Best Light weight Pram?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Ellie_83

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

Hi,
I'm new to this site so pls bare with me original.gif
So i'm looking at what pram i should buy and am totally over whelmed by all the options out there.....So i thought i would through it out to you guys and get some advice!

Criteria:
1. Light weight (under 9 Kg, the lighter the better as i have a bad back)-- now looking at heavier ones that fold wthout seat in them so stil llight
2. easy fold
3.  compact
then others not essential but would be nice:
  • adjustable handle-
after looking at more prams this is a must as i have the starts of carpel tunnel in both wrists.
  • reversible handle
I really liked the feel of the baby jogger- city mini GT- love the way it folds up with one pull of a strap- but would really prefer something a little lighter though,

the agile pram (steelcraft) looks good on paper i haven't seen this one yet, have read before that the front wheel gets stuck

Any thought or suggestions from your experience would be greatly appreciated original.gif

thank you

Cheers

Ellie biggrin.gif

Edited by Ellie_83, 31 December 2012 - 05:05 PM.

#2 chickenpants

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

I love love love my Baby Jogger City Mini.  It fits in the boot of my Suzuki Swift easily, I can pull it out of the boot and flip it open one-handed. Plus the fantastic fold.

I have one of these in there for a bit of padding & support
http://www.pramwarehouse.com.au/product/Go...ad_Support.html
The small insert has been removed now because my sons head got a bit big to fit in it comfortably (he's 13 weeks now), but the larger one still has plenty of room to grow.

I've been on buses and trains with it with no problems (except when people refuse to move from the parent/disabled seats) and my little guy loves going out and about in it.

The main reasons I picked it were for the weight, size & easy fold, but the hood on it really pulled it over the line - nice and large it blocks out a lot of sun, plus it has all the windows in the top so you can easily check on bub at any time.

#3 Jenferal

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

How about the Combi? i was really tempted to get one when I was pregnant but was a bit!! at the cost back then. of course now I wouldn't hesitate seeing how much I used a pram original.gif

#4 Justaduck

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

Pram Warehouse have the Agile for $290 at the moment. I believe (but may be wrong) that it is very similar to the City Mini?

I have heard rave reviews about the City Mini but chose not to get it because of price (much lower budget) and I wanted something that could have a bub face me.

All I can suggest is spend some decent money on a stroller. We are on our sixth now as we got what we paid for (Love'n'Care Delta, Steelcraft Cruiser and Zuzu something from Big W). We have a Valco Matrix now with the bassinet for a new bubba but I think it would be too heavy for you

#5 Jenferal

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:28 AM

I had the Love N Care delta 2 and it's lasted me nearly 3 years. The only reason i stopped using it was it doesn't fit in my new car's hatch sad.gif
I now have a Silver Cross Micro, but it's not rear facing.

#6 elizabethany

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:52 AM

I also love my Baby Jogger City Mini.  I bought it on weight and fold, as I have arthritis in my hands, and buttons can be a problem.  The agile was not availiable at the time.

If baby facing you is really improtant, you can attach a bassinet style seat to it as well, but I didn't bother.

The differences between the two are the hood size (BJ is larger), 3 wheels vs 4, and 100g (BJ 7.6kg, agile 7.5kg).

If I had to make the choice again, I would go with the BJ still, on the hood and the 3 wheels.

#7 Chief Pancake Make

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:08 AM

I have the Agile and love it.  As far as I know it is the lightest available and so easy to fold and unfold. It has 4 wheels so is a bit more stable than the 3 wheelers.

It doesnt have a reversible handle though.  The have now brought out the Agile plus with a few additions.

As for the front wheels getting stuck - occasionally when I take it in an out of the car the front brake will accidentally get put on, I just check it before I leave - easy fixed.

#8 bikingbubs

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

I totally love my agile.

#9 allyr

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

McClaren Vogue! biggrin.gif

#10 Ellie_83

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

OMG thank you for all the replys!
i went to babybunting today to see more prams...

i quickly discorved that i have to have the adjustable handle due to bad wrists, which cut out alot of options, like the agile and all combis

i still really like the baby jogger city mini GT

but also found the baby jogger city select stroller really good too, i had originally discounted it due to it weight- but as it folds without the seat its really notmuch more heavy thab the city mini, plus cab take a todler seat, which is a big plus for the future.

this has now opened upprams that fold with out the seat- as all these weights arewith tbe seat on whih is not what you are lifting....

• was thinking i shoukd check out the steelcraft strider compact pram
  •   dot buggy
  • valco rebal Q
Any other suggestions or how you find any of these products would be much appreciated :-)
i will be looking at all other pram models that have been suggested to see if now fit my changed requirements
thank you
cheers
Ellie  rolleyes.gif

#11 Ellie_83

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (chickenpants @ 30/12/2012, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love love love my Baby Jogger City Mini.  It fits in the boot of my Suzuki Swift easily, I can pull it out of the boot and flip it open one-handed. Plus the fantastic fold.  I have one of these in there for a bit of padding & support http://www.pramwarehouse.com.au/product/Go...ad_Support.html The small insert has been removed now because my sons head got a bit big to fit in it comfortably (he's 13 weeks now), but the larger one still has plenty of room to grow.  I've been on buses and trains with it with no problems (except when people refuse to move from the parent/disabled seats) and my little guy loves going out and about in it.  The main reasons I picked it were for the weight, size & easy fold, but the hood on it really pulled it over the line - nice and large it blocks out a lot of sun, plus it has all the windows in the top so you can easily check on bub at any time.

I reallu like how it folds too :-) and light weight biggrin.gif

#12 Ellie_83

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE (Jenflea @ 30/12/2012, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How about the Combi? i was really tempted to get one when I was pregnant but was a bit!! at the cost back then. of course now I wouldn't hesitate seeing how much I used a pram original.gif

yeah i liked the lookof these so light weight, but found i need adjustable handle and none of them have them, thanks though rolleyes.gif

#13 *~Luvmy3~*

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

If you want to spend good money on a stroller/pram that will last and is what you want look at the baby jogger city versa.

It is the same as the city select but the size of the city mini.

http://www.babyjoggerstrollers.com.au/prod...gers/city-versa

#14 aphraell

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

Love my Bugaboo Bee! Super easy fold, light weight, forward and rearward facing, very agile and easy to manoveur

#15 Maniacal_laugh

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

I was going to suggest the Versa too. I think they'll be in Australia in Feb. it has a one handed fold, even with the seat attached. I currently have a city mini but would like a pram with rear facing option for the new baby, and Versa seems to fit the bill. Have a look at it on YouTube OP, it's pretty cool.

#16 Lokum

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE (aphraell @ 02/01/2013, 12:11 AM)
15199432[/url]']
Love my Bugaboo Bee! Super easy fold, light weight, forward and rearward facing, very agile and easy to manoveur

Yeah, i think the Bee meets your criteria really well. It. Doesn't do well off-road or on uneven surfaces, but otherwise it's a pretty perfect pram.
Can get them second hand for decent prices in excellent condition if you watch and wait.

#17 ~Panda~

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

I have a Bugaboo Bee too. Love love LOVE it!

Light, compact, you can get the maxi cosi capsule and adapters so it clicks in, the whole seat turns around so it's much better to push than a pram with handle bars that reverse. It has adjustable handles and the harness adjusts by heightening the seat. No rethreading etc. Not to mention it is a dream to push.

#18 R2B2

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

I got an agile last week and I have to admit i'm head over heels in love.
my bee has been relegated to a corner of my study wink.gif

the new agile has the adjustable handle (I got the old one because it was on sale) but not reversable unfortunately.

also a MASSIVE fan of Mountain buggy. though I don't think they have any lightweight options?!

Edited by R2B2, 01 January 2013 - 11:22 PM.

#19 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

I believe the Bugaboo Cameleon is only 9kg too. I loved mine, so easy to steer and push both on and off road. Good luck with your decision original.gif

#20 ~Panda~

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

QUOTE (SCARFACE CLAW @ 02/01/2013, 12:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe the Bugaboo Cameleon is only 9kg too. I loved mine, so easy to steer and push both on and off road. Good luck with your decision original.gif

The Cammy is great, but for an easy fold, I would say the Bee would be better? The Cammy is a two piece fold and takes up more room in the boot. It also feels a bit heavier than the Bee to me. But maybe I'm wrong there!

#21 noonehere

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

Mountain buggy has a mini version out now

#22 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

QUOTE (~Panda~ @ 02/01/2013, 12:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Cammy is great, but for an easy fold, I would say the Bee would be better? The Cammy is a two piece fold and takes up more room in the boot. It also feels a bit heavier than the Bee to me. But maybe I'm wrong there!

You're probably right, I haven't used a Bee before original.gif I think the whole two piece thing is part of what makes it lighter though, in that you're not picking up the whole pram at once, IYKWIM?

#23 ~Panda~

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

QUOTE (SCARFACE CLAW @ 02/01/2013, 12:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're probably right, I haven't used a Bee before original.gif I think the whole two piece thing is part of what makes it lighter though, in that you're not picking up the whole pram at once, IYKWIM?

Yes, good point!

#24 Tracieleigh

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

I've had both, the cameleon and now the bee +. I have to say, even though the two piece fold makes it possibly lighter, it's also a big pain in the you know what! It is a much comfier pram I think, but the bee is so easy original.gif

#25 noonehere

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

I wouldnt touch bugaboos... After playing with one instore it felt like crap compaired to the others. The hood was weak and flimsy and the wheels tiny on the bee. I dont get the fuss honestly.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

Tales from the homefront

When you're at work you sort of assume that your house is basically just sitting there quietly doing nothing until you return. However, since spending my days at home, I've learned this couldn't be further from the truth.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Video: Toddler not keen on clean-shaven dad

This little girl thought she was taking part in a standard game of peek-a-boo, but her dad had a surprise for her.

When will I feel like myself again?

At some point I became 'me' again, but not the same me that I was ... and that?s not a bad thing.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Win a House of Magic prize pack

To celebrate the release of the new movie House of Magic, we have 10 double passes and magic sets to give away just in time for these school holidays. Enter Now for a chance to win!

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Couple's bucket list for unborn baby

Jenna and Dan Haley know their baby's time will be limited, so they're packing in a lifetime of memories before he's even born.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.