20 DAYS TO ORGANISE & CLEAN YOUR HOME CHALLENGE
Anyone want to play?

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#1 ChunkyChook

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

I have decided to start this next Wednesday. Just wondering if anyone else is keen?

#2 Purelle

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

Count me in!!!! Sounds interesting biggrin.gif

#3 Ducky*Fuzz

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

Why not. I need to get it done and my husband is on holidays as well.

#4 ChunkyChook

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

I plan on following this as close as possible http://theorganisedhousewife.com.au/organi...hallenge-day-1/
It wont work perfectly for me as some days look quite overwhelming but I think it will be a good starting point and will tweak it to suit.

#5 tibs

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

Sounds good but I'm afraid 20 days may not be enough  ph34r.gif

Edited to add I just looked at the link above and I'd be happy if my kitchen cupboards looked like the before photos so 20 days definitely won't be enough but I guess you have to start somewhere original.gif

Edited by tibs, 29 December 2012 - 09:53 PM.

#6 luke's mummu

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

I just had a look at the website - looks good, but I would need 20 weeks.

#7 slvhwke

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:08 PM

I'm in.  My house desperately needs to be decluttered!

#8 emma_jean

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

Definitely up for this. Might be the focus I need.

#9 ChilliDog

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

I'd love to give it a go but not sure I can do it in 20 consecutive days because i have to go to work.

I think our house is generally not too but but do struggle with things like bench top clutter.

#10 Wise Old Owl

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

After a week of sickness in this house involving all 5 of us I am super keen to organise and clean my house!!!

I clicked on the link and read day 1 - how do you access the rest of the challenge?  It says to sign up to challenge but it was started a couple of months ago....

#11 Lainskii

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE (OneBlueStar @ 29/12/2012, 11:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After a week of sickness in this house involving all 5 of us I am super keen to organise and clean my house!!!

I clicked on the link and read day 1 - how do you access the rest of the challenge?  It says to sign up to challenge but it was started a couple of months ago....

Towards the bottom of the page there is a link that says 'click here to view day 2 tasks.

#12 tamietamara

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

I am so in!  This looks fantastic!!! Just what we need.  And since hubby and I are both on holidays def achievable. I love that it is heavily structured and easy to stick to. I am happy to start we'd as well with the next few days spent doing the pre-challenge tasks as she sets out. Can't wait!

#13 LittleListen

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:21 AM

I'm in - our house is going on the market at the end of the month, so I am totally up for this. It must happen. I'll go with the Organised housewife lists as I've done them before and they will help me get done every thing I need to get done this time around.

For those who are overwhelmed by the Organised Housewife's lists (they are intense!), try these ones

Or a real simple baby-steps introduction you could use each day here

#14 purpleblackqueen

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:02 AM

Just curious, how do those of you that have kids plan to do this??? There is no way known to man I could even attempt this whilst my kids are on school holidays.

#15 LittleListen

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

Can't answer that PBQ. I work full time with no kids and I have planned out to spend 30 -40 mintues each evening, using a timer, so that I don't take on more than I can complete in one go and get defeated.

So last night I went right through the 20 challenge posts with my diary and wrote a list for each day for the next 20 days (i'm starting today as we are on a time limit and have the 'big clean' to do at the end.

With the Organised Housewife lists, there were lots of things I have recently done or we don't have those rooms in our place or those things wouldn't work on a week day as they need a bit more time, so I swapped them to a weekend.

Having it in my diary means I will stick to the list and I won't be tempted to try and do more on one day. I'll post my list shortly.

#16 emma_jean

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:10 AM

I have kids and I think it's doable? I guess I will know more after today. But really I think whatever I can do will be good and moving in the right direction.

#17 LittleListen

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

My 20 Days List (heavily modelled on the Organised Housewife 20 day challenge)

1. Kitchen:
Clean: benches, top of cupboards, cupboard doors, clean microwave, wipe over walls, dust light fittings
Declutter: under kitchen sink
Organise: clear kitchen bench, tidy under sink.

2. Bedroom:
Clean: Wash all bedding (takes 2 days as no line, so unders first), vacuum mattress/air. pick up all items and put away, dust surfaces, vacuum floor and under bed
Declutter: Bedside tables
Organise: DH's bedside table

3. Laundry:
Clean: Wipe over laundry sink, clean all shelves/surfaces,
Declutter: cleaning products/shelves
Organise: Shelves

4. General:
Clean: Pantry shelves
Declutter: Out of date food in pantry
Organise: Pantry

5. Bathroom:
Clean: shower, around taps, mirror, vanity, tub, sink, toilet
Declutter: Vanity cupboard (doing this on a later day)
Organise: Shower caddy

6. Fridge:
Clean: Fridge
Declutter: Out of date foods
Organise: Door of fridge - completely clear off

7. Dining
Clean: Hobby cupboard, dust in display cupboard
Declutter: Display cupboard

Organise: Hobby cupboard

8. Lounge
Clean: Air decorative cushions, wash cushion covers, wash throw rugs, dust all units, clean light fittings, clean lounge and condition
Declutter: Coffee table
Organise: Decorations and furniture layout

9. Kitchen:
Clean: Oven deep clean (overnight)
Declutter: Tupperware cupboard
Organise: Cutlery drawer

9. Laundry:
Clean: Washing machine
Decluttter: Laundry linens
Organise: Laundry linens

10. Bathroom:
Clean: Bathroom cabinet
Declutter: Bathroom Cabinet
Organise: Bathroom Cabinet

11. Wardrobe:
Clean, declutter, organise: My wardrobe
Clean, declutter, organise: Dh's wardrobe

12.Random:
Clean bottom shelf of pantry
Declutter: Medicine cabinet/shelf

Organise: freezer

13. Spare Room
Clean: shelves
Declutter: filing cabinet
Organise: filing cabinet

That's the end of the list from Organised Housewife the way I have done it, selecting only the tasks that apply to me.

14. Floors - all floors vacuumed and washed

Days 14-20 will be spent deep cleaning each room one at a time ready for showing. I'm really hoping that by doing it this way, I won't be overwhelmed or defeated. I'm also packing a box of non essential things every day for the 20 days and storing them so that when we come to the move it won't be too intense.

I don't think it really matters what you do or what order you do it in, as long as you have a plan. There are some fantastic printable checklists on google and pinterest for those who just want to start slowly or take longer than the 20 days.

Bring on the 20 days I say!!

Edited by eyesabove, 15 January 2013 - 07:59 PM.

#18 MrsWidget

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

QUOTE (Madame Catty @ 29/12/2012, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe I'm reading it wrong but I found the first day overwhelming.  If I had no other chores, it would be achievable, but I lost enthusiasm reading through her list.  Maybe I'm just lazy.

Then I am too. I was keen till I saw that list.  ohmy.gif

#19 Beancat

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

I have started but not to this schedule and it will take me more than 20 days too.  I have a 4yo and 1yo and am 21 weeks pregnant, so I am limited as to what I can get done each day.

So far I have:

Cleaned out DS's clothes and toys and reorganised his room
cleaned out DDs clothes and toys and am in the process of reorgansing her room
Cleaned out my clothes
Started onthe spare room
Bought some storage solutions form Ikea, wardrobe, x2 chests of draws and toy storage unit.

My focus this week is to finish DDs room, clean the family room and clean the fridge and pantry

#20 lilmissmars

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:52 AM

This looks great. I'm going to get a notebook and get some lists going (would use her print outs but I have no printer and its 90 cents a page at our local computer place.)

If I get time ill start today!

#21 Maple Leaf

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

I will give this a shot. Even if I do half each day it's better than nothing! original.gif

#22 Sentient Puddle

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

Does everyone who uses a toaster every day like we do - actually put it away under their sink after every use??? Just seems to waste time and energy to have an appliance free bench???? Seems really weird to me.

#23 gina70

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

Would love to join. I have about 20 days of holidays left and would like the house (and garden) to be totally organised before I go back.  I have already started my kitchen; I am cleaning 1(or more) cupboard/s each day while I cook the dinner.  I have started the garden too.

#24 ChunkyChook

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

ILBB I do. I'm a bit weird though. I empty my kettle and put it in the cupboard too  ph34r.gif

Maple Leaf, I figure the same. Something is better than nothing. It doesn't matter if it doesn't get done in 20 days. We can all just encourage each other and share our own achievements and ideas.

Edited by ChunkyChook, 30 December 2012 - 10:23 AM.

#25 kpingitquiet

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

I'm in, though I'm kinda cheating because we've just spent a week renovating and cleaning. I'll officially start on Weds when vacation is over.

And no, we do NOT put our toaster away every day. Coffee pot, toaster, kettle, knife set, utensil canisters, cutting boards, and fruit bowl live on the counter and always will. original.gif All the "occasional" appliances like waffle iron, stand mixer, slow cooker, etc are up on open steel pipe shelves on the wall.

My mom's kitchen, however, has a super nifty panel that slides down (kinda like a bread box) and conceals coffee pot and toaster. Very handy!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Tell us what you think

to WIN 1 of 2 $500 Coles/Myer gift cards

Dealing with a toddler's morning tantrums

Your schedule is not important to your two-year-old, and you cannot convince her otherwise. So what can you do?

Child in suitcase 'could have died eight years ago'

A child whose remains were dumped in a suitcase in the South Australian bush is believed to have been a girl aged between two-and-a-half to four.

MP breastfeeds baby during parliamentary session

An Argentinian mum and politician has caused a stir on social media after being filmed breastfeeding her baby.

My baby's first seizure

It was 1am on a cold winter's night when I woke suddenly to the screams of my 12-month-old son. Our lives were about to change forever.

Portable pools 'more dangerous than permanent ones'

Inflatable and portable children's pools may be required to be sold with compulsory fencing to prevent backyard drownings, with some experts even floating the idea of a ban.

Heartbreaking moment mum kisses her one-week-old goodbye

At 11.07am on April 2 this year, Sarah Marriott welcomed baby Sebastian into the world.

The amazing Tee Pee bed and kid-friendly Frankie Bunk bed

These kids' beds definitely fit the brief of providing personality and personal space for little people who are moving up in the world.

The funny things kids say when you're pregnant

Since becoming noticeably pregnant, my son has taken more of an interest in the sibling he'll soon have.

The real problem with having one child

In this age of political correctness, it seems the one subject still subject to discrimination is that of the Only Child.

Six-week-old baby found dead, believed stabbed

A neighbour heard a child screaming before a baby was found dead, believed to have been stabbed, in a house in Newcastle.

The fire hazard in more than 70,000 Australian homes

So far, 206 Samsung washing machines have caught fire and some have exploded. But many remain in people's homes.

How having a baby can bring on OCD

We all know that having a baby can turn your life upside down - and it can also bring a raft of new anxieties and worries.

IVF gender selection being considered for Australian parents

Couples using IVF may be able to choose the gender of their babies and women could be financially compensated for donating their eggs.

The best age to get married (according to the latest study)

Not too young, and not too old. That's reportedly the best age to get married. Not everyone agrees.

Yes, you can get pregnant before your period returns post-baby

After giving birth, the last thing you want to think about is contraception. But you can get pregnant before your period comes back.

Fellow diner rewards mum after toddler's tantrum

Parents of toddlers everywhere know the feeling. After working up the courage to take your child out for lunch or dinner in public you are rewarded with a mid-meal meltdown. 

IKEA begins massive safety campaign after two toddler deaths

Two children were killed when pieces from their Malm furniture line tipped over.

Beaneasy: sweet nursery furniture with a twist

If you're looking to introduce an organic element into your baby's nursery but want to step away from natural timber, we have the perfect alternative.

A dad's guide to hyperemesis

I am in no way qualified to advise women on how to cope with hyperemesis, but I've learnt some lessons that might be worth sharing with other partners.

Woman adopts best friend's four daughters after cancer tragedy

Best friends share everything - and for these two life-long friends, that includes family.

Baby Leo's mum excluded from $500K trust 'for her own protection'

Samuel Forrest didn't want his wife as a trustee of their baby Leo's half million dollar trust for her own "protection", it has emerged.

Confirmed: men gain weight when they become dads

Men who become fathers experience weight gain and an increase in body mass index, a measurement of body fat based on height and weight, according to a new, large-scale study

Carer investigated over washing machine photo posted 'for a laugh'

She said the photo of a boy with Down syndrome in a washing machine was taken just for fun, but no one else was laughing.

Mum's premature labour nightmare after high tea salmonella outbreak

An opulent high tea at a luxury Melbourne hotel has left 44 people with salmonella poisoning - including a pregnant woman, who went into early labour.

The day my son started a fire

Would you know what to do in a fire emergency? How safe is your home and family?

Prince George celebrates second birthday

Prince George's second birthday has been marked by the release of an official picture showing the toddler smiling as he is held by his proud beaming father.

Which beauty treatments are safe in pregnancy?

Is it safe to use fake tan, hair dye and nail varnish during pregnancy?

The five ways I know my 'baby' is no longer a baby

The truth is, I can no longer deny that my walking, babbling, somewhat-independent little miss is no longer a bona fide 'baby'.

Review: Cybex Platinum PRIAM pram

I'm not usually one who believes in love at first sight but that's exactly what happened when I first saw the Cybex PRIAM.

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Tell us what you think

to WIN 1 of 2 $500 Coles/Myer gift cards

Why I'm choosing to be a single mother right from the start

I believe that you get out of families what you put into them, and I will give mine my all.

Mother and baby units are a necessity for mental health, not a luxury

I have had two postnatal psychotic episodes. The first when my eldest child was six weeks old, and another after my second child was born.

30 French baby names

French names are always in fashion, but a few have risen in popularity in recent years.

New mum's Spanish maternity nightmare

A British woman who gave birth in Spain has told of her ordeal after spending weeks trying to convince medics the baby girl was hers.

Preparing Rover to be a good dog with baby

Some friends of ours say that it's dangerous to have a dog around a newborn and that we should start looking for a new home for him. Is it?

Company offers to ship working mums' breast milk home

First Apple and Facebook announced they would pay $20,000 towards the cost of their female employees freezing their eggs, now IBM in the US has come up with an innovative new policy aimed at retaining female employees.

Prince William speaks of his pride at wife Kate and 'little joy of heaven' Charlotte

The Duke of Cambridge opened up about family life and his plans for the future in an interview to mark his first day as an air ambulance pilot.

'Glowing' eye saves baby Mason's life

A simple photo taken in front of an evening fire gave new mother Sarah Bowers the power to save her baby's life. 

Parenting and decision overload

Of all the advice people told me before having a baby, no one warned me about the amount of decisions involved.

Proof that toddlers can't be left unsupervised - ever

Parents of toddlers all know the moment when realise your child is being suspiciously quiet. It can only mean one thing - trouble!

Meet Jeremy Ryan, The Voice contestant with seven kids

If you have trouble recalling the ages of Jeremy Ryan's seven children on The Voice, you're not alone. So does he.

Baby's adorable reaction to wearing glasses for the first time

Getting glasses can be a formative moment in a person's life.

Police officer buys supplies for family after mum of six caught shoplifting

When a mum of six was caught shoplifting nappies, clothes and shoes for her kids, the last thing she expected was for a stranger to pay for her haul.

Why pregnant women on antidepressants shouldn’t panic about birth defect claims

The risk of having uncontrolled depression is far greater than the small increased risk of birth defects that may be associated with specific antidepressants.

Arrests made over children's birthday party brawl

Police have raided properties and arrested a number of people over a brawl at a child's birthday party at a play centre in Sydney's west.

Family shares awesome drone baby announcement

Looking for a creative way to share some big news? Look to the skies, like this family did.

Young warrior Owen defies doctors' predictions

Little Owen DiCandilo's name means "young warrior", and it's a description that perfectly fits the inspiring 18-month-old

Advice for dads: when to approach your wife for sex

The exhaustion that comes with caring for young children often means romance between parents becomes a thing of the past.

I might be fat, but I don't need saving

I've been fat for pretty much most of life, besides a few crazy moments of being less-fat, but for the most part I've existed on this earth with a little more meat on my bones than desirable.

The rookie mistakes we make as parents

Since the dawn of civilisation, generation after generation of new parents have had to rely on instinct, trial and error - and sometimes get it wrong.

FREE TICKET

See Pinky McKay live in Sydney

Get your free ticket to The Essential Baby & Toddler Show and save $20 - register online now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.