Lunch boxes and drink bottles!
what type do you prefer to use?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Excentrique Feral

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

What sort of lunch box to you buy for your kids?

I used to get the insulated zip ones but got sick of trying to clean DD's out constantly, so I swapped to the hard old fashioned basic variety. I no longer bother with insulation, only send a freezer brick on the occasion there is something that needs to be cold. Looking at the basic sistema one this year.

Drink bottles?

I really want a drink bottle that does not require the child to touch the drinking spout to open/close it. Germy! I only bother with cheap ones because they can get a bit slimy quickly so I like to replace them often. Most preferred so far is the sistema kind where you twist the outside to open it. Only an issue when they forget to twist it fully closed and it leaks everywhere, so hopefully I can find an even better alternative.

#2 Emily of New Moon

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

Love the yubo lunch boxes ... so easy to clean and comes with a thin ice brick that doesn't take up too much space or is too heavy.  It also comes with three containers (one sandwich size and two small).  The face plates can come off and you can buy different face plates for a change too.  Mumgo has them on special at the moment: https://www.mumgo.com.au/product.php?produc...p;event_id=8442

#3 MrsWidget

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE (duckypond @ 02/01/2013, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love the yubo lunch boxes ... so easy to clean and comes with a thin ice brick that doesn't take up too much space or is too heavy.  It also comes with three containers (one sandwich size and two small).  The face plates can come off and you can buy different face plates for a change too.  Mumgo has them on special at the moment: https://www.mumgo.com.au/product.php?produc...p;event_id=8442

I bought one for DS1 but we find it opens too easily so often falls apart when he's carrying it. The idea if great but the execution not so much.

I just replaced it with the Goodbyn and so far so good.

Edited by MrsWidget, 02 January 2013 - 10:25 AM.

#4 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

Ugh, it's far too soon for me to contemplate back to school stuff.

#5 Emily of New Moon

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE (MrsWidget @ 02/01/2013, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bought one for DS1 but we find it opens too easily so often falls apart when he's carrying it. The idea if great but the execution not so much.

I just replaced it with the Goodbyn and so far so good.

Well DD is too young to carry the lunch box so I carry it for her and so far no problems.  But perhaps it might be different if a little one carries it and flings it around too much original.gif

I'm loving the look of the goodbyn lunch boxes too!  Thanks for that original.gif

#6 Dylan's Mummy

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

I buy the insulated type ones, but have been thinking of getting a plain plastic one this time (one with an attached lid). it doesn't matter about the quality because my SS (aged 9) loses them within a few weeks, despite me writing his name on each edge in yellow fabric pen. I get one lunch box per semester. We never send him with containers because they always get lost. Once, a lunch box reappeared after being missing for about 6 months.

Those Yubo ones look nice, I might have to get one for when bub starts day care.

#7 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

I bought DH and DD a stack of the nude food movers, as Kindy is going to be rubbish free.  I liked the look of those best out of the cheaper ranges, still have to see how they go.

#8 greatwon2

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

I just buy the sistema plastic lunch boxed sized containers and powerade bottles lol i spent many years buying all different types but found no matter the drink bottle they always leaked and with both, their cheap so when they start looking a bit dingy i just chuck the bottles out and put the lunchboxes into use for storage and re buy , tho the lunchboxes do outlast many other types ive tried aside from the good old fashioned decore ones , those things could survive a nuclear bomb original.gif

#9 Monket

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Boxy lunch boxes and contigo stainless steel bottles for my son, thermos stainless steel drink bottle for my daughter.

Are the Goodbyn lunch boxes easy to open?  I have visions of my kids dropping all their food on the ground when they open them.  They do look fabulous though.

#10 MarthaJones

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

For the past 3yrs DD has used a Tupperware sandwich keeper and a Contigo water bottle (not SS) and put into a insulation bag. Her snacks for crunch and sip and recess are just placed int he bag too.

#11 Cherish

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

I've bought 4 goodbyns. Am hoping they are half decent for this year.
I use the stainless steel cheeki drink bottles.
Why don't you just use a 'pump' water bottle for a couple of weeks instead if spending money on a drink bottle that you will just throw out?

#12 Indi

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

We're trying these this year - lunch box and bottle.  In the past we have used Smash insulated lunch boxes with Tupperware sandwich holders and small containers for fruit, yoghurt etc and separate drink bottles.  I never had a problem with water bottles going slimy - I wash them each night.  Same with lunch boxes, wipe out each night and they do in the washing machine if they are really sticky.

ETA - just looked at the Yubo ones, they seem quite small.  They might be OK for preschool but I would never fit in lunch, energy snack and play lunch in one.

Edited by Indi, 02 January 2013 - 02:30 PM.

#13 FeralCrazyMum

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

DS has an insulated bag, his sandwich goes in a plastic sandwich container (decor/smash) and snacks/recess in a ziplock bag. Water bottle, he's just got a new one, it's a Smash SS one and has a rubber flip top lid and quite a large drinking spout, he doesn't drink enough with one of the screw top bottles as it flows so slowly.

I wash the sandwich container and wipe out the lunch box, on the weekend I'll turn it inside out and wipe it thoroughly, then put it outside in the sun to dry.

Lunchboxes have lasted well throughout all last year, can't really comment on durability of water bottles as DS has never kept one long enough to wear out  sad.gif

#14 IsolaBella

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

Tupperware sandwich keepers. Sistema drink bottles.

The Tupperware is lifetime warranty too.

Edited by lsolaBella, 02 January 2013 - 02:41 PM.

#15 songshirah

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

We usually get the Smash insulated lunch boxes with the drink bottle holder on the side.  Like this:

The ones with the silver lining insulate better than the white lining ones.

Inside I put the Klippo containers.  One sandwich sized, and assorted little containers for snacks.  

I like that the lids are attached so the kids don't lose them.

The smash lunch boxes usually last 2 years before the lining starts to give way.  The klipo boxes last up to a year if I fix up the hinge with duct tape half way through the year.  biggrin.gif

In terms of losing stuff, I trained the kids with one container at a time.  In the beginning it was only their crunch and sip container they needed to bring home, as they got reliable I added in the sandwich container etc.

#16 Heffalump

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

We just use an insulated lunch box - Santa brings her two pretty ones in her stocking each year and they generally lasts the whole year without any problems.  Nude boxes for sandwiches, salads and snacks.  

Drink bottles are another matter altogether - we've gone from getting the nice stainless steel ones, to the $2-$3 plastic bottles as we're lucky to have a week where she doesn't lose one.  I stock up on the plastic ones anytime they are on sale.

Because we have two sets, the set used for the day gets washed and air dryed overnight, while the other set is packed with the next day's lunch.  We don't have problems with anything getting slimy, just lost, lol.

#17 Kay1

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

I use a padded insulated bag and then put basic plastic lunch boxes inside with his various meals. The lunch bag stays clean and I just wash the boxes as we go. I can put in  freezer block if needed. Contigo drink bottles all the way here (we use the plastic ones).

#18 cantstayaway

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

I buy insulated lunch boxes, but have to hunt to get non PVC ones.  They come up well in the washing machine, but we have had problems with them going moldy in wet weather from the moisture from the icebricks I put in them.

I was going to try these this year:

http://www.fridge-to-go.net.au/

For water bottles, I just buy the Cheeki stainless steel ones.

#19 Illiterati

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

So sick of mouldy and lost lunchboxes and drink bottles. So now its glad wrap, waxed paper or brown paper bags and drink from the bubbler for water.

#20 liveworkplay

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

We use tupperware sandwich keeprs and divided sismex containers for snacks in an isulated bag. I just buy two each when they are on special and then chuck one out half way through the year.

Drink bottles are the bane of my life! This year I am getting them an Contigo water bottle. I got an insulated stainless steel one last winter and they are fantastic!  I find the wide mouth, BPA free clear plastic bottles much easier to keep clean (with a bottle brush) then the cheap plastic (or even *cough* tupperware plastic 8cough*) ones.

#21 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

I like stainless steel bottles.

As far as lunch boxes go, I got Planet Boxes a year ago. Best thing ever.

#22 Propaganda

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

We just use plastic drink bottles with insulated outers, and an insulated lunch bag that has a hard plastic lunchbox to be fitted inside (to prevent squashing some foods).

I find that insulated lunchboxes are rather essential where we live.

#23 lylac

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

My children use Sistema Maxi Fold Up Lunch Coolers, with decor containers.
The cooler bag liner is only attached by the upper edge which I find much easier to wipe out. There are less crevices to get gross. My daughter doesn't get hers very dirty, but my son is very messy.
I have been using the same bags about 18 months, and so far they have proven very durable.

#24 Tulipa

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

The contigo water bottles are best I've ever had. Never leak, large and not too fat for my small hands. Probably a bit big for small kids' hands though. One thing to consider is if your child's teacher lets them have drink bottle on their desk, the wetsuit material stops frozen drinks leaking everywhere. Otherwise, please send in a tea towel or similar!

#25 mama2carysbaileigh

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

We got the fridge to go ouch box last year from amazon they have been great, still like new, keep the food really cold.  They will last another year easy.  
I was looking at getting The contigo autoseal bottles for this year.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.