Dairy intolerant children

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 SushiLover

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

I have two dairy intolerant kids, one boy, one girl. What type of milk do you give your dairy intolerant kids? I'm a bit worried about the affects of soy on boys but I don't know if there is any scientific base to the idea that its bad for boys.

#2 kiam

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

There is very little evidence supporting any issue with feeding boys soymilk.

I am lactose intolerant myself, I switch up my milks depending on what I feel like, soy, almond, oat, hazelnut mostly, I hate rice milk though.

Soy is usually highest in calcium and protein though.

#3 kiam

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

By the way, here's a little bit on info for you
http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/...en-and-soy-milk

http://nutrition.about.com/od/meatsandprot...pelsoymyths.htm

#4 PurpleWitch

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

Aidan has Harvey Fresh Lactose free milk. And Peters lactose free ice cream (The icecream tastes great!!)

#5 msro82

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

Lactose intolerant or cows milk protein intolerant?

When Dd was cows milk protein intolerant she drank rice milk, she grew out of this around 4.5.

She is now lactose intolerant and drinks/uses Liddell's lactose free milk (they also do a grated cheese)

#6 Fire_fly

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

I am dairy and soy free so usually use almond, coconut or rice milk. Rice milk is only used for cooking, it's yuck straight!

#7 librablonde

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

My DS has mostly grown out of his sensitivity to lactose. But I used to give him Liddles Lactose Free UHT milk and Liddle LF cream. There's also now Liddles LF tasty cheese in Woolies. He used to love Sanitarium soy vanilla ice-cream and we used Nutalexx for margarine.

#8 kiam

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (Fire_fly @ 30/12/2012, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am dairy and soy free so usually use almond, coconut or rice milk. Rice milk is only used for cooking, it's yuck straight!

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this, everyone I know who drinks it thinks that I'm nuts.

#9 msro82

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE (kiam @ 30/12/2012, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this, everyone I know who drinks it thinks that I'm nuts.

I've never drank it, but my daughter did from 18 months - she went from medicate formula to rice milk so I'm sure it tasted better! It absolutely stinks though the rice milk!

#10 pickledbrain

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

I use Oat Milk as it has the highest protein (think it was actually higher then soy which I don't use for young kids).  There is one brand that I like due to the protein level, all the others have much lower protein levels.  I spent ages in the milk isle checking each out against each other.  My dairy free child loves the oat milk, and I don't mind it but I wouldn't drink it all the time.

For me, protein is the most important thing and then the fat level.

#11 Riotproof

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

Ds drinks soy milk. He also has Kingland soy yoghurt, much better than Soylfe IMO, but they both taste gross to me.

#12 imamumto3

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:37 PM

rice milk here, although my kids rarely drink it straight

#13 mumto3princesses

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:49 AM

DD#2 drinks soy milk and eats soy yoghurt and ice cream. We have tried rice and almond milk but she hates it.

#14 ♥~Bodhichitta~♥

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:02 AM

My DS drinks soymilk.  He was having ricemilk, but I drink soy, so it made more sense for us both to drink the same.

He also has soy yoghurt, and soy icecream.

#15 Carmen02

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:50 AM

DS drinks liddells lactose free UHT milk, its quite nice i love drinking it too

Edited by Carmen02, 31 December 2012 - 06:51 AM.

#16 wesse

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:58 AM

DD has the vitasoy oat milk as it is calcium fortified and really her only source of calcium apart from broccoli, leafy vegetables etc.
She is milk protein intolerant.

Edited by wesse, 31 December 2012 - 06:59 AM.

#17 Ruby Gloom

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:29 AM

My eldest was diagnosed lactose intolerant and we went through the RPA allergy clinic to confirm the CMP intolerance that we suspected. As a baby he was on soy formula and then rice milk. still now he loves rice milk and hates straight soy milk.

When my youngest was born we were prepared for the same. When the same symptoms started to appear he was put on prescription formula. He then moved to rice milk.

Both boys had similar symptoms - eczema, gut problems, reflux to varying degrees. Now that they're  older and their bodies are bigger, I've started to introduce A2 milk and they seem to be tolerating it fine. I know the protein in A2 is a different ball game to lactose intolerance but so far so good with my two.

#18 Rhoxie

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

I am lactose intolerant and I drink harvey fresh lactose free milk (comes in normal 1L cartons in with the normal refridgerated milks). They also make pot set lactose free yoghurts and lactose free choc milk and ice coffee in 1L containers.  Proper Dairy made hard cheeses have minimal lactose so I do eat those and if I need cream I have liddels lactose free cream (in a uht in the desert aisle of coles). I'm on a FODMAP diet for irritable bowel/ stomach issues with eczema skin issues.

#19 CCLady

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

Can I butt in and ask... when did you realise your kids were milk protein intolerant and what were their symptoms?

Ta x

#20 Ruby Gloom

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:54 AM

CCLady - DS#1 had silent reflux from the get go but we never connected the dots. Dairy isn't always involved with reflux but for us, in hindsight, it was. When he was roughly 12 months old he had a bout of gastro (which can cause lactose intolerance) and his poos were acidic beyond belief (even after the gastro had gone) and he had ulcers on his bottom cheeks that were the almost the length of the cheeks and about the width of my finger. Since birth, however, he'd ALWAYS been explosive and there was never anything typical about his poos.

Once he was roughly 18months, the explosiveness hadn't settled down (despite eliminating most dairy as I suspected it was the culprit), some pathology was done and LI was confirmed. Then we went down the allergy clinic route to get everything else confirmed.

So basically, it was explosive, frothy, acidic poos (that caused ulcers) and eczema that first alerted us.

With DS#2 I think I just expected the same. At around 5/6 weeks his (vomiting) reflux reared its ugly, messy head, his poos started getting explosive and foul and we just went down the no dairy route. I MAY have been overreacting but I think it was understandable given what DS#1 had gone through. I think DS#2 might be SLIGHTLY CMPI (eczema) but not LI as his poos are "fine".

#21 Mmgb

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:30 AM

My daughter was milk protein intolerant and was formulated Neocate by the paediatrician. She was with this special milk for about a year and half. She was diagnosed when she was about 2 months so no even breast feeding.

She gain weight faster when she changed to Neocate and the transition back to milk was easy and she now loves milk and drinks 2-3 cups a day

#22 kej

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

My ds has cmp allergy, and has soy milk in cereal and soy yoghurt. I dont give him any milk as a drink, as i dont feel he needs it. I was worried about all those hormone related stories as well but i now think a little bit a day should be ok. Never tried any other type of milk yet either.

As a breast fed baby his symptoms were exorcist style spewing, and green mucousy poos and lots of poo. Being a first time mum i just thought he was a spewy baby and i had an oversupply. I did have an oversupply though and sonetimes wonder if that caused the allergy? Once solid food began and formula weaning began at 6 months he would get a bright red blotchy rash on his face, and then he can get swelling, hives, eczema, extreme hayfever symptoms, and mucousy restricted breathing. Hes never had much dairy so im not sure what would happen if he was to drink a whole glass of milk....

Edited by kej, 01 January 2013 - 08:56 AM.

#23 ~Joanne~

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

Our son was recently diagnosed as dairy intolerant. We started using a combination of soy and rice milk for him. Turned out that soy was a trigger for his excema so we only use rice milk now.

#24 SushiLover

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

If DS has any form of gluten, dairy or lactose he gets stomach cramps and diahorrea.

If DD has dairy (and I only worked this out in the last week - its been happening for a little while) she ends up with liquid diahorrea.

As DS is given Rice milk to drink we usually give DD the same - but as it was christmas we let her have ice cream and pavlova with had the cream on top of it. Thats when the liquid diahorrea started - well about 24 hours later.

#25 mesaana

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

All my 3 children are cmp intolerant.

The younger two have rice milk from the fridge section - which they both enjoy and have no problems with.

My oldest has oat milk - as she doesn't like any of the others.

I, too, do not give too much soy if I can help it.  Its just not its effect on boys - but girls too. I am hyper sensitive to all hormones and assume my kids would be too.  

Now all of us have pretty much gone dairy free, and feel much better for it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

The 'no children' wedding invite

It was the wedding of one of my oldest and dearest friends, and she had invited me to be her bridesmaid. It was quite an honour. But there was one problem.

Baby Dylan recovering well after spending five days alone

For up to five days he lay alone after his mother died of a suspected drug overdose, but eight-month-old Dylan Micallef has made an incredible recovery.

The mystery of William Tyrell, little boy lost

The question remains: How does a little boy simply vanish without a trace?

Woman fights off robber, then gives birth

A thief in the US got more than he bargained for when he try to rob a woman who was nine months pregnant because he figured she would be an easy target.

Video: Two-year-old tells mum off for laughing at her

This little girl is not happy that her mum started laughing during her performance - so she tells her exactly how she feels about it.

Coping with a bolter

My 15-month-old has suddenly added a burst of real speed to her toddle. She should be classed a flight risk.

Single, 51 and pregnant

Tracey Kahn didn't realise she wanted to become a mother until she was well into her 40s. Now 51, she is pregnant with her second child.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

The 'no children' wedding invite

"It's her wedding, so the day is all about her, not your baby." How major fall-out can occur over a simple wedding invitation.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.