146 replies to this topic

#1 Snagglepussed

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

New Year New Thread!

Link to last thread here

Happy New Year to ALL!

#2 CupOfCoffee

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

I am so up and down with these challenges (weightloss in general).

I wish I were more consistent, so that is something I need to work on.

As soon as I say 'just this once' it is all over, be it for food or not going to the gym.  So I need to work on not letting myself keep falling into the same pattern.

#3 Katemeister

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

CupOfCoffee I'm the same. Up and down like a frickin yoyo!! My big thing is if I've planned to exercise and I get a better offer I just blow it off. I need to just have the attitude that that time is not negotiable. Also with food "I will just have one" doesn't exist in my vocabulary, or hasn't until recently. I am getting better with portion sizes.
I think the trick is to not deprive yourself completely and have the attitude of "I can have just one because its not like I will never have the opportunity to have this again"
Sorry for rambling  biggrin.gif

#4 lewis

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

Hi all, my current weight is 62.8kg, I returned from Bali 4 days ago and weighed 64.7 so lost nearly 2kg of carbs since returning......I have NOT been eating well since returning either....my goal weight is 61.5kg and to tone up, loose my belly and bingo wings.

#5 firsttimemummy18

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

Happy new year everyone!! I feel a bit sad that I'm on eb at 11:05 on New Year's Eve, but hey, that's life with young kids at this stage I guess. Never been much of a rager anyway..

But.. I am so proud to say I achieved a weight loss of 1.6 this week! Yay for me! It's the most I've ever lost in a week so I am very happy. Been working very hard for it too. CW 66.3 original.gif

But I need a bit of advice too ladies.. Poor Dh has put on 1kg! He has been eating so well and working out at least once a day.. Sometimes even twice and once three times!! The poor guy is so disheartened.. He's going to have some blood tests done bc this just doesn't seem to be 'normal'. He's honestly been working so hard.  There is a history of diabetes in his fam, do you think this could be a possible reason?

Hope everyone is having a good night!

#6 lewis

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:09 AM

Congrats on your awesome loss this week ftm18! As for our hubby, is he loosing size? Cause sometimes going by the scales isn't always the best way to really see weight loss?

#7 Just Steph

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:04 AM

ph34r.gif

#8 Relish*

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE (Just Steph @ 01/01/2013, 05:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ph34r.gif

Oh you're in big trouble young lady! Just kidding, welcome back! Hope you had a great chrissy and new year etc etc.

It's so flipping hot here I can't stand it! Over a week of 40 degrees plus and I am so over it. So no exercise at all happening here. Plus I'm currently 'surfing the crimson wave', bloated and tired, and all that adds up to me being at my most grumpy. Will weigh in on Friday though and keep fingers crossed til then (I'll need all the help I can get this week!)

Congrats on the loss firsttimemummy! Your DH gaining 1kg could be just normal fluctuation, does he weigh himself at the same time of day every week? DOesn't sound like anything to worry about yet unless it happens a few weeks in a row. It is disheartening though.

Hope everyone has a great New Year's Day, I'm trying hard to be good today to start the year the right way wink.gif

#9 Just Steph

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

It's Lewis' fault Relish original.gif  She convinced me to pop in and join you all again.  My gosh I have put on the weight that I lost which sucks so I will have to work my butt off to drop it again *sigh*

I don't think I will be doing much walking/jogging but will have to get back on my exercise bike at least.

#10 beaglebaby

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

I know I've gained a bit, I worked extra hard before christmas so that it wouldn't be too disastrous.  I'll weigh tomorrow, and then try to get back to where I was in the next week.  Back trying to cut down carbs, and I think we're out of pudding, fruit mince pies, chocolate etc now!

Relish, I agree, too stinking hot!  The aircon at the gym hasn't been working either so that hasn't been particularly pleasant - but I've still made it there every day since boxing day.

Well done FTM18. amazing to still lose over christmas and new year, don't let your husband get too upset, he needs to start doing some measurements etc as he may be gaining muscle, or he may have been retaining fluid (salty christmas ham??) anything really.  As long as the trend doesn't continue it is fine.

Just Steph, if you've done it once you know you can do it again!  Clean eating and a bit of exercise.  I loved a quote from one of the guys at the gym recently - "Forget 80/20, it's 100% diet and 100% exercise".  I'm trying!!

#11 Jessie_T

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

Well the new year is goi g to bring me a lot of changes, but I am going to stick to it........ No sugar!!!!!! I am not looking forward to the withdrawals, but after a month she said I should feel so much better!!!?

#12 Just Steph

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

I'm just so completely unmotivated right now, this is going to be hard to get back into it  sad.gif

#13 MrsDamonSalvatore

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (Just Steph @ 01/01/2013, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm just so completely unmotivated right now, this is going to be hard to get back into it  sad.gif

im in the same boat steph sad.gif if anyone finds my motivation while they are out running, can you send it back to me please? ta!

#14 CupOfCoffee

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE (Just Steph @ 01/01/2013, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The way I am dealing with it at the moment is just looking at each decision as it comes up (instead of looking at it as this huge task that seems insurmountable).

So my husband is eating a bag of m&ms, I just say no (it is just one decision, not too much to face for me).  I will face the next decision when it comes up.

I think every good decision counts.

#15 MrsDamonSalvatore

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

Great idea cup of coffee!!!!

#16 Relish*

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (CupOfCoffee @ 01/01/2013, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The way I am dealing with it at the moment is just looking at each decision as it comes up (instead of looking at it as this huge task that seems insurmountable).

So my husband is eating a bag of m&ms, I just say no (it is just one decision, not too much to face for me).  I will face the next decision when it comes up.

I think every good decision counts.

Definitely, this is my philosophy too. Little wins add.up to big losses. Every time I say 'no thanks' to something naughty I celebrate a little win. That feels good and keeps me motivated because I know it's those little decisions that ultimately led to gaining the weight in the first place.

ETA- Or as Yoda says, 'do or do not, there is no try'  ;-)

Beaglebaby, making it to the gym every day with no AC is amazing, well done! Tomorrow is supposed to be a bit cooler here so I'm going to make myself get back on the cross trainer. Le sigh!

Edited by Relish*, 01 January 2013 - 09:59 PM.

#17 matt1972

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

Happy New Year every one.

Who is up for a January challenge on Endomondo as well as a 2013 challenge? The previous month where it went by calories burned means that it works out fairly no matter what sport or activity you participate in.

#18 MrsDamonSalvatore

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

Matt that sounds good. Hopefully I can use it to motivate me a bit more :-)

#19 beaglebaby

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

Weigh in this morning.  CW 69.6, a gain of 800g over 2 weeks but back below my original target of 70, and a loss of 5.4kg in a month so I'm not too unhappy.  Hopefully I can keep it together and lose that this week.

Cup of Coffee, great philosophy, one decision at a time.

Relish, I hope this cool change really happens, still feels a bit warm this morning.

Two Sunflowers, ouch, you can lose it again though - christmas and new year shouldn't be so close together!!

Matt, I'm happy to cheer on challengers, but I'm just no good at counting cals etc.  

Better get my butt to the gym!  Hopefully the aircon is either on (if the trainers are there they can get it going) or being fixed now that everyone is meant to be back at work!

#20 matt1972

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

No need to count calories Beaglebaby. If you can post on EB you can post on Endomondo

This is the year long challenge http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/7973134

It is open to all sports and anyone who would like to join. You can record calories burnt automatically through the smart phone app or log them manually by inputting the type of exercise and the amount of time doing it.

Endomondo can also be linked to MFP and data transfers automatically.

This is the monthly challenge;
http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/7973305

#21 Relish*

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

Hi guys

I'm 1kg down this week, woohoo! I have tried ramping up my efforts a bit because I'm impatient and also because it's occurred to me our wedding is in less than three months. I'd really like to start playing netball in the winter too and would rather be a teeny tiny bit fit before the season starts!

SW: 78 GW: 73 CW: 75 CL: 3

In other news, I bought a pair of size 12 jeans yesterday and that felt really good! Once I reach my overall goal weight I'd like to buy a pair of fantastic quality, eyeball-stingingly expensive jeans, and they will keep me motivated to keep my ass in them! I might be brave and add a (temporary) pic later after my 10kg loss, but I need to find a before photo - funnily enough I wasn't keen on having my photo taken?! Will have a look and edit later.

Hope everyone has had a great week, thanks for setting up those challenges Matt, I really need to get exercising again soon, so easy to get out of the habit. Have a great weekend guys.

Edit: Sorry these are so big, I'm hopeless at this! Also sorry my head is a bit mingin in the latest shot, I had just got off the cross trainer :S
Before
Pics removed, catch me on MFP wink.gif

Edited by Relish*, 05 January 2013 - 11:52 PM.

#22 Ms K

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

WOW Relish! You look fabulous! You've done an amazing job, its very motivating.

Weighed in this morning 0.5 lighter. Am very happyto be officially a healthy bmi. How is everyone surviving in this heat? Its too hot to exercise here, only positive is that it is to hot for heavy food. Just have to resist the urge for icecream.

#23 hunter4

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

you look fantastic relish - well done on the hardwork.

well done to all the rest of you who have had losses too.  It's not going quite so well here.  I found out that over the last two months I've put on almost 4kg so now I have to try and get all that back off as well.  

Managed to get out for a run for the last two days which has felt great - hopefully I can keep it up.  I'm grumpy though - I've been using the new hear rate monitor and it's actually a bit dissapointing when I run for almost 30 mins and dont even crack the 200 cal mark...also makes the endomondo challenge challenging.  Looks like I'm going to have to significantly up the amount of exercise I do.

#24 Katemeister

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

Relish you look AMAZING!!
Oh the shopping possibilities  wink.gif

#25 beaglebaby

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

WOW Relish, you look great, well done.  I went back and looked at the only photo I know that exists from "before" and I still can't believe I was so big!  It's fun clothes shopping now - I have to remember to only buy things because I REALLY like them, it used to be a case of if it wasn't too expensive and it fitted - buy!

Well done Ms K, into the healthy BMI range is a huge milestone.  I remember how excited I was to get from obese to merely overweight, now I'm between 23 and 24 - never thought I'd get there but will try for slap bang in the middle of healthy!

Hunter, is your HRM working properly?  Try putting the figures for the time and distance you ran in endomondo and see what it estimates your calorie burn to be.  If you really aren't burning many try changing to doing intervals - 100m hard then 200m slow jog etc just to give your HR a boost.  Short sharp cardio is often far more effective.

My weights session on Wed really stirred up my whiplash so I was back at the physio yesterday.  She totally understands why I won't rest and has said I can go back to cardio and controlled weights, no more dynamic stuff though, bugger!  I have signed up for Endomondo, but found it really hard to put in the actual workouts I do, at the moment it might be 40min of mixed cardio (treadmill, bike, crosstrainer and stair machine) and some weights, but then once classes resume they are another matter entirely - totally crazy combos of weights and cardio.

Only managed cardio yesterday, and so far today I've been outside cleaning out mouldy hay from the shed getting ready for a new delivery tomorrow - certainly had me sweating!  Last night was a total blowout with food.  FIL's birthday - pizza, cake and lots of treats.  Anyone else noticed that once you start eating crap you crave more and more?  Have to get back to the good decisions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win Coles Little Explorer nappies for your toddler

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Robbie Williams live tweets wife's labour

And the award for most patient woman in labour goes to ... Robbie Williams' wife, Ayda Field.

Vaccine ignorance is deadly and contagious

In the absence of credible, strong political leadership, paranoia about disease can go viral.

Parenting differently based on birth order

All children have unique personalities, but keeping birth order in mind could help when parenting.

How to get rid of the mum guilt

Motherhood and guilt seem to go hand in hand, but there are ways to focus

Paid parental leave scheme grinds to a halt

The future of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme appears to be up in the air, despite the fact it is due to begin in less than nine months.

The devastation of foetal alcohol spectrum disorders

No one's sure how many Australians are affected by foetal alcohol spectrum disorders, but the consequences for those who are can be devastating.

The pros and cons of finding out the sex of your unborn baby

It’s often one of the biggest choices parents make during the course of their pregnancy; to find out, or not to find out, the sex of their baby before it’s born.

Toddler's awesome dress up month

Two-year-old Willow and her photographer mum, Gina Lee, made October "Dress Up Willow Month". She posted photos of Willow's costumes on her Instagram account, and her creative takes on popular culture are simply adorable.

Childhood around the world

It can be easy to assume our ideas around childhood are universal, but they are particular to where we live, as these practices show.

Best picks for baby and toddler shoes

Here's a great selection of footwear from pre-walker to walker ensuring comfort and style for growing feet.

I lost my wife and daughters to Ebola - then it came for my son

Sunday, September 21, is a day I will never forget.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss. It involves toilet talk, and probably caused my miscarriage. But it needs to be talked about.

Prenatal testing: the facts

Prenatal testing is done to check if a baby has certain medical conditions before birth. Here is some important information about what the tests are for and the risks involved.

5 things to do with your baby?s old clothes

Did you think your only option for your baby?s old clothes was to pack them away or give them to the Salvos? Think again.

Why it's possible to not realise you're pregnant until the baby arrives

After hearing about 'surprise babies' born to mums who didn't know they were pregnant, it's common to ask "how did she not realise?" But experts say it's entirely possible for it to happen.

'My miracle is finally here'

How has the world continued on its pace when mine has been altered so drastically?

Dairy can help older women fall pregnant: study

Ice cream may be the ultimate comfort food, but a study suggests it could also help older women to have children.

Megan Gale goes topless for 'sexiest people' cover

Six months after a heavily pregnant Megan Gale posed nude for Marie Claire, the glowing new mum has gone topless for the cover of another magazine.

A new perspective on life from living with two diseases

A mother shares her personal story about the difficulty of living with two conditions, one of which stops her from being able to see her daughter's face.

Warning about Children's Panadol dosage

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has issued a safety advisory warning parents about confusion when using the dosing syringe supplied with Children's Panadol.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Take 'The Coles Big Nappy Change' Challenge

You could become part of our Test Drive team and win one of 200 packs of Coles Little Explorer Nappies as part of our 5-day challenge.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Weird trend

'Why we called our daughter Wyatt'

Ashton Kutcher has spoken about how he and Mila Kunis chose their daughter's name - and why they've set up her social media accounts.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.