Reading and writing
upon starting school

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 newphase

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

Has everyones child been able to write (not tracing) their name by themselves upon staring school, and/or been able to read...a few words, whole sentences??? Or not at all to either or one?

#2 baddmammajamma

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:17 PM

Per your other thread, the experiences are going to vary from child to child.

Some aren't reading or writing before the start of school and end up doing just fine; others struggle.

FWIW, my daughter was a wholly independent reader and writer when she started school at 5.5; my son has basic skills in both areas but nowhere near as advanced as his sister's skills.

In each of their FYOS classes, there have been kids with a very, very wide ranges of abilities -- from those with few foundational skills to those who were performing multiple grade levels above FYOS.

If I combine all the scenarios from your recent threads:

* A child on the young side (not 5 before start of school)
* A child who the preschool teachers don't think is ready for FYOS and recommend that (s)he start in 2014
* A child who is not able to write their name or read a few words

I would think hard about whether to send him/her in 2013. That's not to say I wouldn't ultimately decide to send him/her, but I would probably get an independent assessment to help inform my decision.

Edited by baddmammajamma, 30 December 2012 - 04:29 PM.

#3 jayskette

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

Everyone by year 1 should be at the same level. You have such a wide range of abilities upon entering kinder it's not worth comparing. I can read books before kinder and write my name. My nephew can just write his name and he is in kinder. My friends' kids range from able to read/write before 3 to just recognise their names in kinder now.

#4 OscarAndTilly

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

Our son is starting school this year and can't write his name or read. I'm sure there will be a huge variation in what children in the class can do.

#5 Grobanite

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

My Ds who is now 8yrs old started school being able to write his name and write other small words if we spelt them. He however couldn't read  and only read what he wrote cause he know what it was not because he could  read.

He is now learning above his grade in school. There are other kids in his grade that started school not being able to write at all and they are doing great at school.

All kids start school with different abilities  but they all end up in the same boat with their learning.

#6 baddmammajamma

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE (Grobanite @ 30/12/2012, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All kids start school with different abilities  but they all end up in the same boat with their learning.

With all due respect, no they don't.

Yes, there will be some even-ing out across the bulk of the class -- but there are always going to be kids who continue to struggle over time, and there are always going to be kids who are gifted and learn at a totally different speed/depth.

(not meant to be a snarky reply! original.gif )

Edited by baddmammajamma, 30 December 2012 - 04:35 PM.

#7 Kemismum

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

Ds could only write his name (in perfect mirror image) and recognise a few letters when he started school. This year in year 1 he was recognised for his reading capabilities.

The range of abilities on starting school is enormous. As a friend said to me when i was stressing about it, that is what the teachers ( her being one) are there to teach. At the school  another friend teaches at, some kids can barely understand English let alone read and write when they start. The growth in these kids is amazing compared to where we live where most kids come to school knowing 50% of the fyos curriculum.  It really depends on area.

#8 librablonde

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

DD could recognise and write her name and recognise all of the alphabet when she started Kinder at 4.5 yrs old. DS started Kinder at age 5 and could barely  hold a pencil and certainly not write his name or even draw a circle or straight line when he started Kinder. He couldn't recognise his name either. He knew some letters by sight, but not all. He ended up doing as well academically as his sister.

#9 seepi

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

My Dd could writer her name beautifully, but coulnd't read or write anything else at all.

A separate question, but would anyone send a child who was young for their age, couldn't write or draw anything nad hte kinder teacher recommended repeating, BUT the child was already old for their year? Not tall , if that matters.

#10 Excentrique Feral

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

DD could write her name, new most of the alphabet, and all her numbers to 10.

DS (starts 2013) knows 5 alphabet letters, recognizes numbers to 6 but cannot quite write his name though he does recognize it. I'm hoping he will pick it up quickly.

#11 liveworkplay

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

No. DD1 could write her name and recognise a few words. DD2 couldn't do either. At the end of the FYOS, DD2 was reading and spelling at a much higher level then DD1 was at the end of her FYOS. In fact, DD2 (who is going into grade 1) spells on par with DD2 (who is going into grade 3)

#12 newphase

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

I will add, to clarify, I have a 13yo DD (yr 8 next yr) and 11yo DS (grade 6), so have an understanding of all the variables re children, one who is VERY smart, and one who struggles at school academically speaking and one socially.... one also recently diagnosed with High Functioning Autism (the eldest).

I have not said my DS2 can not read or write, or write his name, but I haven't said he can either! original.gif

I am just getting an a broader idea from here, as to my now 4.8, as kids are so vastly different, and I can not even begin to compare (nor should I or anyone really...just for a small gauge though) him to his siblings and their abilities upon starting school or lack thereof.

#13 i-candi

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE (newphase @ 30/12/2012, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has everyones child been able to write (not tracing) their name by themselves upon staring school, and/or been able to read...a few words, whole sentences??? Or not at all to either or one?

DS could only read and write his first name however by the end of his first year of school he was reading at 3rd year level. Not sure about writing.

DD could read and write before she started school (benefits of having an older brother lol). She became an independent reader (home reading) by early term 1 second year of schooling.

I've worked in primary classrooms and see a huge range. All get attention according to their need (ie put in groups to work in).

#14 mumto3princesses

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

DD#1 could write her name and used to ask me to write words and copy them. She could possibly read simple books but it may have been memory too.

Then with my twins they were completly different. DD#2 could read and had a real love of books even then and she could write her name and anything else if we spelt it to her. On the other hand DD#3 used to run away from me if I looked like I was going to get a book. Didn't want anything to do with them and would NOT let anyone read her a story ever! LOL And she could barely write her first inital. She could recognise her name though.

#15 IsolaBella

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

My DS could write and recognise his name and the letters of the alphabet but did not know phonetic sounds. He finished Prep where he needed to be (average). He has just finished first grade at reading levels years ahead. Reading has just 'clicked' for him this year.

DS2 (who has been recommended to repeat 4yo kinder) knows the alphabet phonetically, can sound out and spell words, can read basic stories and knows the first 40 sight words (he asked to do them.... He learnt them quicker than his brother did too).

At 4.75 yrs he could not hold a pen correctly nor could he write his name, 3 wks doing a 1hr class each week and he could hold his pen and write his full name (9 letter name)

#16 SeaPrincess

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

When DS1 started in kindy (FYOS in WA), he knew all his letters and their sounds, and numbers up to 100, but couldn't write his name or read.  He just wasn't interested in writing, although we did read a lot.  It didn't take long before he was writing his name, but he didn't really start reading until mid-pre-primary.  He's just finished year 1, and is one of the best readers in his class.

DS2 started kindy this year at a similar level to DS1, but is already bringing home simple readers (different school from where DS1 did kindy).  He knows them after one reading, but he is also able to read some signs and sound things out - he read the plaque on the statue of Bon Scott, for example.

#17 Kay1

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

Everyone by year 1 should be at the same level.

I have heard this so many times and it simply makes no sense to me. My son was at the higher extreme of reading ability when starting school. He was reading at a 9 year old level at age 5 when he started FYOS.  He just picked it up very naturally. There were several kids in his class who did not know the alphabet. Those kids have come a remarkably long way very quickly and are mostly now (just finished Year 1) pretty good readers but to expect them to have caught up is not realistic. Even though I feel that my son has more or less stood still in his two years of school most of those kids are not reading at a 9 year old level.

#18 Jane Jetson

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

DD1 started FYOS at 4-9 and was able to write her name plus a couple of other words ("Mum" and "Dad", and a phonetic-ish version of DD2's name). She mostly knew her letters, not so much numbers. There seemed to be a great deal of diversity of ability in her class, as there were at least a couple of kids who were reading very well at the start of kindy.

Everyone by year 1 should be at the same level.

I'm not sure what you mean by this PP? If you mean that there's a minimum expectation at the end of FYOS, sure - our kids are expected to read at Level 5, for example. But there's a couple of kids in DD1's class (not DD1) who are at Level 20. They are by no means at the same level, nor should they be, as all children have strengths and weaknesses and vary in ability and diligence.

#19 Romeo Void

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

DD has just finished FYOS.  When she started she could not write her name, I think from memory she could scrawl an N which is her initial.  She could say the alphabet but could not write a single letter.  She could count to about 10.  Plenty of kids could to heaps more though and I was worried initially, but by the end of the year DD had caught up and was somewhere in the middle of the pack and moving upwards.

#20 **Tiger*Feral**

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

----

Edited by Tyrone Finkelmeyer, 26 March 2013 - 08:39 PM.

#21 vanessa71

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

DS is starting school next year and he has been able to read all the names of his classmates from kinder all through this year, however he is not overly good with writing. He can spell his own name out easily and some other words, but he is not good with holding the pen and writing.

#22 newphase

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

In other words, being able to write at age 4 is not necessarily predictive of academic success or not, there are many other things to look at.
I know, it is just curiosity where others kids are at when starting school, nothing more, nothing less original.gif

#23 JKTMum

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

My three are;

DS (now going into year 10, started school at 5.5) is academically on the higher end of average, he doesnt win any academic awards at his Catholic secondary, but does fairly well (was in the advanced maths class and the advance LOTE class this year but didnt blitz those subjects). He was reading short sentences before starting school and had a fairly good memory for words, could read quite a few nouns without having to sound out. He could also write his 6 letter first name and our 6 letter surname without help before starting school. He has always struggled with handwriting and still has messy writing.

DD1 (now going into year 7, started school a month before turning 6) is academically average although surprises us sometimes when she blitzes tests. She has Aspergers which was only diagnosed 3 years ago, and according to the IQ test she had on diagnosis is actually low average IQ (she was so pedantic about certain parts of the test that she scored low because she wouldnt complete them unless she was confident she could get them all right  wink.gif so that skewed her scores a bit). She scores right on where she should be for all subjects, but through most of primary school was six months advanced in reading. She started school only knowing the alphabet, being able to write her first name without help and could read a small number of words, like cat, dog, mum etc. By the end of the year though she was reading at a high level compared to many of her classmates (certainly not the highest).

DD2 (now going into year 5, started school at 5.5) is bright but we have never had her tested. She could recognise letters at 2 (upper and lower case and their sounds) and started reading on her own at 3 (same year her sister started school so we were sitting at night doing readers and DD2 would read too, at first we thought she was just parroting, but only a few weeks later she was picking up unfamiliar books and reading them word for word). She has always had an amazing memory (her paternal grandfather apparently had an almost photographic memory), but her comprehension is keeping pace with her decoding ability. She was able to write her name unaided at 3.5 when she started 3 year old kinder and has always had great handwriting, given that she is left handed, I was told by her Prep teacher that she was pretty unusual because she had perfect word spacing of her writing which is generally really difficult for a left hander due to them covering what they have just written. Once she got to Prep (FYOS in Victoria) it was also found that she had quite advanced numeracy skills too and has always been at least 12 - 18 months ahead each year in that. There are a couple of kids in her year level though who were not reading on starting school with her but are now as high if not higher in reading ability, same with numeracy, there were kids who couldnt count past 10 who are now quite advanced academically in maths.

#24 Therese

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

Both my girls could write their names (one messily) and could recognise some words and knew the alphabet and could do maths in their head (self taught for the first child, older sister helped for the second).

My oldest ended up being one of the most advanced readers in her FYOS. She was however probably one of the messiest writers.

My youngest was one of the neatest writers and although she could read well half way through her FYOS she wasn't up to the same level as her sister.

#25 Feral Madam Mim

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

DS1 could write his name, write up to 20 and read and write the alphabet, DD and DS2 however have not been able to do any of that, they can count to 10 and that's about it. Though DS1 started school at 4, dd and ds2 will be 3 when they start kinder as they were born in the beginning of the year.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Mums reveal their nappy bag essentials

Ever wondered what other mums carry in their nappy bags? We have, so we asked mums to tell us their must-have nappy bag items.

Toddler died because he wasn't given antibiotics soon enough

A 15-month-old boy would almost certainly be alive today if doctors had given him antibiotics sooner, a coroner has ruled.

VIDEO: moment a toddler falls on to train tracks in Melbourne

Shocking footage has emerged capturing the moment a pram carrying a toddler rolled off a platform and onto train tracks in suburban Melbourne.

Sold on natural birth? Read the fine print

In the excitement and anticipation of a first pregnancy, I ignored the fine print: some women, some of the time.

Child with alcoholic mum who drank while pregnant won't win pay-out

A young child is not entitled to criminal injuries compensation after her mother drank excessively while pregnant.

Superbugs killing India's babies, posing wider threat

A deadly epidemic that could have global implications is quietly sweeping India, tens of thousands of newborns dying because antibiotics no longer work.

Can you teach a toddler to sleep in?

Parents share their tips on getting their early risers to sleep in, even for just a little bit longer.

Keeping your relationship on track as new parents

About 70 per cent of couples experience a slump in their relationship within three years of having a baby. Here's how we tried to get back on track.

America's favourite baby names of 2014

Americans are turning to television, Netflix and sports for ideas for what to name their wee ones.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.