Arrival of David Marc
Long sorry!!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vbos

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:51 PM

Hi all
Well, this is a story of the arrival of my little bird, David Marc, on 24 September 2012 at 2.45pm.
I was reading stories here in e months leading up to David's birth, but I w so scared of jinxing everything that I very rarely posted anything on any of the forums.
After a m/c in 2009 and two years of trying, we gave up on the idea of having a baby. That is, until 31 December 2011 when Dh and I were watching fireworks over Melbourne. I remember turning to him and saying "We are going to have a baby this year". On 21 January a baby came to me in my dreams and when I woke up, I used the very last pg test without even telling Dh... The rest is history!
My due date of 18 September came and went and nothing happened. On Saturday after my due date, Dh (Jim) and I went out for a pizza and I kept telling him that the baby wasn't moving as much as normal. At first we kinda dismissed it, telling ourselves that the bubs was preparing for the big arrival then around 9pm, I ended up calling the maternity ward and they got us to come in. The heart rate looked ok but movement wasn't it usually self. We were told to come in for monitoring again the following day just in case.
On Sunday we headed back to the hospital and after about an hour were sent to another hospital for a special ultrasound to check on placenta and the level of amniotic fluid around the baby. The test showed that baby was ok, but placenta started to deteriorate and the level of amniotic fluid was very very low. We ended up going back to the original hospital to get induced. I had the gel put in after internal showed that my cervix was high and no dilated at all. After an hour or so, I started to feel mild contractions so was quite pleased that 'something' was happening at last! I just had panadol to be a bit more comfortable and despite being constantly told to sleep, I could only manage about 45minutes. I was just too nervous/excited.
Next morning an other internal showed that I was 1cm dilated, which kind of disappointed me as I was hoping for a bit more progress. My waters were then broken after 6.30am and I was given a chance to have a shower before everything kicked in! My Dh arrived whilst I was in the shower and then i got to meet the lovely midwife who was going to look after me for the day.
The  Syntocinon drip was started around 7.00am and thing were progressing without too much of a problem for about an hour and a half. I was able to rock and breathe through the contractions and my Dh was a massive support to me.  Around 8.30 I asked my midwife for my TENS machine which I hired through the hospital. I found it really worked for me and was a huge relief to concentrate on something else! All was going smoothly but then my baby decided to spice things up. The midwife started to get concerned that it was taking the baby too long to recover from contractions and the heart rate was not improving quickly enough. She called in 2 obstetricians and it was suggested that internal monitoring will be required as a precaution.
This unfortunately ended my use of the TENS machine as it interfered with internal monitoring. I was pretty devastated. I managed to breathe through the contractions but was now restricted to being on the bed, something I really wanted to avoid. I was told a week or so before I was due to give birth that my baby was posterior but I didn't really understand how that would affect labour until I was in the midst of it lol. Now not only was I on the bed, I had to stay in one position because every time I moved to be on my side etc, baby's heart rate dropped. The only way I can explain the pain, is that it felt like someone was literally breaking my back. I was given gas, but it made me feel pretty yuck. My lovely midwife turned right down so that I could actually concentrate on something during my contractions. At 11am I was given an internal and was found to be 4cm dilated. The lovely obstetrician said that they needed to turn off the drugs because they baby needed some rest time and that they were a bit concerned that he was not coping well with the induction. It was decided that if after a bit of rest that heart rate didn't improve and the baby was still n such distress, emergency c-section was the only option. I was worried about getting a epidural too late but I was reassured that the  obstetrician will be able to put it in at the last minute.
I tried my best to breathe through the pain and was so scared to poo myself that I kept asking to get off the bed and go to the toilet lol. My midwife saw that I was in pain and that my back was killing me so she asked if I wanted to have water injections done. They are just subcutaneous and suppose to relieve back pain. Two midwives did the injections but I'm not sure how much they really worked... My contractions really intensified and at one stage I thought I peed myself, which in actual fact was more of my water gushing out. I remember looking at the clock and it said 1.45pm. I told Dh that I didn't think I would be able to keep doing this without epidural and we kinda reached the understanding that if things didn't progress, I would get an epidural.
I started telling everyone that I have to push, that I can feel myself pushing. Around the same time, whilst I was too busy dealing with contractions, bubs started to have difficult time again and the heart rate really started to drop. The obstetrician ran into the room and she told me that she just going to check me to see if there was a chance that I might have dilated but warned me that the chance was very slim as I was off drugs for almost 3 hours. She said that if I wasn't dilated I will be rushed for c-section and there prob won't be time for epidural and it would be under general anaesthetic. Must to the obstetricians surprise, she could see my baby's head!!! That's why I kept telling evyone I was pushing!!
I didn't see this part but Dh said that as soon as they realised I was dilated, 15 people rushed into the room. I remember being surrounded by people and then turning to see my Dh in tears. I was too intent on what I had to do to really take it all in, but according to Dh things started to go a bit downhill with the bubs....
I was told to really concentrate and push. I remember closing my eyes and just concentrating on my baby. That's it. I didn't scream. Dh said I only groaned once. I just needed to get my baby into my arms. In four pushes, my baby was in my arms. That's it. My baby, my little bird was finally with us. Yes, I had to have forceps, an episiotomy and a haemorrhage but I didn't care one tiny little bit. All up, I used TENS for a little bit, gas on low setting and the sterile water injection. Would I go through this again? In a heartbeat.

Our little bird is safely in our arms and we treasure him above all else.

Edited by vbos, 30 December 2012 - 08:52 PM.

#2 bluecardigans

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

Congratulations. Thank you for sharing. I am glad you were able to avoid a C section. Enjoy your baby boy.  babyboy.gif

#3 TinyTeddys

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

Congratulation on your little man!!

#4 elle-M

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

Lovely story, congratulations! My DS is David (we call him Davey) - great name.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Ideas for recording baby milestones

Get the props, lights and camera ready to record the milestone moments in your baby's first months and years. Tip: set a reminder in your phone (or jot it in a calendar) to make sure you remember it every month.

From penis amputation to fatherhood

After a botched circumcision as a child, Mike Moore was left without a penis. Years later, and after meeting the right surgeon, he was able to become a dad - naturally.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Your baby's first shoes, made with your own hands

Imagine someone saying to you, "Your baby?s shoes are magnificent, where?d you get them?" And you reply, "Oh, these? I made them."

Mother bites off pit bull's ear to save toddler

What would you do if your child was being attacked by a vicious dog? One mother recently had to learn the hard way.

Couple dies 15 hours apart after 70 years of marriage

A couple who held hands at breakfast every morning even after 70 years of marriage have died 15 hours apart.

Behind the scenes of Kate and George's cuddly photo

Every face is partially obscured, but there's no denying the happiness and love in the faces of the royal mum and bub.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Your baby?s developmental roadmap

Caring for your new baby can feel like driving along a dark highway without a GPS: you know your destination ? a happy, healthy human being ? but you?re not sure whether you?re heading in the right direction.

Breaking out of the isolation of motherhood

There can be many reasons for mummy isolation ? and you don?t have to be a new mother to feel like you're often doing it all alone. Here, mums share their stories of feeling isolated, and what they do to try to break out of it.

The billionaire baby with $10,000 worth of prams

When money is no object you can go all out when it comes to baby transportation, as this billionaire socialite has shown.

Medication helps depressed mums to breastfeed

Breastfeeding mums are often told their medication may pass into their milk, but a new study suggests the benefits of taking antidepressants are greater than any risks to baby.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.