TIps for avoiding heartburn

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 spottydog

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

Hi ladies,

I have only even suffered from heartburn once before, and that was in the third trimester with DD.

Anyway i have it again, and last night i was up 4 times in 5hrs to get some milk to sooth it.

Does anyone else have any suggestions on how to avoid it at bedtime/overnight? i have gaviscon liquid, and the chewy thingys but overnight they dont help.

anyway im after anything to help.

#2 AnnBB

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

When I was pregnant I seemed to have heartburn from the very beginning. It drove me mental. I tried to avoid things things that seemed to trigger it. I made sure I ate frequent, small meals as overeating was guaranteed to set it off. I avoided spicy food, juices and anything else that was acidic. When I went to bed I also kept my head / shoulders elevated. I also sometimes found some dry crackers helped as well. Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

#3 babycat

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

My Ob recommended Zantac tablets which come in 12 or 24 hour options.  Works much better than the Gaviscon or Mylanta for me.

#4 elco

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

I second Zantac tablets - tried mylanta and other things but zantac is the only thing that actually works for me

#5 *Mrs_Cullen*

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

I agree with what AnnBB suggested.I was also told by my gastro-guy NOT to have milk.
The milk apparently produces more stomach acids to compensate for the acids that milk neutralises.

I love the chewy Quick Eze..they are almost instant and taste good.

You can buy Somac over the counter if its a constant problem, it is almost the same thing as Nexium which is a neutraliser ut by prescription only.

#6 JJ98

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Milk before bed then sleeping for at least the first half of the night propped up on a few pillows under back/shoulders/neck/head helped me.  Eating smaller meals helps too.

Eating an apple also helped to neutralise the acid I found.  

But sometimes the only thing that helped was the Rennie tablets or mylanta liquid.

Goodluck it is horrible to wake up nearly choking in the night.

#7 spottydog

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Ok i have MW in the morning, ill ask her aswell.

Do certain things make it worse? I never really get it, so dont really know. Someone mentioned acidy things, ill avoid that. Anything else to avoid? Last night my throat was on fire and i was just so tired of getting up for a sip of milk, then up to pee it out 30mins later, was a LONG night lol.

Getting me ready for all the overnight feeds i suppose!

#8 KDA

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

Dairy products made heartburn worse for me. Once I cut down on the dairy, the heartburn went.

#9 Escapin

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

I found orange juice and tomatoes were definite problems. Try to eat a good while before you go to bed, chew Rennies and if it's messing with your sleep, ask your OB or GP what else they can suggest. Don't just put up with it.

#10 Bart.

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

I have one miracle word for you:  Ranitidine.

I had chronic heartburn for both my pregnancies and this took it away almost completely.

It's the pharmaceutical name for all the long term heartburn remedies such as Zantac.  I found the 12-hour Chemist's Own brand worked the best.  It is safe to use in pregnancy and will give you the relief you need.

Occasionally I had to top it up with some antacids, but not every day.

Go get some in the morning, you'll definitely thank me for it! original.gif

#11 Bart.

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

Edited by Bartholomew, 01 January 2013 - 07:37 PM.

#12 spottydog

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

Will mention it to my midwife in the morning, because it is waking me up now. Im just having a couple of glasses of milk now to see if that will help overnight. Ahhh the things we put up with!

ps thanks

#13 Madnesscraves

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

For me, I stopped drinking milk. Only had it with breakfast. Don't drink after dinner or the liquid sits on the good giving you heartburn/reflux/indigestion.

What dr told me to do and since doing that I've had no problems.

#14 Bart.

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

Re the Ranitidine, I had three independent pharmacists, my obstetrician, a midwife and a GP all confirm it was safe in pregnancy.  I was pedantic about taking things when UTD and wanted to be absolutely sure.  That eased my mind, somewhat!

All the best.  It totally sucks, doesn't it. cry1.gif

#15 BBV

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

I have been taking two Ranitidine twice a day, one in the morn and one early evening. Also I'm trying to avoid any foods that I know trigger heartburn, I sleep with three pillows and I'm trying to have tea earlier.

#16 Camizebra

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

Another user of ranitidine, just the generic chemist brand.  I suffered horrendous hyperemesis and heartburn during my PG and this is the only thing that helped me.  Tried every single remedy under the sun and my OB said it was safe to use.  Check with your OB and see what s/he says...

#17 cordyline

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

I have Gaviscon liquid almost every second or third day.

As others have said, the dairy made things worse especially in the second half of the day - so I had milk and yogurt for brekkie but steered away after lunch. Also sleeping with a few more pillows propped under my head and shoulders helps.

#18 erindiv

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

I ended up needing prescription medication for my heartburn during my pregnancy with DS. I showed up at the doctor's looking like a zombie, told her about all the things I had tried (everything I could get my hands on), she wrote a prescription. Two days later, heartburn gone. No more for the entire pregnancy.

#19 Leafprincess

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

I sipped water with my meal rather than drinking a lot after a meal
Ate foods like cucumber, apple cider vinager etc to help with digestion after a meal
Ate dinner early and nothing two hours before laying down.
Slept propped up on an angle, one night slept sitting up because it was bad.

Avoid acid inducing foods such as milk, cheese and meat

#20 Moo point

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

PPs have all given good advice. What worked for me: not eating AT LEAST 2.5 hours before laying down; sleeping on 2 or 3 pillows (with shoulders/head elevated) and if you need to lay on your side, laying down on the left; Tums antacids; and small sips of water, not too much liquid, after a meal.

Best of luck, hope you find something that works.

#21 dangermouse007

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

My OB basically told me not to bother with any of the liquids like Mylanta / Gaviscon and to just use ranitidine. I tried sleeping with my head / shoulders raised with pillows and sleep just didn't happen.

I've only had to take the ranitidine a couple of times, mainly when I've woken up in the middle of the night but it's worked great. Try not to eat anything in the few hours before going to bed, I haven't found particular foods to be a problem for me, just the time that I eat.

#22 JingleBlitzenBells

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

I lived on Rennies.

Stay away from the milk.  sorry but dairy makes it worse.

Elevate your head at night.

Drink water / peppermint tea / ginger tea.

and yes Zantac work well too.

#23 Lauren Bell

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

Didn't quote it but JustBeige summed it up perfectly!

Avoiding heartburn? Drink lots of water, eat small meals, sleep with your chest/head elevated.

Unfortunately it can be hard to avoid during pregnancy so...

Curing heartburn? Eat a rennie.. Or 2. Drink more water.

#24 I*Love*Christmas

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

I feel for you OP. I had heart burn very early on in pregnancy and it continuued till I gave birth and then was instantly gone. Just about everything triggered it and I was chugging down some strong Gaviscon every day and night. I started with Rennies but they didn't take the edge off when it got worse.

I also tried the 12 & 24 hour Zantac tablets but they were useless too. Definitely don't drink milk. It goes away for a little bit and then comes back way worse.

I ended up getting a prescription for something to get through the last few weeks of my pregnancy with DD. I can't remember what it was but I wish I had gotten it sooner. I was to the point where if I ate even a bite of bread I would be in heartburn hell.

Oh and both my kids were born with ridiculous amounts of hair (The Old Wives Tale lol)

#25 dangermouse007

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

There was actually a prospective study published in the last few years about that old wives tail - they set out to disprove it and I think ended up with a positive correlation between heartburn and babies born with hair wink.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Essential Baby & Toddler Show Brisbane (4-6 March). Register online now to save $20!

Newborn baby found in a nativity scene

Police are trying to trace a woman who abandoned a baby boy in the manger of a church nativity scene.

Life would be harder without my kids

The Humans of New York Facebook page is well known for sharing touching, real stories from one of the world's biggest cities – and it's just hit the heart of parents everywhere.

Mum dresses as Wonder Woman for last day of chemo

A Brisbane mum dressed up as a superhero to celebrate the end of her chemotherapy and created a moment her family will remember forever.

How a raisin can predict a toddler's IQ

All you need to assess a child's future intelligence is a plastic cup and a raisin, according to new research.

Former Hi-5 member's cannabis hope

Former Hi-5 star Tim Harding hopes a cannabis-derived drug will help control his daughter's epilepsy, which sees the four-year-old suffering between 50 and 100 seizures a day.

The top 5 reasons your toddler throws a tantrum

Whilst to the outside world little people may appear to have it easy, it's actually not always the case – just ask any toddler who's had their toast cut up the wrong way.

Glenn McGrath thought he'd lost his wife and baby

Australian cricket ledged Glen McGrath has spoken about the moment he thought he might lose his wife, Sara and their baby daughter, Madison.

Inside my Centrelink nightmare

Mother Bec Smith has been trying for months to access Centrelink payments. A "serious error" is preventing her.

Warnings over push for hourly childcare billing

Australia's peak childcare body has called for caution around the Turnbull government's push for childcare centres to charge parents by the hour, not by the day.

Cate Blanchett thought about adopting for years

Cate Blanchett says her recent adoption of a baby girl had nothing to do with wanting a daughter after having three sons.

Kate Walsh: 'I can't have kids'

Grey's Anatomy star Kate Walsh has revealed she is unable to have children because she has experienced early menopause.

The parasite that could boost fertility

The Tsimane women of Bolivia are often revered as among the most fertile in the world - on average having 10 children in their lifetimes -- but some are even more fertile than others.

Family may sue cousin over genetics

A Melbourne couple is suing the Royal Children's Hospital for failing to diagnose a genetic disorder in their first child - an error they allege caused them to have another child with severe disabilities.

Strange things mums have done in labour

While most women in labour focus on the upcoming birth of their baby, some women do more interesting things.

Michael Clarke reveals baby's name

When Michael Clarke said he was wrapped around the finger of his little princess, he wasn't joking.

The logistics of breastfeeding twins

Our life is more or less divided into neat four hour parcels of time and it's hard to get much of anything done in the time between feeds.

How to stop people ruining Christmas

We can make a conscious effort about how we react to those curly Christmas day scenarios that can send us up the wall, or should we say chimney.

Lots of formula offers for desperate mum

The mum who was down to her last three tins of baby formula said she had received hundreds of calls and offers to send her formula.

Surviving breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Cot sheet brands for the nursery

With so many awesome cot sheet options these days, we thought we'd put together a list of go-to brands for you to seek out for your baby's bed.

What's hot on EB

How I survived breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Grieving father's letter to Bataclan terrorists: "...this little boy will threaten you by being happy and free"

A grieving father whose wife was killed in the attacks on the Bataclan Theatre last weekend has written an open letter to her killers.

5 challenges of motherhood - and how to see them differently

Despite the smiles, the sloppy kisses and the pure magic children bring to our lives, it's hard to deny that motherhood can be tough.

4 challenges of being a new dad - and how to face them

Becoming a parent is challenging – and that applies to both mums and dads.

My battle against antenatal and postnatal depression

I was five months pregnant when I realised I needed help.

Children swapped at birth will not be returned to biological parents

A boy and girl accidentally swapped on the day they were born will stay with the families who have raised them, a South African court has ruled.

A quarter of men believe they get 'man periods'

A British study has revealed one in four men believe they have a monthly cycle.

Baby deposit

How much do you need to save for a 'baby deposit'?

It's fairly straightforward to calculate a house deposit, but how much money do you need to save up for a baby?

Dad's beautiful note to his wife, a nurse

To anyone else it might just look like a picture of a mum having a nap with her toddler.

'I was a complete schmuck': Mike Baird opens up about his wife's postnatal depression

When his wife Kerryn was not well following the birth of their daughter, NSW Premier Mike Baird buried himself in his work.

Mum's desperate plea as whooping cough alert issued

A desperate mother has shared a heart-breaking video of her baby struggling to cope with a coughing fit caused by pertussis.

Coffee could help you live longer

New US research found people who report drinking three to five cups of coffee a day are less likely to die prematurely from heart disease, suicide, diabetes or Parkinson's disease.

The joy and dread of playdates

To live vicariously through your child is to rediscover anxieties you thought dead and buried.

Sick baby could die without scarce special formula, mum says

Lizzie Cann is down to her last three tins of a special formula in short supply.

Adorable toddler's strop foiled by squeaky shoes

We're probably all familiar with the pouty bottom lip and tightly crossed arms of a tot mid-strop.

More sex during World Cup created more baby boys

More sex during South Africa's World Cup meant a disproportionately high number of boys were born nine months later, a new study has found.

ABC Shop perfect for Christmas gifts

What a boon it would be to have your toddler's Christmas gifts covered this year. We have two awesome ABC Shop prize packs to give away to two lucky winners.

Do fitness challenges really work?

Fitness challenges aren't new. There's Michelle Bridges 12WBT and a bunch of other programs if you really want to lose weight.

What are pregnant women Googling?

Pregnancy is a huge change for any woman, so it's natural we'll have questions - and turn to Google to ask them.

Can't decide?

Check out the Essential Baby Names section for some inspiration

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.