Why don't people like donating to charity shops?

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 luke's mummu

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

I've read a few posts on EB recently where posters have said they don't want to donate their old baby stuff to charity/op shops.

I was wondering why not? I regularly donate stuff and will browse and occasionally buy stuff there as well. Even though we are not "poor" by my standards. I also buy 2nd hand clothes from the school uniform pool because my son wears them out very quickly and/or draws on them with texta.

Interested to hear why/why not.

Thanks Lisa

#2 Jenferal

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

I do because none of my friends have kids and I don't have the room to store stuff.
I don't shop in them much though, but might browse in case my 2yr old sees a toy she might like.

#3 Chocolate Addict

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

I do but I will not donate to the Salvos ever again. I had a boot full of stuff in really good condition but they turned it down without even looking at it. They only wanted the latest release books and weren't interested in any toys or clothes without even looking at them.

I had the same problem with them when clearing out my Grandfathers house, if a mattress was not like brand new they wouldn't even look at it. We ended up throwing a lot of stuff away. sad.gif

I only donate to Diabetes Australia now as they take almost anything and seem grateful for it. They also collect from you without any hassle and when they say they will.

The Salvo's have left a sour taste in my mouth for many reasons.

#4 Chchgirl

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

I did. I cleaned out my late dh's clothes etc out of the wardrobe, rang the Salvos and they came and picked the lot up for me. They were fantastic!

#5 luke's mummu

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

Chocolate Addict - did they come to your house or car to collect stuff?

Wow that is a shame they didn't even look at all of your stuff.

Our Salvos have a drop off point (business hours only) and I just leave stuff there in bags/boxes - they don't look thru it in front of you.

#6 tickledpink72

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

I personally wont donate to any charity with any religious affiliation.

#7 Jenferal

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

I use the Salvos because I can park the car right next to the drop off point(and i don't need to get my toddler out) and they help me get the stuff out of the car.
I think as long as they help people in need I'm not that fussed on their religious affiliations.
Our local Vinnies is almost impossible to put bags of goods in as they little shoot things are TINY.
Re the mattress thing, it's pretty common to NOT take old mattresses as they can be a health risk and not many people want to sleep on old scungy mattresses. Would you?

The thing which DOES annoy me, is that pretty much no charity will take the old cathode ray TV;s, they only want flat screen ones. Perfectly good TV's going to landfill annoys me.

#8 casime

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

I took a heap of stuff in the other day, including a baby swing in brand new condition (literally used it about six times, DS hated it) and the woman told me off because I didn't have batteries in it.   rolleyes.gif

#9 luke's mummu

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE (casime @ 31/12/2012, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I took a heap of stuff in the other day, including a baby swing in brand new condition (literally used it about six times, DS hated it) and the woman told me off because I didn't have batteries in it.   rolleyes.gif

I was looking at the dandelion network website and it says to remove batteries from all products! You can't win can you????

#10 Daisy Goat

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:37 PM

i wont because it is resold at ridiculous prices. To the point that people can go to Big W and Best and Less etc and buy new stuff.

I much prefer to hand them to someone who needs them and appreciates them for something they would otherwise be unable to have at all

#11 IsolaBella

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

Our old CRT TVs went to a local nursing home.

I am passing my things down to my sister, but have said if there is anything not to her taste to donate to local women's refuge.

#12 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:40 PM

All our furniture is crap and second hand  and not worth donating to charity, so I've only ever donated clothes. Any good clothes I try to sell on eBay but otherwise I just whack them in the bins at the park. No idea what charity it is for though.

#13 katiebear26

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (Chocolate Addict @ 31/12/2012, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do but I will not donate to the Salvos ever again. I had a boot full of stuff in really good condition but they turned it down without even looking at it. They only wanted the latest release books and weren't interested in any toys or clothes without even looking at them.

I had the same problem with them when clearing out my Grandfathers house, if a mattress was not like brand new they wouldn't even look at it.

i used to work for a charity (not salvos) with op shops and it is actually difficult to solve this dilemma. people want to give all sorts of stuff but they need to accept stuff for the shops that will actually SELL, therefore not stuff that looks threadbare or old stuff that will simply clog up their already full shelves.

think about it - every weekend there are a hundred garage sales in any area where you can buy older books for something like 20c each. why would you go to a salvos store and pay more, but what sort of profit would they make if they sold everything for 20c?

re the mattresses - even giving a struggling family (i.e. not selling) a previously used mattress is a health hazzard. they may not have the best health record so giving them an item that has already been used is dangerous and there have been problems with this in the past. even if your mattress is beautifully clean (which i'm sure it is original.gif ) they just can't be sure of everyone coming through the door with those items, so there is a blanket ban. a ban on blankets for the same reason too, if i'm not mistaken biggrin.gif

walk into your local op shop and take note of what is on the shelves - plates, glassware etc. walk in two months later and you will see a lot of the same stuff, or elsewise it would have been thrown away. any viable retail outlet that has stock on the shelves for that long would not be making enough money to operate. these days even the op shops have to try to be viable, as there's not enough money for charities to prop up poor earning stores.

BTW OP - i haven't had the opportunity yet as DD is only little, but when i do get around to clearing stuff out it will be in this order:

- loaning to friends / family for their DDs (what goes around comes around - multiple times!)
- (maybe) selling at the baby & kids market, especially if #2 is a boy and i don't need the girls stuff anymore
- donation to charity

although having said that a lot of it is so worn already that they probably would have to throw it away sad.gif

#14 epl0822

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

In my experience, sometimes donating to charity organisations is simply not worth the effort.

Recently I attempted to donate excellent quality baby items, amongst many other things, but was rebuffed by the volunteer staff who said the things I wanted to donate were either not being accepted at the moment, or against their policy, and so on. If I still wanted to go ahead and donate, she told me I could come "tomorrow - but before midday." So basically I had to sort out through the donation boxes again and remove whatever items that weren't satisfactory to her, then drive over in the specified time. I was under the impression that when I got there she was going to look through my stuff and make me take back whatever she didn't want. She also gave me such mixed messages about whether she wanted them or not and I didn't want to give away great quality baby items for them to sit forgotten in a storage room.

It puts me off having to go through a grilling process over what I can and cannot give, then having to sort out and repack the various items.

Not all donation experiences have been like this. The best organisations are the ones who will make it easier for people who donate, by coming over and picking up bulk goods themselves. It's nice to have somebody who actually says thanks - it's not like I'm just passing off rubbish for somebody else to deal with. I've donated a lot of goods in the past and they are in great useable condition, potentially worth a lot of money on ebay.

#15 laridae

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

I tend to Freecycle instead - goes straight to the people who need it, they normally pick up, and there is no hassle with certain items not being taken.

#16 Gumbette

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

I donate to charity shops, I'm just picky about which ones.  The one in our area has been featured a few times on ACA & TT for throwing out brand new items with tags attached.  Then there was the time the old guy running the shop literally snatched an item out of mum's hand when she turned around and asked me if I was sure I wanted to donate it.  As a consequence I now drive 20 minutes away just to make sure it goes to a different charity.

#17 Glr-r

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

I donate to charity shops when I don't have emotional attachment to the items - like mine and dh clothes, unused presents etc but for stuff I'm attached to like my kids clothes I usually prefer to pass them onto someone I know, even if I barely know them. I don't know why, it's silly but I find it easy to part with when giving it to someone personally than dropping it in a bin.

#18 MAGS24

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

I don't mind donating but the last few times I have tried to donate clothing and baby items in really good condition, the Salvos wouldn't take them. Now I just try to sell them on Ebay/Gumtree or give to friends.

#19 CallMeFeral

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

Yeah I tend to go freecycle where possible. At least the people getting it actually want it. If I knew for sure the op shops wanted the stuff, I'd do that, as it's charity, but I hear so many stories about stuff they don't want.

#20 Klinkalink

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

I don't donate to charities after being told dismissively that some items weren't good enough (even one still with tags). I now donate all my baby gear to the refugees instead. They are so grateful for absolutely anything, and the families have nothing and no money to buy anything. The beaming smiles from the faces of the refugee mums is worlds apart from the sour looks given to some of our baby clothes by charity/op shop staff.

#21 Chocolate Addict

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

Chocolate Addict - did they come to your house or car to collect stuff?

They come to your house. You ring, organise a time  and they turn up. You just need to leave the stuff out the front by the front door or whatever with "DA' written on it so they know what to take. If it doesn't have "DA on it they will not take it.

Sorry Katiebear but that is BS. Other organisations take the stuff. I went from the Salvo's after they rejected my stuff to another charity and they happily took the stuff, no questions asked.

I will not bother with the Salvo's ever again and no longer give to their door knock appeal for this very reason.

#22 Feral_Pooks

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

I have donated directly to people I come across in need. There is no shortage. I also donate cash to charities whose work I want to support.

But yes, I've gone completely off op shops.

#23 babychacha

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:52 PM

I think these days that clothes are so cheap (kmart, best and less) that the charity shops can't move the slightly worn 2nd hand clothes anymore.

The last time I was in a 2nd hand clothes shop (Vinnies I think), I remember there was a worn plain black tshirt from target selling for $10. Really? And after looking around most of the items were in this category. Ridiculous when you can get the same item brand new in a sale.

Also, I know a lot of charities have problems at this time of year with people just dumping their junk on them and it costs them a lot of money to get rid of it all. I'm thinking particularly of charity bins and bags and bags of stuff being dumped all around it.

I would love to give to refugees.

Is this done via a particular charity/religious organisation?

Edited by babychacha, 31 December 2012 - 10:53 PM.

#24 Natbub0610

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

I think refuges are a great option but because of their purpose, they can't readily advertise there whereabouts.

At least then you know the people receiving the goods are in genuine need and would appreciate the donation.

Op Shops are hard, a lot of them run as 2nd business and as pp said, sometimes it's cheaper to go BigW or Kmart for same thing.

#25 blueteddy

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:28 PM

It is only cheaper to go to Kmart because the Salvos sell things at idiotic prices! If the just put their prices down (some places are okay, but some are honestly pathetic!) they would sell so much more stuff. I know I would shop there much more often, but they would have to literally cut the price in half first.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

Baby for Asher Keddie and Vincent Fantauzzo

Fans followed every step of her on-screen pregnancy in Offspring, now Asher Keddie is going to be a mum in real life too.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong': the fight for Kaden's diagnosis

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reaction to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Empowering bikini photo of 46-year-old mum goes viral

When a group of teenagers made rude remarks about her body as she walked past them in a bikini at the local beach, Julie Cross refused to cover up.

Devastated widow discovers she's pregnant the day before husband's funeral

They had been trying to conceive a baby for seven years. Tragically Kristy Kirchner found out she was pregnant the day before her husband Royce's funeral.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Gabriella Goat sues Peppa Pig

Every toddler's favourite television pig is being sued by an Italian woman who shares a name with a Peppa Pig character.

Meet the Mpregs, the male pregnancy enthusiasts

"Men can't have babies - that's something only women can do! But our community is full of like-minded people who wish otherwise."

Your new motherhood survival kit

Forget about the bright, pretty baby things - while you're in survival mode, all you'll need are the essentials.

More than 100,000 cars recalled globally after death of pregnant woman

The announcement of a mass recall comes as Malaysian police investigate the death of pregnant woman in July.

I had a 'good baby' but still suffered from postnatal depression

I had a much wanted precious baby girl, a 'good baby' who slept well, self settled and was mostly content. It just seemed implausible to think I could succumb to depression.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

'It's not you, it's me': Boston bombing survivor mum to have leg amputated

Rebekah DiMartino is going through a break-up. She even wrote a farewell love letter. But it's not to her husband.

What it's like to go through early menopause

In a cruel twist, Carla had been breastfeeding and perimenopausal at the same time. But she's far from the only one to go through menopause early.

Restaurant served alcohol to two-year-old

Busy restaurants can be forgiven for getting food and drink orders mixed up from time to time, but not when the confusion leads to a two-year-old being served an alcoholic cocktail instead of the child-friendly beverage they ordered.

Julia Morris tells of miscarriage on a flight

Julia Morris has spoken about the devastation of suffering a miscarriage while on an international flight.

Woman's survival after birth 'a story of two miracles'

A US mother is home and tending to her new baby less than a month after surviving without a pulse for 45 minutes.

Eating ice may give mental boost to the iron deficient: study

A new study proposes that, like a strong cup of coffee, ice may give those with insufficient iron a much-needed mental boost.

Tiny lives in caring hands: Thank U NICU Day

Each year in Australia, over 40,000 newborns need the help of a special care nursery or neonatal intensive care unit. One day a year, the staff are honoured by the parents they help through those dark days.

I paid $50,000 to have a girl

This time my husband and I hadn't taken any chances. We had paid $50,000 and travelled 13,000 kilometres to make sure the baby growing inside me was female.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Dear firstborn, I'm sorry

Being a first-time mum is tough for so many reasons – particularly because you really have no idea what you're doing.

A trace of sesame could kill my son

Helen Richardson son's had two anaphylactic reactions in a month. It's traumatic for everyone.

When you know before the test says yes

It wasn't a pregnancy test or missed period that told me I was pregnant with my second baby; it was too early for those things. A doner kebab told me I was going to be a mum again.

What not to do when your partner is in labour

Robbie Williams stole the show during his wife Ayda's labour, pretty much demonstrating everything on the "what not to do when your partner is in labour" list.

Best maternity swimwear and beach cover-ups

Thinking about a tropical babymoon but have nothing to wear? Here are some great swimwear and beach cover-up options for mums-to-be.

Dad breastfeeds his babies

Trevor Macdonald has now been pregnant twice, and is successfully breastfeeding his newest family member.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.