Tips on how to do the school run with 6 littlies

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 muggins_00

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

We're expecting baby #5 late July/August and I'm wondering what will be the best way to do the school run. DS1 will be first year of school, DS2(4yo) is at kinder 4 days (2 of which are drop offs before school starts) and the twins will be 3 in November. I was thinking a capsule would be easiest for transferring the newborn in and out of the car but then I'll only have 1 hand free for the toddlers.

Should I just suck it up and put bub in the sling/ergo and just deal with the inevitable waking a sleeping baby issue? Is there another option I haven't thought of?? 2 days a week we'll be able to walk to school when the weather is decent, but 1 day we have playgroup at the school and the other 2 I need to do the kinder run as well.

ETA: Make that 6 littlies, twins again  ohmy.gif

Edited by muggins_00, 04 January 2013 - 09:14 AM.

#2 rob6712col

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

I have never used one but perhaps the capsule that clips directly into the pram? I know it is a pain to get the pram out each time but that way you can have the toddlers holding on to each side of the pram. Not sure about your eldest childs school but ours has a drop off zone in the mornings and afternoons so you don't have to get everyone out of the car.  Perhaps 2 terms of dropping DS1 off and then using the drop off/pick up zones, at least it is one time you don't have to get everyone out.

#3 winkywonkeydonkey

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

A mum at kindy this year found a capsule a lifesaver. She had several toddlers too but us other mums were always giving her a hand
I would do a capsule or a ergo. The best thing about capsule is bub just stays asleep .

good luck.

#4 tibs

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

Congrats  biggrin.gif  I have the strider plus double pram with my capsule for newborn on top and seat at the bottom for toddler.  Of course with your twins you will still have to walk with one of them but really the capsule is soooo much easier than the ergo.  I also have an ergo and use it whenever baby is awake when we arrive at school for drop off/pick up.  So far that has been once - she is 3 months old.

#5 mibi

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

We hired a capsule and pram travel system with DD and it was the best thing ever. It was great to just lift the capsule out and click it into the pram - DS#1 started school when DD was 3 months old and I also had to take DS#2 to preschool 2 days a week. I can't recommend it enough!!

#6 Kay1

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

Yep I agree. I hired the snap and go capsule with stroller and its been a godsend when doing a double pick up/drop off.

Personally I'd do this and then get harness/backpacks for the 2 year olds if you are concerned they might bolt or if there's lots of traffic around. I just get my two (4 and 7) to hold onto the stroller when we cross a road.

Can you do kiss and drop for your primary school child in the mornings? This helps a lot especially if its wet. I also arranged friends to pick up and drop off my kids in the early weeks - not every day but a few days a week and that really helped.

Oh and congrats!!

#7 muggins_00

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

I've got backpack harnesses for the twins but it's bit like walking a pair of excitable puppies, they get all twisted in each other and one stops to check something out while the other is trying to run forward laughing2.gif  School pick up is fine as my husband will be home to do that or look after the others while I do it.

Edited by muggins_00, 29 December 2012 - 08:48 PM.

#8 The 7 Dwarfs

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

I had 5 that young too, I just used a capsule which I carried and made all the kids keep one hand on to said capsule at all times until we got into the kinder gate.  

I would only get the pram out if I knew I was going to be in there longer than expected. If not, then getting the pram in and out was more trouble then it was worth.

#9 Ice Queen

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

Yes, I love the capsule!

My only other suggestion is do you have a friend doing school drop off at the same time who wouldnt be rushing?  It might be worth coming to an arrangement a day or two when you can have someone drop their child then come out, stay by your car while you do the drop off.  To not have to get them all out of the car would be awesome!

#10 TurtleTamer

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

If it's a short walk I'd take the capsule, have one kid in the other hand and one holding onto the handle of the capsule with me.  If you were doing the pram thing a capsule on one of those frame things which aren't a full pram would be less of a pain, one kid holding each side.

We also had 5, eldest in FYOS with newborn but school drop off we can drop off without having to take to the classroom and daycare we could park right at the front door so just got them through the gate without having to hold on too much which at nearly 3 should be doable (our #4 was 21 months and would have been trickier for any further than we already had though).

Edited by TurtleTamer, 29 December 2012 - 09:44 PM.

#11 MrsDoyle

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

I find capsules to be too heavy and awkward for my liking (and i didn't realise you could hire the pram that goes with them, i thought you had to buy one, and we can't afford that).  So i just put my kids in the pram when i started doing the school drop offs.  It was quite a pain in the bum to be honest, so i got my kids used to the kiss and drop pretty quickly.  At our school they don't like parents coming up to the classrooms anyway (because it's a tiny school), and you can see the door, etc. from the carpark.

When DS3 is at kindy, i do have to go in though, and now i pop DD2 in the Ergo (which is seriously the best thing i have EVER bought for my children.  I wish i had bought one 6 kids ago!), and DS4 walks in with me.

#12 MotherClucker

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

You need one of these !!

http://www.gobubbago.com.au/index.php?main...19da4d45188c0ae

#13 muggins_00

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

QUOTE (MotherClucker @ 04/01/2013, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had one with a single reclining seat after the twins were born, haaaaaaaaaated it. Argh.

#14 ubermum

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

I was lucky. All I had to do was park at the school and another mother would take her in.

#15 muggins_00

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE (ubermum @ 04/01/2013, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was lucky. All I had to do was park at the school and another mother would take her in.

I'm hoping by August when I'm going the run on my own with the 6 littlies I'll have made some school mum friends who will be able to help me out like this. Fingers crossed!

#16 melaine

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE (muggins_00 @ 29/12/2012, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ETA: Make that 6 littlies, twins again  ohmy.gif

Oh my!

Congratulations!! Think you might be needing that adventure buggy after all...

#17 lactasticmama

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

I've got no advice sorry, but just wanted to add my congrats on your twins!

#18 What'sNext??

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

Oh my indeed!!  Congratulations!

I second the make a friend who can help with school run... Find out who lives nearby.  My school friends were amazing when I had #4.   We were very blessed with good friends, but also being walking distance to school.

Good luck!!  I can't even begin to imagine.

#19 Walkers

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

I did it last year and found it a bit tricky with a newborn but after a few months it just became routine.
Dh was able to help out off & on in the beginning depending on work shifts which was really handy. I used the kiss & drop for school and on kinda days I walked as often as I could leaving the toddler & baby in the pram, or used a sling if I drove. I found the toddler the most difficult as she is one of those runaway, non-hand holding types.
Even though we were new to the school there were lots of help offers from other mums, so fingers crossed that will happen for you.

ETA - that was with 5 though, not 6!

Edited by FoxyRetro*Gal, 04 January 2013 - 09:40 AM.

#20 SMforshort

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

Congratulations!

And my advise is please please ask for help.

Not only will you need to be managing all those little bodies between home and school twice a day but doing this while managing sleeps and feeds etc.

If you don't know anyone who can help, contact the president of your school parents and friends or P&C and see if they know someone who can help you out with taking your oldest child to and from school.

If your child was going to my school I would happily do this for you and it would cause me very little inconvenience as my three are all at the primary school now.

SM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.