Spin off "How much would you spend on a pair of shoes/"

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 sammyv

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

I love shoes have over 70 of them.  How much would you or have you spent on a pair of shoes?

Would you spend more on a everyday shoes or a pair that was special?

#2 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

I'd spend around $100 for everyday shoes (flat sandals in my case), or around $200 for boots/dress shoes/sneakers.

I only have about 8 pairs.  I have back pain and hard-to-fit feet, so I don't really indulge in pretty shoes, just comfortable ones.

If I was working, and didn't really care about my feet or spine, I'd spend way more original.gif

Edited by SlinkyMalinki, 01 January 2013 - 08:57 AM.

#3 Taystee

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

One day I will buy an amazing pair of Louboutins or Manolo Blahniks. But for now, my most expensive pair of shoes ever has been $300 (knee high boots). I generally spend $100-150 for shoes- ballet flats and sandals.

I have about 30 pairs of shoes.

#4 R2B2

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

I feel bad spending $30 on shoes!!! in saying that, if I find something I love (which is rare because I HATE shoes) i'll spend up to $100 I guess?!

#5 liveworkplay

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

The most I have spent on a pair of shoes is $300. (prekids gorgeous knee high black boots) I tend to buy a really good pair of work shoes every couple of years at about $200. I have am a size 10/11 so it is really hard to find cheap, good fitting shoes.

#6 BadCat

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

About $50.  More than that and I feel like they are too expensive for an item that I hate anyway.

#7 ekbaby

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

Since having children, the most I've spent on a pair of shoes would be $50.

I usually just wear thongs every day. A good chunk of my shoes, including joggers and a pair of "good" boots, are second-hand hand-me-downs.

#8 ♥~Bodhichitta~♥

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

I've never been a big lover of shoes.

I have 1 pair of slip-on's that I wear until they literally fall apart.  Then buy another pair, and repeat  happy.gif .  I don't spend more than $60 on them (at the very most).

And one pair of sneakers.

I'm pretty simple  happy.gif

#9 sammyv

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

I find that the ones that are cheaper usually don't last as long so economically it was better to spend a bit more. Ie one good pair for a number of years.

#10 =R2=

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

I'd happily spend up to $400 on a pair of leather shoes (not that I own any that are that expensive).

Any more than that is just bordering on extortion no matter how well made it is or where they come from.

#11 ubermum

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

$200 on black leather knee high boots was my all time high a couple of years ago.

Other than that, the only shoes I would spend so much on is work shoes. I am on my feet for at least 8 hours a day and sometimes have to push and pivot heavy things. When I had cheap shoes, I had sore knees. I bought expensive, purpose designed shoes, and my knees got better. Dressy, going out shoes, I might spend up to $150, but work shoes, the sky's the limit. Outside of work times, I live in runners and Birky sandals.

#12 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

Ive never paid more than $50 for a pair. Have some where their rrp was $150, I paid $30
I seem to pick up really good deals all the time and never paid retail.

#13 tel2

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

Usually between  $100 and $250.

Due to problems with feet at birth I can only wear 3 types of shoes comfortably....Dr Marten boots, Converse All Stars and Adidas sneakers.

converse and the adidas sneakers (around $100 each) I usually buy every 2 years. The Dr Marten boots (around $250) I buy every 5 years or so...they last forever.

#14 Therese

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

I think the most I have ever spent is $150.

#15 unicorn

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE (sammyv @ 01/01/2013, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I find that the ones that are cheaper usually don't last as long so economically it was better to spend a bit more. Ie one good pair for a number of years.

This ^^^

Quality over quantity, I'll happily spend $300 - $400 on a good pair of shoes, I will expect to get many years wear out of them.

#16 Iris37

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

On a pair of shoes, no more than $50

#17 CountryFeral

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

The most I have ever spent was $400++ (in 1996 I'll add!) on a gorgeous pair of hiking boots. They were Italian and a lovely rich burgundy leather, fitted like a glove.

I still remember my friend's dad commenting "Bloody oath! At that price I'd want them to be doing the walking for me!"

I wore them about 300 days of the year for nearly four years - up mountains, through raging river, across cobbled streets, (even to night clubs!)and they were the most comfortable things I've ever had. I cried when they finally gave up the ghost.

Like a PP I have weird, hard to fit feet (tiny but really wide - like a hobbit really) so my shoe purchasing is curtailed by 'does it fit?' 'is it comfortable?'

I would love to own beautiful shoes but I don't.  One day when I'm really wealthy I'll get my beautiful grown up ladies shoes hand made.  (my Auntie in the UK gets one pair every third to fifth year - she is a 2 and can never ever get nice shoes in her size.... they cost around $1500 a pair)

The last shoes I bought were a sky blue pair of gym boots for $15 from the kids section in Best and Less but I've not worn them yet. (waiting for a 'special occasion')

#18 .Jerry.

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

My most expensive shoes are RM Williams boots, so about $400.
I recently bought a pair of sandals for $200.  They would be hated on EB - they are daggy yet comfy Merrells.  
I usually wear TEVA sandals which are about $140.
I go for comfort, not style.
I own few shoes.

#19 Shanski

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

The most I have ever spent is $500 for a pair of amazing pink italian leather handmade dress thongs (about 9 years ago and they still look brilliant)

I usually spend around $100 - $150 for special occasion shoes and around the $50 - $80 mark for everyday/flat shoes.

I do love shoes and granted since having children 4 years ago, have only bought one pair of special occasion shoes and 2 pairs of everyday shoes, but once the kids get older and I don't have to run after toddlers anymore I will be back into buying more fancy shoes to wear for everyday use.

#20 Feral_Pooks

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

Maybe $50, tops.

#21 vanessa71

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

I am quite fussy about the quality of shoes, I definitely go quality over quantity. I am not so fussed on the quality of summer sandals, I bought some a few days ago that were Diana Ferrari, they were $40, marked down from $119. I would never have paid full price for them.

DH bought a pair of shoes for me as part of my Christmas present, they were on sale for $475 and I know they will last. I have many pairs that are around 10 years old and are still in great condition. I guess I generally don't mind paying more for boots, however I have 2 pairs and combined they only set me back $120, if they are selling the size 42s cheaply, I'll happliy take advantage.

I have been disappointed over the last few years with the quality of shoes from stores such as Wittner, I remember they used to be great quality, made in Italy and for a reasonable price. They are still a reasonably good price, but not for the quality that is unfortunately now made in China. Yes, they're still leather, but there is such a difference. I did have my eye on a pair of yellow shoes from Wittner that I saw online, but once I saw them in person, I knew they weren't for me, they just felt cheap.

#22 ~Winter~

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

I think the most I've spent on one pair would be $100 on my wedding shoes - dark pink satin wedges which I plan on wearing again and again!

For a good pair that is actually comfortable and won't fall out of fashion in one season, I would probably spend the same. Maybe more on boots.

#23 AnnoyingAnt

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

I find getting a good fit hard so it's not so much how much I will pay but how much I "have" to pay to get something to fit. Usually this is around the 200ish mark- fortunately shoes last me for a long time. Curse the poor range of shoes available here in Australia!

#24 ilovejellybean

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

The most I've spent on a pair of shoes is $250 and they were my wedding shoes. Bags however are my weakness, I just bought a $700 Ferragamo bag which was on sale down from $1500.

#25 lexington

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE (Stan the Fan Man @ 01/01/2013, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One day I will buy an amazing pair of Louboutins or Manolo Blahniks. But for now, my most expensive pair of shoes ever has been $300 (knee high boots). I generally spend $100-150 for shoes- ballet flats and sandals.

I have about 30 pairs of shoes.

Just do it! You won't regret it!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.