Recommend me some iPad games

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 belinda1976

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

Got an iPad for Xmas and after some recommendations for games and/or apps - kids and adults.

#2 FiveAus

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

I am currently playing a puzzle game called The Room. It's very good, and I'm not usually interested in games.

Love the Donna Hay magazine app, I've downloaded the two free ones and they are beautiful.

#3 anna_garny

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

Games- Husband and I play Tiny Tower, he plays the Sims. I got Peggle when it was on sale for 99c, and we both play Words With Friends.

I use my iPad for the Coles magazine, too, as well as the Woolworths shopping app - both feature their catalogues and you can check the specials before you go shopping, or do online shopping right from the app in one of them, I think.

YouTube is no longer embedded in the iOS so you have to download that separately, but one of the apps I use the most is TED Talks - I love hearing/watching people talk about things they are passionate about and there's always something informative in there.

#4 PotatoScallop

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

One of my favourite iPad games is Where's My Water? It's good for kids and adults. You have to make a path so an alligator can have a bath. It sounds silly but it's really fun!

#5 Isolabella

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

Where's my water and cut the rope for both adults and kids.

Apps gone free is a great app which daily has around 5 apps which are free for the day.

Also get 12 days of Apple so you can download the two toy story short films ( today only)

#6 toosenuf

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (lsolaBella @ 01/01/2013, 06:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Apps gone free is a great app which daily has around 5 apps which are free for the day.

Also get 12 days of Apple so you can download the two toy story short films ( today only)

thank you for this, it is awesome.

#7 biccyfish

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

Toca Boca make some fun apps for kids, monkey maths is good too!

#8 belinda1976

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

Thanks for the suggestions ladies.  I love Apps Gone Free - addicted to it!

Are there any great books you can also download for free?

#9 *yassie*

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

All the EA apps are .99 at the moment for Christmas/New Year. We just got monopoly, game of life, scrabble and a few others.

#10 ChickenortheEgg?

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

Fish ninja!

#11 *yassie*

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

IsolaBella, I cant get the Toy story film. Its saying its not available in the australian store? am I missing something?

Also ETA, The play school app (art maker) is awesome. Lets kids put their voices to playschool characters and make their own movies.
Storybots is another good one for kids. From the makers of JibJab. Puts a kids face into a storybook character. Both are free original.gif

#12 Isolabella

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

It is toy story toons. You access via the apple 12 days of Christmas app

#13 *yassie*

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

I got the itunes 12 days of xmas app and then I click on the toy story toons pic it takes me to the itunes sort but doesnt work. May have to interrupt DH watching his movie to get it sorted for poor old computer illiterate me lol original.gif

#14 Expelliarmus

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE (*yassie* @ 01/01/2013, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got the itunes 12 days of xmas app and then I click on the toy story toons pic it takes me to the itunes sort but doesnt work. May have to interrupt DH watching his movie to get it sorted for poor old computer illiterate me lol original.gif

Check for them in the Videos app. that's where mine went

#15 ~zael~

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

Toy Story Toons won't work for me either.  Same message - This video unavailable from Australian store.  Bugger!

#16 ~shannon~

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:35 AM

QUOTE (FiveAus @ 01/01/2013, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am currently playing a puzzle game called The Room. It's very good, and I'm not usually interested in games.

Another one who LOVED The Room! Fabulous graphics, really interesting puzzles and clues if you get stuck.

Just looking at my ipad now and we love:

Me: Ted talks, Solitaire Delux, Feevo HD, Apps Gone Free, Smule Magic Piano, Harbor Master, Draw Free, Angry Birds, Sudoku2, OzTV, Facebook, Instagram, iBooks, Lost Winds 2 (really enjoyed this game), Sprout Pregnancy, Diner Dash, ABC iView, QRReader, Twitter, Google Earth, Mail, Safari and Spread Out.

Kids: Videos (I downloaded a few of their favourite ABC Kids shows to watch while travelling in the car), Photos (they love flicking through the whole library which is linked to the Mac), Drawing Pad, Bath Time, Alien Buddies, Concepts, Pepi Bath, Toca Doctor, Art Maker (Playschool), In The Night Garden, Little Fox Music Box (gorgeous graphics), Wozzle Wood Puzzle, Curious George at the Zoo, Bug Games HD, Rocket Speller, Fruit Ninja, Bugs and Bubbles, Mickey Mouse Road Rally, Little Things (this is a nice one sort of like Where's Wally? but with objects).

Books the kids love: The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr Morris Lessmore (truly brilliant!), Nighty Night HD, Animalia, G'night Safari, Lost Key, Three Little Piggies, Nursery Rhymes (by ustwo).

Some of the above are free, some are not. I usually get them when they appear on Apps Gone Free, so it's worth checking that app on a daily basis.

#17 mynameisprince

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

Check out www.smartappsforkids.com  

They have a 2 x GFAOTD (Good Free App of the Day) every day and heaps of Top Apps lists for different subjects/ages.  Their reviews are brutally honest too, there's no fluffy sugar-coated every-app-is-great.  

#18 unicycle

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

Thanks for these links!

#19 treetree

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

I just found toongoggles. It has free cartoons of all different types. Along with ABC iView, it keeps my little two occupied for some time in the morning!

#20 ChexMix

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

I love Plants vs Zombies biggrin.gif Cute and fun.

Tiny Wings is also a really sweet, simple game perfect for kids and adults.

#21 peachkoala

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

Happy street!! DH and I are addicted.

#22 peachkoala

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

Edited by peachkoala, 05 January 2013 - 12:04 PM.

#23 babycuddler

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

Roads of Rome is great fun, you can download the first few levels for free to see if you like it before buying the full version. Basically you get these little guys to collect food, wood, stone, gold etc and build a road while beating a certain time. If you like age of empires this is your thing except it is a lot simpler. They have since released a second and third game and I have played them all the way through which I never normally do!!

Edited by babycuddler, 05 January 2013 - 12:38 PM.

#24 Copacetic

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

Roads to Rome, and the Pyramid Rising series are fun.  My all time favourite is Anthill.

#25 Neko NoNo

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

Some great ideas in here!  I loved the room too, but way too short. Hope they release another room for free. I really like triple town at the moment, very simple but addictive. Free to play, but you have to pay for unlimited turns or wait for free ones to generate. Pitfall is good fun too.

As for kids, I've downloaded dr Seuss books ( a bit pricey) but my fav would be miss spiders tea party- these are both for toddlers. The fisher price giggle gang app always gets a laugh from DS which is nice when he's grumpy!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Essential Baby & Toddler Show Brisbane (4-6 March). Register online now to save $20!

Newborn baby found in a nativity scene

Police are trying to trace a woman who abandoned a baby boy in the manger of a church nativity scene.

Life would be harder without my kids

The Humans of New York Facebook page is well known for sharing touching, real stories from one of the world's biggest cities – and it's just hit the heart of parents everywhere.

Mum dresses as Wonder Woman for last day of chemo

A Brisbane mum dressed up as a superhero to celebrate the end of her chemotherapy and created a moment her family will remember forever.

How a raisin can predict a toddler's IQ

All you need to assess a child's future intelligence is a plastic cup and a raisin, according to new research.

Former Hi-5 member's cannabis hope

Former Hi-5 star Tim Harding hopes a cannabis-derived drug will help control his daughter's epilepsy, which sees the four-year-old suffering between 50 and 100 seizures a day.

The top 5 reasons your toddler throws a tantrum

Whilst to the outside world little people may appear to have it easy, it's actually not always the case – just ask any toddler who's had their toast cut up the wrong way.

Glenn McGrath thought he'd lost his wife and baby

Australian cricket ledged Glen McGrath has spoken about the moment he thought he might lose his wife, Sara and their baby daughter, Madison.

Inside my Centrelink nightmare

Mother Bec Smith has been trying for months to access Centrelink payments. A "serious error" is preventing her.

Warnings over push for hourly childcare billing

Australia's peak childcare body has called for caution around the Turnbull government's push for childcare centres to charge parents by the hour, not by the day.

Cate Blanchett thought about adopting for years

Cate Blanchett says her recent adoption of a baby girl had nothing to do with wanting a daughter after having three sons.

Kate Walsh: 'I can't have kids'

Grey's Anatomy star Kate Walsh has revealed she is unable to have children because she has experienced early menopause.

The parasite that could boost fertility

The Tsimane women of Bolivia are often revered as among the most fertile in the world - on average having 10 children in their lifetimes -- but some are even more fertile than others.

Family may sue cousin over genetics

A Melbourne couple is suing the Royal Children's Hospital for failing to diagnose a genetic disorder in their first child - an error they allege caused them to have another child with severe disabilities.

Strange things mums have done in labour

While most women in labour focus on the upcoming birth of their baby, some women do more interesting things.

Michael Clarke reveals baby's name

When Michael Clarke said he was wrapped around the finger of his little princess, he wasn't joking.

The logistics of breastfeeding twins

Our life is more or less divided into neat four hour parcels of time and it's hard to get much of anything done in the time between feeds.

How to stop people ruining Christmas

We can make a conscious effort about how we react to those curly Christmas day scenarios that can send us up the wall, or should we say chimney.

Lots of formula offers for desperate mum

The mum who was down to her last three tins of baby formula said she had received hundreds of calls and offers to send her formula.

Surviving breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Cot sheet brands for the nursery

With so many awesome cot sheet options these days, we thought we'd put together a list of go-to brands for you to seek out for your baby's bed.

What's hot on EB

How I survived breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Grieving father's letter to Bataclan terrorists: "...this little boy will threaten you by being happy and free"

A grieving father whose wife was killed in the attacks on the Bataclan Theatre last weekend has written an open letter to her killers.

5 challenges of motherhood - and how to see them differently

Despite the smiles, the sloppy kisses and the pure magic children bring to our lives, it's hard to deny that motherhood can be tough.

4 challenges of being a new dad - and how to face them

Becoming a parent is challenging – and that applies to both mums and dads.

My battle against antenatal and postnatal depression

I was five months pregnant when I realised I needed help.

Children swapped at birth will not be returned to biological parents

A boy and girl accidentally swapped on the day they were born will stay with the families who have raised them, a South African court has ruled.

A quarter of men believe they get 'man periods'

A British study has revealed one in four men believe they have a monthly cycle.

Baby deposit

How much do you need to save for a 'baby deposit'?

It's fairly straightforward to calculate a house deposit, but how much money do you need to save up for a baby?

Dad's beautiful note to his wife, a nurse

To anyone else it might just look like a picture of a mum having a nap with her toddler.

'I was a complete schmuck': Mike Baird opens up about his wife's postnatal depression

When his wife Kerryn was not well following the birth of their daughter, NSW Premier Mike Baird buried himself in his work.

Mum's desperate plea as whooping cough alert issued

A desperate mother has shared a heart-breaking video of her baby struggling to cope with a coughing fit caused by pertussis.

Coffee could help you live longer

New US research found people who report drinking three to five cups of coffee a day are less likely to die prematurely from heart disease, suicide, diabetes or Parkinson's disease.

The joy and dread of playdates

To live vicariously through your child is to rediscover anxieties you thought dead and buried.

Sick baby could die without scarce special formula, mum says

Lizzie Cann is down to her last three tins of a special formula in short supply.

Adorable toddler's strop foiled by squeaky shoes

We're probably all familiar with the pouty bottom lip and tightly crossed arms of a tot mid-strop.

More sex during World Cup created more baby boys

More sex during South Africa's World Cup meant a disproportionately high number of boys were born nine months later, a new study has found.

ABC Shop perfect for Christmas gifts

What a boon it would be to have your toddler's Christmas gifts covered this year. We have two awesome ABC Shop prize packs to give away to two lucky winners.

Do fitness challenges really work?

Fitness challenges aren't new. There's Michelle Bridges 12WBT and a bunch of other programs if you really want to lose weight.

What are pregnant women Googling?

Pregnancy is a huge change for any woman, so it's natural we'll have questions - and turn to Google to ask them.

Can't decide?

Check out the Essential Baby Names section for some inspiration

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.