me!

At least the outlay after health insurance was only $26 ...

#9 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

I think you'll just have to accept that they are going to get broken. Repair them with sticky tape and he'll soon learn.  biggrin.gif

#10 Expelliarmus

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

He did try on a pair of Harry Potter ones ... LOL

#11 decisionsdecisions

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

We had been through numerous pairs of glasses with my very active/sporty six year old in the 18 months that he had been wearing them....until we found Adidas youth frames (we chose plastic ones).  They have bendy arms behind the ear so stay in place all the time.  We have not once been back to have them adjusted or repaired in the 5 months he has had them.  They are also backed by a manufacturers guarantee for 2 years - repair or replace no matter whether you step on them, run them over with a lawn mower, etc (examples given by retailer).  The only thing they won't cover them for is if you lose them...fair enough.

Having sung their praises it will be my luck that they break tomorrow!!!

#12 CountryFeral

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE (morgansacre @ 02/01/2013, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I chose the ones that the arms bend backwards....these take a lot to break. I never in fact had to replace them except for new lenses.

QUOTE (howdo @ 02/01/2013, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't seen these for quite a while. sad.gif

I got some for my Dad only 2 months ago.  They are still out there howdo!  It was the type of hinge rather than the arm itself.

* yeah... just to make you feel a bit worse OP - Dad has been wearing glasses since he was a three year old, he's now 80 and - ah - he's still breaking/losing them!

#13 PatG

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

The ones with sprung hinges are less likely to get broken.  I broke a few pairs when I was 4-5......  I think I tried to blame the dog once.

#14 MiSS_E

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Can't you get glasses insurance from the optometrist? I am sure I saw something about this in a store recently.

#15 Expelliarmus

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Yeah see, I NEVER broke mine - not even as a 5yo!!!

DS has broken 3 pairs of DH sunglasses, his own sunnies and three pairs of Harry Potter Dress Ups.  rolleyes.gif

Here's hoping he'll be a bit more careful with his own actual spectacles!!!

#16 ~Mo+Moosh~

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

My 5 year old has had glasses for about 10 months and surprisingly has not broken them. We've had to have them tightened a few times but he has been quite responsible with them, mainly in part because he knows what a difference they make.

We get a 2 pairs for the price of 1 deal at our optometrist and that's handy in case of breakage or them being lost.

My little boy has a Star Wars pair too and I think he looks very handsome in them  wub.gif

#17 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

OPSM has insurance which you can take out on glasses. I think it was $25 to take it out, then if the glasses get broken the excess is another $25 and they replace them. DH and I both got the insurance when we got new glasses as with toddlers / babies there's a good chance of glasses being ripped off faces and thrown happy.gif

#18 Canberra Chick

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

Plastic lenses and those bendy 'memory' frames are the way to go. If you cannot get the special frames, invest in a little set of mini screwdrivers. I know as a kid I was always working the screws loose that fixed the legs to the front... Oh and a pack of spare nose pads to recover the nose supports, if they're that sort of frame.

#19 *-*

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

I have 3 in glasses  - No history of eye problems in the families either huh.gif

Anyway - my only advice.  They are going to break, there will be issues, it's just something to accept.  Go with the longest warranty you can.

DS wears addidas frames, exy at $300 for frames only - However they have a 2 year unconditional warranty.  If he snaps them in half in a fight - they will replace them.  Well worth the extra $$

#20 Expelliarmus

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

I have trouble accepting that there *will* be breaking sad.gif I suspect there will be, but I never broke any and nether did DD1. It seems so positively heinous to contemplate that anyone would treat such important objects with less than reverence!!!

Here's hoping I will be pleasantly surprised ...

#21 be_a_butterfly

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

I took out insurance at OPSM lol.

My son was one I was worried about he doesnt seem to take care of much but he has surprised me with his glasses, apart from his grubby finger prints all over them he has looked after them. It also helps his teacher has made sure they stay in the classroom at lunch, my ds only needs them for school work and tv.

#22 unicycle

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

I now get my glasses online through Clearly Contacts. Much cheaper and you can have a spare pair to use for times you know the glasses might get trashed. You can often get a discount code.
Just ask the optometrist for the script, If you feel embarrassed, say you are going overseas and it is for if he breaks them there!
Get a hinged pair. I was taught to always place my glasses upright or on the side so that the glass doesn't scratch.
When he is old enough, get him contact lenses. I am much clumsier with glasses and have no peripheral vision.
Also, if he is quite short-sighted, get bigger lenses, so he has greater range of vision. Luckily, bigger glasses are now becoming popular amongst the trendy.

#23 Frockme

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

I'd get a band put on them so if they fall they hang around his neck. Also he won't lose them as they can hang round his neck if he has to take them off. The chains aren't just nana ones any more. I'm sure you could find some for kids! I know the cancer council have the but google is your friend if he has a character or footy team he likes!

#24 *-*

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE (howdo @ 02/01/2013, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have trouble accepting that there *will* be breaking sad.gif I suspect there will be, but I never broke any and nether did DD1. It seems so positively heinous to contemplate that anyone would treat such important objects with less than reverence!!!

Here's hoping I will be pleasantly surprised ...

I understand where you are coming from.  I do.  We have had DS in them for 12 months.  He has broken the hinge once.  Not bad going, really.

I went in with the attitude that they would be less looked after than that of the girls.  I haven't been wrong, but I have been pleasantly surprised... I planned for the worst, anything less was a bonus.

#25 Sue Heck

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

I got flexible frames for my daughter. It isn't her not looking after the that is a problem as she had them damaged a couple of times from other children  playing around in tne classroom and at sport with a ball in her face.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The mum who never met her baby

There was one more thing Kymberlie Shepherd wanted to experience in life - motherhood. But a rare illness took her first.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.