For those who are married

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 erindiv

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

How did your engagement come about? Did you just come to a decision to get engaged, go out and buy a ring? Did your DF/DH surprise you with a proposal? Or did YOU propose? Or no engagement at all, straight to the wedding?

#2 Feral Nicety

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

DH said to me if I ask you to marry me will you?  And I said yes.  Last of the old romantics he is.

No ring, we were married 6 months later.

#3 Excentrique Feral

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

we came to a decision together. same way we discuss everything important now. original.gif

a formal proposal came after, but its that time discussing it together which is a much more special memory to me.

#4 livvie7586

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

i worked in a jewellery store, i knew his budget, and found a ring i loved instore that fitted the budget.  i layby'd it, gave him the receipt, and he paid it off.  we then just accepted that we were engaged (don't worry, we did much the same when we started dating, i still tease him he never actually asked me out, he did end up asking me to marry him when pregnant with DS, by that stage though it was just a formality).

wedder/eternity were chosen exactly the same way, i knew what i wanted and he just went along with it

#5 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

Not married but am engaged...

We talked about getting married once day... his actual proposal was a surprise. He didn't do it with a ring because he knew that I wanted to use Mum's diamond. He proposed with a box of chocolates and a homemade card  wub.gif

#6 DreamFeralisations

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

He popped the question in a very informal setting with little forethought - I said maybe and we discussed it and then went and chose a ring together.

#7 Jekaho

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

We talked about marriage while we were dating, even did a pre-marriage course together. He said he would propose by the end of the year. But I didn't know when it would happen. It was December 18th, and a surprise with the timing and how it was done.

The ring was my grandmother's, so he'd had to see my parents (to ask their blessing) and then go with my Dad to see my grandparents and get the ring before asking me! I knew nothing about all that part until after we were engaged.

#8 WhimsicalDragonfly

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

We openly spoke about wanting to get married so it was on the cards, the proposal though was a complete surprise.  I know it sounds improbable but I really was surprised. It was really sweet and something he had been planning and working on for weeks, when he said he was 'working back'!  We chose the ring together (he knew this was my preference, and I think it took a lot of pressure off him).

#9 elle-M

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

We had talked about it a lot before, I knew it would happen one day. He surprised me with a bended knee proposal in the ocean with a ring he'd designed himself.

Very lucky girl!! We are coming up to our third wedding anniversary this month and have baby #3 on the way  biggrin.gif

#10 TheCeriseClupea

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

We had no engagement. A few months before the July school holidays 9 years ago we decided to get married when we had all our kids together. We spent 2 months running around getting all the dresses & suits & then when the holidays came around we picked up his 2 children.As we were leaving their mothers place we said "oh by the way we are getting married in 3 days". Sadly she is the kind of person to sabotage special things so we left her little time for any drama. All the kids were over the moon & it was a great day, we married in our backyard with family & friends present. About 6 years ago my husband told me my hand looked strange without an engagement ring so I chose a nice plain gold & Amethyst ring to keep him happy.

#11 Fienna

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

We discussed and decided together. When telling people I said 'we came to a mutual agreement to get married', which a lot of people didn't get and thought wasn't romantic because there was no big proposal. But I wasn't sure how else to describe it!

#12 mombasa

We had a surprise engagement, DH took me away for the weekend, I had absolutely no idea.

#13 cb2

We had spoken about getting married, or more like we didn't want to be with anyone else as we had found pur someone special. I had no idea when the proposal would take place. DH chose the ring on his own, asked my parents permission and took me away for a weekend where he popped the question original.gif I loved the ring he chose, he has very good taste in jewerlley original.gif

#14 opethmum

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

We wanted to get married about 3 months in but waited for another 3 months so it would not be such a shock to everyone in our respective families. We had our engagement close to Christmas and he proposed at my favourite place in Sydney at night and it was perfect! He nicked off with the ring my mother gave me to get the ring size right and the rock was perfect!

#15 Guest_AllegraM_*

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (Hunca Munca @ 01/01/2013, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We discussed and decided together. When telling people I said 'we came to a mutual agreement to get married', which a lot of people didn't get and thought wasn't romantic because there was no big proposal. But I wasn't sure how else to describe it!

This was us too. We found out we were on the same track in life and had similar goals  and values and it seemed a natural progression. DH did a basic proposal but it was a mere formality. He had chosen the ring and it was lovely.

Engaged for 9 months, coming up to 4 years marriage.

#16 Ella Minnow Pea

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

We'd talked about it in a round-about way, but he wouldn't let the conversation get to the definitive 'so let's get married' stage. I'd never thought of myself as a being-proposed-to type, so never really expected the traditional proposal, but that's what he had planned.NYE, a bit after midnight, walking back from seeing the fireworks in the city, he insisted we take a short detour to a spot that has a good view of the city (and also happened to be the place we first kissed). He then got out a ring and tried to get down on one knee and propose, but i made him stay standing and barely let him get a word out before i was saying yes and crying like a little girl. Ring-wise, it may have been better for him to wait for me to help, as the ring was way too big for me to wear (and took 4 weeks to get resized) and.... Wasn't quite my style... but i'm not a jewelry person anyway. It's a bit too high set and i would always take it off as soon as i got home cos i was afraid of it catching on something. however I wore it proudly until we got married, and now just wear my wedding ring all the time and save the engagement ring for special occasions. I love it though, because it is beautiful, and he picked it for me.

#17 andyk

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

We talked about marriage a few times, 2.5yrs in I saw a ring i liked and showed him the style I liked (a band not a high setting) so he bought the ring there and then put it away. About 6 months later he finally had some time off so we went away. Unbeknownst to me he had called dad and asked permission. One night we went for a late night walk on the beach, he went down on one knee and proposed, ring box in hand. Was lovely.

We then did IVF before we got married, so we waited about 2 years in between engagement and marriage.

#18 BadCat

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

He came to Sydney to pick me up after my trip to Africa.  He had booked us into a penthouse suite at Darling Harbour.  He dropped (or more accurately rose) to one knee in the double spa bath and proposed, giving me an engagement bracelet.  I don't like rings.

I knew he was planning to propose when I got back from my trip since I told him he wasn't allowed to do it before I left.  I didn't realise he would go all out for it though.

Oh, there were also champagne and choc dipped strawberries involved.   original.gif

#19 BetteBoop

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

In 2004, we went overseas. I knew he was planning to ask me, even though I'd said many times that I didn't want to get married. He was so nervous and eager that I could just tell what he had in mind.

I actually saw the ring box fall out of his backpack (we trekked and were always pulling things out of our packs in awkwards places) but it took him another week to ask.  He was anxious the whole time. I could tell he was worrying about finding the perfect, most romantic spot to ask.

We passed through a lot of gorgeous natural scenery but he kept on waiting. Eventually, we were eating dinner at some cheesy Americanised restaurant in Chang Mai and he just blurted it out.

#20 FearsomeFeralFreak

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

We had already traveled the world, bought a house, bought an investment property together so it was pretty clear we were on the same path. We discussed it and agreed. Then we eloped.
No engagement ring, I preferred to spend the money on travel.

#21 Duck-o-lah

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

We always knew we'd get married, we used to look at rings and he'd guess what I liked.

He got a job interstate which would require him to move out of our place fairly promptly, leaving me behind to finish up our lease. He came into my work one afternoon and dropped to one knee in the middle of the store and proposed. My boss gave me the arvo off wink.gif

He buggered off and left me to tell my parents by myself (who were overseas at the time) laughing2.gif

#22 elmo_mum

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

lol
dh came home from the city one day and said - ive put a deposit on a ring

i laughed at him (as you do)
he told me it was a solitaire, i told him i dont do solitaires....

we then started half assed talked about things...

i told hom i wanted to get married at the zoo... we ended up looking on line at it cos he didnt belive me you could get married there...we also spoke to his uncle (who would marry us) about dates.. and booked the zoo...

2 weeks later, we went out for dinner and he produced the ring!! and yes, he still shocked me!

i thought we would choose it together...

#23 CupOfCoffee

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

I had never wanted to be married, and I had made that perfectly clear.

Then one day I was on the bus (only 6 months after my partner moved in with me (and my son) and I thought... I could spend the rest of my life with him.

So I get to work and I email him: 'we should get married'.  

He thought I was joking and responded: 'why would I want to marry you'.

I didn't respond.

He rang me at lunch and asked if I was serious, and I said no, and he said to ask him again, and I said no, get stuffed jerk  laugh.gif

Eventually I did ask again, and we got married 6 months later.

We are neither mature, or conventional laugh.gif

Edited by CupOfCoffee, 01 January 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#24 seayork2002

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

My husband (now! original.gif) proposed after we had been together 6 months off the coast (NE of England) on a boat, due to separate circumstances it took us nearly 2 years after that to be married.

Edited by seayork2002, 01 January 2013 - 03:50 PM.

#25 erindiv

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE (CupOfCoffee @ 01/01/2013, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had never wanted to be married, and I had made that perfectly clear.

Then one day I was on the bus (only 6 months after my partner moved in with me (and my son) and I thought... I could spend the rest of my life with him.

So I get to work and I email him: 'we should get married'.  

He thought I was joking and responded: 'why would I want to marry you'.

I didn't respond.

He rang me at lunch and asked if I was serious, and I said no, and he said to ask him again, and I said no, get stuffed jerk  laugh.gif

Eventually I did ask again, and we got married 6 months later.

We are neither mature, or conventional laugh.gif

That made me giggle Tounge1.gif

According to DBF we are engaged but not 'officially' as we don't have a ring. I've told him I won't be done out of a romantic proposal that easily!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Why are there so few sexy maternity bras?

Rather than feeling ashamed of their post-baby bodies, women should be free to buy lingerie that makes them look attractive and pretty - no matter what stage of life they're in.

Toddler Alliyah one step closer to first trip home

She has lived the first 14 months of her life in a hospital intensive care unit, but Alliyah Broadby's parents hope to finally take their little girl home with them.

'Put people before IVF profits': IVF pioneer Alan Trounson

IVF could be done for hundreds of dollars in Australia instead of $8500 if clinics stopped charging what ''the market will handle'', a pioneer of the technology says.

Expectant parents urged to swap the pub for bub

Nearly one in five women drink while pregnant, but a current campaign is trying to drive down that unhealthy statistic.

Nutella supplies threatened by bad weather

There's bad news for fans of Nutella, the gooey, chocolatey hazelnut spread.

The cost of growing your own vegies

Does it make financial sense to grow your own veggies, or are you better off ordering produce from the local food co-op?

Breastfeeding mums less likely to suffer from PND, but all need support

A new study has shown the a complex relationship between a mother?s intention to breastfeed, her ability to do so, and postnatal depression.

The #loveyourlines Instagram account taking on body issues

A new Instagram account, LoveYourLines, has put the call out for to change the way we view stretch marks.

Mum gets diploma 51 years after being thrown out of school over pregnancy

Sandra Lantz was about six months pregnant and four months from graduation when she was forced to leave high school. Now, more than half a century later, she has finally graduated.

The lowdown on male midwives

How would you feel about having a male midwife assist your baby's birth? For a growing number of mums, the idea is a reality - and the experts all agree that it's something that should be encouraged.

Bomb threat at daycare centre

Worried parents took to social media yesterday after their children's daycare was evacuated due to a bomb threat.

Unusual celebrity baby names

Celebrities love to use their imaginations when it comes to naming their kids! Here's a gallery of some of the most memorable monikers in show biz families.

5 fears I've overcome since becoming a mum

Motherhood has a way of putting any phobias you had pre-parenthood into perspective: you either realise they?re a pointless waste of energy or they simply vanish in a sleep-deprived haze.

Mums review the Dymples range from Big W

The Big W Dymples range offers parents a vast selection of quality products to keep their little ones happy and healthy. We asked the Real Mums Test Drive team to review some items - here's what they said.

Recall: Another cot deemed unsafe

Parents are being warned to check their baby's cot is not one of those which have been recalled in recent weeks due to safety concerns.

The truth about breastfeeding and weightloss

Celebrities often state that their post-baby weight loss is down to breastfeeding, and breastfeeding alone. But that's not the reality for all women.

10 weird things little kids do

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. It's usually nothing to worry about, but every now and again you might find yourself scratching your head and asking, ?Really? Is that really a thing??

The app that helps detect signs of autism

Parents can assess their children's progress at critical developmental stages, thanks to this new app.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

She went to a doctor complaining of stomach pains, then had an unexpected operation to remove a decades-old fetus.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.