5 wks to go and still no girls names :(

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 cabbagepatch

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:40 PM

So we cannot agree on a girls name... And we are due in 5 weeks (maybe less if this little one keeps headbutting me Tounge1.gif)

So for boys we have 3 options:

Noah Samuel (current favourite)
Angus Jacob (will use if bub is a chubby bub)
Harry Oliver (don't 'love' it anymore)

Girls: this is where the fun starts...

Sophie (hubby won't agree to Sophia/Sofia)
Chloe (hubbys fav)
Eloise (my fav)
Lily

We already have a Daphne Rose so would like something 'girly' to match, but everything seems to be top 10...

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

#2 baddmammajamma

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

Daphne is one of my all time favourite names.

I love it because it's feminine and well known... yet not very common.

Sophie, Chloe & Lily are all very lovely names, but they are super popular. Eloise is gaining steam as well.

Because I'm someone who enjoys looking outside of the top names, I'd go with something classic yet a bit under the radar (like Daphne!)

Celeste
Jemima
Giselle
Beatrix
Bridget
Camille
Phoebe
Elise

Good luck with your decision & with the rest of your pregnancy!

#3 strawberry blondes

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

I think Eloise goes best with Daphne. Perhaps Eloise Lily?

#4 OneProudMum

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

Daphne & Esme
Daphne & Miette
Daphne & Georgette
Daphne & Iris
Daphne & Inez
Daphne & Mabel

DAPHNE & MABEL!!!!! They will so get Daph & Mabs when they grow old!

Edited by OneProudMum, 29 December 2012 - 09:51 PM.

#5 newphase

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

I'll make it easy...choose Lily (Lillie...my friend spelt it this way for her DD) so you can have a theme...made it easier in the end for me to choose names for my 2nd and 3rd kids...Mine was an Irish theme though! Narrowed the field down!

#6 MooGuru

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

Ooh I like Camille and Iris! Dahlia, jasmine, heather, daisy, poppy, laurel , violet and Calla are also flower inspired.

If you like Eloise but want something a bit different: Louise, Louisa, Ella, Elise, Alyce, Elissa, Alyssa, Eliza...

Daphne and Eloise seem to match quite well.

#7 Ingrid the Swan

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

I like Lily and Sophie, not that keen on Chloe and really dislike Eloise.

Maybe keep all of the names as options though, and wait and see firstly if you need a girl's name or if you end up having a DS, and secondly whether your baby happens to look like one of the names more than the others.

#8 Jenferal

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

Off topic...but why does the baby's weight factor in what you call him for the rest of his life???
Are you really going to call him Angus Jacob ONLY if he's a chubby baby at birth? I find that a bit weird. If you like Noah(which i LOVE) why not call him that, regardless of his birth weight. And being chubby at birth has no bearing on the rest of his life.

On topic, i love the name Camille(or how about Camilla?) and Eloise.

ETA: When he asks why you named him the name you did, are you really going to say"I called you Angus because you were a fat baby?"  I just don't understand it, sorry.

Edited by Jenflea, 29 December 2012 - 10:14 PM.

#9 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

Eloise and Lily are both lovely. We found it hard picking DD2 and 3 names. They were both named a few days after they were born.

I wouldn't worry about how popular a name is. DD1s name has been top 10 for 6 years and we hardly know any kids with here name.

DD3's name is low down in the top 100 but we have come across several people with the same name. Who can really tell just by a list. lol

#10 cabbagepatch

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

At this stage I love Noah and Angus... and if he is a big boy Angus seems more fitting - probably terribly illogical but it's the easiest way of explaining the 'wait till they get here and see what they look like' theory...

Baddmamma, I have suggested every one of your names over the last few months (although Elise was Eliza) and all have been shot down except Phoebe - so its one we can both agree to 'like' original.gif

One proud mum: Mabel is awesome! But I think DH is too much of a simpsons fan to give me that one wink.gif

#11 kerilyntaryn

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

Noah Samuel (current favourite) = nice
Angus Jacob (will use if bub is a chubby bub) - ok
Harry Oliver (don't 'love' it anymore) - ok,  Henry and Daphne goes nice

Sophie (hubby won't agree to Sophia/Sofia) love it
Chloe (hubbys fav) nice
Eloise (my fav) nice
Lily ok - very popular

others

Elise
Zoe
Amelia
Bethany
Heidi
Chelsea
Zoe

these go well and not so popular

Elsie
Phoebe
Penelope
Audrey
Sadie
Aubrey
Josie
Lori/Laurie/Laurel - has the same meaning as Daphne too

Edited by kerilyntaryn, 29 December 2012 - 11:42 PM.

#12 little lion

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

How about Hazel?

#13 ani1

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:23 PM

Chloe Eloise? Goes well together original.gif

#14 kerilyntaryn

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

oh yes Daphne and Hazel - nice

#15 Gudrun

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

Both Noah Samuel and Angus Jacob are great options!  I'd scrap the third one.

For a girl I would also have said Laurel, Celeste, Daisy, Jemima, Sadie, Eliza...

Daphne goes with so much.   Some other ideas:

Briar
Sorrell
Amaryl
Erica
Elodie
Christabel
Soleil
Phaedra
Xanthe
Allegra
Anthea
Althea
Odette
Nerida
Neroli
Greer
Lorelei
Flora
Venus
Adele
Irene
Pearl
Topaz
Thea
Corinne
Clara
Romy
Vashti
Lola
Nina

#16 pinkblue

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

I absolutely love your girls names! We have the exact same names on our list minus Eloise.

If this one is a little girl, she'll be Lily Rose  wub.gif If we have a second girl one day, names on our list are Sophie, Chloe & Ava.

We're having the exact same problem with boys names! Still no definite name picked out and bub was due 2 days ago!

#17 happygurl06

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

You still have time!  DH and I were still discussing girls names during labour wink.gif. Lucky I had a boy because the name we Greed on I'm sure I would not like now.

My current favourite is Audrey.

#18 Magenta_

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

Hi there,

I like Daphne Rose and Samuel Jacob.
For another suggestion Daphne Rose and Hugo Samuel sound cool together too.

For the girls, my favourite from your list would be Daphne Rose and Eloise May.
Lois and Eliza are both really pretty too and not very common.  
Daphne Rose & Lois May or Eliza May sound great together.

Good luck!

Magenta

#19 IamAuntyA

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

mellow.gif Daphne and Molly original.gif Out of your picks my fave is Sophie
Good luck  hheart.gif

#20 Fastrunnydog

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

A vote for Daphne and Hazel!

#21 lovepink

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

What about Tiffany? Aurelia? Giselle? Cerise?  Hazel? Seraphina?

#22 elizabethany

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE (Jenflea @ 29/12/2012, 11:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Off topic...but why does the baby's weight factor in what you call him for the rest of his life???
Are you really going to call him Angus Jacob ONLY if he's a chubby baby at birth? I find that a bit weird. If you like Noah(which i LOVE) why not call him that, regardless of his birth weight. And being chubby at birth has no bearing on the rest of his life.

On topic, i love the name Camille(or how about Camilla?) and Eloise.

ETA: When he asks why you named him the name you did, are you really going to say"I called you Angus because you were a fat baby?"  I just don't understand it, sorry.

I was specifically NOT called Karen because I was a chubby baby.  My initials would have been KEG.

#23 *Chyloe*

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

I like Sophie, but it is really popular.  Chloe is fine also, but again is popular.  Not fussed on Eloise or Lily.

What about....

Emily
Sarah
Elizabeth
Katherine
Susanne
Eleanor
Abigail
Annabell
Isobel
Margaret

#24 piggyp

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:55 AM

I like all of the names you have on your list!

We have a Florrie (she is just Florrie, not Florence), which I obviously love.

How about Pippa, Emily, Sadie, Maisy, Daisy, Ella, Lola, Charlotte, Hannah?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

WIN two Sea-Bands plus $1000

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band Prize Pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos Gift Card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.