New Year, New Thread!

Link to last thread here

Happy New Year to ALL!!!!

#2 cardcarryingferal

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

GOLD!!

Happy New Year to you too, Snagglepussed  biggrin.gif

Hi all! Hope everyone is well.

AA, keeping it to only a 400g gain over Christmas is pretty impressive in my book! It sounds like you've got a very sensible and healthy approach to losing weight while breastfeeding. And gosh, 2 months has flown by! (perhaps time for a photo update...?  biggrin.gif  )

Spikey, glad to hear your DD is on the mend. And I've always wondered who the nutters are buying Easter things in December, and now I know - it's YOU!  wink.gif

JoIsMe, so lovely to hear from you, I've missed you. Great to hear your DD's sleeping is going well!

dogged, hope you had a lovely Christmas. How are the fishies going?

seepi, lovely to see you. Agree with the others, small and achievable changes are the way to go. With the ideas you mentioned you would find tougher, could you start off small and build up if you're able to, eg. 1 piece of fruit a day, take homemade lunch to work 3 days a week?

mygirlcharlotte, welcome! I'm pretty sure one member here is from Adelaide, but she's not in quite as often as the rest of us chatterboxes  original.gif  Do you think updating your exercise here would help you feel motivated/accountable?

AL, how are things with you? Hope you've had a lovely Christmas.

Happy New Years Eve, everyone! I'm feeling fairly positive and chirpy. I've been menu planning with DP, filled the fridge with healthy food from the markets yesterday (Berry madness: 2 punnets blackberries, 3 x raspberries, 1 x blueberries, and 3 x strawberries = $22! Extravagant, but delicious) and hit the gym with my lovely cousin this morning. I'll be thinking hard tonight about a few achievable resolutions to make. Has anyone here heard of SMART goals? (AA, I assume you may have through work?)

DP and I have never celebrated a NYE together, and I generally don't celebrate it at all, but tonight we're going out for dinner at a nice restaurant in the city; can't wait!

Okay, so I've been thinking about this for a little while, and thought I'd put it out there for the Melbourne girls (and anyone willing to travel, of course!) I wondered if anyone would be interested in doing the Melbourne Age fun run thing with me in July? There's a 5km walk/run option. I thought working towards a goal like that would be good for me.

Anyway, Happy New Year everyone, and here's to a happy and healthy 2013!

#3 seepi

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

Woo Hoo - Silver!!

I have gone with my 1 sugar in coffee resolution - I should be able to keep that one up all year, and also start straight away. I"m going to work on the other stuff too, but more slowly.

I'm also thinking of 10 pushups a day - or maybe 15 sit ups. Better decide before the end of the day I guess.

Cardamom - the berry feast sound fantastic!! We had an italian feast last night for dinner, which the kids enjoyed, but it wasn't exactly as I imagined. We had antipasta entrees, with cucumber cut all sorts of fancy ways and some olives etc. then spaghetti and meatballs, then cake and gelati.

The spaghetti was really just plain spaghetti, red sauce and packet meatballs. The meatballs were a bit big for the plates and the kids didn't have red sauce.

Mr 4 spent about an hour slupring up spaghetti one by one and we had to admire every single piece. Ms 2 ate huge spoonfulls of spaghetti letting 3/4 of it drop onto her chair - then wondered why the dogs were hanging around her! Mr 4 also filled his glass with cucumber and red capsicum after I had put a couple of blueberries in his juice to be a bit fancy.

anyway - they enjoyed it and we watched the schools spectacular, seeing as how no fireworks etc seemed to be on at all.

Ok - off to get organised -  I have cleaning/decluttering resolutions too... Im big on new year's resolutions - can you tell!

Happy New Year to everyone!!!

#4 cardcarryingferal

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

I guess it would be unfair of me to take out the bronze as well...?  tongue.gif

seepi, your Italian feast sounds like loads of fun! I was giggling at the thought of your son putting cucumber and capsicum in his drink. You could always alternate your sit up/push up days if you wanted to do both?

Dinner last night was SO good. Middle Eastern degustation at a fairly fancy restaurant. We had 4 courses, and each had 3 different plates, and it was only $45 each! (Not that that's cheap compared to the local Thai place or similar, but we very rarely go out to eat, so when we do, we tend to go somewhere nice-ish if possible).

My favourites were the fried cauliflower with sultanas (dogged, if that's anything like what your oven roasted cumin cauliflower tastes like, I now see your point!), Persian meatballs with labne, and braised greens. Drool. And now it's over and I'm back to boring lasagne for dinner  ddown.gif

#5 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

I scoop the bronze. biggrin.gif

#6 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

Well then, I'll claim Bronze, since I saw the thread last night, but DS1 kept wanting to steal the iPad, so I had to put it away before the overtired tantrums kicked in.  

Cardamom, that dinner sounds awesome, amd not too heavy/over the top either.  Seepi, yours sounds great, too.  Nothing so special here.  We had leftover casserole and DH and I split a cider between us.  It was one of the Pear Rekorderling ciders.  I had heard lots of people raving about them, but to be honest, I struggled with the sweetness, and was glad to only have half.  

We are hosting a belated Christmas lunch here on Saturday for DH's family.  It will be 7 adults (plus one toddler - DS1).  Can I run my menu past you guys?  

BIL and his wife, and DH's parents each wanted to bring something, so I have delegated.

Entree: bread and dip (BIL)
Main: roast chicken (me), mixed roast veg (me), ham (DH's grandma) and salad (MIL)
Dessert: Christmas pudding and custard(FIL)

I volunteered to do the chook and vegies so that I can control how much fat are in them (MIL almost deepfries hers).

I am looking forward to the lunch, but at the same time I hate how Christmas day turns into Christmas month!  On the upside, it gives me an excuse to leave the tree up a bit longer.

QUOTE (*Spikey* @ 01/01/2013, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I scoop the bronze. biggrin.gif

ohmy.gif Stealthy speed post.

#7 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

I am going all new year resolution on you all. The past month (actually, the whole year) was just a write off in terms of diet and exercise due to my ongoing health and injury woes, but this year is break through time. I don't think I have the strength to do it this way for longer than 2013.

I'm going to cut down my coffee, mostly so that I cut down the milk that I'm having with it. I don't really need it, and I'm back to calorie counting. I'm also going back to Celebrity Slim shakes (and their new breakfast muesli stuff, its nice) and having fruit for snacks.

Today, I have revved up the treadmill, and completed 4km. I'm planning on building up distance, then speed. Hopefully as the kilos drop off, it will get easier.

All that, and I'm off to spring clean some more rooms. roll2.gif

I now officially have 50kg to lose. I want to get back to 65kg ideally, but you know what, I'd settle for 70kg. I hate those numbers. I also want to be back into some of my nicer clothes for my 50th birthday in July. Wish me luck and good healthy eating and exercise!

#8 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

AA,  dev (6).gif  roll2.gif

#9 claptrap

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Hi everyone, and Happy New Year to all!

The motivation hasn't kicked in for me yet.  I had planned to get back to eating well and moving more as of today but I am seriously struggling with doing anything beyond sitting around watching TV and surfing the net.  DS is so hard to get out of the house.

The truth is, I'm feeling really down, and disappointed with myself.  I have gained a LOT ( I can feel and see it but haven't weighed in for weeks and weeks) and I feel like such a fool to be doing this to myself again.  It's all the mind stuff - I just don't like my life very much and I find Christmas a challenging time because the gap between my reality and the one I'd like is so huge.  Sorry for the wallow but if I can't be honest here, well, you know.

I am almost at the end of all the holiday treat food though, and I think tomorrow I'll be ready.  I've started a cupboard clean out and  am about to make a coffee before facing the monumental task of packing up Christmas.  DS is keen that we do it today,  "because it's January now and we won't talk about Christmas until next December".

Cardamom will be in touch regarding the run/walk.  It might be just what I need!

ETA: fishies are having a lovely time and enjoying their new tank

Edited by dogged, 01 January 2013 - 01:01 PM.

#10 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

Hope you feel more motivated soon, Dogged. bbighug.gif  I've gained 15kg at least since you saw me last - and I cannot say I'm very impressed with myself either. I am fairly sure I am now what I weighed just before I left to get DD - and it is not a comfortable sensation. Plus I gave away all my old clothes, so I'm struggling with wardrobe issues too (except for the red dress, that is actually awesome). Sigh.

Last night, as DH was kindly sharing out his Lindt truffles (mmmmm), I just suddenly thought "enough, its time and I don't need those things at the moment". Although I did filch one cocktail pastizzi from DD's lunch, as I had to cook them. I plan to do a bit of a heavy duty reboot for the rest of this week, and then adjust back to something approaching reasonable. As we say around here, I have a lot to lose, and oh so much more to gain (my health back!).

#11 Feral Lemur

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

cardamom I am a maybe for the walk / run.  What would it involve?  Does the 5ms need to happen undera  certain time? gulp!

I often walk 4 - 5kms but not at any great speed and certainly not running!

dogged I am not motivated yet eith but I want to be if that makes any sense.

DH has a significant birthday this year and I would be so disappointed if I looked crap.  And a friend I haven't seen for I think 20 years will eb visintg in October.  If only those events could focus me.

My focus will be being more active throughout the day (the absolute key for me), improving my sleep, and more whole foods and les processed carbs.  

#12 seepi

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

wow everyone is back - great to see.

My motivation is really high right now - lets see how long I last.

Spikey I would love to be 65kg. I can barely imagine it though - I'd be very happy with 70.

I am at the point where if I grow any bigger I will have nothing at all to wear, and even now my clothes don't look their best. Mostly I live in denial and just don't look in mirrors etc, but photos do not lie....

Dogged - you are doing so well to keep those fish alive. Everyone i know who has got into fish has had a few early losses, til they get their set up organised, or find some tougher fish. One friend has resorted to guppies now, they couldn't keep a gold fish alive for some reason.

My kids are the opposite to your son - they are now obsessed with next christmas already.

AA - that menu sounds good - nice and traditional and not too much work for anyone. I love Xmas normally, but this year I was really lacking in energy. Yet another reason to become slim and healthy.
I tried rekordelig lime and ginger cider and it was too sweet also - and I have a super sweet tooth too.

AL - go for it with the run - if you can often walk that far I'm sure you can do it. Me, I am going to have to focus on food. I'm not an exerciser, and I just don't have time (kid free time) to do anything. I'm hoping to fit more in, but realistically I can't do a lot.

Actually I will be walking DS to preschool 2 days a week, and pushing DD in a pram, so that is something. Still need to buy a pram as I gave ours away thinking I was done with it. Long story there, but anyway... I"m hoping to pick up a cheap but good big 3 wheel pram - I'll only need it for this year and for 2 mornings a week, so not worth buying an expensive one.

OK - DP has taken the kids out, so I need to snap into action and do some tidying up. I also need to hang up some washing, but our clothesline is mid repairs and is lying on it's side in the yard....I'm going to try to get some clothes onto it anyway. I love the smell of sun dried washing.

#13 cardcarryingferal

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

Oi! I go out for a couple of hours, and everyone pops in while I'm gone?!

dogged and AL, here's some info for you if you're interested:

http://www.runmelbourne.com.au/content/event-info/gjg2aw

Don't worry AL, there's no time requirement (that I can see - better not be! I'm definitely not fast either), and the 5km is clearly a walk/run. I thought it might be something fun to work towards, it's still a good 6 months away so plenty of time to build up if we do decide to go for it (and no need to enter until June).

AL, I know exactly what you mean about wanting to be motivated. I want so badly to get that pep and vitality back, all the enthusiasm is bubbling away in my mind, but working up the incentive to get off the couch is beyond me at the moment.

Good luck with the housework seepi! I should really get up and unpack my suitcase. It's been sitting on the floor since Saturday  unsure.gif

Spikey, well done on refusing the chocolate. Lindt balls are my absolute weakness. And Mum bought me a 400g box for Christmas  mellow.gif

dogged - huge hug. I'm sorry to hear your Christmas didn't quite match up to what you wanted it to be. I can relate so strongly to what you've said about feeling foolish for doing this to yourself again. I've gained 8kg from my lowest weight last year (at my most recent weigh in, anyway) and I'm just so angry with myself. I know how hard I had to work for each of those kilos, and now I have to lose them AGAIN. Makes me feel so despondent.

AA - that menu sounds great. Nothing beats a good roast chicken and vegetables in my book, it's my all-time favourite meal. My aunt was hosting Christmas lunch this year (after decades of Nan's roast meats with trimmings) and wanted to have a cold-things-only meal; she was shot down pretty quickly  tongue.gif  

I had a brief discussion with DP a while ago (intended for it to be more in depth but we got sidetracked) about me needing his support in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle, and to my delight he suggested a walk around the lake today. Often I'll be whining at him about wanting to go for a walk and he won't come, so for him to suggest it was great. Albert Park Lake is a lovely walk (today was the first time I've done it) and it's apparently 5km exactly around the edge, so might be a good training ground for me for the fun run.

#14 cardcarryingferal

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

Right, I've been thinking about it and I've finally settled on a number. I'd like to lose 20 kilos this year.

While that won't put me at a weight within the healthy range (I need to lose over 30kg for that, and I just don't think it's do-able for me at this stage) I think it's an achievable goal for me, and it's what my GP was happy for me to aim for.

#15 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

You ladies are totally fab. The fun run sounds great. I may have to try for the one here in Canberra, depending on how the diet/exercise goes. I shall do my darnedest to be ready for it! Perhaps we need a Canberra version too? A sort of fun run/walk challenge. biggrin.gif

However, I do need to clarify that I had my moment of enlightenment AFTER I had the chocolate, so there was no refusal to speak of. ph34r.gif

#16 cardcarryingferal

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (*Spikey* @ 01/01/2013, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
However, I do need to clarify that I had my moment of enlightenment AFTER I had the chocolate, so there was no refusal to speak of. ph34r.gif

Better late than never Spikey  wink.gif

#17 Jjbeanz

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Hi
I'm going to join in if that's ok?

I need to lose 40kg ( at least ) and its so tough to get the motivation to do it! I will be starting once the bad food is gone from Xmas as my willpower is bad and if junk foid is in the cupboard I eventually give in and eat it sad.gif

I'm going to be doing the high protein diet to start with to get rid of my sugar cravings and then onto the clean eating. Will try any cut out most processed and sugary foods!

Look forward to sharing this journey with you all original.gif

#18 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

Welcome to the group Jjbeanz!

#19 cardcarryingferal

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Welcome Jjbeanz!

I have the same problem with moderation; if there's something tasty in the fridge/cupboard, it's like it's calling to me, I can't not eat it.

Would you be able to throw it out? This is something I've only recently been able to do, I hate waste usually, but I figure it's more wasteful (of time and energy) for me to overeat. Alternatively, is it possible to get your partner/kids to confiscate/hide the food for you, and dole it out as a planned, occasional treat?

#20 Jjbeanz

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

I don't think I could bring myself to throw it out but there's only a few things left now, a pudding and some chocolate so I think I'll put the chocolates out after dinner tomorrow and they will be gone with the kids around haha and the pudding I can resist so might keep that as a treat food after I've lost a few kgs. My hubby would happily throw out junk food though so it's good to have him around to help if I need

#21 cardcarryingferal

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

I completely understand, I still find it really difficult to throw food out. Sometimes I even have to 'ruin' food, eg. by squirting dish detergent or something on top of it to stop myself  ph34r.gif

I still don't think I'd be able to throw out something nice like wrapped chocolates though, it's leftover cake, dinner, etc. that I can manage to toss.

#22 la di dah

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

Hey guys. Guess what.

I'm not dead! Really, I'm not. Slack, yes. But not dead.

Well, slack with the thread. Actually good the last couple days. Have done a few km of walking both yesterday and today, and am back to portion controlling.

Christmas was not entirely kind to me. Don't fully understand how the scale said I gained SIX KILOS in one week though. That seems excessive to borderline grotesque but it has shocked me into action.

It must have been at least partly water as its back down by 3 but that's still 3 up and I'm not really comfortable with that as indicative of what my system can do in one week.

My New Years Resolution is to drop a size. Weight is a fickle b**ch for me, six kilos in a week is unusual for me but what is weird is I could still do my pants up (though not as comfy as normal) but I do range by 2-3 a week often enough to make me mad, and my size is much more consistent than the scale. I don't change sizes easily, especially not downward.

Been the same size for over a year now and that makes me kinda angry actually because even if my body has found the weight it wants to be, I don't want it to be this composition. And I don't feel like I've done NOTHING in the last year, so I sort of feel like it ought to be better than it is. I will make 2013 more productive.

Also I don't really give a damn even if I stay the same weight if I get provably leaner and badder. dev (6).gif

#23 Feral Lemur

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

I find sharing works best.  Especially with my kids!

I was at an event a few years ago and a healthy weight woman won a  box of chocolates.  Her immediate response was to open them and offer them around the table.  In no time they were gone.  She might have had one or two.  I now follow her example as much as possible.

#24 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

Jjbeanz, welcome!  I have about the same amount of weight to lose.

I just want to send out an invitation to any lurkers, feel free to come out of the shadows and join in too!  waves.gif

Cardamom, 20kg sounds like a good goal: big enough to be meaningful change, but not so big as to be unachievable.  

I've been trying to quantify goals for myself for the year.  I want to aim high but doable. I figure 26kg is 500g a week. So I have decided to round up to 27.5kg, which would put me at 70kg in a year.  I will reassess every 3 months.

Current weight: 97.5kg
Mini-goal 1: 90kg by March 1
Mini-goal 2: 85kg by mid-April (wedding anniversary)
Mini-goal 3: 80kg by July (birthday)
Mini-goal 4: 75kg by October 26 (DS2's birthday)
Mini-goal 5: 70kg by Christmas 2013

#25 seepi

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:30 AM

Wow some big goals here. I am keen to lose 10 kg. Then I thought maybe 12, for a 12 month goal, but I think 10 is a nice round number. I could lose more, but I haven't lost any weight in forever and have even gained weight since I had my last baby, so I will be very happy with 10 kg.

Off to make another less sugary coffee.

I did not do any push ups yesterday. I will try for 10 today. I have decided either 10 push ups, 10 sit ups or ten 'touch your toes' will do. If I give myself a slack option I will keep going with the idea, instead of giving up after not doing any for a day or two. I am so out of condition it is not funny.

I am also keeping my eye out for a yoga or pilates class that is on a sunday afternoon. Or possibly a dance class.

We are off to the pool today, but with 3 non swimmers to wrangle I will be sitting around in the playing pool, not doing any laps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clever panda fakes pregnancy

News that a giant panda was pregnant prompted much excitement, but it appears there were never any cubs on the way.

'I survived placenta percreta'

When writing her birth plan, Simone Pavil included an item most women wouldn?t even think about: what should happen if she was put on life support. The mum had the potentially fatal condition placenta accreta.

Managing personal space as a mum

In the midst of the early parenting years, our bodies and minds can seemingly be overtaken by our offspring. How can we balance our need for personal space with the needs of our children?

'If love could have saved you, you'd have never left'

The words "spontaneous abortion" on the hospital paperwork really got to me. My baby died; I didn't spontaneously decide to abort him.

15 classic Aussie ads

Watch some of the classic Australian ads of the 80s, 90s and 00s, and remember the catchphrases and jingles we all used to know so well ...

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Going viral

Outrage over baby's icy challenge

A man has been reported to child protective services after taking the ALS ice bucket challenge with his 10-month-old granddaughter.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.