Who is with Virgin Mobile?
any good?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 MintyBiscuit

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

I'm currently with vodafail and looking to switch, and virgin seem to have pretty decent plans and phones. Is anyone with them? Would you recommend them? I figure the coverage has to be better than voda, and the customer service couldn't be much worse . . .

#2 blueberrymuffin

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

DH and I have both been with them (mobiles only) for years, very happy with them.

The only fault was when we tried to get wireless broadband from them *shudder*, but they've been great with our mobiles.

#3 kabailz13

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

DH and I both converted from Telstra (we lived in regional WA previously).

Apart from a couple of data dropout zones, no issues at all. Very happy with them and as long as we stay metro, we will probably stay with Virgin

#4 bluecardigans

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

DH and I have for the past 5 years.  No problems at all. I think the plans are very economical.

ETA - Virgin uses the Optus network.

Edited by Display anemone, 31 December 2012 - 05:28 PM.

#5 ~chiquita~

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

I've been with them for a few years, mainly because everyone I call is with them. Very few issues that I can think about, I rarely call them.

I'd recommend them. original.gif

#6 Hot Pies

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

I've been with them for over 10 years (last 4ish with data plan) and I'm very happy with them.

#7 aidensmum

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

We've been with them for over five years. Very happy with their pricing and coverage. They do free virgin to virgin calls and texts so most of our family have moved. They do a prepaid long expiry which I use to text my husband for free under Virgin to virgin thing. Means costs me $30 pa for unlimited texts to my husband. Will put my kids on same plan when they are old enough to need phones. DH is on a big plan and phones us back if we need to talk. I'm such a cheapskates.

#8 Jekaho

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

Been with Virgin for 6 years. They are pretty good. Coverage decent, plans good. Virgin to Virgin is great. Customer service has normally been fine.

#9 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

Highly reccomended for coverage and price but customer service is woeful if you ever need it.

#10 jewel2

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

Hi,
We have 3 contract phones with Virgin.
Living in rural location and had no problems with reception.

J

#11 MintyBiscuit

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

Thanks everyone original.gif Sounds like it's pretty decent overall

QUOTE (blueberrymuffin @ 31/12/2012, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only fault was when we tried to get wireless broadband from them *shudder*

We had broadband through them when they first started doing it, and it was horrendous. It's really the only reason I was wary about them

#12 MarthaJones

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

I was with Virgin and bailed with 2 months left on my contract. Went to Vodaphone and getting ready to bail from them too.
All useless.
Going to go with iinet next. DH is with them and had no problems.

#13 Feral timtam

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

I'm currently with THINK, I used to be with Virgin and to be honest found the service for Virgin about the same as for Vodafone. I was with Vodafone before going to Virgin.

THINK has better priced plans for me than the other two, I love not having to worry about excess calls or going over my data allowance, I've yet to use more than 2 of my 4Gb data allowance. They also have fantastic customer service, every time I've called them I've had the phone answered by an Australian and the longest I've been on hold was 30 seconds.

Supposedly they piggyback of Vodafone, but I get reception where DH doesn't. We have the same model phone and he's on Vodafone so I'm not sure how that works.

#14 Therese

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

We are both with Virgin and have been really, really happy with them. Their customer service has been fine when we have needed to contact them too.

#15 Shellby

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

Now I am with them they have been fine, but customer service via their phone line is terrible. I ordered my phone and when it never turned up I had so much trouble trying to just get my new phone.

After a month I finally turned to Facebook, and service was great. Found my phone that day, amazing it hadn't even left the warehouse which I had been trying to explain for a month to the people on the phone who wouldn't listen or follow it up, that it must still be there even if the computer tells you it isn't.

The  people off Facebook found my phone, actually called me when they said they would including a Sunday, and then offered some credit towards my account. I also got my phone within 3 days once they found it.

I already was with Optus so service coverage is the same. They had 10 times better plans than Optus which is why I changed. So far I am now happy with them andnjustnhope to never have any issues again, but if I do I now know a better way to get to them and have something done.

#16 jks91

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:42 PM

I have been with virgin for nearly 9 years and all in all I have been happy. Like others have said the customer service via phone is not that great (though probably comparable to vodafone or optus) but in store they are good.  
I do sometimes have data dropouts in non-metro areas but generally it is fine.  

Pricing is excellent and that is why I have stayed.

#17 indigo~

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

Have been with them for my mobile for years and very happy. Would recommend.

#18 lactasticmama

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

I've been with Virgin for 2.5yrs. I've never had a problem with them.

#19 Kaonashi

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

No problems here either. I can't compare to other companies re coverage as I haven't been with another carrier for maybe 10 years. BIL & SIL are with them too and I haven't heard any complaints.

I have heard Telstra has the best coverage but they are also much more expensive. Vodafone sucked 10 years ago and must not have learnt a thing!

#20 wenchwitch

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

I have been with them for 14 months. They haven't managed to get a bill correct so far. The staff are lovely when I speak to them but it seems their back end systems are seriously lacking. I have wasted over 30 hours dealing with them and at this poin will be happy to pay $58 per month not to have to deal with them.

You know how you can get lemon car, well I have a lemon accout with virgin. I so wanted to like them but this is above and beyond pharsical sad.gif

#21 MooGuru

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

I've been with them for about 9 years without a problem, have recommended them several times. DH thinking of changing because of issues with data (not able to do things online, he's a gamer, whilst having good reception and 3G), I don't use data much but when I have no issues. Dh possibly has unrealistic expectations as he's previously changed company 3 or 4 times for same issue.

I haven't had reason to complain about them ever.

#22 cattivo lupo

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:36 AM

I couldn't get reception in my house when I was with virgin, so I've swapped back to vodaphone.  Much happier.

#23 cattivo lupo

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:36 AM

Double post

Edited by cattivo lupo, 01 January 2013 - 06:36 AM.

#24 WhatWouldBuffyDo?

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:58 AM

Another one happy with Virgin here.

#25 anniemandbub

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

I was with Virgin for a few years after being with Optus.  Only issue I had was that sometimes in peak times it would not let me call out.  Something about network capacity being reached and Virgin had lower priority on the network than Optus customers. Happened less frequently by the time I switched again though, network improvements I'd say.  Other than this I was happy.  But I didnt rely on being able to make calls at those times.  

Switched to Telstra because we wanted cable internet, bundling the phone I wanted at the time was a good deal.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The mum who never met her baby

There was one more thing Kymberlie Shepherd wanted to experience in life - motherhood. But a rare illness took her first.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.