Erratic sleep patterns of 4.5 mth old

6 replies to this topic

#1 anniemandbub

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:16 AM

DS is almost 4.5 months. He occasionally sleeps through, but most nights will wake for a feed once between 1 and 3 am, depending on when he went to sleep. But I'm now getting more nights of 2+ wakings. Tonight its been wake ups at 9 and 12 already after going to bed after the 6 pm feed  sad.gif  Just Christmas night he slept through, and only single wake ups the next two nights.

Is it normal for babies sleep to be so erratic? I never know what to expect.  And my breasts never have time to get used to a pattern either! Sometimes more feeds follow a day when he's fed poorly, he's become very distractible, but this is not always the case before some of the more wakeful nights.

For some reason, I'm finding it harder and harder to go back to sleep myself, so sometimes I get no sleep at all between wake ups. Which increases my frustration.

#2 greengoddess

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:29 AM

At around Week 19 (from EDD) babies go through a pretty restless Wonder Week - it can start a few weeks before and last a few weeks thereafter. It's also known as the Four Month Sleep Regression - google it, it's very common.

I'd highly recommend the Wonder Weeks book (and app!). It alerts you to these "stormy" periods, which are nothing more than massive developmental leaps (intellectual growth spurts, if you like). You might be up for a few weeks of disrupted sleep, but the pay off is usually a significant new skill at the end!

GGxx

#3 tibs

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:30 AM

My baby is only 3.5 months but I would think 6pm bedtime is too early if you want them to sleep through.  I try and do the last feed around midnight then I go to bed and usually don't get woken until morning.

#4 anniemandbub

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:18 AM

QUOTE (tibs @ 31/12/2012, 01:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My baby is only 3.5 months but I would think 6pm bedtime is too early if you want them to sleep through.  I try and do the last feed around midnight then I go to bed and usually don't get woken until morning.

He's a terrible daytime sleeper, so is usually easily off to sleep by 7, although some nights will remain inexplicably wide awake till after the next feed. He would be cranky as if I forced him to stay up and I'm OK with one night feed, its when it turns into more that I get really frustrated.

Thanks for the Wonder Week info Greengoddess. I will have a read. He had just started rolling back to front a bit over a week ago. Every time he wakes he rolls over in his cot and then gets stuck as he can't roll back. He did roll front to back several times at 10 weeks, then forgot how to do it, lol. Tummy time became very frustrating for a time as he kept trying to roll, but he finally gave up and fast forward to now and he's getting lots of tummy time as he rolls over almost immediately whenever you put him on his back unless he is asleep!

#5 Feralishous

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

Id say its pretty normal. My son is 4 months and has started waking at 6am (used to be up between 8-9) and I remember my DD going through this around this age too

#6 minidiamond

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

We are all over the place too, DS is the same age, altho he's never slept through. And I totally empathize with the feeding issue, sometimes just before I go to feed him my boobs feel completely soft ! I always seem to just keep up although I wonder if he was getting more would he sleep better ie a bit of a viscous circle.

I'm going to introduce solids in 2 weeks so hoping that might bring a new phase and better sleep.

#7 mandala

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

The only time DS started having any real consistency in night wakings was when he started sleeping through at 8 months. Before then there were 1, 2 or 3 wakings at various times.

Day sleeps settled down by 6 months and were much more consistent in times from then on.

However, even at 11 months, there would be at least two days a week that were all over the place. And now at 12 months, it's even worse original.gif

Great advice from PP on the Wonder Weeks. That would always knock DS around.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.