Doppler
Are they worth it?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 HeartMyBoys

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

Was wondering if anyone has purchased a doppler, and if they work well? Im thinking of getting one this time. For peace of mind after a loss

#2 jobo77

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

Most advice on EB seems to be along the lines of don't do it, they offer no medical help etc (all of which is valid) but from a personal experience I found it great for that occasional reassurance. I didn't use it until the 2nd trimester and rarely once I began to feel baby moving. I think if you are prone to become super anxious though if you don't pick up the HB properly (or at all which can happen) it might be better not to have one as it could make you more anxious than you might normally be. Mine worked okay - it wasn't that expensive & the headphones were a bit dodgy but you could definitely hear the heartbeat well along with the cord etc as long as you got it in the right spot original.gif

#3 New mum of one

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

Hi OP,
I bought an angel sounds fetal doppler from quicksales.com.au at around 11 weeks and it's been worth it's weight in gold. I heard it can be hard to know where to find the heartbeat so I got my doc to find it on hers and it was enough of a guide for me. I even hooked it up to the stereo so all the grandparents could hear the little one on Xmas day original.gif

#4 Fairey

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

Firstly ~ Congratulations on your pregnancy!!

I bought myself one when pregnant with my daughter, for reassurance after a loss.
Eventually I knew exactly where to place it on my tum to find the heartbeat straight away. I used it a few times a week from my second trimester onwards and then rarely used when I was feeling regular kicks.
The key is to not stress yourself out if you don't find the heartbeat straight away.

I loved having it. I have some great memories of me and DH laying on our bed, with our earphones in, holding hands and listening to the heartbeat of our bubba original.gif

#5 HeartMyBoys

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

Thanks girls.
I think i will get one. I understand how i could get anxious if i couldn't find it right away, but i'll keep that in mind when using it.

#6 JRA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

Are they worth it? Are you a medical professional? Why else would you want one?

#7 =R2=

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

Are you feeling baby movements OP or have you gone through periods where you have had to go to hospital for decreased movements?

Being vigilant about baby movements should be all you need for reassurance.

#8 Eirinn

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

I understand the need for reassurance after a loss. I really do, having had both a miscarriage and a second trimester stillbirth. But please consider how overuse of ultrasound, with no medical reason, may affect your baby:

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/ultrasound.asp

#9 soontobegran

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

I think most people know my view on home use of dopplers so I agree with Eirinn when she says that she understands the comfort of hearing a HB after a loss. I really do have great empathy and understanding why some women buy/hire them.

They are a medical tool to be used by medical staff and IME they cause quite a deal more stress for many people than help it.
Having a doppler will not impact the outcome of a pregnancy ever. Being conscious of foetal movement and having normal growth of your uterus will.

The doppler is meant to be used infrequently and for a very short time only..usually only the matter of seconds when your doctor or midwife listens in the second trimester. They should not be used daily or even several times a week and they should not be held onto the uterus for minutes at a time trying to locate a heartbeat......they are not designed for this and the possibility of risk has not been eliminated as home doppler usage is quite a new thing so there has not been the study to determine what overuse can do.

OP I wish you every good luck. If you are worried at any time just take yourself into the midwife at your hospital, they really will not mind putting your mind at ease.

#10 HurryUpAlready

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (JRA @ 29/12/2012, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you a medical professional? Why else would you want one?

For peace of mind, after experiencing a loss - as per the OP's original post, which I am sure you read.

From someone who has been in the same position, I completely understand, OP. If I wasn't so sick, and thus very well aware that I was pregnant, I would have used one too after a girlfriend who had also experienced a loss recommended it to me for peace of mind.

Ignore all the posts you'll get on EB saying how evil a Doppler is. If you want it, get it (& as you've already acknowledged, just remember that the hb can be hard to find sometimes).

#11 Chocolate Addict

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:08 PM

I agree with the last to PPers. They are not meant to be used by non medical people. I would be worried about over use causing issues. As STBG said, there is no studies done at this stage so why potentially put your child at risk??

#12 zrello

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

I have no idea if its safe or not, but a friend of mine uses my baby's beat on iPhone and says it works really well. You need to use headphones with it.  I think for me personally, it would become too easy to be addicted to hearing it all the time.

My kidwife always told me to call or drop in any time I was worried & wanted to hear bubs.  Hopefully yours does the same.

#13 zrello

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

I have no idea if its safe or not, but a friend of mine uses my baby's beat on iPhone and says it works really well. You need to use headphones with it.  I think for me personally, it would become too easy to be addicted to hearing it all the time.

My kidwife always told me to call or drop in any time I was worried & wanted to hear bubs.  Hopefully yours does the same.

#14 soontobegran

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE (HurryUpAlready @ 29/12/2012, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ignore all the posts you'll get on EB saying how evil a Doppler is. If you want it, get it (& as you've already acknowledged, just remember that the hb can be hard to find sometimes).

The OP asked about dopplers, why should only people who think favourably about them reply? sad.gif
To not recommend the use of a doppler does not mean one is devoid of empathy for the reasoning that someone might like to use one.
There are no studies that have determined they are safe to use as a device at home because home use is a new trend.
In a normal pregnancy a midwife or doctor would listen to the FH approximately 9 times for approximately 10 seconds which would mean a total of about a minute and a half of U/S's for the foetus to endure.
Since women have been using them at home their use is uncontrolled with women starting to listen to an embryo of 9 weeks and prodding and poking for minutes at a time to find the heartbeat and then many listen daily and sometimes more.
Nobody knows if this is safe, I certainly do know that there are many studies which state that the foetus does react and the U/S's may cause heat damage to cells.

#15 JRA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE (HurryUpAlready @ 29/12/2012, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For peace of mind, after experiencing a loss - as per the OP's original post, which I am sure you read.

From someone who has been in the same position, I completely understand, OP. If I wasn't so sick, and thus very well aware that I was pregnant, I would have used one too after a girlfriend who had also experienced a loss recommended it to me for peace of mind.

Firstly, I think you will find many of us who have replied have had a loss at some point in the pregnancy, some early, some late.

Secondly, the Op asked a question if it was worth it. She did not ask which brand etc to buy, but if it was worth it. If it was only those that thought they were replied, it would be a bit pointless asking the question wouldn't it?

#16 HurryUpAlready

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 29/12/2012, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The OP asked about dopplers, why should only people who think favourably about them reply? sad.gif
To not recommend the use of a doppler does not mean one is devoid of empathy for the reasoning that someone might like to use one.

I didn't say people who disagree shouldn't post STBG, I said the OP should feel free to ignore the haters & get one anyway if that's what she wants to do. I knew exactly how this thread would turn out, I was trying to give the OP a bit of a heads up about what was to come.

OP, I know several women who have used a Doppler with no adverse affects on their kids. Of course you should do your own research & make up your own mind. You'll get some very strong "anti Doppler" opinions from EB.

#17 HurryUpAlready

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE (JRA @ 29/12/2012, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
..., the Op asked a question if it was worth it. She did not ask which brand etc to buy, but if it was worth it. If it was only those that thought they were replied, it would be a bit pointless asking the question wouldn't it?

Then it's entirely up to the individual as to whether it is "worth it",  isn't it. If I was anxious after a loss & needed to hear that heartbeat for reassurance then, for me, it'd be worth it.

#18 Bluemakede

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE (zrello @ 29/12/2012, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have no idea if its safe or not, but a friend of mine uses my baby's beat on iPhone and says it works really well. You need to use headphones with it.

unsure.gif there is no way I would stick my mobile or ipod up against my uterus, I'd be to worried about the radiation given out.

As for the doppler I'm with STBG and others, I've had a loss this year (and 2 others not in my sig) and was extremely anxious during my first trimester, and I still see no reason whatsoever for the use of dopplers if you aren't a medical professional. The dr's and midwives use the doppler for tiny periods of time every few weeks, not several times a week, and I'm sure majority of women using them at home aren't using it for short bursts of time. There's no way I'd use one at home until it is well established what prolonged and regular use can do to the foetus (as it was the 2nd time a doppler was used in this pregnancy my baby was moving away from it, the dr wasn't even pressing down hard at the time, that alone made me think it can't be that great). As anxious as I get to me the thought of potentially doing some harm to the baby just for my benefit wasn't a good enough reason.

If you're worried go see your midwife or GP (I know my GP would check for the HB for me if I asked).

#19 soontobegran

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE (HurryUpAlready @ 29/12/2012, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I said the OP should feel free to ignore the haters & get one anyway if that's what she wants to do.

I am not a 'hater' at all.
I think it is unwise for anyone to ignore opinions or studies which do not recommend the use of dopplers.
In years to come women may regret they didn't take heed. As I said there are no studies to say that prolonged use at home is safe and in fact there are studies to say that U/S and dopplers should be kept to a minimum even by health professionals.

OP have you thought of getting a Pinards which can be used in the later weeks of the second and third trimester? They are completely non invasive.

Edited by soontobegran, 29 December 2012 - 09:13 PM.

#20 klr70

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

From my own personal experience (one early loss, one late loss, both with "strong" heartbeats present at various checkups), the presence of a heartbeat is no guarantee that "everything is all right" with your baby. So hearing a heartbeat would offer me little reassurance. For me, personally, I have no interest in using a doppler. As others have said, if I needed reassurance, I saw my obstetrician.

OP - you will do whatever you feel is right for you & your baby. I wish you all the best with your pregnancy.

#21 Justaduck

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

I didnt have a doppler...I had a Graco Prenatal Listener. It is not an ultrasound device like the doppler is so doesn't pose the risks they do. It doesn't detect a heartbeat until a bit later on though (around 18 weeks I think I picked it up, although packaging says 30). It is just an amplifier.
Not sure if you can get them here as mine came from Hawaii

#22 littlebug

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

I loved having one. I had it for reassurance due to previous losses and I also have lovely memories of hearing the HB with hubby original.gif I have lent it to friends who also loved using it.

#23 HeartMyBoys

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

When i asked are they worth it, i meant cost wise, do they work well, otherwise i wouldn't waste my money.
Obviously im not a medical professional, otherwise i wouldn't have asked the question.
I am very anxious this time around, and i know to hear the heartbeat whenever i wanted would put my mind at ease for sure. If they put the baby at risk i would reconsider. These days there's so many things that are supposedly harmful to babies it's hard to keep up!
I appreciate all the feedback

#24 HeartMyBoys

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (littlebug @ 29/12/2012, 10:27 PM)
15192022[/url]']
I loved having one. I had it for reassurance due to previous losses and I also have lovely memories of hearing the HB with hubby original.gif I have lent it to friends who also loved using it.

Which brand did you use? If you dont mind me asking

#25 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:34 PM

I have also had a miscarriage. I never got a dropper. I was very concerned about the lack of evidence proving they are safe. Also babies hate dopplers and move away from them. I just wonder how they feel when they are being poked with one. y.

I don't think dopplers are a good idea especially if you are already worried. What if you can't find the heart beat? It will just cause more stress.

And as Klr said, the presence of heart beat doesn't mean everything is well. I never knew DD2 was in distress until the OB picked it up. If I had of listened to the heart beat on a home doppler I would have assumed everything was okay.

Hope everything goes well with the pregnancy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.