Diaper bag
any recommendation

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Wildence

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

what are you ladies going to use?
diaper bag or just a normal big bag and purchase the changing mat?

we were shopping today at the Babywarehouse and i had a look at those diaper bags, OMG. i am NOT paying $200 for a bag.

i know target has some for $40, but not sure if quality is good?
how about quality of the bags sold on ebay? or even amazon?

thanks all!

#2 Justaduck

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

Not in your DIG but have come in here from the sidebar posts.
I only bought a Minnie Mouse backpack for DD. Used it for the first 6mths, now I just use the clip on lunch bag attachment from it with a change of clothes, a few nappies and wipes.
I couldn't justify spending heaps on a bag when I watched a lot of friends nappy bags go to waste.

If you have your eyes on a Target one they are often half price ($20) when they have their Bumper Babythons.

#3 ALittleBitter

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

I bought this nappy bag: http://www.annaandsally.com.au/chic-nappy-...ermelon-stripe/

It is great! Heaps of pockets and space, but not crazily big. Great quality and a good price aswell.
A lot of people comment on it or ask where I bought it original.gif

#4 Taffyk

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:37 PM

I have two - DH wanted the target one - got it on sale.  We keep in the car for emergencies - definitely come in handy a couple of times!

I love handbags and really wanted an Il Tutto diaper bag.  DH said no way!  But I got one of the totes on sale and I love it!

#5 BBV

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:53 AM

I'm also not sure what to do about a nappy bag...so am watching this thread with interest!

#6 ubermum

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:03 AM

Intruder.

After having a lovely nappy bag, I switched to a good backpack with lots of compartments from an outdoor store. It never slides off my shoulder, is much easier to carry, is better on my back and means that with the Ergo on the front and backpack on my back I can get on public transport with 3 kids.

Edited by ubermum, 31 December 2012 - 07:04 AM.

#7 Camizebra

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

Not in your DIG!  But, I love my proper nappy bag - the various compartments are super helpful and it clips onto my pram.  I got mine as a baby shower gift.

It's whatever you can afford though...and you'll probably make whatever you end up buying working for you.

#8 lorywhol

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

We bought DH the black Chloe one from Target. I bought a backpack from Isoki. Last time I had a backpack from OiOi.

I only buy the them on special. I do like them cause they are purpose made (have all the mats, pockets you need etc...) But can see how you could just use a normal backpack.

If you are an online shopper have a look at MUMGO today. There are a couple of OiOi bags on special (but still a bit expensive). I bought my OiOi bag last time from eBay.

Good luck!

#9 Tigerdog

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

Got a fancy one with all the pockets etc for first baby, got used about twice.  Now I just use one of those cloth bags from the shops, lives on a hook near the front door, I just chuck everything I need in it as I got out depending on where and for how long I'm going (bottle/drink cup, a few nappies, small pack of wipes, maybe change of clothes).  

Too much hassle to constantly be 'restocking' a big bag to make sure all the stuff's still in there, especially when you may be lugging it around but not even need half of what's in it anyway.

Edited by Tigerdog, 31 December 2012 - 10:19 AM.

#10 redmum77

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

I've had one of these in the past,
http://www.bubsngrubs.com.au/gr8x-baby-tra...diaper-bag.html
It was really good, very handy on changing tables in the shops or in the park etc. I put it on my back, baby on the front in the baby bjorn and I was off! Lol. Not sure if I need more inside space this time for water bottles etc for the other kids though, so might have to go the more traditional way - my fav at the moment is the link some here gave for the Watermelon bag, but I'd get blue/green so DH didn't feel weird using it.... Either that or a plain black back or hiking back pack. I need the bottle insulators etc though anyway, so not a big difference.

Whatever I get won't be very expensive, I think def under 100, hopefully under $50 is reasonable. Love the cloth bag idea! I ended up making some little cloth bags it's the others to put just nappy and wipes in, or just food in, that had Velcro handles to go on the pram. Thy were awesome and so easy to sew original.gif not great for a new born though!

#11 *Katey*

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

We bought a black nappy bag from Target for $50 on Saturday.

It's got a change pad included, a big compartment to fit nappies and big items in, a flip out part with smaller compartments, a thermal case for a bottle and a few side pockets and such. They are either magnetic or duel zipper, so very easy to open and close with one hand.

I know a normal big bag would do the job, but I hate rummaging through big bags trying to find things. At least with this proper nappy bag, everything is in it's own compartment and extremely easy to find and access with one hand. No rummaging required.

It also matches, and fits perfectly over the handles of our pram. Totally looks like it's part of them pram original.gif

Edit - It's this one - http://shop.target.com.au/p/ryco-everyday-...ooler/P36734887

Edited by *Katey*, 31 December 2012 - 08:57 PM.

#12 clm1982

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

I have this one and it was fine for the first baby however i did find it rather big to start with as it wouldnt fit in the under compartment of the pram only hanging on the handle so i did take this for big trips and a small kiddy backpack for short trips.

http://shop.target.com.au/p/ryco-sophie-nu...y-bag/P43265909

#13 Studybug

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

clm1982, did you buy yours online or in-store?  Just wondering as I'd love to check out some of those bags IRL to check for sizes etc.

I was pretty much thinking of getting an insert with compartments to go in normal bags as we have a travel change mat from DS and can't seem to find the nappy bag we used when he was little.  The issue I'm having is we're going to use cloth so the little all-in-one mats/nappy holders/wipes holders things are too small, but I don't necessarily want to go out and buy a new nappy bag as we only used DS' for about 6 mths.

Any bag ideas, cloth users?

#14 HeroOfCanton

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

Another intruder from recent topics!

I bought a $40 target bag to begin with when DD was born - I hated it, and bought a proper nappy bag, then a few more swaps to other giant handbags I already had.
Finally, when DS was born, I bought a Skip Hop Studio tote, and I love it to bits - big enough for 2 kids in cloth nappies, but not so huge i feel like a pack horse with it.
It's RRP is around $150, but you can find them cheaper elsewhere.

#15 lozoodle

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

I've got an Oroton baby bag that I've had since DD1 was a baby. I adore it wub.gif

Slightly extravagant at $395, but its awesome!

Edited by lozoodle, 02 January 2013 - 11:35 AM.

#16 s'peachykeen

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

Also an intruder! We're using a Penny Scallan Kinder Backpack. Lots of pockets, easy to carry, comes in a lot of different styles, rrp around $50, and it will continue it's life as DD's daycare/kindy bag once we get to that stage. You would need to pack relatively lightly if you were packing for a newborn plus toddler, but that's unlikely to be an issue for us.

ETA: I bought some waterproof tablecloth material from Spotlight and cut it to a size I liked as a change mat. It folds down nicely into the bag. 1m was waaaay too much - if you bought 50cm, you'd probably still have enough for a couple of mats and they would work out to be $4 or $5 each. One for the bag, one for the car!

Edited by s'peachykeen, 02 January 2013 - 11:49 AM.

#17 IsolaBella

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

Recent topics intruder.

I love the JuJu Be bags.

I had a BeHave sent from the US. It was my perfect primary handbag plus nappy bag. everything on its place. Then again I also travel light.

Honestly there is no need for a huge bag. My sister just uses on of my old BeQuicks. She just drops it in the bottom of the pram or in her handbag.

Eta at the time if getting the BeHave my handbag had died, so needed a new handbag anyway. For the boys I just used the gr8x bottle duo.

Edited by lsolaBella, 02 January 2013 - 12:16 PM.

#18 Feral timtam

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (Studybug @ 02/01/2013, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
clm1982, did you buy yours online or in-store?  Just wondering as I'd love to check out some of those bags IRL to check for sizes etc.

I was pretty much thinking of getting an insert with compartments to go in normal bags as we have a travel change mat from DS and can't seem to find the nappy bag we used when he was little.  The issue I'm having is we're going to use cloth so the little all-in-one mats/nappy holders/wipes holders things are too small, but I don't necessarily want to go out and buy a new nappy bag as we only used DS' for about 6 mths.

Any bag ideas, cloth users?

All the Ryco bags on the Target website are available in stores, there's a couple of styles in my local store that aren't on the website.

That Ryco bag is fine for use with cloth, I've got two in cloth and my "All Day" bag is a a Ryco nappy bag. http://www.productreview.com.au/p/ryco-zebra.html Is the one I have, Target have a plain black one in the same style at the moment. I fit 10 cloth nappies in it, one change of clothes for each of my older two,  a spare shirt for me, several suits for the youngest and wipes in the main compartment. External compartments hold first aid kit, water bottles and snacks.

#19 causeway

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

Another intruder...

I bought a cheap nappy bag & it wasnt big enough so I ended up buying a laptop backpack feom strandbags on the advice of a friend - its awesome. Now that DD is bigger & doesnt need so much I have a large tote/ handbag that I can fit a few nappies, wipes & snacks in. We still use the backpack for longer trips.
I was tempted to buy a nappy bag backpack but couldnt justify the cost!

#20 ~~HappyMummy~~

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

I have had two nappy bags and loved them both.  Both black and look like normal handbags but with more pockets, insulated side pocket for bottle, change mat,etc.  

First I had an oi oi bag, now I've got a Babymel (replaced the first one when the zipper broke).  Babymel is super wonderful, even attaches to my pram.

I use it everyday and can't imagine life without it.  It's my handbag.  I can't imagine lugging a backpack around every day.

Friends have had target ones and they've fallen apart within months.  Cheap plastic I believe.

Spend the money.  You won't regret it.

#21 causeway

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

Also a tip I got from EB... Repack your nappy bag when you get home from an outing.. Then if you need to go out in a hurry you'll always be ready.

#22 DomesticDivinity

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

I got this Marc by Marc Jacobs baby bag  - obviously am still pregnant so have not used it yet but it is big and wipe-able, win.

http://www.shopbop.com/preppy-nylon-eliz-b...p;colorId=12742

#23 WhimsicalDragonfly

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

This is my nappy bag:

http://isleofcharlie.ezispace.com/prod4.htm

I haven't used it yet so can only recommend the company I bought it from as being reliable and the bag being good quality.
I got it at a discounted price at a baby show last year.

#24 redmum77

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

Etsy!

#25 BBV

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

I got this nappy bag on sale

http://www.storksak.com/product.php?shoppr...p;variantid=323

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.