Help with girls name

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 kuhla

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

I am pregnant with #4 girl.

Finding a name is so hard this time because we are involving the other three children in the decision (at the end of the day it will be mine and DP though of course)  They are 12, 11 and 8 yrs old.   Their names are Amelia (nn Milli), Maleika (nn Miki) and Kiara (nn Ra or Kikki).  

These are the names that have so far made the list:
Tamsin
Sienna
Danica
Annika
Willow
Aria
Vayda
Savannah
Lola
Arianna
Zara
Piper
Quinn
Acacia
Zailee

My DP says I have too many rules.  Maybe I do.  Some names on the list break my own rules!   I don't want a K or M or T name.  I would prefer a name that ends in a sound like 'a' or 'er' to match the others.  Nothing too common.  Simple spelling.  The middle name will possibly be Cheri (family name).  Last name is a common name starting with M (different last name to other daughters)

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

#2 kerilyntaryn

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

I'd keep with the a ending,  and since the others have a m or k in it,  I'd include it with this one too and 3 syllables

Saskia
Danika
Erika
Tamara
Nikita
Tamika
Camilla
Samara
Samira
Jemima

Edited by kerilyntaryn, 01 January 2013 - 02:43 PM.

#3 la di dah

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

Zara is really nice and my favourite of your list. Then Danica. Both seem to fit your criteria well.

I would have thought not wanting popularity would scratch Piper, Savannah, Sienna, and Willow. Have you considered Susannah or Sabrina as an alternative to Savannah/Sienna that are simple to spell but less on-trend?

I like Willow but it is very popular. Willa?

Aria and Ariana are spiking in the States, don't know what they are doing here but I suspect they'll go upward. Don't know if that bothers you.

I suspect Vayda has many many Darth Vader jokes in her future, unfortunately. Viviana, Valeria, or Veronica might be easier?

#4 Magnus

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Tamsin is by far my favourite from that list.

#5 la di dah

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE (EHB @ 01/01/2013, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would continue with the style of your other names Kuhla.

I love this:

Leilani ( Lailai  for nn)

I like this.

I also like Leikela, which someone recently recommended to me, and carrying on with similar multi-syllable flowing names there's:

Eliana or Iliana
Quintana
Aaliyah
Eliora
Aurora
Zuzana
Zakia/Zakiya
Thalassa
Tatiana
Tallulah

#6 4kidlets

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

Leikela and Maleika are too much together IMO.

I also wouldnt do Zara as Zara and Kiara rhyme too much for me.

So, keeping in mind that you already have DD's Amelia, Maleika and Kiara:
from your list I like Sienna, Savannah, Tamsin and Danica the best.

All go fine with existing sibset.

Most of the other names are ok but those are my favourites

#7 la di dah

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

That's true, Leikela might be too close then and Leilani might be better. Was trying to think of ones that end in -a.

I don't hear the issue with Kiara and Zara though? unsure.gif I mean I'm not sure I'd be married to the ends-in-a theme but the OP likes it and the shared -ara ending thing doesn't bug me.

I've heard of Iolana/Iolani and I like those. I also like just simple Lara/Lana/Leah but they may be too simple?

#8 Eirinn

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

Zara is the only one I like on your list, it's lovely. How do you pronounce Kiara though?

#9 4kidlets

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

Ok,  I was assuming Kiara is pronounced Kee ara  - and so Zara haveing same -ara end seems too similar to me.

Something else ending in -ra (say, Laura,) would be fine  but not -ara sound names like Zara/Lara/Tara.

#10 kuhla

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

Kiara is pronounced Kee-ara so Zara isn't too close but I'm happy it was pointed out because I'll probably cross it off my list now.  

We all love the name Tamsin the best but my and the other girls last name begins with T so Im sure this baby will be mistaken with it.  Also its last name starts with M and rhymes with Spartan (common - not hard to guess) so both end in -in.  

I am terrible it seeing names and pronouncing them so could you help me with Quintana and Zakia/Zakiya

I also love the name Leilani but it's a good friend of mines daughters name so it's off the list too sad.gif

Do you prefer Danica or Danika?

#11 Gudrun

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

I like 4 or 5 of the names in your list but they don't seem to fit your criteria.

Suggestions:

Yolanda
Allira
Elida
Evita
Galina
Helinka
Ignatia
Ismena
Isolda
Liora
Lakisha
Venetia
Lyrica
Oksana
Perdita
Rosalba
Renuka
Rowena
Ulissia
Valeska
Viveka
Ximena
Sabina
Soraya
Serena
Simona
Sequoia
Winona
Yasmina
Zamira
Zaphira

#12 kerilyntaryn

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE (kuhla @ 01/01/2013, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kiara is pronounced Kee-ara so Zara isn't too close but I'm happy it was pointed out because I'll probably cross it off my list now.  

We all love the name Tamsin the best but my and the other girls last name begins with T so Im sure this baby will be mistaken with it.  Also its last name starts with M and rhymes with Spartan (common - not hard to guess) so both end in -in.  

I am terrible it seeing names and pronouncing them so could you help me with Quintana and Zakia/Zakiya

I also love the name Leilani but it's a good friend of mines daughters name so it's off the list too sad.gif

I say stick to the A ending for this one,  I love Danika as the others have either a m or k in their name

#13 Gudrun

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

If you decide you don't mind that Tamsin begins with a 'T' and does not end in an 'a'...

then you might consider Tamasin or Tamasine or Tamarin.

These all have the advantage of having 3 syllables over 2 to go with the sisters.

And once you have the added syllable it matters no longer that it ends with an 'n' like the surname.

It overcomes the sing-songy problem of same endings because the first name and surname have a different number of syllables.

Re Danica and Danika.   Danica would often be [duhnITsah] in countries of origin. If you want [DANikah]
then I would go Danika.

#14 tam1234

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

What beautiful names - if I was to have another girl I would start with your list!  I don't have any comments to help you choose just one, but I think any would lovely.

#15 lovepink

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

From your list I really like:

Tamsin
Sienna
Danica (dan-nick-ah OR da-knee-cah??)
Annika
Willow
Aria
Savannah
Lola
Arianna
Piper

Here are some more suggestions that hopefully fit your rules!

Amellia, Maleika, Kiara and Briar Cheri
Amellia, Maleika, Kiara and Harper Cheri
Amellia, Maleika, Kiara and Harlow Cheri
Amellia, Maleika, Kiara and Indigo Cheri
Amellia, Maleika, Kiara and Indiana Cheri
Amellia, Maleika, Kiara and Krista Cheri (Trista Cheri)
Amellia, Maleika, Kiara and Leticia Cheri
Amellia, Maleika, Kiara and Harleigh Cheri
Amellia, Maleika, Kiara and Odette Cheri
Amellia, Maleika, Kiara and Giselle Cheri
Amellia, Maleika, Kiara and Scarlett Cheri
Amellia, Maleika, Kiara and Luella Cheri

#16 la di dah

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE (kuhla @ 01/01/2013, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Quintana - Quint-ana or in Spanish, Keen-tana. Ana like Lana not like Anna. I was thinking of the Quinn-pronunciation, because you had Quinn on your list which is adorable but so much shorter than your other daughter's names. And you could still use Quin as a nickname. And how often do I get to recommend Q names? wink.gif

Zakia/Zakiya - Za-kee-yah.

#17 4kidlets

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

I just had another thought - if you like Tamsin but prefer a ending and 3 syllables, what about Tamika?  
Similar to Tamsin but suits surname better.
gorgeous name too wub.gif
Maybe too similar sound to Maleika though??
Or what about Tamara - not as good with surname though as has -mara Mar running into each other a bit.
PS I have always heard Danika as dan ee ka, not dan ick a, ie same ending as Tamika

#18 MooGuru

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

I know a Tasmina and Jasmina. Tas's name is very similar to Tamsin.

#19 Ingrid the Swan

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

I like Annika and Quinn on your list, and like PP's suggestion of Willa.

#20 kuhla

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

Willa is definitely being thought about.

#21 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

I love Danica or Annika.
What about Neka?

Also love the suggestion of Tamika or Taneesha.

#22 ~buzz~

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:56 AM

These are the names that have so far made the list:
Tamsin - ok
Sienna - love
Danica - dislike
Annika - dislike
Willow - like
Aria - love
Vayda - really dislike
Savannah - like
Lola - like
Arianna - love
Zara - like
Piper - ok
Quinn - love
Acacia - dislike
Zailee - like prefer Zali spelling though

Aria or Quinn would be my picks original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.