Best Light weight Pram?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Ellie_83

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

Hi,
I'm new to this site so pls bare with me original.gif
So i'm looking at what pram i should buy and am totally over whelmed by all the options out there.....So i thought i would through it out to you guys and get some advice!

Criteria:
1. Light weight (under 9 Kg, the lighter the better as i have a bad back)-- now looking at heavier ones that fold wthout seat in them so stil llight
2. easy fold
3.  compact
then others not essential but would be nice:
  • adjustable handle-
after looking at more prams this is a must as i have the starts of carpel tunnel in both wrists.
  • reversible handle
I really liked the feel of the baby jogger- city mini GT- love the way it folds up with one pull of a strap- but would really prefer something a little lighter though,

the agile pram (steelcraft) looks good on paper i haven't seen this one yet, have read before that the front wheel gets stuck

Any thought or suggestions from your experience would be greatly appreciated original.gif

thank you

Cheers

Ellie biggrin.gif

Edited by Ellie_83, 31 December 2012 - 05:05 PM.

#2 chickenpants

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

I love love love my Baby Jogger City Mini.  It fits in the boot of my Suzuki Swift easily, I can pull it out of the boot and flip it open one-handed. Plus the fantastic fold.

I have one of these in there for a bit of padding & support
http://www.pramwarehouse.com.au/product/Go...ad_Support.html
The small insert has been removed now because my sons head got a bit big to fit in it comfortably (he's 13 weeks now), but the larger one still has plenty of room to grow.

I've been on buses and trains with it with no problems (except when people refuse to move from the parent/disabled seats) and my little guy loves going out and about in it.

The main reasons I picked it were for the weight, size & easy fold, but the hood on it really pulled it over the line - nice and large it blocks out a lot of sun, plus it has all the windows in the top so you can easily check on bub at any time.

#3 Marchioness Flea

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

How about the Combi? i was really tempted to get one when I was pregnant but was a bit!! at the cost back then. of course now I wouldn't hesitate seeing how much I used a pram original.gif

#4 Justaduck

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

Pram Warehouse have the Agile for $290 at the moment. I believe (but may be wrong) that it is very similar to the City Mini?

I have heard rave reviews about the City Mini but chose not to get it because of price (much lower budget) and I wanted something that could have a bub face me.

All I can suggest is spend some decent money on a stroller. We are on our sixth now as we got what we paid for (Love'n'Care Delta, Steelcraft Cruiser and Zuzu something from Big W). We have a Valco Matrix now with the bassinet for a new bubba but I think it would be too heavy for you

#5 Marchioness Flea

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:28 AM

I had the Love N Care delta 2 and it's lasted me nearly 3 years. The only reason i stopped using it was it doesn't fit in my new car's hatch sad.gif
I now have a Silver Cross Micro, but it's not rear facing.

#6 elizabethany

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:52 AM

I also love my Baby Jogger City Mini.  I bought it on weight and fold, as I have arthritis in my hands, and buttons can be a problem.  The agile was not availiable at the time.

If baby facing you is really improtant, you can attach a bassinet style seat to it as well, but I didn't bother.

The differences between the two are the hood size (BJ is larger), 3 wheels vs 4, and 100g (BJ 7.6kg, agile 7.5kg).

If I had to make the choice again, I would go with the BJ still, on the hood and the 3 wheels.

#7 Chief Pancake Make

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:08 AM

I have the Agile and love it.  As far as I know it is the lightest available and so easy to fold and unfold. It has 4 wheels so is a bit more stable than the 3 wheelers.

It doesnt have a reversible handle though.  The have now brought out the Agile plus with a few additions.

As for the front wheels getting stuck - occasionally when I take it in an out of the car the front brake will accidentally get put on, I just check it before I leave - easy fixed.

#8 bikingbubs

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

I totally love my agile.

#9 allyr

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

McClaren Vogue! biggrin.gif

#10 Ellie_83

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

OMG thank you for all the replys!
i went to babybunting today to see more prams...

i quickly discorved that i have to have the adjustable handle due to bad wrists, which cut out alot of options, like the agile and all combis

i still really like the baby jogger city mini GT

but also found the baby jogger city select stroller really good too, i had originally discounted it due to it weight- but as it folds without the seat its really notmuch more heavy thab the city mini, plus cab take a todler seat, which is a big plus for the future.

this has now opened upprams that fold with out the seat- as all these weights arewith tbe seat on whih is not what you are lifting....

• was thinking i shoukd check out the steelcraft strider compact pram
  •   dot buggy
  • valco rebal Q
Any other suggestions or how you find any of these products would be much appreciated :-)
i will be looking at all other pram models that have been suggested to see if now fit my changed requirements
thank you
cheers
Ellie  rolleyes.gif

#11 Ellie_83

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (chickenpants @ 30/12/2012, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love love love my Baby Jogger City Mini.  It fits in the boot of my Suzuki Swift easily, I can pull it out of the boot and flip it open one-handed. Plus the fantastic fold.  I have one of these in there for a bit of padding & support http://www.pramwarehouse.com.au/product/Go...ad_Support.html The small insert has been removed now because my sons head got a bit big to fit in it comfortably (he's 13 weeks now), but the larger one still has plenty of room to grow.  I've been on buses and trains with it with no problems (except when people refuse to move from the parent/disabled seats) and my little guy loves going out and about in it.  The main reasons I picked it were for the weight, size & easy fold, but the hood on it really pulled it over the line - nice and large it blocks out a lot of sun, plus it has all the windows in the top so you can easily check on bub at any time.

I reallu like how it folds too :-) and light weight biggrin.gif

#12 Ellie_83

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE (Jenflea @ 30/12/2012, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How about the Combi? i was really tempted to get one when I was pregnant but was a bit!! at the cost back then. of course now I wouldn't hesitate seeing how much I used a pram original.gif

yeah i liked the lookof these so light weight, but found i need adjustable handle and none of them have them, thanks though rolleyes.gif

#13 *~Luvmy3~*

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

If you want to spend good money on a stroller/pram that will last and is what you want look at the baby jogger city versa.

It is the same as the city select but the size of the city mini.

http://www.babyjoggerstrollers.com.au/prod...gers/city-versa

#14 aphraell

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

Love my Bugaboo Bee! Super easy fold, light weight, forward and rearward facing, very agile and easy to manoveur

#15 Maniacal_laugh

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

I was going to suggest the Versa too. I think they'll be in Australia in Feb. it has a one handed fold, even with the seat attached. I currently have a city mini but would like a pram with rear facing option for the new baby, and Versa seems to fit the bill. Have a look at it on YouTube OP, it's pretty cool.

#16 Lokum

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE (aphraell @ 02/01/2013, 12:11 AM)
15199432[/url]']
Love my Bugaboo Bee! Super easy fold, light weight, forward and rearward facing, very agile and easy to manoveur

Yeah, i think the Bee meets your criteria really well. It. Doesn't do well off-road or on uneven surfaces, but otherwise it's a pretty perfect pram.
Can get them second hand for decent prices in excellent condition if you watch and wait.

#17 ~Panda~

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

I have a Bugaboo Bee too. Love love LOVE it!

Light, compact, you can get the maxi cosi capsule and adapters so it clicks in, the whole seat turns around so it's much better to push than a pram with handle bars that reverse. It has adjustable handles and the harness adjusts by heightening the seat. No rethreading etc. Not to mention it is a dream to push.

#18 R2B2

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

I got an agile last week and I have to admit i'm head over heels in love.
my bee has been relegated to a corner of my study wink.gif

the new agile has the adjustable handle (I got the old one because it was on sale) but not reversable unfortunately.

also a MASSIVE fan of Mountain buggy. though I don't think they have any lightweight options?!

Edited by R2B2, 01 January 2013 - 11:22 PM.

#19 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

I believe the Bugaboo Cameleon is only 9kg too. I loved mine, so easy to steer and push both on and off road. Good luck with your decision original.gif

#20 ~Panda~

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

QUOTE (SCARFACE CLAW @ 02/01/2013, 12:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe the Bugaboo Cameleon is only 9kg too. I loved mine, so easy to steer and push both on and off road. Good luck with your decision original.gif

The Cammy is great, but for an easy fold, I would say the Bee would be better? The Cammy is a two piece fold and takes up more room in the boot. It also feels a bit heavier than the Bee to me. But maybe I'm wrong there!

#21 noonehere

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

Mountain buggy has a mini version out now

#22 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

QUOTE (~Panda~ @ 02/01/2013, 12:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Cammy is great, but for an easy fold, I would say the Bee would be better? The Cammy is a two piece fold and takes up more room in the boot. It also feels a bit heavier than the Bee to me. But maybe I'm wrong there!

You're probably right, I haven't used a Bee before original.gif I think the whole two piece thing is part of what makes it lighter though, in that you're not picking up the whole pram at once, IYKWIM?

#23 ~Panda~

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

QUOTE (SCARFACE CLAW @ 02/01/2013, 12:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're probably right, I haven't used a Bee before original.gif I think the whole two piece thing is part of what makes it lighter though, in that you're not picking up the whole pram at once, IYKWIM?

Yes, good point!

#24 Tracieleigh

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

I've had both, the cameleon and now the bee +. I have to say, even though the two piece fold makes it possibly lighter, it's also a big pain in the you know what! It is a much comfier pram I think, but the bee is so easy original.gif

#25 noonehere

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

I wouldnt touch bugaboos... After playing with one instore it felt like crap compaired to the others. The hood was weak and flimsy and the wheels tiny on the bee. I dont get the fuss honestly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win a copy of 'Breakfast, School Run, Chemo'

To celebrate the launch of EB member and contributor Julia's Watson's first book, we have five copies of Breakfast, School Run, Chemo give away.

Electronic tags may keep newborns safe

The possibility of using electronic bracelets for mothers and their newborn babies is being investigated by Adelaide's Women's and Children's Hospital. 

Baby steps: when your little one starts walking

As a parent there are so many milestones to look forward to. That first smile, first word - and, of course, that first step.

Julia Watson's new book 'Breakfast, School Run, Chemo'

Tomorrow my friend Julia launches her first book. And while we're all overjoyed, the success is tinged with sadness. You see, Julia has stage 4 bowel cancer.

How not to name twins

Call me boring, but I don't think that when it comes to choosing my twins' names is the right time to use a good pun.

Fun Sunny Life pool inflatables just for babies

The babies of 2015 will thus be thrilled to paddle their happy baby legs in these brand new flamingo and swan baby inflatables.

Breastfeeding basics for beginners

Here are 10 tips to help make breastfeeding successful and stress free for both you and your baby as quickly as possible.

Girl smothers baby brother with peanut butter

This mum had a big clean up job on her hands.

How to hide those under eye shadows

Pandas are the only ones who benefit from under-eye shadows. If you're not fluffy and cute, you'll just look tired.

Young mum dies after being denied pap smear

A mother has died after she was denied a pap smear because she was deemed "too young" to need it.

Birthday cakes banned at childcare centre

A childcare centre in Sydney has banned birthday cakes after parent complaints about excessive sugar and children with allergies being left out.

Triplet surprise for newlyweds

As the radiographer moved the wand over her abdomen, Shelley King got the surprise of her life.

3 yummy Thermomix baby and toddler recipes

Louise Fulton Keats shares her recipes for babies and toddlers, including corn and sweet pikelets, pumpkin and pea risotto, and cheesy bunny biscuits.

Man arrested over toddler Nikki's death

A 31-year-old man has been arrested over the death of two-year-old Nikki Francis-Coslovich in Mildura.

Adoption ban on pregnant women to be lifted

Pregnant women will no longer be barred from adoption waiting lists in NSW, after the Baird Government decided the practice was discriminatory.

Are you getting enough magnesium?

Magnesium is the fourth most abundant mineral in the body, but we don't talk enough about it and the vital role it plays in great health and energy, as well as disease prevention.

5 workplace lessons for new parents

Take heart in these principles that will transfer seamlessly from the workplace into your new life as a parent.

Mums to follow on Instagram

A creative outlet for many, there are some savvy women complementing their blogs and businesses with riveting Instagrams feeds. We've chosen a few which have bucketloads of appeal; there are some big time players and some smaller local ones, and they each bring their special brand of magic to the Instagram experience.

Review: The Volvo 2015 XC90 SUV has all the safety features your family needs

The new Volvo XC90 SUV's focus on keeping you safe does not come at the expense of comfort in the XC90.

Kim Kardashian reveals she may have hysterectomy

Kim Kardashian has revealed complications during pregnancy means she might have to have a hysterectomy after the birth of her second child.

Why late night snacks wreak havoc on weight loss

Loath as you may be to admit it, chances are that at some point you have found yourself in the kitchen late at night, devouring food.

Toddler twins pretend to be asleep to fool mum

They say twins have a unique connection. If this cute clip is anything to go by, these toddler sisters like to use their special bond to try to fool their mother.

Dad bags: 10 picks for out and about

Getting out of the house is a big priority in the early years of parenthood and you need to take a well-stocked kit with you. We've chosen 10 of the best nappy bags sure to appeal to dads in style and function.

Win a Mountain Buggy Swift

To celebrate Essential Baby reaching half a million Facebook fans, we have a Mountain Buggy Swift to giveaway to a lucky fan.

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Dads who do their share have more sex: study

For women trying to encourage their partners to take more interest in fatherhood, it could be the ultimate incentive.

Think you might have IBS, coeliac disease or Crohn's?

Conditions affecting the gastrointestinal tract are common in modern humans, and many are on the rise - including irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and coeliac disease.

Couple poses for newborn shoot with adorable puppy

Tired of being asked about their baby-making plans, Australian couple Matt and Abby decided to give a creative answer.

The exercises you know you should be doing (but probably aren't)

I bet your to-do list today is long. But somewhere on that massive list, are you making time for your pelvic floor?

This baby really loves the family cat

Some babies get excited when mum or dad come to get them from their cot after a nap.

Designer kids clothing good enough to eat by Oeuf

Even if you aren't heading to the Northern hemisphere in the next six months, you can't help but love the amazing food-themed knits for babies and kids by cult kids brand Oeuf.

Early exposure to peanuts recommended for allergy prevention

A paediatricians' group is recommending that infants at high risk of peanut allergies be given foods containing peanuts before they turn one.

Home brand foods contain less salt than pricier rivals

Supermarket home brand foods, long derided as cheap and inferior, contain far lower levels of salt than pricier, branded rivals, new research shows.

Nannies for hire, wherever you're flying

Ever dreaded the prospect of a long flight, dreaming about how wonderful it would be for a nanny to entertain the kids?

Couple poses for newborn shoot with adorable puppy

Tired of being asked about their baby-making plans, Australian couple Matt and Abby decided to give a creative answer: with an unusual photo shoot with their 'baby', a groodle (poodle/golden retriever cross) named Humphrey. The talented Elisha from Elisha Minnette Photography caught all the precious shots.

Is it okay to name your baby with a sense of humour?

My husband was sure that Danger was a good option for a boy. And as the pregnancy progressed, it actually started to sound really good.

Woman gives birth after having her own mother's uterus transplanted

In a world first, a healthy baby has been born from the same womb that nurtured his own mother.

So hot right now: double-barrelled baby names on the rise

It's one way to make your baby stand out from the pack – giving them not one, but two first names.

Second time around: is it really better the devil you know?

When I fell pregnant with my second child I was, naturally, very excited. Then it all started to come back to me - and I freaked.

Shopping with kids: breaking the pester-power cycle

You're out shopping with your little one and they're incessantly whining that they want a treat. It's easy to say no ... the first time, at least.

How did we have babies before apps came along?

Three months ago, my wife, Chrysta, and I were driving along Melrose Avenue in Los Angeles when she let out a harrowing cry.

When your toddler disagrees

There comes a time when your child starts having different views to you. I didn't realise that time would come so soon.

Win a Pacapod this Father's Day

To celebrate dads and families, we are giving away a Picos Pack from Pacapod Australia filled with a few extra goodies ENTER NOW

FREE TICKET

Discover the magic of the LEGOŽ DUPLOŽ Play Area in Sydney

Get your free ticket to The Essential Baby & Toddler Show and save $20 - register online now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.