How soon is too soon?
To prepare for baby

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 RellBell

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

Hi girls,

I'm 14.5 weeks and have had my brother asking "can you give me a list of a few things you need? So I can buy it and have it posted to you? Cot, monitor, change table... anything you need".

Which begs the question, when DO you start getting ready for baby?

My good friend said "the sooner the better, so you can have everything bought and out of the way and then you can just relax".

I think i'm going to send my brother a few suggestions and he can choose the one in the price bracket that he wants to spend - like a nursing pillow, baby monitor, some toweling and washers, baby toiletries, etc.

I was thinking about getting ready around 6 months, is it too soon to start collecting things now?

#2 Jacni

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

With everyone having sales at the moment I think it's the perfect time to start getting prepared.

#3 elmo_mum

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

we had all our "big" items by 16 weeks!
good thing too as i was on bed rest by then and ds came at 24w!

start looking at the big things - cot, pram, car seat....

you dont really need a monitor...
bubs can go into their own cot when he comes home, but if you choose you still can use the bassinette...

#4 kwiggle

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

Whatever works for you I reckon, but I have a cautionary tale.  I was quite superstitious and bought very few things early, but was gifted some beautiful baby things that I loved to look at until we had a problem with DS's morphology ultrasound and were offered TOP at 20 weeks. At that point I had to hide all the baby things until we decided to continue the pregnancy and found them very distressing.
It's unlikely to happen, but I found it very difficult to have them in my house at that time.  All has ended wonderfully though!

#5 agnodice

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

I too was superstitious and refused to buy anything until 'viability' which I chose to define as 26 weeks.

#6 Kay1

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

What a nice brother!

I would start now that way you can get things a bit at a time.

I personally have always used a monitor for my babies. We can't hear them from downstairs. Have fun shopping!

#7 Guest_Amy Ramekin_*

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

I would say 14.5 weeks is too soon. We started getting stuff at about 25 or 30 weeks (I can't remember exactly). Nice of your brother to offer.

#8 Chazee

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

I'm not superstitious, so it's never too soon.

Have fun shopping. original.gif

#9 ~squiggle~

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

I started collecting bits and pieces for this baby before we even started TTC  laughing2.gif
We already have all the big things from our first two, so will start buying more gender specific things after the morph scan. I think I was about 10 weeks when Mum bought me a pram with my first, we were at a baby expo and it was on sale so grabbed it. I prefer being organised early, late pregnancy is hard enough without extra stress.

#10 WhimsicalDragonfly

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

Whenever feels right to you is the best time.
For me, I started buying maternity clothes and small baby items early on in the PG, then bigger items from around 16 weeks. This worked for me as it gave me time to research each item and buy/order them a few at a time. I hope to have the nursery ready by 32 weeks in case the baby arrives early and to help me feel more prepared.
And yeah - you have a sweet & generous brother!

#11 key_gal

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

I just placed in orders last week for a pram, a cot + mattress, an electrical pump and a car safety carrier/sit.

I did it all in one go because there is sale going on and the prices were cheaper than brand new items found online. I wasnt sure about buying 2nd hand car seats and cots know babys often puke up stuff. I was not totally convinced that I need to pay 200 bucks for the electric pump but husband think its not too much to pay for ease of use if I bring it to work after I return to work.

Things I have collected from relatives: baby sling, baby sit for feeding time (after 6mth), bassinet. BFF is giving me a baby bag for present.

Rest of things on my "may be list":
-steriliser for bottles. A large pot with boiling water should also do the trick although some wastage of water and gas will be expected
-iphone dock to play music in baby's room. I currently can only play music from my laptop which is abit annoying to leave on for extended periods of time in baby room.

Rest of things on my to buy list:
-clothes+ toys. I will wait till last min for these because most ppl give these stuff as presents
- Bottles, bathing tools, nappy change paddings for the table

Are there stuff I have missed? any reminders?

#12 Adamira

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

Hey everyone!
I have been looking up and pricing stuff since I found out at about 4 weeks. But for some reason at 17 weeks I still can't bring myself to buy anything. Not one single thing. I say whatever feels best for you, and there are some great sales at the moment.
I don't know what my problem is, as I always go through the baby stuff at shops. And you have a very generous brother original.gif
Go with whatever you feel is right. I'm usually quite organised as well.

#13 RellBell

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

Yeah, he's awesome.

I'm the second one in my family (of 5 children) to have a baby. My sister went first, but she's a bit snooty and she doesn't like anything anyone buys for her, so it usually ends up never being used or in the bin... So my mum and other siblings are excited that they can finally be "generous" and buy stuff for a baby that they know will be used and appreciated.

And one of my dearest friends has already starting planning the baby shower, she says "you don't need to worry about a thing and you're not allowed to pay for anything baby shower related, you just turn up". So my little one will be surrounded by very generous aunties and uncles original.gif

And thanks for the opinions, I think I will start planning what I need now (reading reviews, setting aside money etc), and I will start buying things at around 20 weeks (after the big scan).

#14 Mille-Mille

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

Both times I have not bought a thing until after 20 weeks, im 37 weeks now and finally i'm ready (i think).
However with all the sales on, might be good to start now original.gif

#15 Nervy

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

With my first i had bought the pram & ordered the cot & change table by 16 weeks. Nursery was ready at about 30 week. I love my monitor it was only $50 and i still use it now & DS is 2.5.
This time round i'm a bit reluctant to buy stuff, 1. I don't know the sex (5 days to go!) 2. I have already got lots of stuff!
I think when you want to buy stuff, buy stuff! Enjoy! There is no time too soon. xx

#16 monkeys mum

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

I wont be buying anything till much closer to 36wks, we have a cot already from previous kids.

We need a new pram, a handful of baby clothes, one boy and one girl going home outfit, a car seat, i think thats it really. I dont use baby wash as chemicals and a newborn dont mix for me, no point buying a load of clothes as we wont know the gender, no need for bottles as ill breast feed again. Ill make a wrap/sling so wont need a pram straight away, i also have baby blankets or will make some.

One thing i want to buy but dont need to is a swing. Oh and ill buy any Tigger clothes i come across lol

Ill get two boxes of newborn nappies, then some cloth ones

#17 Justaduck

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

I bought a porta-cot at 5 or 6 weeks in. It was on sale for $40 so grabbed it while it was cheap

#18 Liz_A88

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

I think once you are past twelve weeks then it is ok to start getting things! Especially if you see things at a good price in the sales etc because you can save yourself a lot of money in the long run! However just a bit of advice, buy them and store them away some where out of sight if possible. With my first I bought everything and had the nursery all set up and ready b twenty five weeks, it made for a very long drawn out pregnancy! Especially when I went two weeks over my due date! This time round I am twenty weeks and I have only bought a changing bag, and been donated a high chair and cot and things seem to be going much quicker!

#19 Natttmumm

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

For all 3 we have waited until after the 19 week scan. Some of the items we ordered were on order for 12 weeks so I wouldn't wait too long.

#20 Jacni

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

I really want to buy a new pram but just can't bring myself to do it. I keep waiting for it to go on sale but the one I want never seems to be on sale. Now I'm trying to decide whether to get a bassinet attachment or a capsule attachment. We will likely hire the capsule. I never had this much choice before as when I had my twins there weren't as many double prams on the market as there are now.

#21 leJadie

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

We didn't buy anything until we passed the 12 week mark. First thing we did was layby the furniture which we now have at 23 weeks. I'm trying to get the big stuff out of the way though and everything else I buy a little bit weekly.

Its all up to you, I like to be prepared so I want to get the expensive things out of the way.

#22 kate_123

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

Someone made a good point on facebook not to buy the big items too early as you use up most of the warranty before bub is even born. Best to layby and then pay it off as close as you can/dare to due date to get most out of warranty. Something I would never have thought of but makes a lot of sense.

#23 kate_123

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

double post

Edited by kate_123, 11 February 2013 - 05:36 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.