TIps for avoiding heartburn
37w

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 spottydog

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

Hi ladies,

I have only even suffered from heartburn once before, and that was in the third trimester with DD.

Anyway i have it again, and last night i was up 4 times in 5hrs to get some milk to sooth it.

Does anyone else have any suggestions on how to avoid it at bedtime/overnight? i have gaviscon liquid, and the chewy thingys but overnight they dont help.

anyway im after anything to help.

cheers.

spottydog.

#2 AnnBB

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

When I was pregnant I seemed to have heartburn from the very beginning. It drove me mental. I tried to avoid things things that seemed to trigger it. I made sure I ate frequent, small meals as overeating was guaranteed to set it off. I avoided spicy food, juices and anything else that was acidic. When I went to bed I also kept my head / shoulders elevated. I also sometimes found some dry crackers helped as well. Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

#3 babycat

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

My Ob recommended Zantac tablets which come in 12 or 24 hour options.  Works much better than the Gaviscon or Mylanta for me.

#4 elco

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

I second Zantac tablets - tried mylanta and other things but zantac is the only thing that actually works for me

#5 *Mrs_Cullen*

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

I agree with what AnnBB suggested.I was also told by my gastro-guy NOT to have milk.
The milk apparently produces more stomach acids to compensate for the acids that milk neutralises.

I love the chewy Quick Eze..they are almost instant and taste good.

You can buy Somac over the counter if its a constant problem, it is almost the same thing as Nexium which is a neutraliser ut by prescription only.

HTH

#6 JJ98

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Milk before bed then sleeping for at least the first half of the night propped up on a few pillows under back/shoulders/neck/head helped me.  Eating smaller meals helps too.

Eating an apple also helped to neutralise the acid I found.  

But sometimes the only thing that helped was the Rennie tablets or mylanta liquid.

Goodluck it is horrible to wake up nearly choking in the night.

#7 spottydog

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Ok i have MW in the morning, ill ask her aswell.

Do certain things make it worse? I never really get it, so dont really know. Someone mentioned acidy things, ill avoid that. Anything else to avoid? Last night my throat was on fire and i was just so tired of getting up for a sip of milk, then up to pee it out 30mins later, was a LONG night lol.

Getting me ready for all the overnight feeds i suppose!

spottydog.

#8 KDA

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

Dairy products made heartburn worse for me. Once I cut down on the dairy, the heartburn went.

#9 Escapin

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

I found orange juice and tomatoes were definite problems. Try to eat a good while before you go to bed, chew Rennies and if it's messing with your sleep, ask your OB or GP what else they can suggest. Don't just put up with it.

#10 Bart.

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

I have one miracle word for you:  Ranitidine.

I had chronic heartburn for both my pregnancies and this took it away almost completely.

It's the pharmaceutical name for all the long term heartburn remedies such as Zantac.  I found the 12-hour Chemist's Own brand worked the best.  It is safe to use in pregnancy and will give you the relief you need.

Occasionally I had to top it up with some antacids, but not every day.

Go get some in the morning, you'll definitely thank me for it! original.gif

#11 Bart.

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

dp

Edited by Bartholomew, 01 January 2013 - 07:37 PM.

#12 spottydog

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

Will mention it to my midwife in the morning, because it is waking me up now. Im just having a couple of glasses of milk now to see if that will help overnight. Ahhh the things we put up with!

spottydog.

ps thanks

#13 Madnesscraves

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

For me, I stopped drinking milk. Only had it with breakfast. Don't drink after dinner or the liquid sits on the good giving you heartburn/reflux/indigestion.

What dr told me to do and since doing that I've had no problems.

#14 Bart.

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

Re the Ranitidine, I had three independent pharmacists, my obstetrician, a midwife and a GP all confirm it was safe in pregnancy.  I was pedantic about taking things when UTD and wanted to be absolutely sure.  That eased my mind, somewhat!

All the best.  It totally sucks, doesn't it. cry1.gif

#15 BBV

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

I have been taking two Ranitidine twice a day, one in the morn and one early evening. Also I'm trying to avoid any foods that I know trigger heartburn, I sleep with three pillows and I'm trying to have tea earlier.

#16 Camizebra

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

Another user of ranitidine, just the generic chemist brand.  I suffered horrendous hyperemesis and heartburn during my PG and this is the only thing that helped me.  Tried every single remedy under the sun and my OB said it was safe to use.  Check with your OB and see what s/he says...

#17 cordyline

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

I have Gaviscon liquid almost every second or third day.

As others have said, the dairy made things worse especially in the second half of the day - so I had milk and yogurt for brekkie but steered away after lunch. Also sleeping with a few more pillows propped under my head and shoulders helps.

#18 erindiv

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

I ended up needing prescription medication for my heartburn during my pregnancy with DS. I showed up at the doctor's looking like a zombie, told her about all the things I had tried (everything I could get my hands on), she wrote a prescription. Two days later, heartburn gone. No more for the entire pregnancy.

#19 Leafprincess

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

I sipped water with my meal rather than drinking a lot after a meal
Ate foods like cucumber, apple cider vinager etc to help with digestion after a meal
Ate dinner early and nothing two hours before laying down.
Slept propped up on an angle, one night slept sitting up because it was bad.

Avoid acid inducing foods such as milk, cheese and meat

#20 Moo point

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

PPs have all given good advice. What worked for me: not eating AT LEAST 2.5 hours before laying down; sleeping on 2 or 3 pillows (with shoulders/head elevated) and if you need to lay on your side, laying down on the left; Tums antacids; and small sips of water, not too much liquid, after a meal.

Best of luck, hope you find something that works.

#21 dangermouse007

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

My OB basically told me not to bother with any of the liquids like Mylanta / Gaviscon and to just use ranitidine. I tried sleeping with my head / shoulders raised with pillows and sleep just didn't happen.

I've only had to take the ranitidine a couple of times, mainly when I've woken up in the middle of the night but it's worked great. Try not to eat anything in the few hours before going to bed, I haven't found particular foods to be a problem for me, just the time that I eat.

#22 JustBeige

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

I lived on Rennies.

Stay away from the milk.  sorry but dairy makes it worse.

Elevate your head at night.

Drink water / peppermint tea / ginger tea.

and yes Zantac work well too.

#23 Lauren Bell

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

Didn't quote it but JustBeige summed it up perfectly!

Avoiding heartburn? Drink lots of water, eat small meals, sleep with your chest/head elevated.

Unfortunately it can be hard to avoid during pregnancy so...

Curing heartburn? Eat a rennie.. Or 2. Drink more water.

#24 I*Love*Christmas

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

I feel for you OP. I had heart burn very early on in pregnancy and it continuued till I gave birth and then was instantly gone. Just about everything triggered it and I was chugging down some strong Gaviscon every day and night. I started with Rennies but they didn't take the edge off when it got worse.

I also tried the 12 & 24 hour Zantac tablets but they were useless too. Definitely don't drink milk. It goes away for a little bit and then comes back way worse.

I ended up getting a prescription for something to get through the last few weeks of my pregnancy with DD. I can't remember what it was but I wish I had gotten it sooner. I was to the point where if I ate even a bite of bread I would be in heartburn hell.

Oh and both my kids were born with ridiculous amounts of hair (The Old Wives Tale lol)

#25 dangermouse007

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

There was actually a prospective study published in the last few years about that old wives tail - they set out to disprove it and I think ended up with a positive correlation between heartburn and babies born with hair wink.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recall: Another cot deemed unsafe

Parents are being warned to check their baby's cot is not one of those which have been recalled in recent weeks due to safety concerns.

The truth about breastfeeding and weightloss

Celebrities often state that their post-baby weight loss is down to breastfeeding, and breastfeeding alone. But that's not the reality for all women.

10 weird things little kids do

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. It's usually nothing to worry about, but every now and again you might find yourself scratching your head and asking, ?Really? Is that really a thing??

The app that helps detect signs of autism

Parents can assess their children's progress at critical developmental stages, thanks to this new app.

Long battle to learn the truth about Ariana's birth

Cerise and Tim Lawn spent two years fighting to find out how a healthy pregnancy turned into a nightmare birth, and why their daughter now suffers from disabilities she shouldn't have.

Christina Aguilera announces daughter's name

Christina Aguilera and her fiance, Matt Rutler, have welcomed their daughter into the world.

Couple caught in surrogacy crackdown

An Australian couple caught up in Thailand's surrogacy crackdown have said many parents are distraught and facing dire financial difficulties as are they are unable to bring their surrogate-born babies home.

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

5 co-sleeping myths busted

In case you are co-sleeping with your baby, and all the ?helpful? advice from others is sending you down the slippery slope of self-doubt, let?s bust a few myths on the topic.

When pregnancy takes you down memory lane

One mum-to-be discovers pregnancy hormones can give rise to some surprising emotions.

What?s your love language?

The secret to making your partner feel special is to know which language of love they favour ? and it?s the same for your kids, too.

Returning to exercise after a caesarean

I had my daughter four months ago via caesarean, and I want to get back into exercise. What are some good first steps I can take?

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Whether they're out of favour traditional names, or the parents were a little creative, here are the least popular names of 2013.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.