How much do babies eat?
Trying to figure out serving sizes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chickenpants

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

Just to begin, Happy New Year!

I'm wanting to start my little dude on some real foods shortly, so I'm going to get myself sorted and make some purees to start with.

I'm trying to figure out how I want to go about things.  I was initially thinking of making purees of singular veges/fruits (eg, pumpkin, sweet potato, peas, carrots, chicken & gravy, apple, pear,  etc..) and then pouring them into icecube trays to make little individual servings of each so I can do them as separate fruit/veg or combine them to make up a meal as I feel like it.

Or, should I just make up some set meals and freeze them in larger portion sizes? (Larger as in a small container rather than in icecubes)
eg. Potato, peas, chicken  |  potato, pumpkin, carrot  |  peas, carrot, broccoli

Edited by chickenpants, 01 January 2013 - 09:48 AM.

#2 tidey2

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

While you're introducing foods I'd go with the ice cube tray. You can just pop out a cube at a time so there is no wastage until you get an idea of how much your little one will eat.

#3 katrina24

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

Yep, I did the ice cube size too. I started with single ingredient veges(one cube at a time) and increased with their appetite.  Once they had been eating single ingredient for a while I introduced combos by just mixing cubes together.  It was a while before they started on meals (but both of mine started solids not long after 4 months so I imagine older bubs would progress quicker).

#4 Tesseract

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

Babies do not, as a general rule, need puréed food. You can just feed them what you're eating. As long as what you're eating is not overly salty. The only things I avoid are raw carrots, raw apple and whole nuts because of the risk of chocking, basically everything else is fine. We did this was DD - put her in highchair, give her food (cut into long pieces at first so she can hold one end and eat the other), watch the fun. No extra preparing, no storing and no stress about intake because she controls it all. Look into baby-led weaning if you're interested.

#5 Just-one-more

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE (Tesseract @ 01/01/2013, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Babies do not, as a general rule, need puréed food. You can just feed them what you're eating. As long as what you're eating is not overly salty. The only things I avoid are raw carrots, raw apple and whole nuts because of the risk of chocking, basically everything else is fine. We did this was DD - put her in highchair, give her food (cut into long pieces at first so she can hold one end and eat the other), watch the fun. No extra preparing, no storing and no stress about intake because she controls it all. Look into baby-led weaning if you're interested.

Same here. We didn't do purees we just gave finger food from the time they were ready.

#6 Feral_Pooks

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

The ice cube idea is a really good one, you can mix and match for variety.

Sometimes babies don't eat much, some are variable in their appetites from day to day. So small portions are good, you can always quickly zap another cube if baby is still hungry, but you save the waste on bigger portions.

I found yoghurt and baby cereals to be very cost effective and went down well in those early days too. I just used Jalna full cream vanilla flavour, and I eat it too original.gif

#7 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

I did the purée thing for my DS, using the ice cube trays. Best thing ever.

With DD, I did the same in bulk quantities .... Which she has totally rejected in favour of finger food only. Annoying!

#8 mandala

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

We did baby-led weaning too, but I did do purees/mashed to use as pasta 'sauce', or as fillings for sandwiches. I would freeze in icecube trays.

DS was a huge eater (everyone comments on it) and would eat two pieces of toast for breakfast, with 1-2 of those cheap Ikea bowls full for lunch and dinner.

Small servings are the way to go!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.